Confused (I need help) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-08-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know much of anything about speakers/amplifiers/etc., all of this technology is scary and confusing.

I am currently looking for an audio system for listening to music, so I guess a 2 channel system is plenty.

From what I understand I would need a set of speakers (are monitors ok), an amplifier, a digital to analogue converter, and a cd player. Is this correct? Is it possible to buy something for less than $2000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-08-2008, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

$2000 can get you a decent stereo setup. What kind of music do you listen to? Do you intend to watch movies on this system?

CD players come wit good enough DACs so you dont have to buy an external one. Do you intend to hook up your computer to the stereo? Some people don't even by a cd player anymore, they just hook up their computer music server, is that something you are interested in? or do you own a collection of cds already?

You might figure 1k$ in speakers, 1k$ into electronics, 20-30$ in cables.

Do you want your bass from a subwoofer?

What size room do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot55 View Post

I don't know much of anything about speakers/amplifiers/etc., all of this technology is scary and confusing.

I am currently looking for an audio system for listening to music, so I guess a 2 channel system is plenty.

From what I understand I would need a set of speakers (are monitors ok), an amplifier, a digital to analogue converter, and a cd player. Is this correct? Is it possible to buy something for less than $2000?

post #3 of 9 Old 03-08-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I listen to a fairly wide variety of stuff, ranging from country, to rock (nothing hard or metal), to jazz, to opera, to classical. It doesn't seem that a subwoofer is that important since 40-50hz is already lower than most instruments (I believe the doublebass just barely fits into this range).

I already have a collection of CDs, but most of it is backed up onto my computer. This is the primary goal of the system, though the ability to connect a computer or television set is of course nice.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-08-2008, 05:43 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 813
A competent CD player will cost $100 or less. A competent integrated amp will cost $200-300. You should spend the rest of your budget on speakers. Take care.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-08-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I listen to a fairly wide variety of stuff, ranging from country, to rock (nothing hard or metal), to jazz, to opera, to classical. It doesn't seem that a subwoofer is that important since 40-50hz is already lower than most instruments (I believe the doublebass just barely fits into this range).

I already have a collection of CDs, but most of it is backed up onto my computer. This is the primary goal of the system, though the ability to connect a computer or television set is of course nice.

Well, speakers good to 40hz means they are actually good to 60hz. The idea of using a subwoofer would be to ease the main speaker's job (lowering distortion) and getting good kick drums.

That being said, either a good 3-way floorstanding speaker, or monitor + sub combination is well within your budget. Do you know what speakers you have heard that you like or dislike the sound of?

While competent CD players don't cost much at all, you might have to spend more based on what you want for cosmetic looks, features, and other things you might be particular about.

How large is your room?
post #6 of 9 Old 03-08-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Would something like this make for a good system:
I don't know exactly how large my room is, but I live in the city, so it's fairly small compared to rooms I've seen in rural/suburban areas.

I know someone who built their own speakers, and those sounded great, but I don't know the brand of the drivers or anything.

I also like the sound of these JBL monitors that we have at school.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-08-2008, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Would something like this make for a good system:
I don't know exactly how large my room is, but I live in the city, so it's fairly small compared to rooms I've seen in rural/suburban areas.

I know someone who built their own speakers, and those sounded great, but I don't know the brand of the drivers or anything.

I also like the sound of these JBL monitors that we have at school.

Here is a suggestion.
2-ch bottlehead tube pre-amp used for $250
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ube&1208633890
Citation Harmon Kardon amp $375
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1208816439
Marantz DV 6500 $275
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lay&1208231830
DH labs interconnects $65
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ntr&1208264944
Vandersteen model 3a $1200
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1209128559
Total based on asking price is $2165 plus shipping. Note that you can negotiate prices down. So there is the starting point. Enjoy the journey.

This should propel you to the doorway to borderline high-end 2-ch audio. The above are just suggestions, to get you started and get you thinking along these lines.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 PM

My recommendation is to look for a Nakamichi TA-4A receiver (this is technically a tuner / amplifier) IMHO there is not much for under $1000-1500 that will compare when it comes to SQ. Then look for a set of Martin Logan speakers.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-09-2008, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
If you already have your CDs digitized to your computer, I'd at least consider a squeezebox in lieu of a CD player. I know FMW is very happy with his, and I just bought my first one last week - the new Squeezebox Duet. I can't even begin to tell you how much more enjoyable music listening has become knowing that I have my entire music collection in the palm of my hand. No more changing discs, I just use the remote to select artist and title and hit play. There is no lag time at all, and the sound quality is as good as a basic CD player.

This is one very cool piece of gear
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page