Need help, new to 2 channel... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-14-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

I am currently in the market to put together a 2.1 system for the sole purpose of music. My music taste revolves more or less around trance, heavy on vocals and instrumental heavy trance.

My current system is a pre-boxed system, the Logitech Z5500's, information on the system can be found at the Logitech website, as I can't post URL's as I'm new

They are hooked up to my desktop, and do a sufficient job of reproducing music how I would like it, But, I am unhappy with the quality of the satellites, the music often gets drowned out by the sub.

I am very passionate about bass, but would like to move to something that sounds much clearer and crisper when it comes to the mids and highs.

With that in mind, I would like to pick up a receiver($250-$400 range), a pair of excellent sounding book shelves ($250-$750 price range) and a sub, which may come at a later time. I do not want to skimp out on a sub. For the sub I want the bass lines to be super smooth and accurate at all frequency's, as trance can throw a lot out there. I have music playing whenever I am at home, so it would be put to use.

Could anyone point me in the direction of where to start on this system? Even just a receiver + speakers for the time would be good. I leave a wide price range for the speakers, as I'm willing to spend more if needed, but would settle for something at a lesser price if it sounded how I wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-15-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'd start by looking in the yellow pages for local stores that sold hifi gear. Then I'd put together a sample CD that contains some of the music I like to listen to. Next I'd go to all local stores and start listening.

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hotsauce_ View Post

Hi there,

I am currently in the market to put together a 2.1 system for the sole purpose of music. My music taste revolves more or less around trance, heavy on vocals and instrumental heavy trance.

I am very passionate about bass

With that in mind, I would like to pick up a receiver($250-$400 range), a pair of excellent sounding book shelves ($250-$750 price range) and a sub, which may come at a later time. I do not want to skimp out on a sub. For the sub I want the bass lines to be super smooth and accurate at all frequency's, as trance can throw a lot out there. I have music playing whenever I am at home, so it would be put to use.

Could anyone point me in the direction of where to start on this system? Even just a receiver + speakers for the time would be good. I leave a wide price range for the speakers, as I'm willing to spend more if needed, but would settle for something at a lesser price if it sounded how I wanted.

As dknighted says.....get out and listen !

Now two cents worth of advise on bass (sub)......if music is the 'sole' reason for this set-up , then what you want is a 2.0 system that utlizes a 'servo based sub' in conjunction with a good eq set-up. For ease of installation and good value I recomend the "DD" series of subs from Velodyne. You merely run another set of I/C's from a second output of receiver or pre-amp to the sub and bring "it" in with respect to bass roll-off of your main L/R speakers, utilizing the buit in eq programing to facilitate this.

I know I somewhat beleagured the 'bass' point, but you seemed passionete about the need !

Good Luck !
post #4 of 7 Old 03-15-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

A good start would be to get an integrated amp from Cambridge Audio, Rotel, or NAD; the Pioneer Elite is the cheapest one available.

Speakers: Paradigm, PSB, & B&W are good brands to check out first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the AVS honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
post #5 of 7 Old 03-15-2008, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

"Now two cents worth of advise on bass (sub)......if music is the 'sole' reason for this set-up , then what you want is a 2.0 system that utlizes a 'servo based sub' in conjunction with a good eq set-up. For ease of installation and good value I recomend the "DD" series of subs from Velodyne. You merely run another set of I/C's from a second output of receiver or pre-amp to the sub and bring "it" in with respect to bass roll-off of your main L/R speakers, utilizing the buit in eq programing to facilitate this."

So that more or less went right over my head. Could you explain it in um....a non-stereo person kinda way? :P
post #6 of 7 Old 03-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

I'd have a look at an integrated amplifier from NAD or Marantz, or a stereo receiver from H/K, Marantz or Onkyo. You gave a wide price range for speakers. I'd have a serious look at the Concerta M12s from Revel.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-15-2008, 05:41 PM

I listen to a lot of EDM, particularly vocal trance, but I do like hard trance, house, and progressive. My suggestion would be Paradigm Mini Monitors for bookshelves, a higher-end Yamaha receiver (RXV series)--although I would highly recommend going separates (like a Rotel RC-1070 preamp & the small RB series power amp; both can be had for $700-800). The reason I mention that is that the SQ is way better and you can add a different amp. Sometime in the future I would highly recommend picking up a tube amp...these things work magic with EDM. As for the sub, I think a Paradigm PDR-10 would be entry level...they sound nice and blend well, but not quite as tight as you might be looking for and could get out of a Velodyne or B&W. This is where you'll probably need to visit a few shops and listen to various models.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page