What is YOUR Reference CD or SACD?? - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #331 of 360 Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellenback View Post

While I'm at it; Amber Rubarth's "Sessions from the 17th Ward" -- a binaural recording on the excellent Chesky label -- may have already been mentioned. If it hasn't, it should be, as it ranks with the best of recordings.

I used to wonder why more didn't record with Binaural technology, but found out the answer is the cost.

Sorry if, due to sheer ignorance, I'm completely mistaken here... but the reason why more audio recordings aren't made using binaural technology doesn't appear to be one of "cost", at all. According to what I read in the Wikipedia article you linked, binaural recordings are designed to be listened to exclusively via headphones. The binaural recording technology's output does not translate to systems employing loudspeakers.

I don't doubt that the majority of those who read or have contributed to this particular thread, have (and enjoy) a set of high-end phones (myself included)... but I would also think that most of them would prefer listening to well-mastered audio via their loudspeaker systems, as opposed to their headphones -- or at the very least, have the ability to do so. The inability to do so would be enough to keep me from purchasing any binaural recording.

Again, if I'm completely off base here, I apologize... and will happily receive and appreciate any clarification offered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 360 Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by B 26354 View Post

Sorry if, due to sheer ignorance, I'm completely mistaken here... but the reason why more audio recordings aren't made using binaural technology doesn't appear to be one of "cost", at all. According to what I read in the Wikipedia article you linked, binaural recordings are designed to be listened to exclusively via headphones. The binaural recording technology's output does not translate to systems employing loudspeakers.

I don't doubt that the majority of those who read or have contributed to this particular thread, have (and enjoy) a set of high-end phones (myself included)... but I would also think that most of them would prefer listening to well-mastered audio via their loudspeaker systems, as opposed to their headphones -- or at the very least, have the ability to do so. The inability to do so would be enough to keep me from purchasing any binaural recording.

Again, if I'm completely off base here, I apologize... and will happily receive and appreciate any clarification offered.

First off I should have been more clear relating to the cost statement. What I meant is that for the number of people who would likely purchase a binaural recording, it would add cost to the already substantial expense of producing a standard stereo CD/LP of great sound quality.

The recording I mentioned by Amber Rubarth is binaural but whether played through headphones or speakers I find it to be an excellent example of a well performed and recorded piece of music.

Personally I do listen on headphones frequently. When listening that way I experience the 3D effect that a binaural recording produces. That said, Chesky is a pretty consistent label when it comes to releasing music and whether listening through speakers or headphones the "Sessions" recording by Amber Rubarth sounds exceptional.

As far as the "3D" binaural effect when listening through headphones, some love it others mot so much. If it is well done, as I hear it to be in this recording, I would highly recommend giving it a listen to decide for yourself if it is something you'd appreciate.

I believe this is the article that refers to the cost/difficulty of creating a binaural recording that sounds very good through both headphones and speakers. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/researchanddevelopment/2013/03/listen-up-binaural-sound.shtml

If I misread it or came to the wrong conclusion I apologize.

This is Chesky's info/blurb on the Amber Rubarth "Sessions" page:

Quote:
The Chesky Records Binaural+ recording technique, fit for both speakers and headphones, captures the timeless sound of musicians playing in great acoustic settings.
post #333 of 360 Old 04-28-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Chesky and Sound Liaison

I listen mostly on headphones,(HD 800), and have found that I prefer recordings with a good placement of the various instruments. For some reason I had not gotten to the Chesky recordings but now that I have I am very pleased.
The sound stage of the Amber Rubarth recording is reminiscent of my favorite and critically acclaimed Sound Liaison recording with Carmen Gomes, and the Carmen Gomes recording is not a binaural recording ,but just a very well made audiophile recording which also happens to sound very very good on headphones.

Comparing the 2 albums I still think that the Sound Liaison recording is a notch above the Chesky. The voice of Gomes is warmer recorded with less ''ssssss'' and I like the ''black'' background.

But both albums are top audiophile albums and not to forget very well played too!!!
http://www.soundliaison.com/
http://www.chesky.com/

Last edited by Suite; 01-24-2015 at 05:30 PM. Reason: links
post #334 of 360 Old 04-28-2014, 02:34 PM

Liked: 157
Suite and Hellenback... thank you both for your responses. I very deeply appreciate the clarification... and I truly look forward to experiencing these recordings.
post #335 of 360 Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

This is my favorite right now:

large?type=dvd&v=3

Nothing comes close smile.gif

http://www.2l.no/

yea, thats one of my favorites too
post #336 of 360 Old 05-02-2014, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18

Just finished listening to these 2 ;

The Old Man and the Sea and After Silence. These downloads are very impressive.  thank you all for the recommendation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suite View Post

Downloading from the Sound Liaison can be a bit tedious, no download manager but worth the trouble, I think. I just read this on the audio asylum site, kind of explains the old fashioned procedure.
Quote:
 And my new reference music now definitely includes the music from the Sound Liaison label.
I believe it was on the Naim forum I saw a member describe the music as´´like buying milk from a farmer,straight non pasteurized´´
Sound Liaison are selling their own recordings,and is all done in house,recording,mixing,and even selling the music.
the files are one to one copies of the Studio Master straight from the desk,and you can listen to the music before you buy which I find a big plus.
I have got the beautiful ´Thousand Shades of Blue´ from Carmen Gomes inc.
and ´Road to Memphis from Paul Berner Band.
Carmen Gomes has recorded several audiophile albums for the marantz´sts
label,but I find this one much more satisfying,in audio terms. More depth,space,placement,intimacy and balance.
The Road to Memphis album is the ultimate pairing of americana and jazz,and an Elvis Presley tribute with no singer!or maybe the sound track of the movie they still have to make.
My favorite track is the ´Colonel´,Michael Moore enters with just a whisper on his clarinet before he plays the beautiful melody, at 00.47.

The Sound Liaison recordings sounds to me a bit like the best of the recordings done in the late 50´s i.e. Kind of Blue,Brubeck´s Time out,Take Five,same kind of spaciousness and in combination with modern recording technology it´s a unique sounding result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post

I just listened to the downloads. Wow, even on the computer (with headphones)! I'm looking forward to getting the tracks onto my real stereo. Thanks to all that listed these two albums and the link to Soundliaison.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite View Post

Hi Jim did you get the new one too?

I think this is their best so far or at least as good as the previous albums. The music is very appealing, fills my mind with colors.

And I actually sat down and reread the old man and the sea while listening. Marvelous experience.

and it's available as wav and as flac, the flac is cheaper for some reason...?

Wav; http://www.soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-showcase-series/109-batik

Flac; http://www.soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-showcase-series/110-batik-flac
just jim and Suite like this.
post #337 of 360 Old 05-17-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 97
This is my reference DVD

Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton
post #338 of 360 Old 10-14-2015, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotec View Post
One of my favorites is Santana - Abraxas MFSL vinyl.
Pink Floyd - "Dark Side of the Moon" has always been my go-to CD when testing stuff.
maxfli44 likes this.
post #339 of 360 Old 10-19-2015, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by just jim 

I am "thinking about planning" an upgrade(?) to a digital library on a server to be able to access my music without having to make a trek to the stereo to change the CD's. Stop laughing, this is a big step for me. ...and I'm holding on for dear life to Windows 7 too! I suspect there is a thread on servers here somewhere. You have to love AVS!

Thread? There is a whole subforum devoted to networking and streaming audio and video throughout your home. Take a look and read a lot. It's worth it once you understand what it's all about and know what you're doing. Don't expect to get it with 15 minutes of light reading. It will likely take a few weeks to absorb.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/39/network...tent-streaming
OK! 18 months later, I have a 12TB NAS with a humble 500GB of FLAC (and counting) connected to my home network running through a dedicated I5 HP computer and Chord 2Cute DAC to my Mac 4100 and out Celestion SL12’s and Boston Acoustic audiophile in walls/ceiling speakers. I’m happy!!! My DJ friend came over and has come to the realization that FLAC beats the crap out of his Mp3 320kbps library. My neighbour who said, “Don’t waste too much money on a DAC, a good sound card is good enough”…and “you don’t need more than MP3 320kbps,” has copied my library and is realizing what his Bryston 4B can do with his B+W’s. Another friend who has recorded many 1000’s of LP’s into Mp3 is afraid to come over and hear what he is missing. I can’t wait to get my big Mac system connected in my HT! Of course, I have to get my woodworking machines out of the “HT” and actually do the build out…

Next project is to replace the simple Russound volume controls with controls that can actually remotely control the stereo and show what is playing.

A big Thank You! to everybody that offered advice on getting me set up with digital sound! I’m now a believer. Still an old fart, but a believer. ;-)

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #340 of 360 Old 10-19-2015, 08:40 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses View Post
Hello all. As I grow older I'm getting more into 2 Channel Stereo than I used to be. I'm now on the hunt to find out the best quality Cd's or Sacd's to "Show off" the best my system can do. I'm really into Acoustic and/or Classical as well as classic rock.

So, what I'm asking is, what CD do YOU put in when you want to showcase the best your system can sound or wow one of your neighbors?
This is what I use

Classic rock

- The Dark Side of the Moon, 30th Anniversary Edition Pink Floyd

- Rage Hard-Sonic Collection Hybrid SACD - DSD, Import Frankie Goes To Hollywood

- Invisible Touch: Special Edition Hybrid SACD - DSD, Original recording remastered, Import Genesis

- Come Away with Me Hybrid SACD - DSD

- The Singles Collection: The London Years Box set, Hybrid SACD - DSD, Original recording remastered, Import The Rolling Stones

- Brothers in Arms Hybrid SACD - DSD Dire Straits

Classical:

- Mozart Symphonies 38 Through 41 Hybrid SACD - DSD Scottish Chamber Orchestra

- Berlioz Les nuits d’ été, La Mort de Cleopatre. Karen Cargill, Scottish Chamber Orchestra / Robin Ticciati. Linn SACD
post #341 of 360 Old 11-05-2015, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 68
What is YOUR Reference CD or SACD??

My reference: Ola Gjeilo's Stone Rose SACD and Piano Improvisations Blu-Ray Audio albums

Roma
post #342 of 360 Old 11-13-2015, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
It may have been mentioned already but my first choice when auditioning new gear is Janis Ian's "Breaking Silence", the Analogue Productions release.
post #343 of 360 Old 12-01-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
This is my favorite right now:

Nothing comes close

http://www.2l.no/
Shows "Image Missing" on my end.

What was image?
post #344 of 360 Old 12-01-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Telarc Sample CD - Great dynamics, varying music styles and clean recordings.
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior Vinyl Stanley Clarks bass is the standout here along with Lenny White on drums. Good for the low end.
Donald Fagan - The Nightfly Vinyl Great dynamics, vocal harmony
Enya - Shepard Moons CD Spectral workout, huge dynamics
Poco - Cantamos Quad Vinyl Opening track, what a guitar and banjo should sound like. Sagebrush Serenade

Klipsch so much it Hz
OTA all the way
79 LaScala's
78 Heresy's
Onkyo, Grommes
Thorens
post #345 of 360 Old 12-01-2015, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 174
The Beatles White Album, Abbey Road
Alan Parsons Tales of Mystery and Imagination
Michael Franks The Art of Tea, Sleeping Gypsy
Santana Abraxas, Santana III, Caravanserai
Steely Dan Aja
Billy Joel 52nd Street and many others.

Parasound A21 Amp, Parasound 2100 PreAmp, Marantz SA 8004 CD Player, Onkyo Integra T9090II Tuner, Legacy Signature III Speakers
post #346 of 360 Old 12-01-2015, 08:44 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #347 of 360 Old 12-01-2015, 08:47 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
519audiofan likes this.
post #348 of 360 Old 12-23-2015, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From a vocal standpoint I think

Joss Stone - the soul sessions

Track - For the love of you

Is amazing on my system it sounds like she's right in front of me. What a great vocal and to think she was 15 going on 16 when she recorded that I believe.

Give it a shot and let me know what you think

post #349 of 360 Old 12-23-2015, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From a vocal standpoint

Joss Stone - the soul sessions

Track- for the love of you

Amazing vocals, sounds like she's in my living room. I think she was 15 going on 16 when she recorded this which makes it even more amazing to me.

Give it a shot and let me know what you think

I tried to post this before but don't think it went through so sorry if it doubles.
post #350 of 360 Old 03-15-2016, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Beck - Morning Phase
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Avishai Cohen - Flood
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Pretty much anything Donald Fagan/Steely Dan recorded
Most of the MSFL/MOFI remasters
For Jazz on vinyl, the Music Matters remasters
SimpleTheater and cgramer like this.
post #351 of 360 Old 07-19-2016, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Amen on the Donald Fagen/Steely Dan. :-) "Security Joan" on his "Morph the Cat" album sounds amazing, as does "Snowbound" on his "Kamakiriad" album. For Steely Dan, my favorite CD is "Gaucho," though "Aja" (mentioned by a much earlier poster) is also really good.

I also use Joe Jackson's "Big World" album from 1986 to demo a system. True, it sounds a little harsh, but it's got great dynamic range and the recording captured the venue well, I think (it's a live, direct-to-digital 2-track recording).

Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" from the album of the same name is another one I love to use as a demo, not because it's particularly well recorded but because that guitar solo is just brilliant and gut-wrenching, and I've heard it on so many systems that I know if it sounds "right" to me. :-)

Last edited by cgramer; 07-19-2016 at 09:44 AM.
post #352 of 360 Old 07-19-2016, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgramer View Post
Amen on the Donald Fagen/Steely Dan. :-) "Security Joan" on his "Morph the Cat" album sounds amazing, as does "Snowbound" on his "Kamakiriad" album. For Steely Dan, my favorite CD is "Gaucho," though "Aja" (mentioned by a much earlier poster) is also really good.

I also use Joe Jackson's "Big World" album from 1986 to demo a system. True, it sounds a little harsh, but it's got great dynamic range and the recording captured the venue well, I think (it's a live, direct-to-digital 2-track recording).

Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" from the album of the same name is another one I love to use as a demo, not because it's particularly well recorded but because that guitar solo is just brilliant and gut-wrenching, and I've heard it on so many systems that I know if it sounds "right" to me. :-)
Forgot to mention a few others:

Suzanne Vega's "Left of Center" CD single. A great live recording that captured the ambiance of the venue very well, with a snare drum "snap" I haven't heard elsewhere. Her "Days of Open Hand" album, particularly the track, "Men In a War," is also really good with a nice, "snappy" snare drum and great guitar work.

Telarc put out an album called "Spies: Music of Espionage." The music was pretty ho-hum, kind of funky, kind of jazzy, but the sound was really, really good.

They also put out some great pops compilations, including "Time Warp," "Star Tracks," and "Star Tracks II." It's orchestral music from movies, mostly sci-fi (think Star Wars, Close Encounters, E.T., etc.) and other blockbusters (Superman, Indiana Jones, and so on).
16hz lover likes this.
post #353 of 360 Old 07-19-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 560
2 Channel SACD:
Doobie Brothers Toulouse street

5 Channel SACD:
Toto IV
Dire Straights-Brothers in Arms
post #354 of 360 Old 07-19-2016, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have a number of SACDs I like to use to demo my system. In no particular order:

Roxy Music - Avalon
Beck - Sea Change
Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Steely Dan - Aja
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (I usually reserve DSOTM or 5.1 demos)
The Eagles - Hotel California
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Jeff Buckley - Grace

Most people are familiar with many of these. So, they can appreciate the selections, as well as the quality of the sound.
post #355 of 360 Old 07-21-2016, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Telarc-Spies
Telarc-Time Warp

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe, nowhere else could things be this screwed up.
post #356 of 360 Old 08-08-2016, 12:12 PM

Liked: 11
x2 on Jeff Buckley - Grace
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia CD with bonus HDCD track
Chesky's Ultimate Demonstration Disc Volume 2 CD & SACD - good for equipment evaluation and speaker placement.
Joan Osborne - Relish CD (I do)
Ella Fitzgerald - Any Verve re-issue. Even people who never heard of her will be drawn in by that voice!
And I just got a new one I'm very impressed with: Bonnie Bishop - Ain't who I Was CD
post #357 of 360 Old 08-29-2016, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Some of my favorites that may not have been mentioned:

Michael Murray - Bach: Toccata & Fugue in D Minor
Clifford Jordan - Live at Ethel's (Mapleshade)
Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman SACD
Eddie Jobson - Zinc SACD
Mark Levinson - Red Rose Music SACD
Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions SACD
DTS Surround Demonstration DVD #4 (Yes a dvd, but contains some great demo songs!)
post #358 of 360 Old 08-31-2016, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
I have three reference CDs, in no particular order:

Flim & The BB's - Tricycle (1983)

Fourplay - Fourplay (1991)

Snarky Puppy - We Like It Here (2014)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fourplay_fourplay.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1633457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tricycle.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1633465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snarky.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	1633473  
audiofan1 likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Polk LSiM705s, LSiM706C, LSiM703s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet + Duet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #359 of 360 Old 09-03-2016, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked: 1599
Just added this to the sacd collection and it gets my reference nod. Starts out great but the last track "Silent Pool" was just incredible

post #360 of 360 Old 09-04-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 242

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/do...dvd-audio.html

Track 6 Is spectacular.

Talking Heads Brick Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio