post #691 of 2044 Old 03-28-2010, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by delavagus View Post

Thanks for the response!

I get no sound. The Nova loses the connection entirely when I switch the soundcard to 96: the blue light on Opt1 starts blinking.

I tried Opt2, same problem.

I thought USB didn't go up to 96kHz?

Unfortunately, Coax isn't an option with my set-up at the moment. I'd have to buy some kind of adapter. I'd be more inclined to go for it if I knew it would work...

My brother suggested that the problem might be my soundcard drivers, but I don't know enough about this stuff to be comfortable messing with that stuff.

Did you see where this (or a similar) issue was addressed some pages back by Jim or David from Signalpath?

I think USB is probably your best option. I think it can handle 96k. Regarding the soundcard drivers, I can't help you there.

I'll add that I know very little about hi-rez digital sources to the Nova DAC. I'm not doing this (yet).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 2044 Old 03-29-2010, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrya View Post

I think USB is probably your best option. I think it can handle 96k. Regarding the soundcard drivers, I can't help you there.

Apparently, interrupts are a real problem for running 96kHz audio over USB. I haven't looked extensively, but the 2 or 3 OS-provided USB-audio drivers I have looked at were limited to 48kHz. It's possible that there are widely-available generic drivers out there, or that certain products come with drivers that are tied to that hardware, but I would double-check the issue before putting money down ...
post #693 of 2044 Old 03-29-2010, 11:57 AM

ReneV.....

Our USB is limited to 16bit 48khz.

unfortunately we've run in to problems with 24/96 through Optical that we don't get with Coax. John Swenson noted on Audio Asylum that current optical digital terminals tend to have problems with High Rez, and he would know.. Sometimes a better cable works, but not always. Wish I could give you an absolute solution.

We've also had soundcard and other interface problems that go over my head.

Have you looked at the M2 HiFace SPDIF converter ? It plugs in to USB and will pass 24/96 out a coaxial connector and is getting very good reviews for sound quality. The best thing is it's only $150.
post #694 of 2044 Old 03-29-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@signalpath View Post

Have you looked at the M2 HiFace SPDIF converter ? It plugs in to USB and will pass 24/96 out a coaxial connector and is getting very good reviews for sound quality. The best thing is it's only $150.

I took your advice, Jim, and have ordered the Hi-Face. With any luck that will solve the problem and I'll be able to hear my 24/96 files in all their hi-rez glory!
post #695 of 2044 Old 04-01-2010, 12:00 PM

Thought I would share my experience for those of you are considering a Nova. I have the Nova and the matching DS4.5 speakers. I bought them directly from Peachtree with special pricing for the bundle. Although I don't think Peachtree is still offering the same bundle/price, last I checked, Crutchfield had the same deal going.

I primarily listen to MP3s (thus endeth my audiophile cred - although check out Part 13 of this article for an interesting take: positive-feedback.com/Issue48/digital.htm). My goal was to find a system that could make this compressed format sound as good as possible, for the best possible price. This was my primary criteria. And I think I am there - MP3s sound better through the Nova than they have any right to. I was shaking my head in disbelief and smiling when I was first listening to it. The best way to describe it is that the music has so much more texture than through my other systems. Before settling on the Nova, I tried other combinations of equipment, but the Nova + DS4.5s are a level above anything else I was able to put together.

My only nits are that it is big (tall), which makes desktop placement difficult (I have a small Salamander rack under my desk); that it doesn't accept 24/96 files via the usb (which I am sure would have made it much more expensive); and that if have the pre-out connected to a subwoofer, it appears to degrade the performance of headphones significantly.
post #696 of 2044 Old 04-04-2010, 11:03 PM

Question here about re the iDecco

Been enjoying the iDecco with some Gallo Strads, but found some slight gains in using it as a preamp feeding an Virtue Audio 2 tripath amp.

Problem is there is now hum, and I can hear through the speakers the whirring noise of the ipods hard drive when skipping tracks. This doesnt happen when using just the ipod and iDecco by themselves, so not sure if either of the components are to blame as such.

Anyone got any suggestions how to fix this?
Also, anyone tried an iDecco as a preamp with a high end amp or integrated amp and found joy (and no hum)?

Thanks
B
post #697 of 2044 Old 04-05-2010, 05:20 AM

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvan View Post

Been enjoying the iDecco with some Gallo Strads, but found some slight gains in using it as a preamp feeding an Virtue Audio 2 tripath amp.

Problem is there is now hum, and I can hear through the speakers the whirring noise of the ipods hard drive when skipping tracks. This doesnt happen when using just the ipod and iDecco by themselves, so not sure if either of the components are to blame as such.

What gains did you notice w/ the outboard amp? ..Was it an increase in maximum volume, in sound quality, both? ..And did you precisely match the volumes using a meter before comparing? Personally, I have found that when different amps are played at precisely the same volume, it's impossible to tell them apart unless one is turned up beyond it's capability.

As for the hum, my Nova hums slightly. I can hear it only when no music is playing and I if I hold my ear within 1 ft. of the midrange driver. ..Compared to the Bryston BP25 this replaces, there is slightly more hum, but a LOT less hiss from the tweeter. I think I hear a reduction in hum when I carefully route speaker cables well away from all the power cords in my cabinet.
post #698 of 2044 Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM

I just bought an iPad. It does not directly have USB audio as output. There is a cable that can connect to the dock connector and then into USB, which I assume the iPod/iPhone also provide. Is anyone aware of an approach that can be used to have such a device directly feed the Nova? I plan to get either a Mac Mini or Mac Pro to drive a new Nova, but I am waiting for their next hardware upgrade before purchasing... (as are many people out there)
post #699 of 2044 Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM

Hello SWDeveloper Dave...My comprehension is a bit slow, so please forgive me for the dumb question.

In your post, are you waiting for a Mac hardware upgrade or a Nova hardware upgrade before making your purchase? I could not tell.

I am planning on purchasing a Nova myself very soon and just play my I-tunes music from my MacBook Pro, through my Apple Airport Express to the Nova. If anything new or updated is coming out, I might wait a bit longer. There is a stereo store about 2-hours from my home that will allow me to stop in with my laptop, airport express and proper cables and hook everything up to their Nova demo unit and listen to it and play around. Looking forward to it.

Dave
post #700 of 2044 Old 04-06-2010, 07:49 PM

The DAC section and preamp of Nova and Deco2 are equal?
post #701 of 2044 Old 04-07-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokes View Post

Anyone heard or uses Peachtree Nova with PSB Imagine T speakers?
Thanks

I have ordered this combination (scheduled for delivery tomorrow). I will be setting it up this weekend. I plan to use a Squeezebox Touch as a digital source. I think the Touch is being released today. I should be able to let you know what the sound is like by next week sometime.
post #702 of 2044 Old 04-07-2010, 06:41 AM

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDeveloperDave View Post

I plan to get either a Mac Mini or Mac Pro to drive a new Nova, but I am waiting for their next hardware upgrade before purchasing... (as are many people out there)

what upgrades are expected for the next generation mini?? I use a 2007 1.66ghz mini for a music server and it works so well I can't imagine what the next generation (two subsequent from mine) might do that would be worth waiting for.
post #703 of 2044 Old 04-07-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 View Post

In your post, are you waiting for a Mac hardware upgrade or a Nova hardware upgrade before making your purchase? I could not tell.
Dave

I was referring to either a new Apple Mac Mini or Mac Pro (though I think they really need a headless Mac positioned between these two, in price and capabilities). Features this new Mac MAY have are USB 3.0 (which will hopefully work with the Nova, though at a USB 2.0 level), i7 processor (6 cores instead of 2), etc. I am a developer that uses developer tools, Adobe Creative Suite, and other processor intensive tools. I'd like to listen to the Nova/Era through the same system as I work...

The big issue is that iTunes on the iPad does not seem to support output of audio through the connector and cable that converts to USB.

If the new Macs come out fairly soon, this is all a non issue, it is just a question of when the new Macs come out.

A question for the Peachtree folks is whether getting 24/96 is more feasible if they also have a new Nova that directly supports USB 3.0. But they may wait a while longer before releasing such hardware...
post #704 of 2044 Old 04-07-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:

The big issue is that iTunes on the iPad does not seem to support output of audio through the connector and cable that converts to USB.

Yeah, the iPad is essentially a wifi machine. Have you considered an express?
post #705 of 2044 Old 04-08-2010, 02:17 PM

What do you mean by an express?
You'd think with all the iPod speaker docs out there that seem to be able to pull the music off of iPod devices, that there would be a way to go from the iPad doc connector into something that could then feed into the Nova.
Today an article got posted that new MBPs may arrive April 13, I am hoping for a refresh of the Mac Mini or Mac Pro (at a lower price than currently offered).
post #706 of 2044 Old 04-08-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:

What do you mean by an express?

I mean an Apple Airport Express. It allows one to send music via wifi to your stereo. This is the perfect partner for an iPad.

Quote:

You'd think with all the iPod speaker docs out there that seem to be able to pull the music off of iPod devices, that there would be a way to go from the iPad doc connector into something that could then feed into the Nova.
Today an article got posted that new MBPs may arrive April 13, I am hoping for a refresh of the Mac Mini or Mac Pro (at a lower price than currently offered).

The thought of putting an iPad in a dock as a music player seems absurd to me. That said, it's not beyond the norm for these sorts of accessories to trickle in over time after the release of a new product.
post #707 of 2044 Old 04-08-2010, 03:55 PM

The point is to use the iPad as a source of data to feed into a Peachtree Nova, but only as a temporary solution until I purchase the next version of the Mac Mini. I am just exploring whether this is possible. I see the express supports Wifi and it does have a USB port. But I don't see a means on the iPad to state that iTunes should stream its output via Wifi.

My point of mentioning the dock is that is the only cable connection offered. This is also the port on which MANY devices are able to retrieve the audio, one perfect example is the Peachtree iDecco.
post #708 of 2044 Old 04-08-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:

The point is to use the iPad as a source of data to feed into a Peachtree Nova, but only as a temporary solution until I purchase the next version of the Mac Mini. I am just exploring whether this is possible. I see the express supports Wifi and it does have a USB port. But I don't see a means on the iPad to state that iTunes should stream its output via Wifi.

I don't think the iPad can play through the express, but it seems like a perfect pairing. As a temporary fix you could probably let the DAC in the iPad do the conversion and use the analog output to the Nova.

Quote:

My point of mentioning the dock is that is the only cable connection offered. This is also the port on which MANY devices are able to retrieve the audio, one perfect example is the Peachtree iDecco.

I bet a cable is in the works somewhere that would let you go from the dock connector in the iPad to a dock with digital output to the Nova.
post #709 of 2044 Old 04-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrya View Post

As a temporary fix you could probably let the DAC in the iPad do the conversion and use the analog output to the Nova.

I know I can do that, but I was hoping for a better input source than that. And I'd rather be using the Nova DAC....
post #710 of 2044 Old 04-08-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:

I know I can do that, but I was hoping for a better input source than that. And I'd rather be using the Nova DAC....

Of course you would rather be using the Nova DAC. I made the suggestion so you could hear your music while you wait to upgrade your computer.
post #711 of 2044 Old 04-10-2010, 11:03 AM

I was hoping I'd hear from the folks at Peachtree about a means of doing this. With the iDecco, they provide a dock that plugs into the iPhone/iPod dock connection. They pull the digital signal off of the device to feed to the iDecco. It would seem a cable, with possibly a small box with a little bit of electronics, could be used instead to plug into the iPod (iPad) dock connection, and then output USB, which could then feed into the Nova. Surely they considered that design option before the decided to build the iDecco. Maybe the amount of electronics needed required too much electronics... Hopefully Apple releases new hardware soon and this question becomes moot. In the meantime, I'll just have to wait to purchase the Nova and D5s.
post #712 of 2044 Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 PM

Hi,

The 3,5mm IR Remote in/out jacks at the back of the Nova, what are they for?

/J
post #713 of 2044 Old 04-16-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewe View Post

Hi,

The 3,5mm IR Remote in/out jacks at the back of the Nova, what are they for?

/J

I haven't used it, but it should permit the Nova to serve as an IR repeater for another piece of equipment, or vice versa. It should also permit the Nova to recieve IR signals from a standalone IR repeater without having to tape an IR emitter over its IR sensor. This is helpful if you have the Nova or another piece of equipment hidden in a cabinet or otherwise out of the line of sight of its IR remote.
post #714 of 2044 Old 04-18-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delavagus View Post

I took your advice, Jim, and have ordered the Hi-Face. With any luck that will solve the problem and I'll be able to hear my 24/96 files in all their hi-rez glory!

I'd like to hear the results of the Hi-Face for pluggin into USB and will pass 24/96 out a coaxial connector... How well does this work?

Are there any plans at Signalpath to address the 24/96 data, possibly in a new product?
post #715 of 2044 Old 04-18-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreBourbon View Post

I haven't used it, but it should permit the Nova to serve as an IR repeater for another piece of equipment, or vice versa. It should also permit the Nova to recieve IR signals from a standalone IR repeater without having to tape an IR emitter over its IR sensor. This is helpful if you have the Nova or another piece of equipment hidden in a cabinet or otherwise out of the line of sight of its IR remote.

Sounds interesting. I couldn't find anything about that in the manual. Are these IR receivers and IR repeaters following a common standard, or should I ask Signalpath for the specs?

Cheers
/J
post #716 of 2044 Old 04-24-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:

I just bought an iPad. It does not directly have USB audio as output. There is a cable that can connect to the dock connector and then into USB, which I assume the iPod/iPhone also provide. Is anyone aware of an approach that can be used to have such a device directly feed the Nova? I plan to get either a Mac Mini or Mac Pro to drive a new Nova, but I am waiting for their next hardware upgrade before purchasing... (as are many people out there)

Hi Dave....We're hearing that you can use the new iPad camera accessory adapter to stream audio via USB. Will post again when I know more.
post #717 of 2044 Old 04-24-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Sounds interesting. I couldn't find anything about that in the manual. Are these IR receivers and IR repeaters following a common standard, or should I ask Signalpath for the specs?

Cheers
/J

Hi Guys...This is not a standard IR repeater. It's set up to use with other Peachtree Audio products in the future; so it's essentially non-functional right now.
post #718 of 2044 Old 04-24-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Cheers
/J

Quote:

I'd like to hear the results of the Hi-Face for pluggin into USB and will pass 24/96 out a coaxial connector... How well does this work?

Are there any plans at Signalpath to address the 24/96 data, possibly in a new product?

Yes, we'll be addressing it in the future.
post #719 of 2044 Old 04-26-2010, 01:20 PM

Hi guys,

Is it safe to take only one channel from "pre out" and feed to my subwoofer, or could it hurt the preamp?

/J
post #720 of 2044 Old 04-26-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Hi guys,

Is it safe to take only one channel from "pre out" and feed to my subwoofer, or could it hurt the preamp?

/J

That's the way I recommend doing it. No problem at all.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page