AVS Forum banner

Pocket T-amp

15K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  arnyk 
#1 ·
Check it out.

Amphony Pocket T-amp

Just wondering what you guys think? Of course the T-amp is no stranger to AVS but am wondering if this one is worth the price tag. Anyone who may have one or will soon please chime in. Im sure it would be cool enough to match up with some nice stereo speakers for music listening but what about plugging it to the stereo out of my TV. Just as a simple TV speaker setup.

Also as far as the specs go its as follows:

Technical Specifications

Output power:

Mono: 1 x 50 W (peak), 1 x 30 W (rms)

Stereo: 2 x 20 W (peak), 2 x 15 W (rms)

Dynamic range / signal-to-noise ratio:

Mono: 115 dBA

Stereo: 112 dBA

Frequency response: 1 Hz - 70 kHz @ 8 Ohms

Total harmonic distortion (THD+N):

Mono: 0.05 % @ 25 W, 1 kHz

Stereo: 0.05 % @ 10 W, 1 kHz

Power efficiency: 75 %

Channel separation: 85 dB

Idle power consumption:
Dimensions: 3-9/16 (W) x 3-7/16 (D) x 3/4 (H)

91 mm (W) x 86 mm (D) x 19 mm (H)\\

These can be found via pdf here: specs

How can it be compared to the Sonic Impact version of the T-amp. As far as Harmonic distortion and Signal to Noise Ratio it SEEMS better but what does it mean for real world performance.

See less See more
#53 ·
hey john, what do you mean speaker level adapters, Aren't the transducers "speaker level" anyway? Also nice vintage speaker setup, my dad has some old pioneer hmp-90's i believe and they sound awsome! Just need to be re-coned, again. What's with the mirror wall and tripod next to the bed?

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal112524 /forum/post/16291733

hey john, what do you mean speaker level adapters, Aren't the transducers "speaker level" anyway? Also nice vintage speaker setup, my dad has some old pioneer hmp-90's i believe and they sound awsome! Just need to be re-coned, again. What's with the mirror wall and tripod next to the bed?

sorry bout the confusion there...I used the speaker level adapters to convert the speaker outputs of my receiver into pre outs. I had to buy 5 of the amphony amps for each channel but it was worth it...i love the tube-like sound of these little amplifiers.

hehe...the room used to have a bar. it's a good thing that was the only thing caught on camera haha

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas681312 /forum/post/16210177

I have an old Sherwood very similar to the one mcnarus posted and I'd put it up against that toy t amp junk any day. It would definitely be a good match for your Insignia speakers and it even has a phono input and nice binding posts instead of cheap spring clips on back.

Okay, let me chime in because this thread talks quite a bit about two brands I own. I don't have a T-amp, but I have a Sherwood receiver, and it's not a joke. Sherwood, IMHO, is one of the best kept secrets. It's not a high-end, but at the price, it's a great bang for the buck. Of course, it all depends on the user's preference, but it has a very warm sound with honest (i.e., not overrated) power. I have no idea why they sell it so cheap (and why they sell it at Radio Shack), but I often recommend it to friends who're looking for a budget stereo system.

I also own a pair of Insignia speakers. They are not a joke, either... You can go to the speaker forum and look up what people are saying. I got it just out of curiosity (with the price, nothing to lose), and it is staying in my home office permanently. However, Insignia needs power... It sounds decent with lower power, but if you feed it with some juice, it really opens up and sings. Bass is a weak point as well at low power, so you're not going to hear much bass with anything less than 60-70 wpc power.

Having said that, I believe Sherwood receiver would do better justice for insignia speakers. Both are great values, and they seem to complement each other very well. I ended up driving Insignia speakers using my old Yamaha 5760 receiver, and moved my Sherwood receiver to my music studio driving JBL speakers, but I would pair them up any day.

I don't intend to say Sherwood receiver is better than a T-amp because I never heard the T-amp sound. I'm just saying that Insignia can really shine if it is fed with decent power, and because of that reason, Sherwood seems to be a good option at a very low cost.

In fact, I just set up a full 5.1 HT system for my friend with Sherwood receiver, 5 Insignia speakers, and a TSC ASW-10 sub... The total cost was $600, all brand new with full warranty. It's a hell of an entry level HT system, and some HTIB systems are even more expensive than this.

So, note to OP... Don't treat your Insignia speakers like a cheapo... You have good speakers that want to sing, so let them sing with some juice. No matter how good the SQ is, I don't think you are getting the full potential of the Insignia speakers by feeding them with 15wpc.

#56 ·
Wow, please guys, like I said, sorry about the comment, if I was looking for a receiver it was going to have to be something that had hdmi and hd audio or at least 7.1 lpcm and would have to last a long time. Mentioning anything that didn't have these features would have provoked the same reaction no matter what brand. PLEASE quit jacking this thread with Sherwood defense posts.

Considering I've already bought the amp lets just keep it to a general discussion of the actual pocket t-amp.

I finally did my front yard cinema! My parents have a one acre property and my dad owns a trucking business, so the side of a nice shiny white 52' trailer made the perfect projecting surface. And guess what I brought along. Had about a 25ish foot wide scope film going and some some sony three ways all powered by this little amp and wow. It was LOUD, too loud at full volume, when we were about 5ft from the speakers, and listenable from 30 or so feet. VERY good sound, I was amazed at the actual sq of the sound, really showed how the bluray soundtrack shines. ONE thing is that it does run out of room on these bluray transients, probably dangerously if you have the volume all the way up. Packing up can get annoying and carrying a full sized amp would definitely get old, luckily this fits in the side pocket of my backpack.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mactavish /forum/post/16202428

Thanks for the photos. As is typical with many of the cheap amps, the power supply is a limiting factor. 24V and 1 Amp = 24 Watts into the amp. Given that it's not 100% efficient, something less than 12 watts per channel or 24W mono is the max.

They do have a Model 200 with higher output, but again the question would be the power supply. Lots of comments about poor quality on Amazon:

Amazon link

Amphony page

As others have noted, these are not T amps. Some kind of chip amp.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal112524 /forum/post/15274993

Check it out.

Amphony Pocket T-amp

Just wondering what you guys think? Of course the T-amp is no stranger to AVS but am wondering if this one is worth the price tag. Anyone who may have one or will soon please chime in. Im sure it would be cool enough to match up with some nice stereo speakers for music listening but what about plugging it to the stereo out of my TV. Just as a simple TV speaker setup.

Also as far as the specs go its as follows:

Technical Specifications

Output power:

Mono: 1 x 50 W (peak), 1 x 30 W (rms)

Stereo: 2 x 20 W (peak), 2 x 15 W (rms)

Dynamic range / signal-to-noise ratio:

Mono: 115 dBA

Stereo: 112 dBA

Frequency response: 1 Hz - 70 kHz @ 8 Ohms

Total harmonic distortion (THD+N):

Mono: 0.05 % @ 25 W, 1 kHz

Stereo: 0.05 % @ 10 W, 1 kHz

Power efficiency: 75 %

Channel separation: 85 dB

Idle power consumption:
Dimensions: 3-9/16 (W) x 3-7/16 (D) x 3/4 (H)

91 mm (W) x 86 mm (D) x 19 mm (H)\\

These can be found via pdf here: specs

How can it be compared to the Sonic Impact version of the T-amp. As far as Harmonic distortion and Signal to Noise Ratio it SEEMS better but what does it mean for real world performance.

T-amps have a congenital problem with putting out a lot of ultrasonic noise, and having excess and bad-sounding distortion just below clipping. I have one and while it does not sound bad, what it does on the test bench is a little scary.

If I had the need and the space was available, I'd spend $10 more and buy a $80 Sherwood receiver from my local appliance warehouse.

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMelish /forum/post/21832762

That is one entertaining sentence. Hilarious and refreshingly honest.

The honesty part may be in question in some people's minds.

Looks to me like an elaborate sales pitch for equipment whose sonic character is questionable, using the standard of sonic accuracy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.