AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which Album (CD or Vinyl) Are you listening to now

2M views 67K replies 1K participants last post by  Mike Lang 
#1 ·
Let us all take a break from arguing over various subjects like: which speakers sound better, cd vs vinyl, cheap vs pricey players and just focus on music. The 5.1 boys have a section let us use this to discover new music from everyones collection 2 ch style.

#27,841 ·
vinyl

Save the Last Dance for Me was Ben E. King's 14th studio album, released in 1987. This was King's last new release on an LP. Future new studio releases have been released on CD.

Benjamin Earl King (September 28, 1938 – April 30, 2015), known as Ben E. King, was an American soul and R&B singer and record producer. He was perhaps best known as the singer and co-composer of "Stand by Me" (no. 25 on the RIAA's list of Songs of the Century) and as one of the principal lead singers of the R&B vocal group the Drifters.

King achieved five number one hits: "There Goes My Baby", "Save The Last Dance For Me", "Stand By Me", "Supernatural Thing", and the 1986 re-issue of "Stand By Me". He had 26 Top 40 hits from 1959 to 1986. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a Drifter; he was also nominated as a solo artist.

King died on April 30, 2015, at the age of 76 from coronary problems. King was survived by his wife of 51 years, Betty, and three children.

#27,843 ·
vinyl

Pearls: Songs of Goffin and King is an album by American singer-songwriter Carole King, released in 1980.

She grew up in Brooklyn and learned the piano when she was four years old. While at James Madison High School in the 1950s, Carol Klein changed her name to Carole King and made demo records with her friend Paul Simon. Neil Sedaka dated King when he was still in high school.

King's career began in the 1960s when she, along with her then husband Gerry Goffin, wrote more than two dozen chart hits for numerous artists, many of which have become standards. King and Goffin wrote "The Loco-Motion" for their babysitter Little Eva. Other songs of King's include "Half Way To Paradise" [Tony Orlando], "Take Good Care of My Baby" for Bobby Vee, "Up on the Roof" for the Drifters, "I'm into Something Good" (Herman's Hermits), "Pleasant Valley Sunday" for the Monkees, and "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" for Aretha Franklin.

"You've Got a Friend" won the Grammy for Song of the Year, with King becoming the first woman to win the award.

In 2000 Billboard named King the most successful female songwriter of 1955–99 because she wrote or co-wrote 118 pop hits on the Billboard Hot 100.

She was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for her songwriting.

#27,844 ·
...Billie
HOLIDAY

THIS YEARS KISSES

(CD)

This wraps up Proper Records 4 CD box set of Billie's music. CD's run 71 to 75 minutes each for a total of 99 songs, a lot of good music for her fans :D I listen and wonder, she does not have a powerful voice with great range, at least to my ears, and yet there is something captivating in her voice ;)

Playlist for these CD's attached:

Attachments

#27,856 ·
vinyl

Hero is a studio album by Clarence Clemons. Known for his saxophone work with Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band from 1972 until his death, Clemons released this pop album at the height of Springsteen's popularity following the success of Born in the U.S.A. It spawned two hit singles, 1985's "You're A Friend Of Mine", a duet with Jackson Browne also featuring Browne's then-girlfriend Daryl Hannah on background vocals, and 1986's "I Wanna Be Your Hero".

Born in Norfolk County (later the city of Chesapeake), Virginia. When he was nine, his father gave him an alto saxophone as a Christmas present. Clemons also showed potential as a football player and attended Maryland State College on both music and football scholarships. He tried out for the Cleveland Browns and the Dallas Cowboys. However, the day before, he was involved in a serious car accident which ended any plans of a career in the National Football League.

The story of how Clemons first met Bruce Springsteen has entered into E Street Band mythology and the event was also immortalized in "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out"...
One night we were playing in Asbury Park. I'd heard The Bruce Springsteen Band was nearby at a club called The Student Prince and on a break between sets I walked over there. On-stage, Bruce used to tell different versions of this story but I'm a Baptist, remember, so this is the truth. A rainy, windy night it was, and when I opened the door the whole thing flew off its hinges and blew away down the street. The band were on-stage, but staring at me framed in the doorway. And maybe that did make Bruce a little nervous because I just said, "I want to play with your band," and he said, "Sure, you do anything you want." The first song we did was an early version of "Spirit in the Night". Bruce and I looked at each other and didn't say anything, we just knew. We knew we were the missing links in each other's lives. He was what I'd been searching for.​

As a guest musician he also featured on Aretha Franklin's classic "Freeway of Love" and with Twisted Sister as well as performing in concert with the Grateful Dead and Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band. As an actor Clemons featured in several films, including New York, New York and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. He also made cameo appearances in several TV series, including Diff'rent Strokes, Nash Bridges, The Simpsons and The Wire.

Clemons suffered a stroke and died of complications from it on June 18, 2011. Three years following his death, Clemons, along with the rest of the E Street Band, was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Found this in the dollar bin yesterday... price was right, I've been listening to Springsteen a lot lately, I'm always looking to stretch my listening circle, and he's got a cool name :cool:. But in all honesty, this LP should stay in 1985. :p

#27,859 ·
vinyl

Hold Out is the sixth album by American singer/songwriter Jackson Browne, released in 1980. Although critically the album has not been as well received as other Browne recordings, it remains his only album to date to reach #1 on the Billboard chart.

Clyde Jackson Browne (born October 9, 1948) is an American singer-songwriter and musician. After graduating in 1966, Browne joined the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. In 1968, Browne first met Glenn Frey. They co-wrote "Take It Easy".

Browne has written and recorded songs such as "These Days", "The Pretender", "Running on Empty", "Lawyers in Love", "Doctor My Eyes", "Take It Easy", "For a Rocker", and "Somebody's Baby".

Three of Browne's albums – For Everyman, Late for the Sky, and The Pretender – were selected by Rolling Stone magazine among the 500 best albums of all time.

In 1985, he sang a duet with Clarence Clemons in a song called "You're a Friend of Mine".

In 2004, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Bruce Springsteen gave the induction speech, commenting to Browne that although the Eagles were inducted first, he said, "You wrote the songs they wished they had written". Browne had written an uncounted number of hit songs that many artists, including the Eagles and Springsteen himself, had recorded over the span of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.