Pocket T-amp - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 61 Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Virtually all those reviews are from when the unit first came out. It was a novelty. A curiousity. It was a product that had the unique characteristics of being small, producing a modicum of decent power, comparatively inexpensive, and reasonably attractive in appearance. People who generally were into very high efficiency horn based speakers picked up on it because, well, you just don't need a lot of power to drive those. As to whether it has the characteristics of something like a tube amp, you can't tell from the specifications. For starters, there's no indication of what the output impedance is. In fact, we don't know what it is across the audio frequency band. If it's high enough, say several ohms, it'll act like some tube based amps simply because into a speaker load, its output won't be linear. Instead, it'll be something like an equalizer whose cuts and boosts are tied to the particular speaker's impedance curve.
You know, some of those sites you mentioned like 6moons review all sorts of things. Crazy things that can't have an impact on sound yet they say they do. They really have no particular editorial standards other than they expect the review to sound reasonably well written. They rely in part on their existence on the fact that if you want to use their reviews (and when have you really read a review that says the product does nothing and the explanation by the vendor is bogus?) you've got to pay them. There's no good, solid, editorial standards that speak to inegrity. It's like going into a store to get something for your headache and right next to the Aspirin is some powdered horn toad skull that also says it's good for what ails you. Virtually everyone that writes can get industry accomodations which in some cases amounts to free products. That is so long as you mention them from time to time.

I've called these amps toy amps because frankly the specifications are not in a format that's easily digestible or conform to any 'standards' of reporting. You don't know what either the input or output impedances are for example. You don't know what the tolerances are for the frequency response. You don't know how much signal you can put into it before there's a problem. And with your TV outputs, unless it's in the manual somewhere, you don't know either. In fact, I'm not sure one even knows anything about the output signal from the TV. Things like FR, +/-dB, etc. I doubt if it's even been subjected to FCC emissions testing assuming the innards have some kind of switching device. However, quite likely, it'll power your speakers and probably give you better sound than you're now getting. But you know, it doesn't take much to do that. At least with the Sherwood that mcnarnus spoke of, you've got an input for your TV, a remote where you can control the volume, and possibly other useful stuff.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 Old 12-16-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

At least with the Sherwood that mcnarnus spoke of, you've got an input for your TV, a remote where you can control the volume, and possibly other useful stuff.

Ya but I wanted something for $60, the Sherwood is $90 and thats already 1.5 times my original price. Using the same logic, I could say "For a few bucks more I could have this" Onkyo. Which is now DEFINITELY much better than the Sherwood. 7.1,HDMI (pass-through), Digital inputs, 192/24 DAC's, a Recognizable brand. But guess what now where close to 2.5 times as much as the t-amp and I can't stick it on my shelf.
post #33 of 61 Old 12-16-2008, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have a Trends Audio T-amp driving a pair of Altec 288 large format compression drivers from 400hz-7.2Khz. They sound great and they can hit over 120db since the Altecs are so sensitive, but for less sensitive speakers like your insignias... well they're only any good for undemanding music at background levels IMHO.

Honesty there is very little difference in sound quality between (most) amps and you need very very good speakers before the differences are worth mentioning.

Speaking of speakers, those insignias have good looks, midrange and bass for cheap speakers, but the treble is a different story. You can get amazing sounding vintage speakers for $50 off craigslist if you're willing to put in the effort and wait for something to come up.

If you really want to get the most sound for your $, sell those insignias, pool the money and start researching vintage speakers. Use your old amp.
post #34 of 61 Old 12-17-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:

As to whether it has the characteristics of something like a tube amp, you can't tell from the specifications. For starters, there's no indication of what the output impedance is. In fact, we don't know what it is across the audio frequency band.

Actually, since I have one and have run measurements on it, I know what its source impedance is. It rises significantly above 10 KHz, due to the output filter.

Quote:
If it's high enough, say several ohms, it'll act like some tube based amps simply because into a speaker load, its output won't be linear. Instead, it'll be something like an equalizer whose cuts and boosts are tied to the particular speaker's impedance curve.

Exactly.

Quote:
I've called these amps toy amps because frankly the specifications are not in a format that's easily digestible or conform to any 'standards' of reporting.

The FTC turns a blind eye to them, so not even the basic power ratings have any credibility. They might as well call their rating standards PMPO or some such meaningless thing.

Quote:
You don't know what either the input or output impedances are for example. You don't know what the tolerances are for the frequency response.

That reminds me of some board amps I bought that claimed to have 100 wpc and 0.02% THD. And they did, just not at the same time! :-(

Quote:
You don't know how much signal you can put into it before there's a problem. And with your TV outputs, unless it's in the manual somewhere, you don't know either. In fact, I'm not sure one even knows anything about the output signal from the TV. Things like FR, +/-dB, etc.

Spec sheets tend to be finalized by the marketing department, but with many of these suppliers there is not even an engineering department for the marketers to refer to.

Quote:
I doubt if it's even been subjected to FCC emissions testing assuming the innards have some kind of switching device.

Good point.

Quote:
However, quite likely, it'll power your speakers and probably give you better sound than you're now getting.

Depends on how low you've gone with what you have now.

Quote:
But you know, it doesn't take much to do that. At least with the Sherwood that mcnarnus spoke of, you've got an input for your TV, a remote where you can control the volume, and possibly other useful stuff.

Umm, loudspeaker switching, a headphone, jack, lots of useful stuff.
post #35 of 61 Old 12-17-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Arny, why is the FCC turning a blind eye to those and for that matter all the companies that are selling amps based on the ICE modules?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #36 of 61 Old 12-24-2008, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Taking back my thread now!

post #37 of 61 Old 12-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

So, how does it sound?

BTW, I'm sure you already know this, but your next purchase should be some speaker stands. Get those things off the ground.
post #38 of 61 Old 01-01-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Well, If your looking for a simple near field setup, I'm loving this combo. I have my laptop plugged into the Amphony and then to the Sigs, and they sound great. I don't hear much difference between a regular receiver and this amp.

The amp IS digital, but as far as being a "T" amp, who knows. It makes no difference, something this small has a lot of applications outside of a standard amp. Ran into clipping, from the signal, not the amp. Signal Noise is there, but only noticed it when its way up and I was listening for it. But its not bad at all, also not sure if its even from the amp and not from the laptop, like a bad ground. As far as power, its WAY above my expectation.

Overall I don't know if I'm more impressed with the amp or the speakers. I don't remember liking the speakers this much, but everything sounds great.
post #39 of 61 Old 01-01-2009, 10:35 PM

What does the power supply look like, and what does it say on it? You don't have a close-up shot in your photos, but we can guess its size from the plastic box. Thinkgeek has a closeup shot of the rear, which says 24VDC. The old SI T-Amp takes only around 12V. I might have an application for one or two of these $59 toys.
post #40 of 61 Old 01-01-2009, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

hmm... I did actually, I just noticed it didn't show up. You can see the size in the sixth picture and here is the specs. Lets see, here it is...

post #41 of 61 Old 01-02-2009, 10:23 AM

Another option that cost a little more and is getting great reveiws

http://tweakcityaudio.com/index.php?...emart&Itemid=1
post #42 of 61 Old 02-21-2009, 11:32 PM

metal, you've had the amphony 100 t-amp for almost two months now. Is it still operating at full capacity? I read elsewhere these amps burn-up. Any sign of this?

Thanks for purchasing the piece and providing your insight/experience.
post #43 of 61 Old 04-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC View Post

I want to see the size of the included AC transformer esp since this amp states it puts out 50 wpc in mono mode. Looking at the specs - it probably uses the same tripath chipset as the original sonic T amp.

the manual doesn't say what tripath chipset its using.

I have an onkyo htr520 and this little amp sounds better. Don't know about the newer receivers. If you have an old receiver like mine and don't want to replace it...you can definitely get these to improve the SQ until you have enough money to buy better gear.

I use the speaker level adapters from buttkicker and they work great. $7 each. I bought 3 amphony amps to hook up all 6 channels

they remind me of the SQ from old tube amp receivers. Whats better is that they don't overheat and turn off like the tube receivers. I have had them on for 2 days and they stay cool to the touch.

post #44 of 61 Old 04-06-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal112524 View Post

How is that any better than the t-amp? Its infact worse in my eyes. Bottom of the barrel piece of equipment that isn't worth the space it occupies. Look at the reviews, all around junk. Kinda reminds me of someone. If I wanted a junk receiver I could use my old Magnavox receiver instead, its leagues ahead of that thing and its FREE!

I have an old Sherwood very similar to the one mcnarus posted and I'd put it up against that toy t amp junk any day. It would definitely be a good match for your Insignia speakers and it even has a phono input and nice binding posts instead of cheap spring clips on back.
post #45 of 61 Old 04-06-2009, 06:27 PM

I keep an aging Sherwood RV-5030R receiver around for a subtle but effective "Hall" surround sound mode. The specs for T-amp chips are incomplete. But I like the soundstage of the Sonic Impact 5065 so much that it powers the front L/R line outputs of my Onkyo 805. Parts Express has revived the original T-amp - and they include a PSU:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-380
post #46 of 61 Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
To each his own on this, but it would be nice to curb the stupid comments about something being junk or whatever.

I have the original SI t-amp. I much prefer it to my old 2 channel Technics receiver. If you want cheap and small you certainly should give it a shot. $40 from P-E is ridiculous.
post #47 of 61 Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 AM

"Small and cheap" seems to also be a reasonable description. Describing these as "junk" or "toy" is not unreasonable. But sure, to each his own.
post #48 of 61 Old 04-10-2009, 02:46 PM

these amps are perfect for those getting into this hobby. they sound like vintage systems using vacuum tubes and stay cool to the touch even after long periods of use.

actually they make older receivers sound like junk. haven't heard any of the newer systems so can't compare.
post #49 of 61 Old 04-10-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC View Post

I want to see the size of the included AC transformer esp since this amp states it puts out 50 wpc in mono mode. Looking at the specs - it probably uses the same tripath chipset as the original sonic T amp.

I emailed Amphony about the chip used in the model 100. Here is their response:

The microFidelity amp works on a similar design as the Tripath but
uses our own technology, not a Tripath part. Previous products have
utilized Tripath parts but the Tripath signal-to-noise ratio is only
100 dB and does not deliver the 115 dB performance that the A100
provides.
post #50 of 61 Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 PM

i wish they would develop a dts/dolby digital receiver using their chip.
post #51 of 61 Old 04-14-2009, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

metal, you've had the amphony 100 t-amp for almost two months now. Is it still operating at full capacity? I read elsewhere these amps burn-up. Any sign of this?

As of now I have not noticed any problems, one thing about the amp is if you plug or unplug it while you have speakers plugged in it gives a little thump, something with the caps I assume.

Quote:

To each his own on this, but it would be nice to curb the stupid comments about something being junk or whatever.

Your right,sorry, no offense to anyone, just being impatient at the time.

I have since moved on to a different kind of 2 channel audio, thanks to head-fi, I actually just recently bought and gifted to my FIL the amphony 2500 wireless cans which turned out to be AMAZING for gaming and good for tv/movie watching, but weren't up to par for music listening. I now own audiotechnica ad700's and this! My just recently completed diy project. Starving Student Hiybrid Amplifier.

For more info on the amphony and audiotechnica headphones I reviewed them here
post #52 of 61 Old 04-14-2009, 11:31 AM

thats an awesome project your working on. wish i had the know how.

i have had this amphony amp on for days and they never get hot.
post #53 of 61 Old 04-18-2009, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

hey john, what do you mean speaker level adapters, Aren't the transducers "speaker level" anyway? Also nice vintage speaker setup, my dad has some old pioneer hmp-90's i believe and they sound awsome! Just need to be re-coned, again. What's with the mirror wall and tripod next to the bed?
post #54 of 61 Old 04-18-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:

hey john, what do you mean speaker level adapters, Aren't the transducers "speaker level" anyway? Also nice vintage speaker setup, my dad has some old pioneer hmp-90's i believe and they sound awsome! Just need to be re-coned, again. What's with the mirror wall and tripod next to the bed?

sorry bout the confusion there...I used the speaker level adapters to convert the speaker outputs of my receiver into pre outs. I had to buy 5 of the amphony amps for each channel but it was worth it...i love the tube-like sound of these little amplifiers.

hehe...the room used to have a bar. it's a good thing that was the only thing caught on camera haha
post #55 of 61 Old 04-19-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas681312 View Post

I have an old Sherwood very similar to the one mcnarus posted and I'd put it up against that toy t amp junk any day. It would definitely be a good match for your Insignia speakers and it even has a phono input and nice binding posts instead of cheap spring clips on back.

Okay, let me chime in because this thread talks quite a bit about two brands I own. I don't have a T-amp, but I have a Sherwood receiver, and it's not a joke. Sherwood, IMHO, is one of the best kept secrets. It's not a high-end, but at the price, it's a great bang for the buck. Of course, it all depends on the user's preference, but it has a very warm sound with honest (i.e., not overrated) power. I have no idea why they sell it so cheap (and why they sell it at Radio Shack), but I often recommend it to friends who're looking for a budget stereo system.

I also own a pair of Insignia speakers. They are not a joke, either... You can go to the speaker forum and look up what people are saying. I got it just out of curiosity (with the price, nothing to lose), and it is staying in my home office permanently. However, Insignia needs power... It sounds decent with lower power, but if you feed it with some juice, it really opens up and sings. Bass is a weak point as well at low power, so you're not going to hear much bass with anything less than 60-70 wpc power.

Having said that, I believe Sherwood receiver would do better justice for insignia speakers. Both are great values, and they seem to complement each other very well. I ended up driving Insignia speakers using my old Yamaha 5760 receiver, and moved my Sherwood receiver to my music studio driving JBL speakers, but I would pair them up any day.

I don't intend to say Sherwood receiver is better than a T-amp because I never heard the T-amp sound. I'm just saying that Insignia can really shine if it is fed with decent power, and because of that reason, Sherwood seems to be a good option at a very low cost.

In fact, I just set up a full 5.1 HT system for my friend with Sherwood receiver, 5 Insignia speakers, and a TSC ASW-10 sub... The total cost was $600, all brand new with full warranty. It's a hell of an entry level HT system, and some HTIB systems are even more expensive than this.

So, note to OP... Don't treat your Insignia speakers like a cheapo... You have good speakers that want to sing, so let them sing with some juice. No matter how good the SQ is, I don't think you are getting the full potential of the Insignia speakers by feeding them with 15wpc.

I learned everything I know about HT from this forum...
post #56 of 61 Old 04-19-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, please guys, like I said, sorry about the comment, if I was looking for a receiver it was going to have to be something that had hdmi and hd audio or at least 7.1 lpcm and would have to last a long time. Mentioning anything that didn't have these features would have provoked the same reaction no matter what brand. PLEASE quit jacking this thread with Sherwood defense posts.

Considering I've already bought the amp lets just keep it to a general discussion of the actual pocket t-amp.

I finally did my front yard cinema! My parents have a one acre property and my dad owns a trucking business, so the side of a nice shiny white 52' trailer made the perfect projecting surface. And guess what I brought along. Had about a 25ish foot wide scope film going and some some sony three ways all powered by this little amp and wow. It was LOUD, too loud at full volume, when we were about 5ft from the speakers, and listenable from 30 or so feet. VERY good sound, I was amazed at the actual sq of the sound, really showed how the bluray soundtrack shines. ONE thing is that it does run out of room on these bluray transients, probably dangerously if you have the volume all the way up. Packing up can get annoying and carrying a full sized amp would definitely get old, luckily this fits in the side pocket of my backpack.
post #57 of 61 Old 10-24-2009, 10:42 AM

i was able to use the pocket t amp to power my subwoofer...the amplifier in my sub broke...i tried plugging the subwoofer into the pocket t amp and it performs even better than the built in amplifier that powered it before.
post #58 of 61 Old 03-22-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mactavish View Post

Thanks for the photos. As is typical with many of the cheap amps, the power supply is a limiting factor. 24V and 1 Amp = 24 Watts into the amp. Given that it's not 100% efficient, something less than 12 watts per channel or 24W mono is the max.

They do have a Model 200 with higher output, but again the question would be the power supply. Lots of comments about poor quality on Amazon:

Amazon link

Amphony page

As others have noted, these are not T amps. Some kind of chip amp.
post #59 of 61 Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:

Check it out.

Amphony Pocket T-amp

Just wondering what you guys think? Of course the T-amp is no stranger to AVS but am wondering if this one is worth the price tag. Anyone who may have one or will soon please chime in. Im sure it would be cool enough to match up with some nice stereo speakers for music listening but what about plugging it to the stereo out of my TV. Just as a simple TV speaker setup.

Also as far as the specs go its as follows:

Technical Specifications
Output power:
Mono: 1 x 50 W (peak), 1 x 30 W (rms)
Stereo: 2 x 20 W (peak), 2 x 15 W (rms)
Dynamic range / signal-to-noise ratio:
Mono: 115 dBA
Stereo: 112 dBA
Frequency response: 1 Hz - 70 kHz @ 8 Ohms
Total harmonic distortion (THD+N):
Mono: 0.05 % @ 25 W, 1 kHz
Stereo: 0.05 % @ 10 W, 1 kHz
Power efficiency: 75 %
Channel separation: 85 dB
Idle power consumption: < 2 W
Dimensions: 3-9/16 (W) x 3-7/16 (D) x 3/4 (H)
91 mm (W) x 86 mm (D) x 19 mm (H)\\

These can be found via pdf here: specs

How can it be compared to the Sonic Impact version of the T-amp. As far as Harmonic distortion and Signal to Noise Ratio it SEEMS better but what does it mean for real world performance.

T-amps have a congenital problem with putting out a lot of ultrasonic noise, and having excess and bad-sounding distortion just below clipping. I have one and while it does not sound bad, what it does on the test bench is a little scary.

If I had the need and the space was available, I'd spend $10 more and buy a $80 Sherwood receiver from my local appliance warehouse.
post #60 of 61 Old 03-26-2012, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Maybe it's time to start saving some money and buy something decent. $40 pair of speakers fed by a flea amp that gets its signal from a TV, oh my.

That is one entertaining sentence. Hilarious and refreshingly honest.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page