Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal path jim View Post

Hi...

1) No, sorry
2) Not at this time....looking in to it
3) USB and SPDIF coax1 measure the best. Coax2 and Opt2 accept a more heavily jittered signal from network audio devices.
4) No, sorry

About your point #3), I have two coax digital sources: a DVD player that I'm using as a CD transport, and a Sonos ZonePlayer 90.

Should I plug the Sonos into Coax1 and the DVD (CD transport) into Coax2, or the opposite, or will it not matter for these two specific source types?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2044 Old 10-22-2009, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manizkrishnan View Post

That's true...It doesn't even come closer to NAD integrated when it comes to power . they said 80 watts(Nova) and 50 Watts(Decco) both failed to drive B&W 685 and Era D5 when i compare with NAD 325BEE(50 Watts)

imo, the Decco easily drives my 685's .. i dont even need to go post 9 o'clock to reach a nice volume
post #363 of 2044 Old 10-29-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm waiting for the arrival of my Nova (tomorrow). I will mostly be using it for now with a Wadia. If, however, I use it with my PC a question: Is there a way to connect the Nova to a PC and bypass the DAC in the PC sound board (Sound Blaster: PCI Express SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio)? Or to put it another way, can I send PCM out of the Sound Blaster to minimize any processing done by it?

Thanks.
post #364 of 2044 Old 10-29-2009, 01:53 PM

Looks like that card has Toslink i/o. You should be all set.

The digital output of the card connects to digital input on the Nova, which means you will be using the Sabre chip in the Nova's DAC.

ENJOY!

Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. IK
post #365 of 2044 Old 10-29-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorcilantro View Post

Looks like that card has Toslink i/o. You should be all set.

The digital output of the card connects to digital input on the Nova, which means you will be using the Sabre chip in the Nova's DAC.

ENJOY!

From what I gather going this route is better than via USB because USB only does 44kh. Correct? But if I'm not mistaken, there has been discussion that toshlinks introduce more jitter than coax (or USB?) so that might diminish SQ. No? Thanks
post #366 of 2044 Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 PM

Why not just sell/ignore the sound card and connect it via USB?
post #367 of 2044 Old 10-30-2009, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post

Why not just sell/ignore the sound card and connect it via USB?

Well if I understand correctly, the implementation on the Nova is that USB only does 44khz.
post #368 of 2044 Old 10-30-2009, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I just set the Nova up an hour or so ago. It's driving 2 B&W 603S3s and the source is a Wadia. Nice sound so far and it is driving the speakers easily.

I think it is funny how when you adjust the volume with the remote the volume knob on the unit moves!

Will be moving to a 220v country. How do I know what fuse to use?

thanks.
post #369 of 2044 Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Gee this thread seems to be dead. Where are all the Nova owners? Anyway, the one problem I've encountered with this unit is that it is picking up RF interference. I do have a lot of radio towers nearby but I only have had problems with that on my main systems when I used unshielded interconnects. I tried a lot of experiments but no luck. Peachtree's suggestion was to get some shorting plugs for all six auxiliary inputs. Have them on order.
post #370 of 2044 Old 11-03-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

Gee this thread seems to be dead. Where are all the Nova owners? Anyway, the one problem I've encountered with this unit is that it is picking up RF interference. I do have a lot of radio towers nearby but I only have had problems with that on my main systems when I used unshielded interconnects. I tried a lot of experiments but no luck. Peachtree's suggestion was to get some shorting plugs for all six auxiliary inputs. Have them on order.

We are all too busy playing with our Nova.

Those radio towers must literally be next door. I have a large radio tower just a few blocks away and I haven't noticed any interference. Good luck with the shorting plugs.
post #371 of 2044 Old 11-03-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I can see radio towers in two directions from my windows. They are not next door but more like over the next hill. Perhaps the explanation is that I am sort of high up in a highrise building. Still it bothers me a bit that the RF should be getting into the board like that.

BTW. In case you were wondering (probably not :-)), when you switch the voltage to 220 the manual instructs you to use an appropriate fuse. It turns out that the fuse for 220v comes with the unit in the same compartment where the active fuse is installed (under the plate where the power plug is located).
post #372 of 2044 Old 11-03-2009, 09:30 PM

Hi All,
So sorry that I haven't been posting. Turns out, the USA is very big and since Jim is doing industrial design, international sales and project management, that leaves me to do the USA myself along w/doing the marketing and conceptual design.
We have some really cool stuff we're working on and should be able to announce some exciting news in the next few weeks.
The Nova has been fairly bullet proof w/few problems. If you have had a problem, hopefully you've found our customer resolutions have met or exceeded your expectations.
I'll make a better effort to check back more often.
Thanks to all who have done a fine job of answering posts.
I'll be in NY this week seeing dealers and doing a seminar on Thurs eve for Stereo Exchange. When I return, Ill go through the posts to see if there's unanswered issues.
If you need to get to me fast, please don't hesitate writing me @ dsolomon@signalpathint.com
Best wishes,
David Solomon
post #373 of 2044 Old 11-04-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

David,
I am very favorably impressed with my new Nova. It serves my need for a compact system very well. The only issue I've had, as mentioned previously, is the RF interference problem. I assume the shorting plugs will solve the problem. I thought your customer service was very responsive on this relatively small issue.
post #374 of 2044 Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 AM

I just purchased a Nova and Totem Arro speakers. I had to order the "white" Totem Arros, and it will be a couple weeks before I get them. I did not listen to this combination together , so I am trusting the salesperson on this system. I am setting here looking at the Nova and wondering how this is going to sound when I get the Arros? I have a small living room, and don't crank stuff up too much.

It has been over 20 years since I have had a new stereo, so a lot has changed. I didn't read this message board before the purchase, and most of the stuff on here is way over my head. I plan on checking in to the Sonos for a addition to the system.

The question for you guys is---"is this going to work, and any suggestions"?

Thank you!
post #375 of 2044 Old 11-05-2009, 11:09 AM

I have read about burning in the Nova on this board. How do you do that, and since I don't have my speakers yet, can this be done now?

Sorry for the basic questions (i can almost hear you guys laughing)

Thanks again.
post #376 of 2044 Old 11-05-2009, 11:32 AM

I think you are going to be very happy with your choice. I bought Nova just recently and I am using it to drive a pair of Totem Sttaf speakers. Sttaf is somewhat easier to drive than Arro but Nova has more than enough power for either. So far I couldn't be happier. Nova’s sound is absolutely delightful and it works well with Totem.

If you decide to pair you Nova with Sonos you’ll have more flexible and versatile single-box solution than anything else in the market. You may also want to consider a small Atom based computers like ASRock Netop ION 330; they are quiet, use very little energy and can do so much more. You can control it with Apple Touch or iPhone to make it equally convenient and it would cost you way less than what you’d spend on Sonos. On the other hand, if you are not computer savvy, Sonos is a great out-of-box solution.

As for the burn-in (if you choose to believe it makes difference, there is a long lasting debate on this one), just leave your setup playing music at the reasonably loud level while you are at work during first couple of weeks.

Welcome to Peachtree community. As you probably realized by reading this forum David and the rest of guys from Peachtree Audio are amazingly forthcoming and accommodating. You are in good hands.
post #377 of 2044 Old 11-05-2009, 01:39 PM

Really appreciate the info!

I have a lot to learn, but looking forward to it.

Can't wait to experience some music.
post #378 of 2044 Old 11-06-2009, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coast guy View Post

I just purchased a Nova and Totem Arro speakers. I had to order the "white" Totem Arros, and it will be a couple weeks before I get them. I did not listen to this combination together , so I am trusting the salesperson on this system. I am setting here looking at the Nova and wondering how this is going to sound when I get the Arros? I have a small living room, and don't crank stuff up too much.

It has been over 20 years since I have had a new stereo, so a lot has changed. I didn't read this message board before the purchase, and most of the stuff on here is way over my head. I plan on checking in to the Sonos for a addition to the system.

The question for you guys is---"is this going to work, and any suggestions"?

Thank you!

I'm not familiar with those speakers but my Nova is driving a pair of full range floor standing speakers in a large room without a problem. The thing is that the speakers are pretty efficient (90db--the higher the rating the more efficient). You might want to check the sensitivity rating for those speakers. There is some discussion earlier in this thread from the Peachtree folks regarding sensitivity levels. I think they said that, for the most part, the Nova should be OK driving speakers even down to about 86db.
post #379 of 2044 Old 11-06-2009, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the response Jack D.

I checked on the Arros and it is 87db and 4 ohms. That doesn't sound as efficient as yours, but still in the range hopefully.

My education has began! I have so much to learn, but looking forward to it.
post #380 of 2044 Old 11-09-2009, 08:28 AM

Hi Guys,
No problem driving the Arros. They are more efficient than our own era D5 and about the same as the new P'tree DS5.5.
Last week, I did a seminar for Stereo Exchange in NY. There we used the Totem Model One which has similar specs, 4 ohms/87dB SPL.
As far as burn-in is concerned, it's been my experience that you need a good 48 hours of play time before I like listening. I find the Nova to be a bit hard right out of the box, but soon smooths out.
I know this is a controversial topic among many...
I'm not even sure what's breaking in although I feel it may be the multiple power supplies. There are 11 on the DAC board alone which has over 450 parts by itself. So I won't argue the science, but speaking from a lot of experience w/ the two appendages hanging off of my head, it does make a difference.
You don't need speakers as one of the posts had asked before. All you need is a digital source playing through the DAC, like a CD player or iTunes on repete for a couple of days to do the trick.
Hope this helps,
David Solomon
Peachtree Audio
post #381 of 2044 Old 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM

Wow, talk about being tuned in,,, Impressive!

Thanks for the good information, and the peace of mind.

Cheers !
post #382 of 2044 Old 11-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Hi All,
Wanted to share some great news. While I was doing a seminar for Stereo Exchange last week in NY, John Atkinson came by with the new Dec issue of Stereophile. As it turns out, we secured Stereophile "Product of the Year" award for 2009! WhooHoo!!!

Here are the RUNNERS-UP (in alphabetical order)
Bel Canto USB Link 24/96, Benchmark DAC1 USB, Pre D/A processor, Cambridge Audio DacMagic D/A processor, Musical Fidelity V-DAC , Oppo BDP-83 universal player, PSB Imagine B loudspeaker, Simaudio Moon I-1 integrated amplifier, Wadia Digital 170iTransport

Not only did we win Budget Product of the Year against some great gear, we also received runner-up in "Amplification of the Year".The competition was fierce but we placed with some of the best products on the planet like- Benchmark DAC1 USB Pre D/A preamplifier $1595, Boulder 865 integrated amplifier @ $12,000, Conrad-Johnson Classic SE preamplifier $1750,Parasound Halo JC 1 monoblock power amplifiers $8000/pair, Pass Labs XA30.5 power amplifier $5500, Simaudio Moon I-1 integrated amplifier $1700, Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 preamplifier $15,000, VTL MB450 Signature monoblock power amplifier $15,000/
All, a good bit more expensive but as you would guess, we love being in this elite group...

Many here have written very nice things about our Nova and seems like guys who actually get paid to write about gear agree with you. Just wanted to let you know that AVS members had the scoop quite a few months back. Thanks to you all!

Best wishes,
David Solomon

Stereophile Product of the Year NOVA $.pdf 355.494140625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stereophile Product of the Year NOVA $.pdf (355.5 KB, 5 views)
post #383 of 2044 Old 11-10-2009, 06:22 PM

I would say that deserves kudos. Must be a great feeling knowing a vision came in to focus.

My first new stereo in over 20 years, and it looks like I (my saleman) picked a winner.

Can't wait to get my Nova fired up! (still waiting on my speakers)

Cheers!
post #384 of 2044 Old 11-13-2009, 01:41 PM

It's nice to see Nova getting well deserved recognition. Being the runner-up in the amplification category, competing with products requiring a second mortgage, is especially impressive. Now would be a good time to announce that 'Pre' version.

Congratulations!
post #385 of 2044 Old 11-15-2009, 05:30 PM

I met David at Stereo Exchange in NY a couple weeks ago at the 25th anniversary party. I wondered into the room by mistake where David was demoing it with a laptop playing MP3's... this thing blew my mind!!! It was hooked up to a pair of Totem Model 1's which I was planning on buying too... an amazing setup.

Bravo David for the award (well deserved) and thank you for developing this product. I haven't picked one up yet but definitely will as my Christmas gift for myself!
post #386 of 2044 Old 11-21-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:

I had a strange problem with RF too. When I connect my Oppo BDp83 to the Nova the cables pick major RF and it's quote audible on the speakers. SO I just don't use those cables which were directional, in the sense that I think the shield was on grounded at one end. They were made by a VERY knowledgeable tube tech in Florida and are quality cables.

DC

post #387 of 2044 Old 11-21-2009, 07:47 AM

I have a question about the digital inputs.

It was mentioned that input 1 has a lower jitter threshold than 2, but was this just if you sent in your Nova for an upgrade?

Is there a way to find using serial number to verify?

If using a low jitter source, does it even matter? Has just the threshold changed or will the quality suffer using input 2 vs. 1 on a modded unit?

thanks!
DC

post #388 of 2044 Old 11-22-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a strange problem with RF too. When I connect my Oppo BDp83 to the Nova the cables pick major RF and it's quote audible on the speakers. SO I just don't use those cables which were directional, in the sense that I think the shield was on grounded at one end. They were made by a VERY knowledgeable tube tech in Florida and are quality cables.

DC

Hmm. That's interesting. So you swapped cables and it solved the problem? In my case, I tried various cables--all shielded and by reputable manufacturers--and still no joy. At the suggestion of the Peachtree folks I also put caps on the auxiliary inputs but that didn't resolve the problem. So still waiting for a suggestion.
post #389 of 2044 Old 11-28-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Hmm. That's interesting. So you swapped cables and it solved the problem? In my case, I tried various cables--all shielded and by reputable manufacturers--and still no joy. At the suggestion of the Peachtree folks I also put caps on the auxiliary inputs but that didn't resolve the problem. So still waiting for a suggestion.

Sorry about the delay. Our design engineer extended his holiday in the Czech Republic for 3 weeks due to illness, so I called his partner who mainly does software but is very knowledgeable about basic circuits. His suggestion was to also try an AC surge protector or line conditioner that has RFi filters.

can't believe I didn't think of that. Maybe you mentioned that you already had one(?)
post #390 of 2044 Old 11-28-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:

I have a question about the digital inputs.

It was mentioned that input 1 has a lower jitter threshold than 2, but was this just if you sent in your Nova for an upgrade?

Is there a way to find using serial number to verify?

If using a low jitter source, does it even matter? Has just the threshold changed or will the quality suffer using input 2 vs. 1 on a modded unit?

thanks!
DC

dc....Please Contact David Richardson for the serial number: 704-391-9337

We can do a software update on any Nova in Washington to give you the Low-High jitter alternatives. DR handles those too.

I heard a low jitter source on input one vs. low jitter on input two in our engineer's lab in China. It was very hard to hear any difference even with headphones....however, the measurements certainly showed a better signal on input 1. Even our 26 year old golden ear had a tough time even when using a Chesky recording with acoustic instruments and plenty of dynamics.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page