Bought HK-3490...questions??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2008, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello friends on this forum,
I made my mind and went for a HK-3490 after multiple repairs for the same problem in the last five years on a faithfull Rotel RA 714 from 1979. I think I will love the new amp but few questions arise. To my surprise, the unit generates more heat than I am accustomed to. The Rotel would not heat so much. I was told better amps heat and sometimes they become almost hot. So does it mean I should restrain myself from pumping the volume not to make the amp heat?

Thanks a lot.
Germain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

I had this unit for a short while and never noticed excessive heat output.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation for your receiver. My HK AVR gets pretty warm too after a while, especially if I'm playing it loud. I've had mine for 5 years and use it every day and no problems.

Just make sure it's well ventilated.

Do you have hard to drive speakers?

Afro GT
Old 10-28-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
H/K receivers do run a little warm, maybe because they handle a lot of current. Anyway, just be sure it is well ventilated and you should have no problems.

"The truth is out there!"
Old 10-28-2008, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hi and thanks for your informations,

I didn't know Harman Kardon amps generated a lot of heat. As I said, my old 70's Rotel wouldn't. Here's a photo of the actual location of the HK. It's enclosed in a compartment of a TV and components unit. There's no room to the left and right but 4 inches high of opened space above the HK from front to rear. Do you think it needs more space to "breathe". Some suggest I buy a small fan but I'm not so much interested in that. Speakers are four 200 watts Precision Acoustics 5HD4. They're OK for now.

Waiting anxiously for your inputs. Thanks again. Germain.
LL
LL
Old 10-28-2008, 09:50 PM

Do you have all four speakers running at the same time? If so, I can see why your receiver is hot. It will obviously work that way but it does make the amp work a lot harder than it was designed to do.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hi wuzzzer, I do have the four speakers running "at times" but not al the time. On the other hand, I cannot drive the amp like crazy since I live in a small appartment. Neighbours you know...But anyhow what's wrong with having four speakers? I've carefully selected the HK 3490 cause it had the possibility to run four speakers. So now it "hurts" it to run four speakers. Or are the rear speakers too powerful for this amp. Too bad I cannot return it. The store where I bought it doesn't have a return policy. Only a return and buy something else policicy. Ahh, something told me Harman Kardon was best at producing clarity in music but weak in power. Wrong?

Germain
Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just move it out of the cabinet permanently if it gets too warm. Relax, you made a fine choice.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Doesn't the manual say not to run 4 speakers at the same time?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

From the pictures provided I would say you are okay, but if you have not already done so I would cut a few small holes in the top of the back of the cabinet to enhance air flow. A series of small holes across the top will not be visible and will provide an escape vent for the heat. I did this in my cabinet which has glass doors and which houses two video recorders both of which run pretty warm of course. So far none have failed and heat buildup does not seem to be a problem.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hi dsmith901, thanks for the cue. The back of the cabinet (where one can see loose wires) is completely opened. That is the HK 3490 is not enclosed like in a box. I guess it means the air can flow from front to rear, get out from there and dissipate up or down or left or right. But it's reassuring to know I was on the right course!
Old 10-31-2008, 11:16 PM

I love my HK 3490. It definitely has a buttload of power, I just think HK is good at underrating their power, or every one else overrates theirs. Cheers.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhertenderlips View Post

I love my HK 3490. It definitely has a buttload of power, I just think HK is good at underrating their power, or every one else overrates theirs. Cheers.

Sorry about raising this thread from the dead, but I recently got a 3490 refurb from HK, and honestly, I am quite disappointed in the amount of power it delivers. Seat-of-the-pants, the 3490 does not get any louder than my old Denon AVR2801 (rated at 90 wpc) before it starts distorting. I was expecting more, considering the 3490 is 120 wpc and was told HK power is under-rated.

What's even funnier is that I have tiny Onkyo receiver (from an executive mini-system) that's rated at 17 watts per channel and it gets almost as loud as the 3490 before distortion kicks in.

But the 3490 generates very little heat. Maybe mine's broken?

FYI, I drive two Jamo C603 (6 Ohm) speakers with it in the basement.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Old 10-02-2009, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Are you sure it's the receiver and not the speakers? Perhaps it's something else in the signal chain? Is there a setting you have it on which will diminish the signal so you have to turn it way up for listenable levels? I have a 3490 and I think the power rating is correct, because I have turned it up very loud and have heard no distortion.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Are you sure it's the receiver and not the speakers?

Yes.

Quote:

I have a 3490 and I think the power rating is correct, because I have turned it up very loud and have heard no distortion

How high did you turn it up? I think the volume scale goes up to +7. I had mine up to 0, at which point distortion is noticeable. My basement is pretty big, so it requires lots of juice.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post

Sorry about raising this thread from the dead, but I recently got a 3490 refurb from HK, and honestly, I am quite disappointed in the amount of power it delivers. Seat-of-the-pants, the 3490 does not get any louder than my old Denon AVR2801 (rated at 90 wpc) before it starts distorting. I was expecting more, considering the 3490 is 120 wpc and was told HK power is under-rated.

What's even funnier is that I have tiny Onkyo receiver (from an executive mini-system) that's rated at 17 watts per channel and it gets almost as loud as the 3490 before distortion kicks in.

But the 3490 generates very little heat. Maybe mine's broken?

FYI, I drive two Jamo C603 (6 Ohm) speakers with it in the basement.

The fact the H/K is not getting warm may indicate it is not putting out full power for whatever reason, and you may want to check with H/K tech support as to getting it checked out.

However, keep in mind that it takes a 10X increase in power to double loudness, and you are nowhere close to that going from 90 to 120 watts. For example, go to the link below and enter the following numbers:

4m distance, 90 dB SPL desired, 90 dB sensitive speakers (leave headroom at 3 dB) and see what you get (32 watts). Now change only the desired SPL to 100 dB (double the loudness) and see what power is required - 319 watts!

http://www.crownaudio.com/apps_htm/d...ct-pwr-req.htm

Also, go to the link below and learn about power ratings on receivers, amps, etc. SCroll down to the menu of articles. Good information here.

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_A...iver_Articles/

Old 10-02-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Good articles there.

I do realize that the difference between 90 WPC and 120 WPC isn't much, but with all the rave about HK and how they under-rate their receivers, I guess I was expecting to notice something.

It's still puzzling to me how the little tiny Onkyo (the one from this system) can drive the speakers nearly as loud and clean as the huge HK and the almost as huge Denon 2801.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 625
The volume dial on the 3490 goes to +10. I have never played back anything at that level. Probably the loudest I have ever played anything back was at 0. I didn't notice any distortion at that point. I am assuming you did use the same speakers with the different receivers? Also, different amplifiers can distort in different ways. Maybe the Onkyo was distorting, you just didn't hear it, in the same way clipping from an analog recording will sound a lot smoother than clipping in a digital recording.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The volume dial on the 3490 goes to +10.

Hmm... I wonder why it would only go up to +7 on mine. Different firmware versions?