AVS Forum banner

Pocket T-amp

15K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  arnyk 
#1 ·
Check it out.

Amphony Pocket T-amp

Just wondering what you guys think? Of course the T-amp is no stranger to AVS but am wondering if this one is worth the price tag. Anyone who may have one or will soon please chime in. Im sure it would be cool enough to match up with some nice stereo speakers for music listening but what about plugging it to the stereo out of my TV. Just as a simple TV speaker setup.

Also as far as the specs go its as follows:

Technical Specifications

Output power:

Mono: 1 x 50 W (peak), 1 x 30 W (rms)

Stereo: 2 x 20 W (peak), 2 x 15 W (rms)

Dynamic range / signal-to-noise ratio:

Mono: 115 dBA

Stereo: 112 dBA

Frequency response: 1 Hz - 70 kHz @ 8 Ohms

Total harmonic distortion (THD+N):

Mono: 0.05 % @ 25 W, 1 kHz

Stereo: 0.05 % @ 10 W, 1 kHz

Power efficiency: 75 %

Channel separation: 85 dB

Idle power consumption:
Dimensions: 3-9/16 (W) x 3-7/16 (D) x 3/4 (H)

91 mm (W) x 86 mm (D) x 19 mm (H)\\

These can be found via pdf here: specs

How can it be compared to the Sonic Impact version of the T-amp. As far as Harmonic distortion and Signal to Noise Ratio it SEEMS better but what does it mean for real world performance.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for not providing potentially useful information like the speakers you plan to run, how far you'll sit, the type of music and all that.

#4 ·
Your Welcome! I didn't see the need as I all ready know the kind of speakers that will go best with such a low powered amp. My question is about the amp itself, will it resemble or surpass the sonic t-amp as it seems to have the better signal to noise and lower THD although i have no idea what the internals are like or if it even uses the tripath chips. Edit: I know amphony's wireless t-amp uses TA2000 but no clue what this one uses.

#7 ·

Quote:
it seems to have the better signal to noise and lower THD

Given how sketchy those specs are, I don't think you can make this assumption.

If you need an amp that small, this might be a decent choice. I can't think of any other reason you'd want one within 10 feet of your system.

#8 ·
You're using your TV's outputs to drive an amp and you're worried about sound quality? Run your sources through your receiver and then have the receiver power the speakers.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/15297079

Given how sketchy those specs are, I don't think you can make this assumption.

If you need an amp that small, this might be a decent choice. I can't think of any other reason you'd want one within 10 feet of your system.

Sketchy, how? What does the size have to do with anything? No more sketchy than the way Sonic Impact rates their t-amp.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/15297655

You're using your TV's outputs to drive an amp and you're worried about sound quality? Run your sources through your receiver and then have the receiver power the speakers.

Please point me in the direction of a receiver that you know of that will accept HDMI LPCM, has at least 3 hdmi inputs, has pre-outs, and cost $69. Then I will make the effort to build a nice AV rack for my bedroom and use that instead. Otherwise spending two to three hundred dollars for my pair of $40 speakers is out of the question ATM.

#12 ·
Maybe it's time to start saving some money and buy something decent. $40 pair of speakers fed by a flea amp that gets its signal from a TV, oh my.

#13 ·

Quote:
Sketchy, how? What does the size have to do with anything? No more sketchy than the way Sonic Impact rates their t-amp.

Sketchy as in meaningless as stated. I suspect the same could be said of the SI amp.

There's a reason products like these don't come with honest spec sheets.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/15301082

Sketchy as in meaningless as stated. I suspect the same could be said of the SI amp.

There's a reason products like these don't come with honest spec sheets.

Well assuming that Amphony is rating at 8ohm load (*they rate all there other wireless amps at 8ohms*) then its close but seeing as the only give the THD at 1k its null.

I was considering the Sonic T-amp Gen 2 from Partsexpress but saw this. I guess the specs are to inconclusive to make it worth it for me to get.

New question, Should I chance the AmPHONY, or go with the Sonic Impact gen 2?

#16 ·

Quote:
Well assuming that Amphony is rating at 8ohm load (*they rate all there other wireless amps at 8ohms*)

But you shouldn't have to assume this. It should be specified. (That's why they call it a spec sheet.) And if they bothered to specify all their other products, what does that tell you about this one?

Power, load, bandwidth and distortion are not meaningful as separate measurements. Every amp manufacturer should tell you how much power their product can deliver into a given load, over a given bandwidth, with what level of distortion. If they don't, they are hiding something. For all you know, this amp can't deliver even half a watt under reasonable conditions.

#17 ·
Hey, you're the one looking for meaningful specs from devices that are essentially toys.

BFF

xoxxo

Chu

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/15303610

But you shouldn't have to assume this. It should be specified. (That's why they call it a spec sheet.) And if they bothered to specify all their other products, what does that tell you about this one?

Power, load, bandwidth and distortion are not meaningful as separate measurements. Every amp manufacturer should tell you how much power their product can deliver into a given load, over a given bandwidth, with what level of distortion. If they don't, they are hiding something. For all you know, this amp can't deliver even half a watt under reasonable conditions.

True, but how many times have we seen the same "sketchy" ratings in other non-"toy" amplifiers from very reputable companies. Not disagreeing with you at all Mcnarus you have probably saved me from wasting a few bucks.

I guess I will leave it up to someone with some more knowledge on the subject to be the guinea pig on this one and look someplace else.

#20 ·

Quote:
True, but how many times have we seen the same "sketchy" ratings in other non-"toy" amplifiers from very reputable companies.

I can't recall ever seeing specs from reputable makers that didn't at the least specify the load. You typically see the "rated bandwidth" and THD "at rated output," too. (What these companies get away with on multichannel receivers is a problem, however.)

My view of your situation aligns with Chu's. I'm not sure a T-amp and $40 speaker set would be an improvement over a TV's internal speakers.

#21 ·
The sonic T amp works fine if you are listening to moderate to mid levels with "normal" efficient speakers. If you look in the archives, I participated in a thread where I took a Sonic T apart and modded its cosmetics with pictures. I ran it with PMC DB1's (87db 1w/1m), PMC TB2's (90db 1w/1m), and Totem Arros (87db 1w/1m) in a decent sized room (13 * 22 * 8). I currently use an unmodded Sonic T in my bedroom to power Mirage NanoSat speakers (previously used Yamaha "10MMF" towers) for my clock radio. I am currently doing reno's in my master ensuite washroom and when I work on the washroom, I have the clock radio / sonic T cranked to a decent usable volume. The only catch with the original Sonic T is that it did not include an AC Adapter. For $50 - $80 for a Sonic T with AC adapter or the Amphony - you might as well go for it especially since you are powering $40 speakers. The other option you may consider is getting decent powered computer speakers with a sub and scrap the idea of the Sonic T / Amphony and $40 speakers. Not sure what speakers you are using (brand and model) but even some $100 bookshelves (used even better) and the tripath amps should be a vast improvement over the speakers in the TV.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/15303994

(What these companies get away with on multichannel receivers is a problem, however.)

Thats what I was referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/15303994

My view of your situation aligns with Chu's. I'm not sure a T-amp and $40 speaker set would be an improvement over a TV's internal speakers.

What kind of TV speakers have you been listening to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC /forum/post/15304382

Not sure what speakers you are using (brand and model)

I have the NS-B2111 Insignias . Awesome for the price for sure!

#23 ·
Just try it. At that price point you are taking on so many compromises that many people that post here are not willing to take. Just don't be planning on sitting farther than 6' from the speakers at more than 75dB average.

Just pretend that there is no spec sheets for either of those amps. They don't mean much if anything and would be meaningless to base your decision on.

#25 ·
You mean a device that just might have the proper inputs for something like a TV? Wow, good job there.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/15305747

For a few bucks more, you could have a real audio component .

How is that any better than the t-amp? Its infact worse in my eyes. Bottom of the barrel piece of equipment that isn't worth the space it occupies. Look at the reviews, all around junk. Kinda reminds me of someone. If I wanted a junk receiver I could use my old Magnavox receiver instead, its leagues ahead of that thing and its FREE!

The point is I wanted something with the Raving reviews the Sonic T-amp had but with a little more bump.

So now the question is: Get the Sonic T-amp that we know will perform well despite getting maybe 5 watts of clean power, OR , Go for the Amphony hope for the 15watts that are rated and risk the unknown SQ and all that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.