Peachtree Audio - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2046 Old 07-23-2009, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Running into another optical audio snafu, this one with the Roku. Anyone have a Nova connected via optical to a Roku?

Problem is much different than what I had with AE & ATV: at first it was real bad, the Roku end was fastened in all the way. That improved it drastically, but there are still the occasional drops.

I'm guessing it's more cable-Roku combo issue, as I've had no problem with either optical port using the same cables with either my TiVo or testing my Squeezebox.

Anyone else running a Roku?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2046 Old 07-23-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmicromix View Post

I was listening to a Charles Mingus album (Black Saint and the Sinner Lady) and she says "wow, it sounds like we're in the club listening to him." Now she wants all her music in lossless and played on the Nova too.

Great album - were you listening to an actual album? (The big round black things with a small hole in the middle... for all the kids reading this.) I'd recommend picking up the Speakers Corner 180g. vinyl issue of this album. Unbelievable sound, great soundstage, really 3 dimensional.
Although if you have an original pressing that may sound better.
post #273 of 2046 Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 AM

No, sadly not on vinyl, a lossless digital file from the remastered CD.

I'm thinking about buying a turntable and all that, but the thought of rebuying all my favorites on vinyl... well, I'm just not so sure. Any thoughts on whether it's worth it?
post #274 of 2046 Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Two very strange issues have cropped up.

1. Watching the Big Lebowski the other night and right at the point of a buildup of sound, like a segue into one of the Dylan tunes, right at the initial downbeat, the Nova turned itself off. A tube power amp, that the Nova is feeding out of the variable output, was fine; sub is connected to tube amp as directed by builder. No loud pop, squelch, or hiss, the Nova just shut down into Standby mode. I was so in tune with the movie, I know this occurred right when the mv would be maxed out - it was on a dime - I was waiting for that song to hit.

2. Turned on the system tonight and noticed the tube indicator light (blue) was off. My experience has been that the Nova "forgets" the tube state only when unplugged (mine was in Standby all day); anyway, I enable the tube and hear volume drop maybe 15db and output is heavily distorted - unintelligble. Tube is not bad (tested last week on amplitrex AT-1000).

Kind of scratching my head here - my prior issues with clicks turned out to be solely the product of a 10ft. "EDI" cable (Cat5) which connects a breakout box to a PCI sound card.

DC

Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. IK
post #275 of 2046 Old 07-24-2009, 11:45 PM

Re-tested the Amperex tube - it's okay, and then popped in a Mini-Watt SQ 6922 - same problem.

My gear is behind a Panamax 5510 and the Nova tube section just seems to have bit the dust ..... which correlated with the anomalous power-down event.

DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorcilantro View Post

Two very strange issues have cropped up.

1. Watching the Big Lebowski the other night and right at the point of a buildup of sound, like a segue into one of the Dylan tunes, right at the initial downbeat, the Nova turned itself off. My tube amp it is feeding out of the variable output was fine; sub is connected to tube amp as directed by builder.

2. Turned on the system tonight and noticed the tube indicator light (blue) was off. My experience has been that the Nova "forgets" the tube state only when unplugged; anyway, I enable the tube and hear volume drop maybe 15db and highly distorted. Tube is not bad (tested last week on amplitrex AT-1000).

Kind of scratching my head here - my prior issues with clicks turned out to be solely the product of a 10ft. "EDI" cable (Cat5) which connects a breakout box to a PCI sound card.

DC

post #276 of 2046 Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 AM

doctorcilantro....

at first glance I'd say that the Nova tube circuit was somehow incompatible with the Amperex but since you tested it that may not be the case. We have some Russian tubes in stock that are supposed to be direct replacements for 6922's but found that the heater ran at a higher voltage which caused the regulators on our heat sink to run hot and eventually the protection-thermistor in our amp shut the Nova down. It took quite a while for this to happen....maybe a few hours. I wonder if you have a similar situation. Then again, it could be something simple like a solder joint on the base that became loose but still barely connected when the tubes were swapped.

Anyway, from a customer service standpoint we'd like to get you a new Nova with our apologies, but we also want to get your unit back since your problem is a first. Curious to see what diagnosis our tech comes up with..
post #277 of 2046 Old 07-25-2009, 01:26 PM

Thanks, I will drop you an email.

The thing about 6922s is that a very minor change in grid voltage can bump up plate current a ton. New-ish 6922/7308 commonly run at 30mA from what I see. I'll test some EH 6922 in a bit; new production specs often don't meet the specifications in the old data sheets.

DC

post #278 of 2046 Old 07-25-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:

2. Turned on the system tonight and noticed the tube indicator light (blue) was off. My experience has been that the Nova "forgets" the tube state only when unplugged

DC

Hi DC,
Jim answered most of your question/statement, but I see the tube question was not answered.
The Nova doesn't "forget" the tube when powered on. We had it start in solid state so the Nova would produce sound as soon as the power is turned on...
Reason: If the tube is in the circuit upon power up, there's a 30-45 sec delay because the tube has to warm up and become stable before it kicks in. This "can" be dangerous.
Those unfamiliar w/ this characteristic (on any tube section) would turn the volume up on the "Decco" and wonder why no sound was coming out until it came blasting when the tube kicked in...
So it's a good safty feature as it saves tweeters and a few years off of the lives who were startled when the sound did come on full blast...
Hope this helps,
David
post #279 of 2046 Old 07-25-2009, 01:47 PM

Thanks, I'm used to tubes warming up so I didn't even think of that, I see your point. Maybe I was mistaken, but I swear that its come out of standby with the blue LED lit. I really like the unit, hopefully this ends up being the only occurrence of this problem.

thanks
DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Era Design View Post

Hi DC,
Jim answered most of your question/statement, but I see the tube question was not answered.
The Nova doesn't "forget" the tube when powered on. We had it start in solid state so the Nova would produce sound as soon as the power is turned on...
Reason: If the tube is in the circuit upon power up, there's a 30-45 sec delay because the tube has to warm up and become stable before it kicks in. This "can" be dangerous.
Those unfamiliar w/ this characteristic (on any tube section) would turn the volume up on the "Decco" and wonder why no sound was coming out until it came blasting when the tube kicked in...
So it's a good safty feature as it saves tweeters and a few years off of the lives who were startled when the sound did come on full blast...
Hope this helps,
David

post #280 of 2046 Old 07-25-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Maybe I was mistaken, but I swear that its come out of standby with the blue LED lit.

DC

My Nova also comes out of standby with the blue tube LED lit, if it was on when I went to standby. If the blue tube LED is off when I go to standby, it will be off when I turn the Nova back on.

-Jim
post #281 of 2046 Old 07-25-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm32 View Post

My Nova also comes out of standby with the blue tube LED lit, if it was on when I went to standby. If the blue tube LED is off when I go to standby, it will be off when I turn the Nova back on.

-Jim

Hi Jim,
The tube circuit will come on for a little while after powering down, or if you turn it off and then right back on, but as soon as the tube reaches a certain lack of voltage, it will return to ss mode w/o the tube circuit (Blue led) on. That's the way we designed it for the reasons given above.
As a side, when the Nova is cold, the tube won't engage for 30-45 seconds until it gets stable.
Best,
David
post #282 of 2046 Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmicromix View Post

No, sadly not on vinyl, a lossless digital file from the remastered CD.

I'm thinking about buying a turntable and all that, but the thought of rebuying all my favorites on vinyl... well, I'm just not so sure. Any thoughts on whether it's worth it?

I'd say it's very much worth it. But do it right and be prepared to spend a bit of coin (as I recently did). You will also have to be ready to do a bit of tweaking when setting it all up... it's not quite as plug-and-play as CD players. And of course get a good phono preamp to feed the analog input on the Nova. I presume there are other threads on this forum about turntables.
post #283 of 2046 Old 07-26-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Era Design View Post

Hi Jim,
The tube circuit will come on for a little while after powering down, or if you turn it off and then right back on, but as soon as the tube reaches a certain lack of voltage, it will return to ss mode w/o the tube circuit (Blue led) on. That's the way we designed it for the reasons given above.
As a side, when the Nova is cold, the tube won't engage for 30-45 seconds until it gets stable.
Best,
David

David, my Nova was in standby all night long (about 11 hours). When I switched it on from standby this morning the blue tube LED immediately came on. Of course the filaments still had to warm up. I thought this was what I remembered, but I wanted to be sure before I posted back.

I have no problem with this, but just wanted to let you know that it is not doing what you described. It sounds like Doc's Nova was behaving the same as mine before his tube circuit blew.

-Jim
post #284 of 2046 Old 07-26-2009, 12:14 PM

David's sample is a pre-production unit that does exactly what he says...however the software now leaves it at the last setting just like inputs.

In DC's case our software "sees" something wrong with the tube circuit and defaults to SS. This kind of diagnostic is built-in....for instance, if the DAC chip gets zapped for any reason it will default to analog inputs only. It makes it easier for our engineers to troubleshoot potential problems .
post #285 of 2046 Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by signal path jim View Post

David's sample is a pre-production unit that does exactly what he says...however the software now leaves it at the last setting just like inputs.

In DC's case our software "sees" something wrong with the tube circuit and defaults to SS. This kind of diagnostic is built-in....for instance, if the DAC chip gets zapped for any reason it will default to analog inputs only. It makes it easier for our engineers to troubleshoot potential problems .

Thanks for clearing that up. I become more impressed with the Nova everyday. While I have your ear I would like to ask one more question. If the stereo balance should get off, is there an internal adjustment to set it back?

-Jim
post #286 of 2046 Old 07-26-2009, 03:39 PM

jbm...

I'm sorry, there isn't a balance control. If you're using a media server program it may provide one for you in the software.
post #287 of 2046 Old 07-29-2009, 12:57 PM

Hey guys,

First off, I've had my Nova for about two weeks, and I love it. I picked it up from ListenUp in Boulder, CO (my go-to shop), and they've got it presented very well.

I have a few questions for you all, designers and owners.

1) I can't seem to get the Nova to accept anything other than 16/44.1, 16/48, 24/44.1 and 24/48 out of my iMac. I read that it only takes 16/44.1 over USB, so I have it running optical. When I switch over to 24/96, all hell breaks loose. Grainy, drop-in-drop-out kind of affair. Anything I'm doing wrong? Is this a known issue?

2) Anyone done any tube rolling in this bad boy? The stock tube isn't doing much for me, which is to say it's almost inaudible in my setup. I'm not opposed to splurging on some quality tubes, if they'll sound noticeably different. I don't have teriffically high hopes for a single preamp tube, but if I could get something a little tubier (i.e. smoother top and bottom with meatier mids) I'd love that.

Any suggestions for me?

Cheers,
Tyler
post #288 of 2046 Old 07-29-2009, 01:03 PM

I think some Macs have a 48kHz limit on the optical out. I'm not sure, but I thought the Mac Book Pro can do 96kHz IIRC. Oops, I see you seem to have 96kHz capablity, that is strange; anyway to push that source into a 96kHz capable receiver/DAC with a headphone jack so you can see if it is a "clean: signal?

I have put some premium tubes in but haven't had a chance to critically compare. I'd like to know a little more about how it fits into the circuit, plate current, but I think it is a class A tube circuit although I did see online it was AB.

DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSBeebout View Post

Hey guys,

First off, I've had my Nova for about two weeks, and I love it. I picked it up from ListenUp in Boulder, CO (my go-to shop), and they've got it presented very well.

I have a few questions for you all, designers and owners.

1) I can't seem to get the Nova to accept anything other than 16/44.1, 16/48, 24/44.1 and 24/48 out of my iMac. I read that it only takes 16/44.1 over USB, so I have it running optical. When I switch over to 24/96, all hell breaks loose. Grainy, drop-in-drop-out kind of affair. Anything I'm doing wrong? Is this a known issue?

2) Anyone done any tube rolling in this bad boy? The stock tube isn't doing much for me, which is to say it's almost inaudible in my setup. I'm not opposed to splurging on some quality tubes, if they'll sound noticeably different. I don't have teriffically high hopes for a single preamp tube, but if I could get something a little tubier (i.e. smoother top and bottom with meatier mids) I'd love that.

Any suggestions for me?

Cheers,
Tyler

post #289 of 2046 Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:

I think some Macs have a 48kHz limit on the optical out. I'm not sure, but I thought the Mac Book Pro can do 96kHz IIRC. Oops, I see you seem to have 96kHz capablity, that is strange; anyway to push that source into a 96kHz capable receiver/DAC with a headphone jack so you can see if it is a "clean: signal?

I have put some premium tubes in but haven't had a chance to critically compare. I'd like to know a little more about how it fits into the circuit, plate current, but I think it is a class A tube circuit although I did see online it was AB.

Thanks for the heads-up DC.

My iMac performs just fine 24/96 optical into my ECD-1 and my 0404 USB, so I don't believe it's a software limitation. I've tried switching the sampling with nothing running, in mid song, with the Nova on, Nova off, etc. Nothing yielded me a satisfying result, in that arena.

I would like to hear your take on the tubes, when you get around to it. It's my understanding that everything up to the actual power amp is pure class A.
post #290 of 2046 Old 07-29-2009, 01:28 PM

Forgive me, I'm not a Mac user, but had a friend who had an issue with his Macbook last year.

When I was having some issues last month when my sound card just stopped working , even after reboots, I went and bought another soundcard to run some diagnostics. I remember then hooking up Toslink from my 1616M and things were very weird...kind of like what you are describing. Suddenly everything started working again and I attributed the problem to the sound card.

But, if I remember correctly, there was a point where I was getting 24/96 into a spare receiver (displayed 96kHz) but the Nova would not accept it. I was losing my mind and like I said I "fixed" my sound card and never had any more problems, but this was ultimately using coax.

Some thoughts....

While Toslink is electrically isolated and immune to EMI/RFI it seems prone to weakness at the interface; Dan Lavry argues that it is robust, maybe electrically but it has always felt physically fragile to me and I would get skips and dropouts by lightly moving my sound card's breakout box (using Van Den Hul Optocoupler). I dislike coax terminated with RCA because it is not 75ohm; I really wish the Nova came with one BNC input and an RCA adapter for the average user.

The Nova has the type of digital inputs like my 1616M breakout box (sound card), the Toslink and RCA digital in are tied together into one unit.

post #291 of 2046 Old 07-31-2009, 09:23 AM

TSB....My apologies for not replying sooner.....I was on the road again and was pretty slammed.

Your information has been passed on to our designer. He'll conduct tests this weekend.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
post #292 of 2046 Old 08-03-2009, 02:14 PM

A few questions.

1. Do you have a product with the new Buffalo 32s?
2. Does USB do 24/96 or above?
3. What's the preferred input? USB/SPDIF/Coaxial?
4. Do you have a XLR output or can it be added as a custom work?

Speakers: Monitor Audio GR60, GRLCR, GR-10
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-92
Amp: (Still searching...)
post #293 of 2046 Old 08-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosehee View Post

A few questions.

I am not trying to be a hardass but is it really that difficult to read previous postings before asking questions that were already answered?
post #294 of 2046 Old 08-03-2009, 06:57 PM

Hi David, I just received my Nova and Design 4's today and they sound fantastic. I have a home office and these pieces are the perfect solution to stream my music all day.

One note (and i did search this forum) you might consider adding to the owners manual is how to turn off all the Windows sounds. Everytime i clicked on something it was heard through the Design 4's. Go into "Control Panel", double click the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon and from the Sound Scheme drop box, select "No Sounds".

Thanks again for such an innovative piece of equipment. I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment.
post #295 of 2046 Old 08-03-2009, 08:09 PM

Well my Nova gave up the ghost today in a puff of smoke. Was listening and went to another room, heard some VERY loud pops and buzzing, came back in and smoke was coming out the top of the unit and the left channel was dead or cutting in and out very quietly. This is my second unit (sent back the first because of a buzzing in the left channel which wasn't fixed) so I may just ask for a refund.
post #296 of 2046 Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 PM

Time 2 Ride....thanks....good suggestion!
post #297 of 2046 Old 08-04-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosehee View Post

A few questions.

Hi...

1) No, sorry
2) Not at this time....looking in to it
3) USB and SPDIF coax1 measure the best. Coax2 and Opt2 accept a more heavily jittered signal from network audio devices.
4) No, sorry
post #298 of 2046 Old 08-04-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinerMonkey View Post

Well my Nova gave up the ghost today in a puff of smoke. Was listening and went to another room, heard some VERY loud pops and buzzing, came back in and smoke was coming out the top of the unit and the left channel was dead or cutting in and out very quietly. This is my second unit (sent back the first because of a buzzing in the left channel which wasn't fixed) so I may just ask for a refund.

Whoa, I'm really sorry to hear that. We have over 1000 units in the field with less than 5% failure but I'm sure that's no consolation. I apologize for this situation. Please contact David Richardson at drichardson@signalpathint.com .
post #299 of 2046 Old 08-05-2009, 11:33 PM

There's a Mac equivalent to your suggestion, time2Ride, and it's even better (of course

Under "Audio MIDI Setup" (in Applications -> Utilities) set the "Default output" to whatever you are using for the Nova (USB, Optical, etc.) and set the "System Output" to "Built in Output". Your computer sounds come from the computer, and your glorious music from your glorious system.
post #300 of 2046 Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 AM

I'm still struggling with the decision as to whether to go with this all-in-one unit or something other.

It does seem that this first build is a bit buggy, though the nature of the posts might be due to the fact that the Peachtree folks are available here and thus this changes the kinds of posts that are made - we may as a result have fewer reviews and more technical posts about problems encountered.

In any event, as I continue to think about whether to make this purchase I was hoping people could answer the following questions:

1. With the Nova is the quality of sound at all inferior when using airport express vs. a direct connection to the computer whether by USB or optical outlets?

2. How would people rate the amplifier in the Nova - how does it compare to comparably priced amps ($1100ish)? Is it comparable, a bit better than, or not quite up to par with a comparable Marantz?

3. How many are using the Nova as a preamp with another amp? Is the difference night and day or merely minor?

Thanks!
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page