Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Rock Spectacle----------Barenaked Ladies

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

I think it would actually be Loud/Quiet/Loud and they actually made a documentary about the Pixies first comeback tour with the same title. The Pixies are one of my favorite bands. I saw them live in 1991 (just before they broke up) and once during the comeback tour. They were actually fantastic during the comeback tour. The Violent Femmes opened.

Yeah, I thought about that; but many of their songs start off quiet...then build to a crescendo.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Old 03-31-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

No Need to Argue----------The Cranberries

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Pat Metheny Group - Speaking of Now

Old 03-31-2012, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I feel sorry for people who aren't that bright. You know the ones; there's a math situation in front of you, and you see them figuring it out...when you were there many seconds ago. I feel the same way about people who don't get music. Who just listen to whatever the radio decides to play, or have a handful of CDs because they really liked that one song.

They likely don't get the Pixies; really understand how brilliant their music is. Their Quiet/Loud/Quiet formula laid the foundation for seminal albums of the 90s like Nevermind, Ten, Siamese Dream, et al.

Bossanova is actually my least favorite of the 4; but has one of my favorite singles, Velouria.

CD

I feel sorry for elitists who truly base their worth as a human on their CD collection, who go around acting superior to other people just because they like something that a lot of people haven't heard of.

Yeah the Pixies are okay. I listened to them a lot in high school when I was obsessed with any American rock. I also thought Sonic Youth were the epitimy of cool. Now I realise a lot of their stuff was arty ******** with no substance (still can't believe I spent $30 on the Whitey Album!). Then again some of it was purely wonderful unpretentious rock.

You will be a lot happier when you realise that good music is not always underground or unnoticed by radio stations. Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Ben E. King, Eric Clapton were all extremely popular on radio, household names yet more influential on music than the Pixies ever were. They're all right there on my shelf next to Albert King and Buddy Guy. I don't discriminate when it comes to good music.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Joe Cola View Post

I feel sorry for elitists who truly base their worth as a human on their CD collection, who go around acting superior to other people just because they like something that a lot of people haven't heard of.

Yeah the Pixies are okay. I listened to them a lot in high school when I was obsessed with any American rock. I also thought Sonic Youth were the epitimy of cool. Now I realise a lot of their stuff was arty ******** with no substance (still can't believe I spent $30 on the Whitey Album!). Then again some of it was purely wonderful unpretentious rock.

You will be a lot happier when you realise that good music is not always underground or unnoticed by radio stations. Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Ben E. King, Eric Clapton were all extremely popular on radio, household names yet more influential on music than the Pixies ever were. They're all right there on my shelf next to Albert King and Buddy Guy. I don't discriminate when it comes to good music.

Sounds like you have a lot of music to me. Besides dude; the Pixies are hardly underground. The Wavves are "underground", and Animal Collective; and...let me look at my other 4998 CDs. Please relax; it was just one comment, about how I'm really glad I'm one of the ones who likes music...doesn't just consider it something to have on in the car while I'm driving. You sound like one of me, so why are you b*tching?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Old 03-31-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:

Easy pal. I'm not sure that's where CD was coming from. I think one can also argue that just because something is popular doesn't necessarily make it good. I imagine people who know me may perceive my behavior as elitist as well but I just happen to enjoy less mainstream music than the "average Joe." Stevie Wonders and Eric Claptons only come around once in a while. That's what makes musicians of this caliber special. Now where's that Lady GaGa record at?

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Old 03-31-2012, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

Easy pal. I'm not sure that's where CD was coming from. I think one can also argue that just because something is popular doesn't necessarily make it good. I imagine people who know me may perceive my behavior as elitist as well but I just happen to enjoy less mainstream music than the "average Joe." Stevie Wonders and Eric Claptons only come around once in a while. That's what makes musicians of this caliber special. Now where's that Lady GaGa record at?

My neighbor has it. She plays it twice every day! Still!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Pat Metheny Group - Pat Metheny Group

Old 04-01-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 1497
LTE

LTE2

-
Rodrigues
Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

My neighbor has it. She plays it twice every day! Still!

And you know what...good for your neighbor! (not so good for you...lol). At least she's passionate about it, and that was my point. YJC thought I was being a snob about the type of music people like; that's wrong. Sure, GaGa isn't my thing (although, truth be told...she's not what most people think she is)...but I don't judge people for their taste in music (ok, maybe a little...but I try to keep an open mind); my commentary was about people who are indifferent to music altogether. That's what I find to be sad.

If YJC is into Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Ben E. King, Eric Clapton...cool; those are all fine artists. Point is, he's into music. If I asked him to make an argument for why Stevie Wonder is so good...and how he shaped R&B, I bet he could make a damn fine one! He's not the guy I'm talking about. I'm talking about the guy (or gal of course) who says "I like music", but really only listens to what comes on the radio. Sure...it might sound judgmental, and it's not like I walk away from them at a party or anything...lol; there are other things in the world to have passion about about. It's just to me, anyone who just listens to what the radio puts in front of them...rather than seeking out music...isn't what I would consider a "music lover" (and yes, likely might not even know who the Pixies are. If you've heard them, and they're not your cup of tea, that's another matter altogether). BTW...I feel the same kind of disdain for the "audiophile", who has $20,000 worth of gear, and 20 CDs (or whatever his medium of choice is). To me...the reason to spend that kind of money on gear, is to have the music you love sound it's best; not just to show off Dark Side Of The Moon, or Norah Jones.

In any case...by definition, none of the people I'm talking about, would even be in this thread; so take comfort.

CD

Old 04-01-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

A little early-morning Sade, as I wrote my post. Now go ahead and criticize my musical taste...lol.

CD

Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 AM

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan LP

From 'The Original Mono Recordings' box set. I cannot recommend this box set enough. Original mono master tapes...exact reproduction jackets and inners (including textures)...pressed at RTI HQ/180g...

Old 04-01-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Another one from the vault. Despite being a favorite of the British tabloids because of Pete's many problems these guys made some good music.

The Libertines-The Libertines (2004)
LL

Old 04-01-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

A Passion Play----------Jethro Tull

Old 04-01-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Original Masters--------Jethro Tull

Old 04-01-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

And you know what...good for your neighbor! (not so good for you...lol). At least she's passionate about it, and that was my point. YJC thought I was being a snob about the type of music people like; that's wrong. Sure, GaGa isn't my thing (although, truth be told...she's not what most people think she is)...but I don't judge people for their taste in music (ok, maybe a little...but I try to keep an open mind); my commentary was about people who are indifferent to music altogether. That's what I find to be sad.

Oh, I find Ms. GaGa to be quite talented. My gripe is with someone who listens to any album daily - or worse yet, twice daily.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Pat Metheny w/Holland, Haynes - Question And Answer

Old 04-01-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

America's Choice-----------Hot Tuna

Old 04-01-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

CD

Old 04-01-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The Nice - Nice

Old 04-01-2012, 11:30 PM

CDLehner you hit the nail on the head and I get where you're coming from better now.

The difference between someone who loves music and someone who listens to music is the former actively seeks out what they really like without being told what to like by either the mainstream or cool-guy hipsters.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

The Nice - Nice

Nice!

-
Rodrigues
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Citizen Steely Dan: 1972-1980 [Box set]

-
Rodrigues
Old 04-02-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Humble Pie - Town and Country

Old 04-02-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Lots of kindred spirits here.......

am still breaking in my Maggies - today with Stomu Yamashta - Go

Attachment 242473
LL

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

Old 04-02-2012, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Us and Them: Symphonic Pink Floyd. Don't now if anyone on here has had a chance to listen to this or not, but if you like Floyd I recommend giving this a listen. It's the London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Peter Scholes, and produced by Youth and arranged by Jaz Coleman of Killing Joke. For anyone who is into metal or power metal I recommend listening to Crimson Glory's Transcendence CD. It had been a while since I listened to it, and Midnight's vocals are as powerful as I remember.

Cliff
Old 04-02-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

New Wave anyone?

The Cars-The Cars
LL

Old 04-03-2012, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection

Old 04-03-2012, 07:26 AM

Van Morrison
The Best of Van Morrison Volume 3
Blue and Green

"Blue and Green" was previously donated to be used on the charity album Hurricane Relief: Come Together Now, which raised money for relief efforts intended for Gulf Coast victims devastated by hurricane Katrina.