AVS Forum banner

Amp and Cd player to power Studio 100 v4's in a 2 channel system

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  whoaru99 
#1 ·
I have already posted this thread in the amp section:

I'm new to this whole audio thing but I have always been a music lover and I want to enjoy my music at home. I have recently bought a pair of studio 100 v.4's, and a velodyne dd-15 sub to hopefully add some musical bass to the system. I'm looking for a 2 channel system, and I will use it exclusively for music listening.

I have been shopping around for a while and I'm a little confused as to what electronics to use to run the speakers. I have been looking at musical fidelity a5 amp and cd player, nad m3 amp and m5 cd player, parasound, krell kav 400xi. I think that's all. I have mostly been looking at integrated amps, but I am open to any suggestions. My budget for a cd player and an amplifier is probably about $5000 total.

By the way, I'm currently living in America but will be moving back to Australia at the end of 2008. Therefore I do not know yet the dimensions of my listening area. I do like to listen to music quite loudly, and I have heard that the Studio 100's need a lot of power.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be awesome.

See less See more
#2 ·
I use a Benchmark DAC-1 and I highly recommend it with any half-decent CD player or changer - a relatively cheap ($975) way to get first class audio from your CDs. Of course it is all a matter of personal taste and what YOU hear, and there are almost endless options out there. Some people like a warm, harmonic-rich preamp such as the Citation 7.0 (my choice) and others like a bright, super detailed sound such as you hear with a Bryston BP-25, which is too sterile and bland for my ears. I suggest you read some reviews and then see what you can find used at Audiogon so you can audition for yourself without breaking the bank. You can even find some new gear there at great discounts. Ecoustics.com is a great source of professional reviews on many audio products, and then there is Audioreview.com for user reviews.

#3 ·
Something very important to look for when getting an amp for Studio 100 is the capability to drive low impedances. The Studio 100s drop below 4 Ohms through a fairly wide sweep of the upper bass/lower midrange, dipping to a minimum of 2-2.5 Ohms around 100Hz.

IMO, they don't need massive amounts of power (although they do well with it). Most importantly is they need an amp that can deliver the goods at the aforementioned lower impedances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.