Peachtree Audio - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2044 Old 03-12-2010, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why in the world get the Wadia? The Onkyo ND-S1 should be about half price, does the same thing. IN ANY CASE - why not just get the iDecco?
- Save $200 on the Nova
- Save $200 on the Onkyo or $400 on the Wadia (plus one remote will control the iPod and amp, instead of having yet another remote just for the iPod)

With the money you save get a good 2nd hand power amp if the Nova is underpowered for you. BTW - as an iTunes user you should have a look at the Airport Express!
There - did I complicate things further?
;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2044 Old 03-12-2010, 08:44 AM

Hi Mokes....I think I understand what you are saying. I'm just so new to this that it takes a lot longer for me to understand what many of you are telling me. Or, it needs to be explained like you would to a 3rd grader.

Where does the Airport Express come in and how would it be used.

If I ever got the I Decco, wouldn't I need a separate amp since the I Decco is only 40-watts a channel?

Hate to say and I apologize but I am just confused about all of this equipment, docks, DACS, connections, brands, what way is better to listen to my I-Pod music or I-Tunes from my Macbook if I ever wanted too, what amp is best.

I will probably just PM a few of you and try to learn or understand more privately so I do not take up everyone's time and space on this forum.
post #633 of 2044 Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 View Post

Hi Mokes....I think I understand what you are saying. I'm just so new to this that it takes a lot longer for me to understand what many of you are telling me. Or, it needs to be explained like you would to a 3rd grader.

Where does the Airport Express come in and how would it be used.

If I ever got the I Decco, wouldn't I need a separate amp since the I Decco is only 40-watts a channel?

Hate to say and I apologize but I am just confused about all of this equipment, docks, DACS, connections, brands, what way is better to listen to my I-Pod music or I-Tunes from my Macbook if I ever wanted too, what amp is best.

I will probably just PM a few of you and try to learn or understand more privately so I do not take up everyone's time and space on this forum.

Airport Express: can connect to the Peachtree with TOSLINK, you stream music to it from iTunes PC/MAC. iPhone or iPod Touch can be used as a remote control for it.
iDecco underpowered? Depends upon which speakers you use, room size, listening volume, etc. You can describe your setup... In any case this is the option I suggested - go for the lower priced iDecco which already has the iPod functionality anyway, and add the external amp if you need it.
post #634 of 2044 Old 03-12-2010, 09:51 AM

I have the Nova and the Wadia iTransport (w iPod classic and lossless files), along with a netbook, connected to Definitive Mythos STS speakers and the sound is glorious. I highly recommend that set up. It's not cheap but I don't regret spending a cent of it. Also, the nice thing is friends can plug their ipods and iphones into my system too. The Nova's DAC is phenomenal and its amp is very good too. To my ears a great DAC makes more of a difference than a great amp, but of course that's personal taste. Good luck with your decision.
post #635 of 2044 Old 03-12-2010, 09:54 AM

Hi Mokes...I have very efficient Definitive Technology 2002 TL speakers that have a built in 12" powered sub woofer. I am filling a space of about 13 feet wide by 13 feet or so front to back in a portion of my finished basement that we turned into a hockey room for me.

I now see that the I-Decco has the I-Pod dock built in. Someone said the DAC is better in the Nova???

I think I am understanding a little better what you are saying. Is there any real difference price wise or quality wise doing it this way.

Nova, $1200 plus Wadia $300 for 80-watts is $1500

I-Decco $1000, plus separate amp if more power needed say even $600 is $1600 total
post #636 of 2044 Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 AM

The iDecco & Nova DACs are identical AFAIK.
You have powered subwoofers in a small room - I doubt you need an external amp with the iDecco. Just buy it and enjoy the music.
:-)
post #637 of 2044 Old 03-12-2010, 11:01 AM

Hi Mokes...Thanks for the advice. I will probably call Crutchfield if I go the Peachtree route and ask them some questions too. They seem to be fairly honest and knowledgeable like you.

I am not doubting you, but it just seems weird in my mind that 40-watts a channel from the I-Decco would be enough power. But again, you understand how the power and certain speakers relate to one another and I don't. I guess the good thing is that if I do buy the I-Decco and get it from Crutchfield, I think I have 30-days to return it and get the Nova if it seems that the I-Decco lacks power. Too bad they did not make an Nova with 80-watts that had the I-Pod dock already built in.

Does the I-Decco I-Pod dock and the Wadia-170 I-Pod dock do the same thing? And is one better than the other?
post #638 of 2044 Old 03-12-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Does the I-Decco I-Pod dock and the Wadia-170 I-Pod dock do the same thing? And is one better than the other?

I would highly highly recommend an Airport Express over anything with a dock at all. The AEX is $100 or cheaper if you get one used on eBay.

It is small. You plug it into any electrical socket near your amp and run a mini-to-toslink cable out the AEX to your Nova or Decco2.

The only downside is that your computer needs to be on and with iTunes running. You need a wifi network at home, but if you don't have a router you can make a wifi connection directly from the computer to the AEX.

Here's the best part: use your iPod as a remote control via the Remote app (free) from Apple. You can do everything on the iPod -- choose tunes, change volume, even choose different speakers if you have more than one AEX. You get album art for the song playing. If you have radio stations in a playlist in iTunes you can choose them too to play in your stereo. It is just amazing to sit on the couch and flip through your entire iTunes collection on an iPod or iPhone and play anything on your stereo.

Only downsides: 1) if you don't usually leave your computer running then you have to start it up to listen to music. The best solution in that case is to get an Apple TV and use that instead of an AEX. Costs more, but not too bad used or refurbished ($200 or less), and it can function as the iTunes server as long as you synced your music onto it's hard drive (even when the computer is off). You can still use the Remote app on your iPod too and like the AEX it has toslink out. 2) There isn't a dock for your friends' iPods. I would say just get a cheap mini plug-to-RCA connector and use that when a friend wants to play their tunes on your system.

Save yourself the additional cost of anything with a dock -- an AEX is better in almost every way.
post #639 of 2044 Old 03-12-2010, 01:43 PM

Oh -- missed your post where you say you have an iPod Nano. That won't work as a remote. I still think you may be ahead by getting a used AEX and a used iPod Touch -- even the 1st gen iPod Touch does all the Remote app/iTunes controlling stuff and I think they are not very expensive used.
post #640 of 2044 Old 03-12-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Yes, they do the same thing and I doubt you will hear a difference between the two. The main advantage of the iDecco dock is lower overall cost, plus the fact that you would then have one remote control (iDecco's) controlling the amp and the iPod, where with the Wadia you will use Wadia's remote and the Nova's - that's one more remote to misplace, etc...
post #641 of 2044 Old 03-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Oh - and here is an iDecco review for you, describing how it suits your situation (powered sub):
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/idecco/idecco.html
post #642 of 2044 Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the responses...I see djmicromix is using the Nova with Wadia that I was thinking about. I also see that purplesaber suggested and Airport Express with WIFI.

I do have an airport express that I was using for my Cannon printer. Since I bought a new HP wireless printer, I am not using the Airport Express and it is just sitting doing nothing. So, I suppose it can be put to good use if I go this route. PLUS, I also have wifi in the house with a router since my wife and daughter also have Mac laptops in addition to my MacBook Pro.

I think what has been said is that the Airport Express basically takes the place and does the same thing that the Wadia would do or am I wrong in this assumption?

I use my laptop at work too, so I would never leave it on at home all the time, but turning it on and off to hear the music would not bother me, versus getting an Apple TV. I do not care about friends I-Pods.

If using an Airport Express does the same thing as a Wadia, or would do the same thing as getting an I-Decco eliminating the need to even use my I-Pod and just listen to my ITunes from my laptop to say, the Nova, I would be OK with that, if I understand this correctly. Am I thinking right???

Doing it this way will give me the same sound quality? I could get the Nova doing it this way with the higher wattage. Not sure I wold ever go the remote way, but I have no problem buying a newer model I-Pod since I have the original Nano. I was thinking about doing this anyway. I assume I can just re-down load my ITunes again from my laptop to the newer I-Pod???

Thanks again...I think I am getting more familiar with everything. And Mokes...thank-you for the link to the review. Very interesting.

Dave
post #643 of 2044 Old 03-13-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the responses...I see djmicromix is using the Nova with Wadia that I was thinking about. I also see that purplesaber suggested and Airport Express with WIFI.

I do have an airport express that I was using for my Cannon printer. Since I bought a new HP wireless printer, I am not using the Airport Express and it is just sitting doing nothing. So, I suppose it can be put to good use if I go this route. PLUS, I also have wifi in the house with a router since my wife and daughter also have Mac laptops in addition to my MacBook Pro.

In this case, your wife and daughter would also be able to stream to the express (if that's allowed in the hockey (mancave?) room.

Quote:

I think what has been said is that the Airport Express basically takes the place and does the same thing that the Wadia would do or am I wrong in this assumption?

Essentially, yes. But you control the music at the computer, or with an apple remote, or iphone, or ipod touch.

Quote:

I use my laptop at work too, so I would never leave it on at home all the time, but turning it on and off to hear the music would not bother me, versus getting an Apple TV. I do not care about friends I-Pods.

I don't care about friends ipods either. I'll hear their music at their house.

Quote:

If using an Airport Express does the same thing as a Wadia, or would do the same thing as getting an I-Decco eliminating the need to even use my I-Pod and just listen to my ITunes from my laptop to say, the Nova, I would be OK with that, if I understand this correctly. Am I thinking right???

Yep. Streaming from your laptop should work beautifully, provided the express downstairs and the laptop server are both located where they can receive the signal from your router.

Quote:

Doing it this way will give me the same sound quality? I could get the Nova doing it this way with the higher wattage. Not sure I wold ever go the remote way, but I have no problem buying a newer model I-Pod since I have the original Nano. I was thinking about doing this anyway. I assume I can just re-down load my ITunes again from my laptop to the newer I-Pod???

The sound quality question is always best answered with your own ears. The newer model (802.11N) express is known to have more jitter than the previous model, but if you use the high jitter input on your Nova, the sound quality won't suffer so much that you're likely to notice the difference.

Regarding the new ipod, yes, just sync it to itunes in the same way.

Quote:

Thanks again...I think I am getting more familiar with everything. And Mokes...thank-you for the link to the review. Very interesting.

Dave

One other reason to stream from your computer is that you can also play internet radio. There are lots of options there.
post #644 of 2044 Old 03-13-2010, 08:36 AM

Hi Terrya...I cannot thank-you enough for all of the help you have given me. And also a special thanks to Mokes too. Let me just ask some final connection questions and I think I am finally all set to get this thing rollin.
First, I will say that everything if off limits to wife and daughter. I've waited too long to get this music going, along with my new LED TV.

OK...My Airport Express is 802.11N so that is good. So, using the wireless Airport Express engages the DAC of the Nova? I know you had said if I had gone the I-Pod route, the Nova bypasses the DAC of the I-Pod and I would end up using co-ax cords or Tos-Link or USB.

When using the Airport Express, is the internal DAC of my MacBook Pro bypassed so the Nova DAC takes over? Or how does that work so I get the best sound possible?

Enough of the questions....If you can give me a step by step order of what to do using the Airport Express, what connections and/or cables I need that would be great and I will start ordering stuff.

What goes from my MacBook to where? What, if anything goes from the Airport Express to where? What gets connected besides my speakers to the Nova?

It has been a hard decision trying to decide if it is better to get the Nova with the 80-watts per channel and listen to my I-Tunes music from my MacBook Pro, or listen to my I-Tunes from my I-Pod, along with the Nova and a Wadia, or listening to my I-Tunes from my I-Pod through the I-Decco, but only with 30-watts per channel.

Thanks
Dave
post #645 of 2044 Old 03-13-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Anyone know what the jitter button does on the decco2?

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #646 of 2044 Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Hi Terrya...I cannot thank-you enough for all of the help you have given me. And also a special thanks to Mokes too. Let me just ask some final connection questions and I think I am finally all set to get this thing rollin.
First, I will say that everything if off limits to wife and daughter. I've waited too long to get this music going, along with my new LED TV.

OK...My Airport Express is 802.11N so that is good. So, using the wireless Airport Express engages the DAC of the Nova? I know you had said if I had gone the I-Pod route, the Nova bypasses the DAC of the I-Pod and I would end up using co-ax cords or Tos-Link or USB.

When using the Airport Express, is the internal DAC of my MacBook Pro bypassed so the Nova DAC takes over? Or how does that work so I get the best sound possible?

The wireless signal is digital. The express has a DAC built in. If you plug in a mini analog cable the express does the conversion. If you plug a mini toslink into the express (same port....some cool engineering there) the signal bypasses the DAC in the express and continues to the DAC down the line. Which in your case will be the Nova. You'll want to use the #2 (high jitter) optical input.

Quote:

Enough of the questions....If you can give me a step by step order of what to do using the Airport Express, what connections and/or cables I need that would be great and I will start ordering stuff.

What goes from my MacBook to where? What, if anything goes from the Airport Express to where? What gets connected besides my speakers to the Nova?

Nothing to the MacBook. Mini Toslink from the express to the Nova. Or a Toslink with mini adapter. These are only mini on the express end. The adapter is just a small extension tube, like a tunnel, that extends into the express. Only speakers to the Nova.

You may need to reconfigure your express to play itunes, but maybe not since it's been joining your network as a print server. If it all goes as planned you'll see the express as an output option bottom right in iTunes.

Quote:

It has been a hard decision trying to decide if it is better to get the Nova with the 80-watts per channel and listen to my I-Tunes music from my MacBook Pro, or listen to my I-Tunes from my I-Pod, along with the Nova and a Wadia, or listening to my I-Tunes from my I-Pod through the I-Decco, but only with 30-watts per channel.

Thanks
Dave

The only other item you might consider is an airfoil. Only itunes can play through the express. Airfoil is a utility that allows any source you choose to send a signal to the express. This would allow you to play, among other things, music like pandora or rhapsody through your browser. Airfoil is a rather inexpensive download that gives yet more options.
post #647 of 2044 Old 03-13-2010, 09:56 AM

WOW...thanks again. You had mentioned two options. Mini-analog to the express, or mini toslink to the express. Any one of these two the better way in your opinion.

And, whatever way, the other end of the toslink or mini analog goes into the #2 high jitter optical input?? Any better brand of calbes I should consider for the best possible sound?

Thanks...Now to to go on a buying spree.

Dave
post #648 of 2044 Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:

WOW...thanks again. You had mentioned two options. Mini-analog to the express, or mini toslink to the express. Any one of these two the better way in your opinion.

You don't want the express doing the conversion, that's why you're getting the Nova with it's wonderful DAC. You need to use the toslink to move the digital signal to the Nova.

Quote:

And, whatever way, the other end of the toslink or mini analog goes into the #2 high jitter optical input?? Any better brand of calbes I should consider for the best possible sound?

You have two optical inputs on the Nova. The #2 input is designed to handle more jitter. You'll probably need to use this input with the express since it's known to have jitter high enough that the #1 input isn't usually happy.

You can spend $10 to $500 for a cable. That's way beyond what I want to get into right now.

I'd probably recommend you take care not to spend too much on a cable, then if you are interested, do some research and upgrade later should you decided that's what you want to do.

Quote:

Thanks...Now to to go on a buying spree.

Dave

post #649 of 2044 Old 03-14-2010, 10:22 AM

Does the Nova come with a bezel so that you can fit the airport express in the back of the unit like you can with a Sonus module?
post #650 of 2044 Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 AM

Dave:

For what it's worth, my Definitive Mythos STS speakers definitely need the 80 watt Nova, even in a relatively small room with powered subs. I like to listen to fairly loud music and regularly turn my Nova over the half way up point (though never past 2/3).

Not sure how different yours are. I think mine would be ok with 60 watts, but not 40.
post #651 of 2044 Old 03-15-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post

I had an old Perreaux PMF2350 laying around (200 wpc into 8 and 300 into 4) powering some inefficient speakers (83db/w). Unfortunately the power switch is dead and long discontinued so I wired it to an always on state. I currently am running it through a power conditioner which has a 12Volt relay and switched input to turn it on and off (my Onkyo 805 has a relay output). I called Signal Path to ask if the remote out on the back of the Decco would power the conditioner on and off so I could control the Perreaux and the fellow I spoke with didn't know but thought it might. So I ordered a Decco2 yesterday and will try it out over the weekend. If it works, I'll be in business, if not the search will continue.

The IR out does not function as a 12 volt relay.

Tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #652 of 2044 Old 03-15-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone know what the jitter button does on the decco2?

The jitter button is there for sources that have high jitter (such as the Airport Express and Sonos ZP-80). Narrow is the normal setting, but if you have trouble with dropouts switching to wide should correct the problem.

Tony

post #653 of 2044 Old 03-15-2010, 06:29 PM

Well...I have finally located a hi-end stereo store about 2 1/2 hours away from my home. I got lucky because it's located where my father-in-law lives and I go out there every other week with my wife...so, I will get to look at, and try out the Nova and/or I-Decco and see what it sounds like.

I called the shop and they set up an appointment for me on Saturday, March 27th. They told me to bring my MacBook Pro with me and they would hook everything up the way I would at home, which is great.

I have read about changing out the 6922 tube that comes in the stock version. If I ever do decide to do that, is it easy to change that out by myself, or is it better to let the dealer I purchased it from do this.

I wish I new what tubes are better without having to buy several and try them all out.
post #654 of 2044 Old 03-15-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Well...I have finally located a hi-end stereo store about 2 1/2 hours away from my home. I got lucky because it's located where my father-in-law lives and I go out there every other week with my wife...so, I will get to look at, and try out the Nova and/or I-Decco and see what it sounds like.

I called the shop and they set up an appointment for me on Saturday, March 27th. They told me to bring my MacBook Pro with me and they would hook everything up the way I would at home, which is great.

I have read about changing out the 6922 tube that comes in the stock version. If I ever do decide to do that, is it easy to change that out by myself, or is it better to let the dealer I purchased it from do this.

I wish I new what tubes are better without having to buy several and try them all out.

As one who is now running a vintage amperex tube, my opinion is that this is the last thing you should worry about right now. The Nova sounds great with the stock tube. A tube upgrade is nothing that is going to jump out at you and scream "don't I sound so much better?"

Only a very special store is going to have NOS tubes worth an upgrade. If they did have tubes I'd still say wait.
post #655 of 2044 Old 03-17-2010, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

The jitter button is there for sources that have high jitter (such as the Airport Express and Sonos ZP-80). Narrow is the normal setting, but if you have trouble with dropouts switching to wide should correct the problem.

i'm guessing a laptop USB connection would be a high jitter source? does that mean it should be better in 'Wide' mode?
post #656 of 2044 Old 03-17-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post

i'm guessing a laptop USB connection would be a high jitter source? does that mean it should be better in 'Wide' mode?

If the source has jitter beyond what narrow mode can handle you'll hear signal dropouts. So, you might want to run in narrow mode until you hear proof that you need to switch to wide mode.
post #657 of 2044 Old 03-17-2010, 11:55 AM

Liked: 34
I know the Peachtree Nova was evaluated by Stereophile (by Art Dudley, I believe) last August, but did they ever publish test measurements in later issues as promised in the review?? ..I'm curious to know how well the Amp section held up to John Atkinson's torture test.
post #658 of 2044 Old 03-17-2010, 01:05 PM

I just switched from a Decco to a Nova. I notice that the papers for the Nova have instructions about hard-wiring the nova to a computer to have the computer recognize the Nova's DAC. I'll be streaming iTunes from my computer through an Airport Express connected to the Nova by optical cable. Do I need to do anything to get it to use the Nova's DAC instead of the AE's?

Also -- what's this jitter button? I don't see one.

Thanks.
post #659 of 2044 Old 03-17-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstone001 View Post

I just switched from a Decco to a Nova. I notice that the papers for the Nova have instructions about hard-wiring the nova to a computer to have the computer recognize the Nova's DAC. I'll be streaming iTunes from my computer through an Airport Express connected to the Nova by optical cable.

Nope. Optical input at the Nova goes to the DAC.

Quote:

I Do I need to do anything to get it to use the Nova's DAC instead of the AE's?

The output port on the AE is very cool in that it can carry either a digital or analog signal depending upon which cable is plugged into it. Plugging in the optical cable bypasses the AE DAC.

Quote:

Also -- what's this jitter button? I don't see one.

Thanks.

The Nova has no jitter button. The #1 optical input is less jitter tolerant, and the #2 optical input is for high jitter devices. In my case the old 802.11G AE works fine in optical #1, but the newer 802.11N AE has higher jitter and requires the #2 input.

If you are unsure of which to use, start with the #1 input as in theory it may sound better. If you get signal dropouts move it to the #2 input. If you need to use both inputs, you'll want to send the highest quality signal to the #1 input if possible.
post #660 of 2044 Old 03-17-2010, 07:06 PM

Hello Again Terrya...I was reading your above post to another person who was asking what he had to connect to bypass the Airport Express DAC. He also mentioned something about being able to hard wire the Nova to the computer.

Anyway, you had mentioned to me about using a Toslink cable and you mentioned to him about using an optical cable that will bypass the AE DAC so just the Nova dock is being used.

I know I am not understanding something here. Is what you told me the same as what you are describing to him. Don't know why I am having such a hard time understanding these different types of cables and where everything gets connected between the computer, AE and Nova and what inputs and outputs on each.

Sorry.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page