What are some older good 2 channel receivers to get for cheap? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-13-2008, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Yamaha V1600 but am going to downgrade back to 2 channel...my wife is pregnant and my loud 7 speaker days are going to end soon...

I am trying to sell my V1600 and grab a good older 2 channel...

Cant really decide on what brand to look at ..I always had HK receivers in the past...

Looking at Onkyo's , HK, Denon and Sony ES....

someone recomend and rock solid receiver as I will only need it for stereo music from now on...4 speakers at most...

dont need all the stuff anymore ...jsut need good solid power...more the better..

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-13-2008, 02:02 PM

Liked: 11
A old Marantz would be hard to beat.I buy them off ebay and fix them up.They have a sound that is quite nice.Plus they look better than any receiver ever made.A 2275 or 2230 would be great.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-13-2008, 02:18 PM

Hi Gentlejax
When I had the opportunity to set up a 2 channel I went with an old Rotel. I paired it with some Celestion 3's, a little 8.2 Energy and have a nice little 2.1 system.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-17-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlejax View Post

I have a Yamaha V1600 but am going to downgrade back to 2 channel...my wife is pregnant and my loud 7 speaker days are going to end soon...

I am trying to sell my V1600 and grab a good older 2 channel...

Cant really decide on what brand to look at ..I always had HK receivers in the past...

Looking at Onkyo's , HK, Denon and Sony ES....

someone recomend and rock solid receiver as I will only need it for stereo music from now on...4 speakers at most...

dont need all the stuff anymore ...jsut need good solid power...more the better..

thanks

While I can understand where you are coming from, you may want to rethink your decision.

Since your wife is expecting, you may want to keep your surround system. You can forget about any serious 2 channel listening after your child is born. It will be all kids movies in a year or so. There won't be an opportunity to enjoy any time in the "sweet spot".

Take it from the father of a 2 year old.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-17-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Superscope R1220

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #6 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 05:10 PM

Liked: 12
Pioneer SX780 or 980. They're from the 70s but they're well built and don't cost a lot on ebay.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I know you're looking for a change, but if you can't play the system you have very loud, you're not going to be able to play the 2-ch system any louder. And, certainly, "more the better" power is contrary to your first statements.

Come clean...what's really going on?

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

what I meant was I was downsizing speaker wise...instead of 8 ...I will now just have 4...

what I really use the unit for is music so I want a receiver geared more for that rather than theater or movies...

does that make more sense...

and when I said I dont listen to movies loud that was true...wife cant stand it...but she does like to crank up the tunes when around the house...

so loud stereo is fine ..loud movie is not..
post #9 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

You are going about this all wrong. I take it this is your first child. You're supposed to use the baby as an excuse to put $20k into the home theater.

"You know, with a baby we won't be able to go to a movie theater for a few years. So we should spend a lot of money to build a nice HT since we'll be watching movies at home for a while." Note: wives only fall for this once. If you think you've fooled her twice, you're wrong, she knows what you're doing but purposely allowing you to get away with it (she probably has something in mind that's going to cost you a LOT more).
post #10 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

for god's sake....I want a receiver for music....I really dont care about the home theater...we barely use it....

I got rid of a 7.1 HT receiver cause I only used it for music.....I know you guys are into your HT but not everyone wants to spend tons of money on it...

I want the best sounding 2 channel for the least amount of money....everyone else can have the HT thing...I dont need it....

sorry..but my point is getting missed or I am not explaining myself...I know I have changed my position since the OP but I think it should be clear now..

forget the baby or the wife....
post #11 of 12 Old 03-20-2008, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 67
The Yamahas are decent receivers and since you have it already, why not just use it in 2-ch mode or whatever?

The resale on your Yamaha receiver probably isn't that great (not dissing, just my opinion, and I have Yamaha stuff) and the TOTL vintage receivers aren't necessarily cheap. There's a fairly big vintage crowd that usually scoops them up unless you happen to stumble upon something they've not found yet. Besides, most of them will need varying amounts of reconditioning to perform up to their original level.

Just throwing some thoughts out there....

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-20-2008, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

I have sold the Yamaha...bought a refurb HK3485 for $140 and I am done with it. It was a simple easy question but thanks anyhow....

no need to keep this going...
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page