cheap preamp for studio speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi there,

i'm building a new hifi setup for my auntie, 1k price range. got a little studio of my own and am a big fan of genelec systems. was gonna buy her small genelecs, like 8020as, but can't find a reasonably priced preamp. just need 3 line inputs and volume control for stero. i think 200$ should surfice for the job, but everybody seems to be charging 600bucks and more. hell, i could buy a 12 channel mixer for that kind of money. there's pro-audio equipment that could do the job, like rane or ecler 19" rack mixers, but you have to set volume for left and right seperately, no remote control.. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Buy a stereo receiver that has preamp outs. I think the Yamaha RX-397 does. Don't know of any cheaper than that.

Another possibility is the Audio Source Pre One/A, but I don't think it has a remote.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Old 03-28-2008, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

lucky auntie, genelecs!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

thx man, u made my day!
had no idea that there was receivers with preamp outs, and now i get the much needed tuner on top. from looking at pictures of the backside of said yamaha i don't think it fit the bill, only out is tape. but now i what to look for.
price isn't that crucial, 300 also okay, if you got another one at the top of your mind without researching i'll send u a chocolate cake. (if you're somewhere in europe, if you in the states i can only send you a picture)
Old 03-29-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Sorry about the Yamaha rec. I think the Denon DRA-297 might fill the bill. (Although it may not have a phono input, if that matters.)

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Old 03-29-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If you want to use a receiver with preouts (a good idea) I recommend a H/K - much better sound, IMO. And their fully warranted refurbs are great deals. Go to harmanaudio.com and check the "specials."

"The truth is out there!"
Old 03-30-2008, 12:36 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

of if you don't mind used: NAD, Rotel, Adcom all made preamps with built in Tuners in the past. They can be had pretty cheap (I know at least for the NAD). You can check Audiogon for these guys.

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
Old 03-31-2008, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanx guys,
i think i'm goonna go with dsmith901's recommendation of H/K. Sitting here in central europe, cant get any of that refurbished stuff and i just wont touch ebay...
hey by the way, if any of you guys know a real good preamp.. let me know.
while i'm at it, i might just ask here: i'm also setting up a hi end system for a friend of mine with genelec 1034c, all the pro audio equipment i been looking at can give me the 120-130db dynamic range that i'm looking for, but no remote control. but all those nad, vincent marantz preamps will only give me around 100dbs which is fracked. in my studio i got a clean 120dbs and DVD-Audio is just the **** on a setup like that, sounds as dynamic as a kangaroo with springs attached. would be nice if we could keep it in the 1000 buck area.