AVS Forum banner

2.1 speakers for my dorm room

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  sivadselim 
#1 ·
Im tired of my laptops speakers. I want to get an inexpensive but decent set of 2.1 or 2.0 speakers. I dont know much about speakers but I want something that sounds pretty good and gets pretty loud and thats not gonna take up too much space. I was looking at the logitech z-2300 and they looked like the right ones everyone seemed to love them but then i came across a bunch of reviews that said they didnt have good sound which worried me but im not sure if i would even be able to notice. Does anyone know how they are? i just want them to sound a little better than my laptop speakers but the big thing is i want them to be louder. i have a macbook pro. I want to spend around 80 a little more is ok or less is better for decent sounding speakers that get loud. If you could reccomend some on amazon that would be great.

thanks.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/13559761

Try altec lansing.

I use the Lansing. I can tell you they are pretty dark. I don't have much experience with a lot of different computer speakers but I can tell you the Lansings are definitely dark sounding. I haven't replaced them so I guess they aren't too bad but I prefer more treble content in the presentation than the Lansings provide. Maybe one I'll day I'll hear some that really ring my chime and change.

#6 ·
I've been using a Cambridge Soundworks for some time now on the computer - not the model shown below but the $50 set (its out of stock, but I'll vouch for the sound). The model below ($79.99) looks like it has a better subwoofer

Quote:
SoundWorks is a compact, amplified subwoofer/satellite speaker system designed by Henry Kloss. It delivers high-quality, wide-range "big" sound from a very small, very affordable system.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotshotintheeye /forum/post/13545291

I want to get an inexpensive but decent set of 2.1 or 2.0 speakers.

So, which is it?

VERY generally speaking, you could probably get nicer speakers with a 2.0 setup than with a 2.1 setup but, obviously, the bass performance may not be up to par with that which you can get with a 2.1 system.

You may want to consider some small, inexpensive powered studio monitors.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/13566801

So, which is it?

VERY generally speaking, you could probably get nicer speakers with a 2.0 setup than with a 2.1 setup but, obviously, the bass performance may not be up to par with that which you can get with a 2.1 system.

You may want to consider some small, inexpensive powered studio monitors.

im not sure. im in a bit of a pickle.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/13564620

I've been using a Cambridge Soundworks for some time now on the computer - not the model shown below but the $50 set (its out of stock, but I'll vouch for the sound). The model below ($79.99) looks like it has a better subwoofer

the $80 ones look good. I dont know how to ask this but how loud can they get? maybe compared to some laptop speakers?is a higher amount of watts always louder?

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotshotintheeye /forum/post/13567463

the $80 ones look good. I dont know how to ask this but how loud can they get? maybe compared to some laptop speakers?

they can go pretty loud without distortion (you can trust Henry Kloss ). the subwoofer makes a huge difference compared to laptop speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotshotintheeye /forum/post/13567463

is a higher amount of watts always louder?

almost always, i guess - but it depends on the efficiency of the speakers. with hi-eff speakers all you need is 2W or 3W

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/13568719

they can go pretty loud without distortion (you can trust Henry Kloss ). the subwoofer makes a huge difference compared to laptop speakers

almost always, i guess - but it depends on the efficiency of the speakers. with hi-eff speakers all you need is 2W or 3W

do you know how many watts laptops usually have?

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotshotintheeye /forum/post/13569289

no idea.

if you are using powered speakers - well, almost all 2.1 systems - the power output of the laptop doesn't matter. it would feed a line-level signal to the 2.1 unit

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/13569361

no idea.

if you are using powered speakers - well, almost all 2.1 systems - the power output of the laptop doesn't matter. it would feed a line-level signal to the 2.1 unit

i just wanted to get an idea of how much louder the speakers would be than my laptop speakers because the big reason i want speakers is because my laptops speakers dont get loud enough.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotshotintheeye /forum/post/13569289

A couple, probably. But laptop speakers are tiny as it the compartment within which they are housed. They can only do so much, even if they had 20w behind them. The wattage is not the sole determinant of the "loudness", anyway.

The Cambridge Soundworks speakers that were linked to are not bad computer speakers at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.