Why can't I tell much or any real difference between speakers? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 131 Old 08-23-2008, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandphan View Post

Why in the he** are guitar and bass amps being introduced into this usless thread anyway

Great picture....and that just about sums it up!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 131 Old 08-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

I didn't say anything about SS or tubes. My point is that this is a home stereo/HT audio forum, and not a musical instrument forum. So I don't know why people keep bringing up what Guitar amps do or don't do.

Uhm, it was sarcasm ... I thought I laid it on pretty thick

Speaker Designer/Builder
Vapor Audio
post #123 of 131 Old 08-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synovia View Post

It was an example, and its not really important. I can't remember the name of every single speaker I've ever auditioned. Not having a photographic memory is one of my flaws, sorry..

So why make the useless "generalized' statement to begin with ?

BTW, photographic memory ???? last I "heard", one judges 'critical / acurate' speakers with ones ears...duhh !!!!!!

To the post of the Train wreck, unfortuneatly another uncalled for grade crossing accident. Don't mess with the train....you loose !
post #124 of 131 Old 08-25-2008, 05:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

You called someone who's selling a $400 power cord sane?

Definitely. Buying a $400 power cord, on the other hand...
post #125 of 131 Old 08-25-2008, 05:47 AM

Returning to the topic:
I can often hear a difference between two pairs of speakers without having a preference. I can say that they don't sound alike, but not which sounds "better".
post #126 of 131 Old 08-25-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

why can't I teel much difference between speakers that are out of my price range and ones that I can afford. I will say the sound is different but not neccesarily better.

I can't really tell too much difference between JBL,Klipsch, and sony speakers. But I can tell that the klipsch speakers are somewhat more dynamic than the other two but Not much else is different. I can't really tell the JBl bookshelves apart from my 70's phillips bookshelf speakers with the exception tha the JBL's seem to be a bit boomier due the port. The philips are acoustic suspension and I think they can go down to 40 Hz while the JBl's probably don't go down more than 50.

I can't tell polk and companies like that much apart either.

Do I have bad ears?

But you CAN hear a difference. Read what you wrote again - the way I read it you ARE hearing a difference. You just haven't decided yet what you prefer, and, how much you are willing to pay for it. All speakers make music, all are a compromise, only you can decide what you prefer, how much you are willing to spend - maybe you'll be lucky and like cheap speakers just fine - but be open to the possibility that you might develop preferences, and that these preferences might change with time. I tend to prefer speakers that do a good job of reproducing acoustic instruments (which includes human voice). But even then there could be disagreement on which speaker is "best" at this for the money. I also like a speaker that does a reasonable job with the rest of the audible range, and is as dynamic as possible - yet still fits in my budget - even if my budget was infinite I don't think I could ever find a speaker that reproduces all the music I like the way I know it can sound based on comparing with live music. I suspect your hearing is fine - you are still new to this hobby - what happens with time is not that your hearing improves, but your ability to listen and decide what you like improves with time - assuming you keep listening (not just hearing, but listening to what you hear) - also your budget tends to increase with time - one of the ironies in life is that as you get older you can spend more on cars and stereos, but your ability to fully utilize them decreases.

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #127 of 131 Old 08-25-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post

- one of the ironies in life is that as you get older you can spend more on cars and stereos, but your ability to fully utilize them decreases.

As George Bernard Shaw said, "Youth is wasted on the young."

post #128 of 131 Old 08-25-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As George Bernard Shaw said, "Youth is wasted on the young."

I wonder how old he was when he said that. Probably not young. Youth is not wasted, it is just part of the process.

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #129 of 131 Old 08-27-2008, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post

I wonder how old he was when he said that. Probably not young. Youth is not wasted, it is just part of the process.

Obviously the philosophical sense of the phrase eludes you.

post #130 of 131 Old 08-27-2008, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Obviously the philosophical sense of the phrase eludes you.

It didn't elude me. I was just speculating on his reasoning, and offering an alternative philosophy.

post #131 of 131 Old 08-27-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf1fan View Post

Has anyone noticed that many of these threads are started by people who have since opted-out of the discussion? Curious...
Anyway, I think the OP's comments were more aimed at the poor setup of department store type audio areas than anything else. Everything he mentioned was similar asian mid-fi stuff that probably does all sound the same anyway, especially in a poor auditioning environment.

Does anyone care to comment on these thoughts?
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page