What is YOUR Reference CD or SACD?? - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 338 Old 04-27-2014, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Bought it! Very nice album thanks for the tip.

While I'm at it; Amber Rubarth's "Sessions from the 17th Ward" a binaural recording on the excellent Chesky label may have already been mentioned. If it hasn't it should be as it ranks with the best of recordings.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

I used to wonder why more didn't record with Binaural technology but found out the answer is the cost.[/quote]

Why the cost? It seems like a reasonable cheap solution compared with a real recording studio.

Here they call it a very simple set up;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 338 Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellenback View Post

While I'm at it; Amber Rubarth's "Sessions from the 17th Ward" -- a binaural recording on the excellent Chesky label -- may have already been mentioned. If it hasn't, it should be, as it ranks with the best of recordings.

I used to wonder why more didn't record with Binaural technology, but found out the answer is the cost.

Sorry if, due to sheer ignorance, I'm completely mistaken here... but the reason why more audio recordings aren't made using binaural technology doesn't appear to be one of "cost", at all. According to what I read in the Wikipedia article you linked, binaural recordings are designed to be listened to exclusively via headphones. The binaural recording technology's output does not translate to systems employing loudspeakers.

I don't doubt that the majority of those who read or have contributed to this particular thread, have (and enjoy) a set of high-end phones (myself included)... but I would also think that most of them would prefer listening to well-mastered audio via their loudspeaker systems, as opposed to their headphones -- or at the very least, have the ability to do so. The inability to do so would be enough to keep me from purchasing any binaural recording.

Again, if I'm completely off base here, I apologize... and will happily receive and appreciate any clarification offered.
post #333 of 338 Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by B 26354 View Post

Sorry if, due to sheer ignorance, I'm completely mistaken here... but the reason why more audio recordings aren't made using binaural technology doesn't appear to be one of "cost", at all. According to what I read in the Wikipedia article you linked, binaural recordings are designed to be listened to exclusively via headphones. The binaural recording technology's output does not translate to systems employing loudspeakers.

I don't doubt that the majority of those who read or have contributed to this particular thread, have (and enjoy) a set of high-end phones (myself included)... but I would also think that most of them would prefer listening to well-mastered audio via their loudspeaker systems, as opposed to their headphones -- or at the very least, have the ability to do so. The inability to do so would be enough to keep me from purchasing any binaural recording.

Again, if I'm completely off base here, I apologize... and will happily receive and appreciate any clarification offered.

First off I should have been more clear relating to the cost statement. What I meant is that for the number of people who would likely purchase a binaural recording, it would add cost to the already substantial expense of producing a standard stereo CD/LP of great sound quality.

The recording I mentioned by Amber Rubarth is binaural but whether played through headphones or speakers I find it to be an excellent example of a well performed and recorded piece of music.

Personally I do listen on headphones frequently. When listening that way I experience the 3D effect that a binaural recording produces. That said, Chesky is a pretty consistent label when it comes to releasing music and whether listening through speakers or headphones the "Sessions" recording by Amber Rubarth sounds exceptional.

As far as the "3D" binaural effect when listening through headphones, some love it others mot so much. If it is well done, as I hear it to be in this recording, I would highly recommend giving it a listen to decide for yourself if it is something you'd appreciate.

I believe this is the article that refers to the cost/difficulty of creating a binaural recording that sounds very good through both headphones and speakers. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/researchanddevelopment/2013/03/listen-up-binaural-sound.shtml

If I misread it or came to the wrong conclusion I apologize.

This is Chesky's info/blurb on the Amber Rubarth "Sessions" page:

Quote:
The Chesky Records Binaural+ recording technique, fit for both speakers and headphones, captures the timeless sound of musicians playing in great acoustic settings.
post #334 of 338 Old 04-28-2014, 08:47 AM

I listen mostly on headphones,(HD 800), and have found that I prefer recordings with a good placement of the various instruments. For some reason I had not gotten to the Chesky recordings but now that I have I am very pleased.
The sound stage of the Amber Rubarth recording is reminiscent of my favorite and critically acclaimed Sound Liaison recording with Carmen Gomes, and the Carmen Gomes recording is not a binaural recording ,but just a very well made audiophile recording which also happens to sound very very good on headphones.

Comparing the 2 albums I still think that the Sound Liaison recording is a notch above the Chesky. The voice of Gomes is warmer recorded with less ''ssssss'' and I like the ''black'' background.

But both albums are top audiophile albums and not to forget very well played too!!!

http://www.soundliaison.com/products...-inc-sss1-flac
http://www.chesky.com/

Last edited by Suite; 06-13-2014 at 08:01 AM.
post #335 of 338 Old 04-28-2014, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Suite and Hellenback... thank you both for your responses. I very deeply appreciate the clarification... and I truly look forward to experiencing these recordings.
post #336 of 338 Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

This is my favorite right now:

large?type=dvd&v=3

Nothing comes close smile.gif

http://www.2l.no/

yea, thats one of my favorites too
post #337 of 338 Old 05-02-2014, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18

Just finished listening to these 2 ;

The Old Man and the Sea and After Silence. These downloads are very impressive.  thank you all for the recommendation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suite View Post

Downloading from the Sound Liaison can be a bit tedious, no download manager but worth the trouble, I think. I just read this on the audio asylum site, kind of explains the old fashioned procedure.
Quote:
 And my new reference music now definitely includes the music from the Sound Liaison label.
I believe it was on the Naim forum I saw a member describe the music as´´like buying milk from a farmer,straight non pasteurized´´
Sound Liaison are selling their own recordings,and is all done in house,recording,mixing,and even selling the music.
the files are one to one copies of the Studio Master straight from the desk,and you can listen to the music before you buy which I find a big plus.
I have got the beautiful ´Thousand Shades of Blue´ from Carmen Gomes inc.
and ´Road to Memphis from Paul Berner Band.
Carmen Gomes has recorded several audiophile albums for the marantz´sts
label,but I find this one much more satisfying,in audio terms. More depth,space,placement,intimacy and balance.
The Road to Memphis album is the ultimate pairing of americana and jazz,and an Elvis Presley tribute with no singer!or maybe the sound track of the movie they still have to make.
My favorite track is the ´Colonel´,Michael Moore enters with just a whisper on his clarinet before he plays the beautiful melody, at 00.47.

The Sound Liaison recordings sounds to me a bit like the best of the recordings done in the late 50´s i.e. Kind of Blue,Brubeck´s Time out,Take Five,same kind of spaciousness and in combination with modern recording technology it´s a unique sounding result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post

I just listened to the downloads. Wow, even on the computer (with headphones)! I'm looking forward to getting the tracks onto my real stereo. Thanks to all that listed these two albums and the link to Soundliaison.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite View Post

Hi Jim did you get the new one too?

I think this is their best so far or at least as good as the previous albums. The music is very appealing, fills my mind with colors.

And I actually sat down and reread the old man and the sea while listening. Marvelous experience.

and it's available as wav and as flac, the flac is cheaper for some reason...?

Wav; http://www.soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-showcase-series/109-batik

Flac; http://www.soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-showcase-series/110-batik-flac
just jim and Suite like this.
post #338 of 338 Old 05-17-2014, 09:55 AM

This is my reference DVD

Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page