Turntables, where to start? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2008, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recently came across a garage sale and was able to pick up some real good music on records. Alas, I have no turntable to play them on. I have been looking on craigslist and using google but it seems like every model I find has crappy reviews. Granted, I am looking at the budget end of the spectrum but I didnt think it would be this hard to find a decent tt. Can anybody recomend some good models to start out with that I may be able to find used for under $100 or so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Does your receiver have a phono input?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Old 03-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As Chu said.......we need more info about your existing system.

$100 and under will not be easy.

Is this just a 'curiosity thing' or do you plan on going forward with analog ?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 327
If you have a phono preamp available, I would recommend this.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
The Gem Sound DJ-USB actually isn't terrible, especially if you use a heavyish platter mat on it to absorb some of the resonances of the platter, and a tiny bit of rumble. The Audio Technica cartridge supplied with it is FAR better than it has any right to be. The package (minus the platter mat, which you'll have to buy separately, and which WILL make an improvement!) is about 129.99. I know it's not "audiophile approved". But it IS good. Shockingly good for the price. Don't take my word for it, here is a sample of what it sounds like (actually it sounds better, as this is a lossy file, because space on my website isn't unlimited!) http://www.theproductionroom.net/mccartney.wma
Old 03-04-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, if you don't absorb the resonances, it'll be just like the early Linn's

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Old 03-04-2008, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

i frequent a used mid and hi-end audio shop and sometimes can pick up some really good deals on pre-owned great quality turntables, digital media players, spkrs, electronics, etc. owner backs up everything-refund (for 2 weeks), trade, credit!
maybe look in your area for such a shop.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You know twitch, I was thinking back to when I bought my first "real" turntable and I think it was a Thorens. I don't recall the model, after all, the 70's were a bit hazy. But I remember that it cost close to a couple of hundred dollars and in retrospect while it was kind of decent for the time, it really wasn't all that. It wasn't that I had a good job back then rather it was I had one that provided a 'service'. Running one of the inflation calculators, I find that from 1970 to 2008 the inflation rate is about 450%. Now that means in terms of today's dollars I would've spent roughly $900 and I'll bet that dropping almost a grand today gets you one pretty decent table. So, I look at the $100 or so the OP wants to spend and figure that's a little under $25 in 1970 money. I think about the only thing you could get back then was something from Radio Shack. Just musing... I like mcnarnus' suggestion though if you're buying new.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Receiver is an older Onkyo SR-700. It does have a Phono in jack with standard red/white stereo inputs. Will this work?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

You know twitch, I was thinking back to when I bought my first "real" turntable and I think it was a Thorens. I don't recall the model, after all, the 70's were a bit hazy. But I remember that it cost close to a couple of hundred dollars and in retrospect while it was kind of decent for the time, it really wasn't all that. It wasn't that I had a good job back then rather it was I had one that provided a 'service'. Running one of the inflation calculators, I find that from 1970 to 2008 the inflation rate is about 450%. Now that means in terms of today's dollars I would've spent roughly $900 and I'll bet that dropping almost a grand today gets you one pretty decent table. So, I look at the $100 or so the OP wants to spend and figure that's a little under $25 in 1970 money. I think about the only thing you could get back then was something from Radio Shack. Just musing... I like mcnarnus' suggestion though if you're buying new.

Chu,

Perhaps a Thorens TD-160? That was a very popular model during that time period as I purchased one also during the 70's. I think I had an Ortofon M-60 cartridge. Haze was prevalent no doubt and at times, purple.

"Man plans, God laughs"
Old 03-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaman View Post

Receiver is an older Onkyo SR-700. It does have a Phono in jack with standard red/white stereo inputs. Will this work?

Not familiar with it, check your owners manual to be sure . If it does in fact have a phono stage built in I suspect it's for higher output cartridges(MM) only.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

I did some searching and found California Sound and Lighting which appears to mostly be a DJ shop. They are having a sale on a Gemini TT-01MKII. Would this be an ok table to use for a home sound setup? My understanding is that there is some difference between DJ and Home audio turntables, just not sure what. Thanks for all the info so far!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaman View Post

I did some searching and found California Sound and Lighting which appears to mostly be a DJ shop. They are having a sale on a Gemini TT-01MKII. Would this be an ok table to use for a home sound setup? My understanding is that there is some difference between DJ and Home audio turntables, just not sure what. Thanks for all the info so far!

no how, no way, uh uh, not even.....
afaik, from the catalogues i used to 'study', the cartridge on a dj tt is run at a very heavy mass/weight. maybe its different, now. i could be wrong, here.
you'll grind those record to dust. i would never use a dj tt in a 1000 yrs!

unless of course, i was a dj!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd worry about the cartridge that comes with the Gemini. DJ cartridges tend to track very heavy, which may be necessary for DJing but isn't what you what at home. (The same is true for most cheap-o turntables. The Technics I suggested earlier is the exception.)

If your receiver has an input labeled Phono, then you're all set as far as a phono preamp is concerned. (It won't work with moving coil cartridges, but in your price range, you're unlikely to come across one.)

Old 03-04-2008, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I will check out that Technics table that you mentioned then. Also, I had read something about problems with shipping a turntable. Would that be something to consider if I ordered off of Amazon?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Turntables are more fragile than other audio gear, but a new table will be packed to ship. (It's already crossed the Pacific Ocean, for heaven's sake!) When you get it, you'll have to install the belt and loosen a screw or two, but the set-up instructions are very clear.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

I found a Marantz TT2000 and a Denon DP 26F for sale locally. Would either of these be good TTs to go with?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:13 PM

tunaman,

If your current receiver/amp does not have a phono preamp (aka "phono stage") built into it, you will have to buy one to be able to use the turntable. Don't worry, it's no big deal - and it doesn't have to cost a lot of cash, either.

To hook up a turntable and phono preamp:
Turntable -----> phono preamp -----> receiver (perhaps an "AUX" input jack)

+++++++++++++++++++++

As for a really inexpensive option for a phono preamp, I bought one recently for my "second system" - and it only cost about $20.00. It works pretty well. I apologize for not knowing how to post links, but the name is:
Pyle PP-999 Phono Preamp

Good luck to you!!!
Kevin
Old 03-12-2008, 02:32 PM

If price was no object, what turntable would you guys buy for a home, no dj stuff, just the best (in your opinion) tt today?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chuckles View Post

If price was no object, what turntable would you guys buy for a home, no dj stuff, just the best (in your opinion) tt today?

I haven't listened to the really insanely priced high end variants, but of what I consider "High End beyond my means" it would be the SME 30/2 that I would choose, the Koetsu Bloodstone Platinum I believe was the cartridge in use at the time of my audition in June of '07. Sounded marvelous....but then for damn near 50k it should have !!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't even afford to have an opinion on this.