Peachtree Audio - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 2120 Old 02-11-2010, 07:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Terrya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrogg View Post

Hi all,

I understand how to activate the "on" / "off" mode--press the power button on the unit--and how to activate the "on" / "standby" mode--press the power button on the remote. But a question:

I've noticed that if I turn the unit "off" by pressing the power button on the unit, and then turn it back "on" by pressing the power button on the remote, there's sometimes a pop that comes through the speakers, simultaneous with the tube lighting up. A loud-ish pop. Is this supposed to happen? Is this damaging? Do I need to remember whether I turned the unit "off" (at the unit) or put it in "standby" mode (on the remote) after using it the last time, so that I make sure to use the proper power button (at the unit or on the remote) the next time I turn it on?

Thanks,
Adam

That doesn't sound right to me. No matter what sequence I choose to turn my Nova off or on, or into/out of standby, I get no pop sound. It could be you are building up a static charge somehow, but I don't know much about these things.
Terrya is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 2120 Old 02-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave41200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Terrya...Thank-you for the help so far. When you mentioned that I could have the Nova, If I get one, do the D/A conversion from my laptop or an express...can you tell me what you mean by express. I hate to sound so dumb.

The NAD Integrated Amp I was reviewing was the 375BEE. I was just looking at it again and I think it has almost everything and is rated high, EXCEPT, I do not see anything in the description that indicates it has an internal DAC. I could be wrong.

I was almost thinking of getting an Emotiva amp and pre-amp, then just buying the Music Fidelity DAC for $299, but, i know so little about this stuff, the sound quality of different brands, the internal parts, etc. that i am pretty much confused as to what I should buy. I am willing to invest up to $ 1500 on something, but really do not want to go that much higher.

Everyone company has a great write up for people stupid like me to read and each one sounds like their product is the best. Plus, there are no stores in my area at all that sell decent audio equipment. Only one BB store and I will not buy anything there.

Maybe the Peach Tree Nova is the way to go...or, if you or anyone feel I should consider that NAD, Emotiva separates, or, Vincent audio that I have also been reading about. I even saw an Outlaw RR2150 receiver that seemed really nice for the price, even though it is a receiver and I do not care about AM or FM radio, but it has received nice reviews and, has what some reviewers have said a good internal DAC.

Decisions, Decisions
Dave41200 is offline  
post #543 of 2120 Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Terrya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 View Post

Hello Terrya...Thank-you for the help so far. When you mentioned that I could have the Nova, If I get one, do the D/A conversion from my laptop or an express...can you tell me what you mean by express. I hate to sound so dumb.

The Apple Airport Express is a wireless device that will accept the signal from your MacBook Pro through a wireless router or directly from the MacBook Pro if configured that way. It can live by your amp while your laptop can live elsewhere. The Express costs $99. The Express may have more jitter than the signal directly from your MacBook Pro, but it might be a challenge to hear the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 View Post

The NAD Integrated Amp I was reviewing was the 375BEE. I was just looking at it again and I think it has almost everything and is rated high, EXCEPT, I do not see anything in the description that indicates it has an internal DAC. I could be wrong.

I don't think it has a DAC. No digital inputs. Something else will have to do the conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 View Post

I was almost thinking of getting an Emotiva amp and pre-amp, then just buying the Music Fidelity DAC for $299, but, i know so little about this stuff, the sound quality of different brands, the internal parts, etc. that i am pretty much confused as to what I should buy. I am willing to invest up to $ 1500 on something, but really do not want to go that much higher.

Everyone company has a great write up for people stupid like me to read and each one sounds like their product is the best. Plus, there are no stores in my area at all that sell decent audio equipment. Only one BB store and I will not buy anything there.

Maybe the Peach Tree Nova is the way to go...or, if you or anyone feel I should consider that NAD, Emotiva separates, or, Vincent audio that I have also been reading about. I even saw an Outlaw RR2150 receiver that seemed really nice for the price, even though it is a receiver and I do not care about AM or FM radio, but it has received nice reviews and, has what some reviewers have said a good internal DAC.

Decisions, Decisions

Like I said, it's tough to make a recommendation. The cost of the Nova is about what it might be were it a nice two channel amp. The cost of the Nova not far from what it might be were it a nice separate DAC. Put the amp and the DAC in one package like this and it's a very good value. Add the seamless integration with a home theater receiver using the home theater bypass feature and it's really hard to beat. And, in my opinion, it's simply beautiful.
Terrya is offline  
post #544 of 2120 Old 02-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave41200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Again Terrya....Thanks for the input. I have one final question that I never even thought of. I have, in a box, that I totally forgot about, a vintage Sony, STR-V7 Receiver which is 150 watts per channel. It is a monster. I put this in storage many years ago, and I must say, I totally forgot about it, until just tonight. I opened it up and it sounds like the day I bought it.

My question....Would this receiver work if I purchased a separate DAC and connected my MacBook Pro to the DAC, then to the Sony Receiver? Would I be able to playback my I-Tunes from my Mac this way? Or do the more modern Integrated Amps, Receivers, etc need to be used instead.

I do not have a problem buying something as I was planning on, but since I just remembered this receiver, I thought if it would do the job and sounded as good as some of these new ones, I could save some money and put it toward a good turntable and cartridge.
Dave41200 is offline  
post #545 of 2120 Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Terrya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 View Post

Hello Again Terrya....Thanks for the input. I have one final question that I never even thought of. I have, in a box, that I totally forgot about, a vintage Sony, STR-V7 Receiver which is 150 watts per channel. It is a monster. I put this in storage many years ago, and I must say, I totally forgot about it, until just tonight. I opened it up and it sounds like the day I bought it.

My question....Would this receiver work if I purchased a separate DAC and connected my MacBook Pro to the DAC, then to the Sony Receiver? Would I be able to playback my I-Tunes from my Mac this way? Or do the more modern Integrated Amps, Receivers, etc need to be used instead.

If this receiver is old enough that it has no digital inputs, then you'll need to do the conversion before it reaches the receiver, so yes a separate DAC will do this. But, we've been talking about pieces that might be characterized as budget audiophile components. If you want to listen to your MacBook Pro through your existing receiver (which will likely sound good but probably wouldn't be on the level of what we've been discussing) I'd suggest you start by letting the DAC in your laptop do the job, and spend $10 on a cable that is stereo mini on one end and rca on the other. This will get you going and you can listen while you study and decide where your money is best spent.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 View Post

I do not have a problem buying something as I was planning on, but since I just remembered this receiver, I thought if it would do the job and sounded as good as some of these new ones, I could save some money and put it toward a good turntable and cartridge.

It likely won't sound "as good" but the question is will it sound good enough. Only you can answer that.

Beyond that, since we're in the Peachtree Nova section, if we stray too much from that topic you'll want to move to a different forum.
Terrya is offline  
post #546 of 2120 Old 02-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave41200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks again for the advice. I think I am going to get the Nova, and bank on excellent sound quality from all of the reviews I've read, along with your input and others. I think it's exciting to get something new after all this time. I am sure my I-Tunes music from my Macbook Pro will sound excellent, because all I have to go on at the present time is the sound from the crummy laptop speakers, or my Sony Ear buds.
Dave41200 is offline  
post #547 of 2120 Old 02-12-2010, 05:49 AM
Newbie
 
evodvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrya View Post

Regarding the Toslink, it's an optical cable, and if you want the Nova to do the D/A conversion from your laptop or an express you'll want one of these plus a mini adapter to send the digital signal to the Nova.

Yes, speaking of the Toslink... My mini > toslink cable arrived from Lifatec two days ago. Plugged it in, switched to 24/96 in Audio MIDI Setup, and... nothing. Forgot to remove the USB cable from the MacBook Pro. Once I did that, "Speak to Me" was rolling out of the B&W 684s in all its glory. I quickly purchased the ifatec (a key on my keyboard just stopped working - see if you can spot which one) based on a recommendation in this or another forum for connecting the Nova to a MacBook. I didn't notice that they had a g ass cab e, and I just bought the p astic one. Anyway, it sounds amazing. Perhaps I wou d notice subt y better sound with a g ass cab e, but I te you what -- this setup sounds outrageous y good as is.
evodvo is offline  
post #548 of 2120 Old 02-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Terrya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by evodvo View Post

Yes, speaking of the Toslink... My mini > toslink cable arrived from Lifatec two days ago. Plugged it in, switched to 24/96 in Audio MIDI Setup, and... nothing. Forgot to remove the USB cable from the MacBook Pro. Once I did that, "Speak to Me" was rolling out of the B&W 684s in all its glory. I quickly purchased the ifatec (a key on my keyboard just stopped working - see if you can spot which one) based on a recommendation in this or another forum for connecting the Nova to a MacBook. I didn't notice that they had a g ass cab e, and I just bought the p astic one. Anyway, it sounds amazing. Perhaps I wou d notice subt y better sound with a g ass cab e, but I te you what -- this setup sounds outrageous y good as is.

Very cool. After reading this I realize I was passing along some misinformation. Toslink is not the only way to get the digital signal from a MacBook Pro to the Nova. Duh! I was looking down the narrow path that I have chosen rather than considering all the options the Nova offers, which includes usb.

Also, it's good to hear the 24/96 option appeared once you plugged in the toslink. I think that's what you are saying.

As a side note, my dog is away for an hour or two and he hates vinyl. I may have to throw on my vinyl copy of DSOM while I wash dishes.
Terrya is offline  
post #549 of 2120 Old 02-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Member
 
alabama woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any hints as to when new products from Peachtree will be available..............
alabama woody is offline  
post #550 of 2120 Old 02-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Not sure if this has been discussed...

Will the new DAC/Pre have a HT Bypass, allowing the L/R signal from a HT pre/pro or AVR to pass through to the Peachtree DAC/pre's preouts to one's power amps (without going through the DAC/pre's preamp circuitry)?

This is a really nice feature for those who want to use their amp(s) in a combined HT and 2-channel system, and don't want their 2-channel preamp to be active for HT.

Another thought for the Peachtree DAC/Pre - I think a lot of folks would enjoy some simple 2.1 bass management capabilities - perhaps an option to have a high pass filter on the preouts and a low pass filter on a sub out. The Parasound 2100 preamp has this capability, and I think it adds some very nice flexibility.
adam2434 is offline  
post #551 of 2120 Old 02-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Member
 
Mokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone heard or uses Peachtree Nova with PSB Imagine T speakers?
Thanks
Mokes is offline  
post #552 of 2120 Old 02-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Senior Member
 
LoudandClear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richardson Texas
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post

Another thought for the Peachtree DAC/Pre - I think a lot of folks would enjoy some simple 2.1 bass management capabilities - perhaps an option to have a high pass filter on the preouts and a low pass filter on a sub out. The Parasound 2100 preamp has this capability, and I think it adds some very nice flexibility.

I thought about this too even with the Nova but most/all subs have a low pass filter on their inputs. So if the pre-outs are active while also using the internal Nova 80w/pc power amp for the mains, it would also work.

I'm sure the Dac/Pre version in the works will have more output capabilities in this area.

Has anyone heard an update on timeline for the new DAC/Pre?

Von Schweikert 7 channel speakers - Dual MFW15's w homemade metal speaker grills - Behringer BFD
Marantz Pre-pro - Outlaw 7 channel Power Amplifier - Playstation 3 - Oppo BD player - Epson 1080P projector.
LoudandClear is offline  
post #553 of 2120 Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudandClear View Post

I thought about this too even with the Nova but most/all subs have a low pass filter on their inputs. So if the pre-outs are active while also using the internal Nova 80w/pc power amp for the mains, it would also work.

I'm sure the Dac/Pre version in the works will have more output capabilities in this area.

Has anyone heard an update on timeline for the new DAC/Pre?

Building on this

It would be neat if the Nova had high pass filter options (say something likeoff/60/80/100 Hz) on the speaker outputs, for folks that want/need to limit the bass to their speakers and also use the Nova's preouts to feed a sub using its own low pass filter to blend with the main speakers.
adam2434 is offline  
post #554 of 2120 Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Terrya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Personally I think the beauty of the Nova is in it's simplicity. A selectable slope on the DAC and no other filters, tone controls, or whiz bang to mess with the signal path.

I'm not saying having a different opinion about this is bad or wrong, just that I think they got the Nova right the way it is.

I have no opinion about the upcoming DAC/Pre.
Terrya is offline  
post #555 of 2120 Old 02-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Member
 
sonofdbn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudandClear View Post

I thought about this too even with the Nova but most/all subs have a low pass filter on their inputs. So if the pre-outs are active while also using the internal Nova 80w/pc power amp for the mains, it would also work.

From the Nova manual: "Preamp output: to connect the Nova to an external amplifier or to a subwoofer. The Nova amplifier is still active when the preamp output is used."
sonofdbn is offline  
post #556 of 2120 Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Senior Member
 
frenchmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone using the Nova as a preamp only? If so how does it sound as a dedicaed yubed preamp?

frenchmon
frenchmon is offline  
post #557 of 2120 Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Member
 
jim@signalpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
we built all of our integrated amps as preamps *first*. They are all Class A buffered output stages with the tube in circuit.
jim@signalpath is offline  
post #558 of 2120 Old 02-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
frenchmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@signalpath View Post

we built all of our integrated amps as preamps *first*. They are all Class A buffered output stages with the tube in circuit.

OK but I have a solid state two channel system with a 200 watt amp. Has warm cables and speaker wire form Analysis Plus and a warm Musical Fidelity CDP. The CDP and warm cables have taken off the edge a little but I am thinking of switching out my solid state preamp and going with a tube preamp to get a little more warmth in a hybrid configuration. Wondering it the NOVA could fill this role by adding the warmth I need.


frenchmon
frenchmon is offline  
post #559 of 2120 Old 02-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Member
 
sbtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use the HT bypass for movies and TV watching in conjunction with a Yamaha rxv665 AVR. In this mode, I get a low level hum which is fairly minor but can be annoying at low volume listening. I realize the AVR is not very high quality in the spectrum of AVRs but am wondering if the hum is normal. The hum doesn't change when changing the volume on the AVR. Any ideas on why this is occurring and if anything can be done to remove it?

Music listening via all the other inputs with no AVR involved works fine - no hum and, of course, much better sound.
sbtv is offline  
post #560 of 2120 Old 02-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Member
 
jim@signalpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sbtv....sounds like you're getting a ground loop which is fairly common . Had the same thing in my system and tracked down the culprit....cable TV. A friend supplied a cable isolator from Holland electronics and voila!...no hum.
jim@signalpath is offline  
post #561 of 2120 Old 02-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Member
 
jim@signalpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PA products can sound warm but not at the expense of detail. You'll need to determine for yourself if it gives you what you need in a complete system, however.
jim@signalpath is offline  
post #562 of 2120 Old 02-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Newbie
 
pwnesto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, folks. I really like my Nova, but I think anyone looking to use it with headphones extensively should look elsewhere.

Here's how I tested:

A. PC -- (TOS) -- Nova -- Headphones
B. PC -- (TOS) -- Nova -- (Line Out) -- Denon Receiver -- Headphones

PC: Linux/Songbird(no EQ)/EVGA motherboard TOS out
Nova: Tube disengaged, Digital filter: sharp, plenty of break in time.
Denon: DRA-545R stereo reciever from 1995. ~$700 new (adjusted for inflation). All settings flat.
Headphones: Sennheiser HD570, Creative Fatal1ty (cheap gaming headset), Sony mid-range ear buds.
Music: All kinds of stuff. Alt/New Wave/Indie rock, Hardcore Metal, Electoclash, Drum'nBass, Acoustic Guitar/Singer, Old School Hip-hop, Classic Jazz, Classical, etc. (I really like it all.)

This test was, of course, not exactly double blind, but I found the differences very noticeable. I'm certain I could differentiate the two units blind. Similar results were observed with every headphone, and music genre didn't seem to matter much either.

Here's what I found:
In the Nova, dynamics were limited leaving a serious lack of depth. Music no longer existed in a space, but on two flat planes. Reverb was less audible. The difference was apparent and disheartening, and removed a lot of life from the recordings.

The frequency response was also a bit odd. There's a wide EQ boost centered somewhere around 8K. Vocals are less realistic despite there not being much "mud" (~250hz). Low frequencies are attenuated a bit. Through the Denon, the low frequencies are a bit too hyped.

There was, however, less of a "stereo gear" sound and a certain signal clarity in the Nova. I would attribute this to a lower harmonic distortion than the Denon. Overall though, the lower harmonic distortion of the Nova doesn't make up for its headphone amp shortcomings. Sorry, guys.

On the plus side, my Denon has never sounded better. Using the Nova as a DAC/Pre really brought new life into this old mid-90s model. The Nova also, of course, beat the pants off of the Denon when driving my floor-standing speakers.
pwnesto is offline  
post #563 of 2120 Old 02-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Member
 
sbtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@signalpath View Post

sbtv....sounds like you're getting a ground loop which is fairly common . Had the same thing in my system and tracked down the culprit....cable TV. A friend supplied a cable isolator from Holland electronics and voila!...no hum.

Is there a similar isolator for sat receivers? I have sat TV not cable.
sbtv is offline  
post #564 of 2120 Old 02-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Member
 
jim@signalpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtv View Post

Is there a similar isolator for sat receivers? I have sat TV not cable.


they work the same, sbtv
jim@signalpath is offline  
post #565 of 2120 Old 02-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Member
 
jim@signalpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnesto View Post

Sorry, folks. I really like my Nova, but I think anyone looking to use it with headphones extensively should look elsewhere.

Here's how I tested:

A. PC -- (TOS) -- Nova -- Headphones
B. PC -- (TOS) -- Nova -- (Line Out) -- Denon Receiver -- Headphones

PC: Linux/Songbird(no EQ)/EVGA motherboard TOS out
Nova: Tube disengaged, Digital filter: sharp, plenty of break in time.
Denon: DRA-545R stereo reciever from 1995. ~$700 new (adjusted for inflation). All settings flat.
Headphones: Sennheiser HD570, Creative Fatal1ty (cheap gaming headset), Sony mid-range ear buds.
Music: All kinds of stuff. Alt/New Wave/Indie rock, Hardcore Metal, Electoclash, Drum'nBass, Acoustic Guitar/Singer, Old School Hip-hop, Classic Jazz, Classical, etc. (I really like it all.)

This test was, of course, not exactly double blind, but I found the differences very noticeable. I'm certain I could differentiate the two units blind. Similar results were observed with every headphone, and music genre didn't seem to matter much either.

Here's what I found:
In the Nova, dynamics were limited leaving a serious lack of depth. Music no longer existed in a space, but on two flat planes. Reverb was less audible. The difference was apparent and disheartening, and removed a lot of life from the recordings.

The frequency response was also a bit odd. There's a wide EQ boost centered somewhere around 8K. Vocals are less realistic despite there not being much "mud" (~250hz). Low frequencies are attenuated a bit. Through the Denon, the low frequencies are a bit too hyped.

There was, however, less of a "stereo gear" sound and a certain signal clarity in the Nova. I would attribute this to a lower harmonic distortion than the Denon. Overall though, the lower harmonic distortion of the Nova doesn't make up for its headphone amp shortcomings. Sorry, guys.

On the plus side, my Denon has never sounded better. Using the Nova as a DAC/Pre really brought new life into this old mid-90s model. The Nova also, of course, beat the pants off of the Denon when driving my floor-standing speakers.

I certainly don't want to sound too defensive here but the guys at Head-Fi liked our headphone amp so much they had a Nova on display at the Rocky Mountain Audio Festival. So go figure.

each to his/her own......that's what makes HiFi so much fun.
jim@signalpath is offline  
post #566 of 2120 Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Senior Member
 
RipcordAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@signalpath View Post

I certainly don't want to sound too defensive here but the guys at Head-Fi liked our headphone amp so much they had a Nova on display at the Rocky Mountain Audio Festival. So go figure.

each to his/her own......that's what makes HiFi so much fun.

Could you please post a link to impressions of the headamp section from headfi? I just recently ordered a Decco2, but dearth of information regarding its capabilities as a headphone amplifier has me a little worried.

Thanks!
RipcordAFF is offline  
post #567 of 2120 Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Member
 
jim@signalpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
rip...

same headphone amp
jim@signalpath is offline  
post #568 of 2120 Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Member
 
jim@signalpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipcordAFF View Post

Could you please post a link to impressions of the headamp section from headfi? I just recently ordered a Decco2, but dearth of information regarding its capabilities as a headphone amplifier has me a little worried.

Thanks!


if you go to page 11 of this thread you will find this posted by TSBeebout, a contributor at Head-Fi.

"Incidentally, Jim, the headphone jack on this thing is really excellent. I'm working on a proper write-up over on Head-Fi (I'm sherwood over there), but my initial impressions have it competing against $500 dedicated HP amps with my K701, HD650 and RS-1. Should be fun to put it through its paces, but so far I'm impressed."

One of their members dropped by our suite at RMAF , had positive things to say, and mentioned they had a Nova on display downstairs for listening purposes..
jim@signalpath is offline  
post #569 of 2120 Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Senior Member
 
RipcordAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@signalpath View Post

rip...

same headphone amp


Jim,

I know its the same headphone amp, thats why i have been searching for impressions of either the Decco2\\Nova\\iDecco headphone amplifier circuit. I did see Sherwood's impression of the unit, I was just checking for any other impressions. Thanks!
RipcordAFF is offline  
post #570 of 2120 Old 02-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Member
 
jim@signalpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys....I'll be out of the country for the next 8 days...hopefully David can pick up some slack. Thanks so much for all the comments, this thread has been an important resource.
jim@signalpath is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2-Channel Audio

taboola here
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off