post #61 of 68 Old 03-07-2008, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Huh??

That was a poorly worded sentence. I was trying not to be emphatic.

The point I was trying to make was:

What I could have said was" But do the test on higher end system and you will notice the difference."

But this comment is emphatic and does not allow for a variety of variables, including the listener's ability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 03-07-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

It's not about people rebelling against big companies, but Apple using closed proprietary systems to lock customers into and selling repackaged technologies for a profit.

God God, they make a profit???!!!! They should be flogged!

Seriously, some people have a philosophical problem with DRM in general. In practice, however, the restrictions Apple places on the files it sells are not a hindrance to most people. Apple has also loosened those restrictions over time, and market forces (not to mention European regulators) will force them to continue to do so.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #63 of 68 Old 03-07-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

God God, they make a profit???!!!! They should be flogged!

Seriously, some people have a philosophical problem with DRM in general. In practice, however, the restrictions Apple places on the files it sells are not a hindrance to most people. Apple has also loosened those restrictions over time, and market forces (not to mention European regulators) will force them to continue to do so.

Seriously, some people have a philosophical problem with locked down carrier network in general. In practice, however, the restrictions carriers such as AT&T and Verizon places on their networks and cell phones they sell are not a hindrance to most people. Carriers has also loosened those restrictions over time, and market forces will force them to continue to do so.

See how ridiculous that sounds when we are about 3 years behind in terms of mobile technology? Feel free to plug and play other proprietary technology system formats into the paragraph, such as Quicktime, CDMA, Windows, etc. Either they dominate the market (and fark you over) or they die within a decade. Guess which path would iTunes/Apple Lossless take.

Dave Starkon's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #64 of 68 Old 03-07-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Except we're not 3 years behind in terms of MP3 player technology, are we? So what is it that Apple doesn't allow you to do that you would like to be able to do? And why is it that you can't buy another brand that will allow you to do that?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, or defend Apple. (I'm a Mac user, but I admit they have their faults, ahem, back-dating stock options, ahem.) And I'm generally pro-open networks and such. But I don't see much in the way of practical problems here. What am I missing?

post #65 of 68 Old 03-08-2008, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing. Apple does what other companies wish they could. It's called covering your A$$.
How many mp3 players have been made by companies that can't compete and no longer make them? I am not an Apple fan. I wouldn't own a Mac or an Iphone but I like my Ipod just fine and it doesn't bother me in any way that I can only install it on 5 computers. I can burn all the CDs I want and play them on any compatible cd player. So far I haven't run into one that wouldn't play one.
post #66 of 68 Old 03-09-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Except we're not 3 years behind in terms of MP3 player technology, are we? So what is it that Apple doesn't allow you to do that you would like to be able to do? And why is it that you can't buy another brand that will allow you to do that?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, or defend Apple. (I'm a Mac user, but I admit they have their faults, ahem, back-dating stock options, ahem.) And I'm generally pro-open networks and such. But I don't see much in the way of practical problems here. What am I missing?

Not yet, because there's a big crowd disgusted by Apple's closed iTunes/iPod platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler View Post

Nothing. Apple does what other companies wish they could. It's called covering your A$$.
How many mp3 players have been made by companies that can't compete and no longer make them? I am not an Apple fan. I wouldn't own a Mac or an Iphone but I like my Ipod just fine and it doesn't bother me in any way that I can only install it on 5 computers. I can burn all the CDs I want and play them on any compatible cd player. So far I haven't run into one that wouldn't play one.

Count the number of mp3 players that's compatible with iTunes or the number of jukeboxes that's compatible with iPod.

Dave Starkon's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 68 Old 03-09-2008, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Count the number of mp3 players that's compatible with iTunes.

Well, that would be one. But if you own another player, pretty much every song you can buy on iTunes, you can buy somewhere else in a format that'll play on whatever MP3 player you happen to own. So in the short run, at least, this restriction isn't a problem for anybody.

But I think I can see a problem in the long run. If you own an iPod, and you buy 1000 songs from Apple, and then your iPod breaks, you are locked into buying another iPod. Again, most current iPod owners won't mind that at all. But some might want to switch brands--and can't, without re-buying all those songs. And if some other manufacturer comes up with a really great innovation, those locked into JobsWorld won't be able to take advantage of it.

Of course, smart iPod owners can avoid this by buying their music from somewhere other than iTunes.

post #68 of 68 Old 03-09-2008, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
There is a very simple way to get around Apple's DRM software that will allow you to use your iTunes purchases with any other MP3 player.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page