Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2044 Old 04-26-2010, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@signalpath View Post

That's the way I recommend doing it. No problem at all.

Perfect!

Thanks,
/J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2044 Old 04-28-2010, 12:53 PM

Jim (or any of the knowledgeable Nova owners),

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread... exactly which type of USB cable is compatible with the Nova? I'm looking at Monoprice, and I'm reasonably sure I want the "A Male to B Male," but do I need USB 3.0? 2.0? Does it matter?

(This is to connect a PC laptop to the Nova unit)

Thanks for the help!

PM
post #723 of 2044 Old 04-29-2010, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Hi Dave....We're hearing that you can use the new iPad camera accessory adapter to stream audio via USB. Will post again when I know more.

Jim,

Quick question for you. I have a ground loop issue and it only seems to happen when I use the Nova with my HK receiver and use it as a Amp. Hence using the HT input as a pass through. When I use any of the other inputs it gets very quite but when I switch to the HT/Aux input it goes to a loud buzzing which is coming through my speakers, hence the ground loop issue. I have tried a cheater plug, but no luck. I was just wondering if a device like this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #724 of 2044 Old 04-30-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmaloney View Post

Jim (or any of the knowledgeable Nova owners),

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread... exactly which type of USB cable is compatible with the Nova? I'm looking at Monoprice, and I'm reasonably sure I want the "A Male to B Male," but do I need USB 3.0? 2.0? Does it matter?

(This is to connect a PC laptop to the Nova unit)

Thanks for the help!

PM

you are correct...A-B, 2.0 is fine
post #725 of 2044 Old 04-30-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Jim,

Quick question for you. I have a ground loop issue and it only seems to happen when I use the Nova with my HK receiver and use it as a Amp. Hence using the HT input as a pass through. When I use any of the other inputs it gets very quite but when I switch to the HT/Aux input it goes to a loud buzzing which is coming through my speakers, hence the ground loop issue. I have tried a cheater plug, but no luck. I was just wondering if a device like this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Hi Garman....we ran in to that with a few receivers back when David and I were importing Musical Fidelity products with HT bypass..

I think you're on the right track with an isolator, but can't be 100% sure without having our tech test it in your system. If those guys offer a money back guarantee, then I'd try it.

by the way....if you have a satellite or cableTV connector attached to the HK, disconnect it (audio and video) and see if the buzzing goes away.
post #726 of 2044 Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 AM

Hello all,

I finally purchased the Nova last night from ListenUp here in Colorado Springs. After auditioning it in the store & loving it, the final factor was the fantastic support I'm seeing here in this forum - from David and Jim for sure, but also from the larger community - it's wonderful, so thanks to all!

I'm using the Nova with my Windows XP laptop, and it sounds simply beautiful... I've a couple of questions, but first I thought I would submit my entry for "most improved" setup: The Nova (via USB) is replacing a 12V battery-powered "Class T" amp from Sonic Impact ($39) that was connected to the "headphone out" jack on my laptop, and was feeding a couple of Baby Advent speakers I found at Goodwill for $9.99. Do I win? :^)

My questions are related to best laptop interconnect method, and also (sorry) archival/storage format advice, based on planned future use of the Nova. I've read through the pages in this forum, the EAC forums, many online reviews, etc., so I do get it that lossless is lossless, but haven't found what I'm hoping for, especially as it relates to my planned future use of the Nova.

Q1: I'm using the Nova via a USB connection to my Laptop (I work from home) - and as mentioned, it sounds fantastic (even through the Baby Advents). Is there anything to be gained by looking at any outboard USB -> S/PDIF converters, so I can use a coax Digital input on the Nova? Or is the bitstream that's being fed to the Nova via USB essentially identical to what would be seen on a coax feed? Alas, PCI cards are not an option for a laptop.

Q2: Is there any way to see what is actually going out the USB - bit rate, error rate, etc? If, for example, I am playing a Lossless file via Itunes, and sending it out the USB, are the exact bits from the lossless file what gets sent to the Nova, or does/can the player do any conversion/downsampling?

Q3: Finally - at some point down the road, I will probably get a wireless device (Airport express or Sonos) and move the Nova to my main audio/AV system, using the HT bypass and listening to (lossless) music stored on my PC or perhaps a NAS device. So, I'll be happily reripping my CD collection, as the variable rate .wma's I ripped previously ain't cutting it now. I've been testing AIFF, Apple Lossless, and EAC-ripped WAV files, and using Itunes as a player. With my existing setup (USB to the Nova), all 3 sound as uniformly excellent to my ears as playing a CD directly. I really like the idea of using an Itouch for a remote down the road, so we're probably talking Itunes and an airport one way or another.

So, before I rip - with the goals of balancing:

Lossless archival storage (compressed like Apple or not) so I never have to rip my CD's again,
Ease of use in Itunes (as well as potential future use by other players),
Optimal data transmission via USB to the Nova,
And finally the laziness factor - not wanting to perform multiple rip/conversion operations (first EAC to get bit-perfection WAV files, then into something Itunes can use and display album info for),

Is there a archive/rip/storage Nirvana that other Nova users have found to be just wonderful (understanding that individual Mileage May Vary), based on the above described intended usage? I know the format/player/Windows/Mac waters are potential dangerous areas, and I'm not looking to start any religious wars - I'm really looking to hear what other Nova (Windows PC) users have found to be a good solution for them.

Thanks very much - and again, thanks to David and Jim for providing what is proving to be a great - and hugely fun - product.

-Chuck O.
post #727 of 2044 Old 04-30-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokes View Post

IMHO the main reason behind an AVR is if you have center and surround speakers. The Nova can of course drive 2 speakers, and in fact can also support a powered subwoofer with its pre-out connection. The Nova is fairly future proof for you, since if you want to add an AVR and speakers later then you can use the HT bypass and have the Nova power amp continue to power your fronts.

Sorry noob here. How do you use the HT bypass? I'm liking what I'm hearing because I'm in the same situation as Flatlander. I'd like to have at least a novice audiophile quality sound but I'm also not ready to give up all the home theater sound that I'm used to. Thanks!
post #728 of 2044 Old 04-30-2010, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHuuE View Post

Sorry noob here. How do you use the HT bypass? I'm liking what I'm hearing because I'm in the same situation as Flatlander. I'd like to have at least a novice audiophile quality sound but I'm also not ready to give up all the home theater sound that I'm used to. Thanks!

You run the L and R pre-outs from your A/V receive to the aux input on the Nova. When in bypass mode, the Nova's amps simply replace the amps in your A/V receiver. You do not notice any difference operationally, the receiver will control volume, and all other settings. You will need to do a calibration, of course, since the Nova's amps will probably have different gain than the receiver's amps.
You run your 2-channel sources direct to the Nova, not the receiver. So now the Nova will control your volume, etc. In fact the receiver can be shut off.
post #729 of 2044 Old 04-30-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Hi Garman....we ran in to that with a few receivers back when David and I were importing Musical Fidelity products with HT bypass..

I think you're on the right track with an isolator, but can't be 100% sure without having our tech test it in your system. If those guys offer a money back guarantee, then I'd try it.

by the way....if you have a satellite or cableTV connector attached to the HK, disconnect it (audio and video) and see if the buzzing goes away.

Jim, thanks for the quick reply. Well my local HiFi shop wants me to get a different receiver.... LOL

This is my modest Office system but it seems to do the job.

Vizio TV
Pioneer Blu-Ray
HK 3550HD Receiver
Peachtree Nova
PS3
Monster Power Conditioner
Dynaudio Excite X12 Speakers

Now I get slight hiss when Nova is on by itself via the speakers which is normal. But when I turn on the receiver and put the Nova in the HT mode buzz and hiss goes up, and then it goes up even
more when I turn on the PS3 and TV. Tried all sorts of cheater plugs and moving power chords around but still get it, now if I run the receiver by itself with out the Nova in the loop hiss and buzz gone. Now if I change inputs on the Peachtree, no buzz or
hiss.
post #730 of 2044 Old 05-01-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckocs View Post

Hello all,

I finally purchased the Nova last night from ListenUp here in Colorado SprI'll answer as someone with an opinion that's worth about what you're paying for it.

Q1: I'm using the Nova via a USB connection to my Laptop (I work from home) - and as mentioned, it sounds fantastic (even through the Baby Advents). Is there anything to be gained by looking at any outboard USB -> S/PDIF converters, so I can use a coax Digital input on the Nova? Or is the bitstream that's being fed to the Nova via USB essentially identical to what would be seen on a coax feed? Alas, PCI cards are not an option for a laptop.

Sonic improvements tend to be incremental. The classic question is, if I'm looking for sonic improvement and I'm on a budget, where will I see (hear) the most bang for my buck? The answer is the tricky part.

If you are looking to improve the sound of your drive based digital music, higher resolutions source material, a nicer DAC, and better quality connections are all worth exploring. That said, were it me making this decision, if I'm successfully passing a 16/44 signal to the Nova via USB, I'd spend the money elsewhere . While coaxial input will likely measure better, I suspect most listeners will have an extremely tough time discerning the difference. Were I to consider higher resolution source material I'd have to revisit this decision.

Quote:

Q2: Is there any way to see what is actually going out the USB - bit rate, error rate, etc? If, for example, I am playing a Lossless file via Itunes, and sending it out the USB, are the exact bits from the lossless file what gets sent to the Nova, or does/can the player do any conversion/downsampling?

I suspect there is a way to measure the signal after it passes through the USB cable, but I'm a listener, not a tester, so I'm not qualified to address that. I doubt your player (your computer in this case) would be downsampling 16/44 audio.

Quote:

Q3: Finally - at some point down the road, I will probably get a wireless device (Airport express or Sonos) and move the Nova to my main audio/AV system, using the HT bypass and listening to (lossless) music stored on my PC or perhaps a NAS device. So, I'll be happily reripping my CD collection, as the variable rate .wma's I ripped previously ain't cutting it now. I've been testing AIFF, Apple Lossless, and EAC-ripped WAV files, and using Itunes as a player. With my existing setup (USB to the Nova), all 3 sound as uniformly excellent to my ears as playing a CD directly. I really like the idea of using an Itouch for a remote down the road, so we're probably talking Itunes and an airport one way or another.

So, before I rip - with the goals of balancing:

Lossless archival storage (compressed like Apple or not) so I never have to rip my CD's again,
Ease of use in Itunes (as well as potential future use by other players),
Optimal data transmission via USB to the Nova,
And finally the laziness factor - not wanting to perform multiple rip/conversion operations (first EAC to get bit-perfection WAV files, then into something Itunes can use and display album info for),

Is there a archive/rip/storage Nirvana that other Nova users have found to be just wonderful (understanding that individual Mileage May Vary), based on the above described intended usage? I know the format/player/Windows/Mac waters are potential dangerous areas, and I'm not looking to start any religious wars - I'm really looking to hear what other Nova (Windows PC) users have found to be a good solution for them.

Thanks very much - and again, thanks to David and Jim for providing what is proving to be a great - and hugely fun - product.

-Chuck O.

Balancing format compatibility, audio quality, and file size, is something we each address at least once. Many have settled on FLAC or Apple Lossless. Avoiding lossy compression is your safest bet if you never want to rip your CD's again. That said, no decision you make now will come with this sort of guarantee.
post #731 of 2044 Old 05-02-2010, 08:07 AM

Hi Terrya,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply. After more listening, now that I'm getting such crystal-clear sonics from the Nova, the next upgrade will need to be the speakers for my office system; the tweeters in my ancient Goodwill Baby Advents are definitely contributing to listening fatigue. Being budget-minded (cheap!), and loving my silk-tweetered Wharfedale 9.1's in the living room, a remaindered pair of them in Rosewood to match the Nova is probably my next step. Cost being no object, I would probably have gone with the bundled Era speakers.

And after doing more listening after ripping in various formats, and wading through many forum wars on the topic, I'll rip to uncompressed AIFF for the best balance (for me) of fidelity, portability, future-proofing, and Itunes/tagging support (without extra conversion work).

Thanks again, best regards,

-Chuck O.
post #732 of 2044 Old 05-06-2010, 08:32 AM

Jim,

Any news on the standalone pre/DAC? Will it have HT bypass mode?

Thanks
post #733 of 2044 Old 05-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Yes please, updated rumors and lusting over new products is just as good as buying them.

But seriously, DAC stand alone updates would be great since ive been holding off purchasing Decco2/Nova.

Thanks!
post #734 of 2044 Old 05-11-2010, 03:38 PM

Hello Everyone, especially Terrya....I know it has taken me forever to get my audio together, but, I am very close.

I have also attached a very interesting article from Electronic House that I hope many of you will find the time to read. My question about this new product is:

If I was planning on playing back downloaded music on my Mac Book Pro from I Tunes, using an Airport Express with Toslink on one end and mini on the other, connected to the Peachtree Nova, would this new soft wear improve the overall sound once the Nova DAC reads this software?

If I understand the article, which in my case could be way off, it sounds like they are saying this software runs in conjunction with I-Tunes, and when connected to a DAC, which would be the Peachtree Nova, that DAC will read the software and take advantage of it, and reproduce that improved sound, thus, no more of the lower bit rates from I-Tunes.

Any help you can provide would be great, because if this is true, I will buy this software, to go with the Nova. The link is listed below.

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...s_performance/
post #735 of 2044 Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Hi Again....I am not saying I down loaded the Pure Music Free Trail correctly, but I can tell you that listening to all of my I-Tunes with it and without it is like night and day. The sound is so awesome with this software, and I am hearing things in the music, along with separation I never heard before.
post #736 of 2044 Old 05-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 View Post

Hi Again....I am not saying I down loaded the Pure Music Free Trail correctly, but I can tell you that listening to all of my I-Tunes with it and without it is like night and day. The sound is so awesome with this software, and I am hearing things in the music, along with separation I never heard before.

Sounds interesting. A good question for them (I saw they have a question link) would be how the express handles high resolution audio through their software.
post #737 of 2044 Old 05-11-2010, 07:29 PM

Hi Terrya...I was also wondering about the Airport Express. I have attached another link. Once you get to the site, click "Features" at the top bar. Once that comes up, scroll down the left column. It will have a box that lists Airport Express. If I understand what it is saying, I think to use or to make it work right with Airport Express, we need some additional third party software. I could be wrong.

I think if ITunes is played from the Mac Book laptop to the Nova, nothing further has to be done and it will just match up fine on its own and read everything it needs to read to function...BUT, if we do not want to use the Mac laptop, and would rather use the Airport Express, I think we need something additional. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Here is the link:

http://www.channld.com/pure-music4.html
post #738 of 2044 Old 05-11-2010, 09:08 PM

hi all,

not exactly nova but related. anyone heard the ds5.5 speakers by peachtree?

1. are they the same as the era d5's?

2. any reviews of the ds5.5's?

cheers
post #739 of 2044 Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:

Hi Terrya...I was also wondering about the Airport Express. I have attached another link. Once you get to the site, click "Features" at the top bar. Once that comes up, scroll down the left column. It will have a box that lists Airport Express. If I understand what it is saying, I think to use or to make it work right with Airport Express, we need some additional third party software. I could be wrong.

I think if ITunes is played from the Mac Book laptop to the Nova, nothing further has to be done and it will just match up fine on its own and read everything it needs to read to function...BUT, if we do not want to use the Mac laptop, and would rather use the Airport Express, I think we need something additional. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Here is the link:

http://www.channld.com/pure-music4.html

Music through the express is limited to 16/44 as expected. Otherwise I haven't read enough to understand what it's doing to improve the sound. I see it says the Nova DAC is supported through usb. How have you been testing it?
post #740 of 2044 Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 AM

I have not been testing it through any amp. All I did was install the 15-day free trial of the Pure Music software onto my Mac Book, then tried to follow the instructions.

I then just stared playing my I-Tunes music from the Mac Book, listening through my headphones. I listened to several songs from I-Tunes, with my headphones on, and connected through the headphone jack of the lap top. Then while the song was playing, I clicked on the Pure Music Icon that I downloaded. Once it connected, it took over the music and the song I was listening too from I-Tunes and changed the sound quality like cray on many songs. Some older songs from the 60's came more to life than songs from the 80's. On the songs from the 60's, I heard instruments, etc, that I do not hear without the software running. The left and right channel separation was also like night and day. On songs from the 80's, the bit rate might be better from the original I-Tunes download, so I did not notice as much channel separation, but I did notice more depth, fullness and loudness, if any of this makes sense.
post #741 of 2044 Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:

I have not been testing it through any amp. All I did was install the 15-day free trial of the Pure Music software onto my Mac Book, then tried to follow the instructions.

I then just stared playing my I-Tunes music from the Mac Book, listening through my headphones. I listened to several songs from I-Tunes, with my headphones on, and connected through the headphone jack of the lap top. Then while the song was playing, I clicked on the Pure Music Icon that I downloaded. Once it connected, it took over the music and the song I was listening too from I-Tunes and changed the sound quality like cray on many songs. Some older songs from the 60's came more to life than songs from the 80's. On the songs from the 60's, I heard instruments, etc, that I do not hear without the software running. The left and right channel separation was also like night and day. On songs from the 80's, the bit rate might be better from the original I-Tunes download, so I did not notice as much channel separation, but I did notice more depth, fullness and loudness, if any of this makes sense.

This might not be the best test. I'm not saying it won't improve the sound, but it may be improving the sound in the same way a nice DAC like that in the Nova will. Through the express to the Nova is the real test if that's how you intend to use it. And through the express you'll get at best 16/44, so high resolution downloads still aren't an option unless you move the computer close to the Nova and run through usb, which apparently has it's own set of issues.
post #742 of 2044 Old 05-13-2010, 02:21 PM

i was thinking of trying to play my I-Tunes music from the Mac Book itself to the Nova, and then also try it from the Airport Express to the Nova and see if I can tell any difference. I already have the Airport Express, so I guess it doesn't hurt to try.
I just need to get the correct cables that go from the express to the Nova and the correct cables that go from the mac Book Pro, to the Nova.

I am also still considering getting the Decco 2 for the pre-amp and DAC, then getting a separate Power Amp that has more power than the Nova, just in case the Nova's 80-watts a channel isn't powerful enough. Not sure what chords I would need with the extra power amp involved or how to connect it, but, I am thinking about doing this.
post #743 of 2044 Old 05-18-2010, 08:24 AM

Does anyone knows what is the max power consumption for the nova?
post #744 of 2044 Old 05-21-2010, 08:02 AM

Well, I guess I continue to make things complicated for myself. i have been debating for some time about getting the Peachtree Nova. I want to use it to play back my I-tunes music from my MacBook through my Airport Express, to the Nova, to my Definitive Technology 2002 TL speakers with built-in 250-watt powered subs.

I contacted Definitive Technology to ask their advice on the best way to connect my speakers and they say I should bi-wire my speakers. I do not fully understand all of that, but I am learning.

My concern and/or question is....Since the Nova is only 80-watts a channel, won't the bi-wiring of these speakers suck out more watts from the Nova Amp, making it less powerful? And will that mean the Nova's 80-watts a channel will not be strong enough to handle my speakers?

I also noticed that the Nova's 80-watts a channel is a 60ohms and not 8. Doesn't that mean the Nova truly is only putting out about 65 watts or so through 8-ohms?

I am wondering if I am better off getting either an Emotiva UPA pair of mono amps, with their separate pre-amp, then a separate Cambridge Audio DAC magic and forget the Nova....OR...get the Nova Decco-2 for $400 less than the Nova, using the Decco 2 for just it's pre-amp and DAC, then getting a separate Emotiva XPA-2 Two channel amp at 250 watts a channel?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Dave
post #745 of 2044 Old 05-21-2010, 10:43 AM

Liked: 34
Quote:

I contacted Definitive Technology to ask their advice on the best way to connect my speakers and they say I should bi-wire my speakers. I do not fully understand all of that, but I am learning.

I also noticed that the Nova's 80-watts a channel is a 60ohms and not 8. Doesn't that mean the Nova truly is only putting out about 65 watts or so through 8-ohms?

I am wondering if I am better off getting either an Emotiva UPA pair of mono amps, with their separate pre-amp, then a separate Cambridge Audio DAC magic and forget the Nova....OR...get the Nova Decco-2 for $400 less than the Nova, using the Decco 2 for just it's pre-amp and DAC, then getting a separate Emotiva XPA-2 Two channel amp at 250 watts a channel?

It might be interesting to ask Def Tech the precise reason for this recommendation. Not to start a whole debate over this, but the benefits of bi-wiring (like the question of pricey cables) is a subject of considerable debate. Given all of the uncertainty as to whether or not it matters I tend to believe that if there is a benefit, it's apt to be almost negligible. Otherwise, why so much debate? ..So, personally, I would ignore this recommendation.

As for the Nova and whether it produces enough power, how efficient are your speakers?? I'm using a Nova to drive a pair of Paradigm Signature S8 v.2's (90db) and the Nova can drive them louder than I (or neighbors) can tolerate without any signs of strain.

As to deciding b/w the Nova or Decco bear in mind that in addition to more power (albeit marginally, as 85w is only incrementally more powerful than 40w), the Nova also has 3 more inputs (1 more coax, optical, and analog aux). This means the Nova can more easily accommodate future changes/ additions to your system. And on the subject of inputs, I have to compliment Peachtree. ..Unlike the Bryston Pre-amp that my Nova replaces, I find there to be zero signal bleed b/w the inputs. By this I mean that with the Bryston, when I switched from an input that was in use to one with no signal, I could still hear - albeit very faintly - the music from the "active" input. Although it was very faint and I could never hear it once I played music, it still annoyed me that this was occurring with a $2000 pre-amp. For the $1200 Nova to outperform the Bryston in this respect is impressive.
post #746 of 2044 Old 05-21-2010, 11:12 AM

Hello SYD123...Thanks for the helpful information. Originally, I was not going to hook up my speakers as a bi-wire, so hearing you say it really isn't necessary, makes me feel better. i still do not know what cables to get. I sent the manual to my son who understands this stuff, and I am sure he will help me out.

The back of the speakers have so many connection....mids, highs, subs, etc. If I hook them up normally, I am not sure if I need regular speaker wire, PLUS, SEPARATE SUB WOOFER CABLES TO GO INTO THE SUB WOOFER slots.

i think i was told if I bi-wired, I did not need sub woofer cables for that provision on the back of each speaker.

Anyway, nice to know the Nova has enough power. Hopefully, my son understands the manual so I can buy the proper cables and hook everything up correctly.
post #747 of 2044 Old 05-22-2010, 07:31 PM
byy

I start to have this problem a few week ago, when I turn on nova from a long standby mode, let's say over night, there are always few popcorn-popping-like noise coming out from speakers. At first, I thought it maybe some glitch on the power line, but since it happens consistently, I now believe it is something inside Nova. But I must say Nova still works well and play music as always. just this few starting popping noise kind of annoying.

I try to turn it back to standby and turn it on back again, the noise is not coming. But if I leave it at standby for like 30mins and turn it back on, the popping noise coming back.

Does anyone has the same experience as me?
post #748 of 2044 Old 05-25-2010, 02:01 PM

byy....I tried to think back if I'd ever heard of your problem but could not remember anything like that or even similar. Please know that we would be more than happy to analyze it for you in Bellevue and see if we can find something if you like. Call David at 704-391-9337 West Coast time if you want to arrange a bench test.
post #749 of 2044 Old 05-25-2010, 04:47 PM
byy

Quote:

byy....I tried to think back if I'd ever heard of your problem but could not remember anything like that or even similar. Please know that we would be more than happy to analyze it for you in Bellevue and see if we can find something if you like. Call David at 704-391-9337 West Coast time if you want to arrange a bench test.

Hi Jim

I already contact with David. I did more test and found the problem only happens when I have tube turned on. So it looks like the tube is causing the problem. David and Lena send out a replace tube to me today so I can try to replace to see if it fix the issue.

David and Lena respond to my email very quickly. This is the best customer support experience I ever had. thank you all.
post #750 of 2044 Old 06-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:

I know that live and learn statement. I'm taking those small steps so I can understand everything. Looking forward to getting things going.

When I buy music from the I-Tunes store that download as mp3's onto my Macbook Pro, those are obviously considered MP3's and now have a bit rate of 256, instead of the old 128.

When someone says they use or have lossless files...how does that work?

You cannot convert an MP3 from an I-Tunes download to a lossless file, can you?

Or, do those types of files and AIFF files only come when you want to record better quality audio from CD's to begin with?

I have my appointment set-up to audition the Nova on the Saturday before Easter. Looking forward to it. This store is going to let me hook everything up as if I were doing it at home. They told me to bring my Macbook Pro with me too. This should make my life a lot easier after I purchase it and get it home.

If you want lossless rip the CDs and convert to FLAC. That is lossless. And for the record imagine a zip file not unzipping to bit perfect. You would lose all the data in that file because it just wouldn't open. Well that's what FLAC does to WAV or AIFF files. It compresses them such that they uncompress to the identical file. Anything less would not be lossless.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page