Peachtree Audio - Page 68 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2011 of 2037 Old 04-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for the reply - Jason emailed me an RA and it's on its way in now for a tuneup.  I'm waiting for some of the new B&W 686s to come in to my local shop to set it up with, so I've got a few days I can bear to be without it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2037 Old 04-22-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Got an itch to replace the Emotiva XPA-5 amp. I am starting to use the system more for music listening. Looking at the Peachtree 220 to integrate into my old AVR. i want a small footprint and nice looking box rolleyes.gif I will get a new AVR in the near future with HDMI 2.0.

Peachtree amp good match with the Kef LS50?

Kef spec:

• Crossover frequencies: 2.2kHz
• Frequency response (±3dB): 79Hz - 28 kHz
• Frequency range (-6dB): 47Hz - 45kHz
• Maximum output (SPL): 106dB
• Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 85dB
• Amp Requirements: 25-100w
• Nominal impedance: 8Ω (min. 3.2Ω)

Thanks.
tractng
post #2013 of 2037 Old 04-26-2014, 05:14 PM

Liked: 12

For what it is worth, the Nova i125 is driving my KEF LS 50's beautifully.

I am thinking about hooking up a 220 on the end purely for power and yes I already have enough power for casual listening!

Perhaps i just want more power to handle dynamics but having said that this kit is way better than you would believe at this price point. Only way is to try it.

I think the DAC is fine  and the pre amp stage via the aux is very impressive indeed.

tractng and JonDerda like this.
post #2014 of 2037 Old 04-26-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Thank you for your first post. I know a forum member on the LS50 thread has your combo too.
post #2015 of 2037 Old 05-11-2014, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Considering buying the Nova Pre/220 combo and I've done a few searches but haven't found much. Any issues going with these? In particular any of the humming issues I've been reading about? I've read the customer service is great and can't go wrong but this is going to be with me for a long time. Any thoughts? I will be plugging these into Sonus Faber Venere 2.0's. Thanks guys!

post #2016 of 2037 Old 05-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDerda View Post

The KEFs would actually be a bit more difficult to drive with a decco65. Ultimately how much power you need comes down to speakers sensitivity, the distance from the speakers to where you're doing you're listening, and how hard you like to rock.

The Monitor Silver 6 are rated at 90dB 1W/1M, they're 3dB more efficient than the KEFs. To give you a rough idea, if you were to play the Monitors at 100dB measured from 3 meters away you'd need 90 watts. To play the KEFs at the same volume you'd need 180 watts!

Real world, the decco65 drives speakers with a 90dB sensitivity spec or higher very nicely. Speakers in the mid-80s usually need the nova125.
thanks again for the reply. I ordered a nova125 to go with a pair of kef r500s. I looked at the emotiva amps and they are good bang for buck but the nova125 really hits the sweet spot in terms of power, digital connectivity, and high WAF.

For you digital music guys, I am planning on using an airport express connected to the nova125 via optical. I know spotify does high bitrate streaming but was wondering what others have been using for digital music source to their peachtree amps?
post #2017 of 2037 Old 05-14-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisindahouse View Post

Considering buying the Nova Pre/220 combo and I've done a few searches but haven't found much. Any issues going with these? In particular any of the humming issues I've been reading about? I've read the customer service is great and can't go wrong but this is going to be with me for a long time. Any thoughts? I will be plugging these into Sonus Faber Venere 2.0's. Thanks guys!

Hi Kris-
The hums we've heard about are usually ground loops caused by the RF feed to cable boxes and can be resolved with coax isolation transformers.
post #2018 of 2037 Old 05-14-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

I am planning on using an airport express connected to the nova125 via optical. I know spotify does high bitrate streaming but was wondering what others have been using for digital music source to their peachtree amps?

We recommend the AppleTV for Airplay streaming. Unfortunately a lot of people have experienced drop outs and audible clicks when connecting the Express to a DAC due to timing errors on its digital output.

FWIW, most of us at Peachtree switched to Spotify after MOG was acquired by Beats. The latest version of the Spotify app is pretty sweet.
post #2019 of 2037 Old 05-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Ah interesting. I think I read somewhere that appletv resamples to 48khz. Does this introduce any noticeable audio quality issues?
post #2020 of 2037 Old 05-14-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

Ah interesting. I think I read somewhere that appletv resamples to 48khz. Does this introduce any noticeable audio quality issues?

No quality issues at all.
post #2021 of 2037 Old 05-14-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I picked up an AppleTV when I bought my Nova125, as well, and it's been a great match. I highly recommend downloading the "remote" app to your phone (assuming you have a smart phone), cause it really offers nice functionality.
JonDerda likes this.
post #2022 of 2037 Old 05-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDerda View Post

We recommend the AppleTV for Airplay streaming. Unfortunately a lot of people have experienced drop outs and audible clicks when connecting the Express to a DAC due to timing errors on its digital output.

FWIW, most of us at Peachtree switched to Spotify after MOG was acquired by Beats. The latest version of the Spotify app is pretty sweet.
well I can confirm that my airport express with newest firmware is skipping like crazy also. Disappointing but I will just get an appletv.

I love the nova125, very attractive and the rosewood finish matches my rosewood kef r500s perfectly.

Thanks for such an awesome product guys!

post #2023 of 2037 Old 07-05-2014, 02:21 AM

Anybody have a chance to try out the new SE versions? Curious about the headphone amp changes.....or maybe the differences are too small.
post #2024 of 2037 Old 07-11-2014, 04:17 AM

Liked: 17
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisindahouse View Post
No issues with mine. Definitely a great value and sounds awesome driving my Salks. I highly recommend it.

As far as streaming goes, the ATV works great, but I found I enjoy using the Oppo BDP103 a bit more. That, coupled with Jriver, and it's a serious winner. So easy and works flawlessly. Hell, I can even connect an external HD to a smart router and Jriver picks it up, loads the library and sends it to the Oppo. This can all be done with my laptop, or one of many DLNA apps on my smartphone. It's amazing how convenient and easy it is, not to mention it sounds superb.

I want to know more about this new DAC (Jon, or Jason)! I might have to replace my NovaPre with this piece. Very exciting!
post #2025 of 2037 Old 07-17-2014, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
So how did this combo work out for you? I'm picking up my Venere 2.0's tomorrow and have been taking a serious look at one of the peachtree options.

Would love some input/feedback.
post #2026 of 2037 Old 07-17-2014, 02:24 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to pickup a peachtree component (or two), but not sure about the brand or model to purchase. I was hoping someone could help with some of these questions:
  • Why should I buy peachtree as opposed to say Marantz, Onkyo, NAD, or Denon in the same price range?
  • I've heard about a lot of peachtree components having issues relatively early on in ownership. Is this still true with units purchased recently?
  • Has anyone had issues with one of the refurb units?
  • I'm looking at buying a used Peachtree Nova or a refurbished Decco 65, or a Nova65SE ... what I can't wrap my head around is that the newer models have less inputs and outputs than the older models. Aside that and the fact that the first two aren't being manufactured anymore, can someone in the know tell me the difference between those three models? What's better about the Nova65?
  • And on that previous note, can the audio pre outs be used for a powered subwoofer?
  • Do all of these come with a remote control? Are you able to use a universal remote with them or are you restricted to the one that comes with Peachtree?

They look absolutely sexy, but I need more reasons than just that to buy one. I haven't gotten any response from Peachtree yet, so I thought I would reach out to you folks. Hopefully someone can help.
Also, I'll be powering 2 Venere 2.0 speakers and running alongside a velodyne sub, if that helps.

Thanks!
post #2027 of 2037 Old 07-18-2014, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiR View Post
So how did this combo work out for you? I'm picking up my Venere 2.0's tomorrow and have been taking a serious look at one of the peachtree options.

Would love some input/feedback.
This combo worked out FANTASTIC. I am happier than ever that i decided to go with the Peachtree separates. As for the Veneres, they love the power and the Peachtree really gives it more of the bottom end. As well as purchasing the separates i went ahead and grabbed some Audioquest NRG-10's in which made my experience better and more open. So i strongly urge you go on this path. Not to mention how in love my girlfriend is with the speakers and the amp combo and the cosmetics of them especially the speakers on their stands.
post #2028 of 2037 Old 07-18-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:
This combo worked out FANTASTIC. I am happier than ever that i decided to go with the Peachtree separates. As for the Veneres, they love the power and the Peachtree really gives it more of the bottom end. As well as purchasing the separates i went ahead and grabbed some Audioquest NRG-10's in which made my experience better and more open. So i strongly urge you go on this path. Not to mention how in love my girlfriend is with the speakers and the amp combo and the cosmetics of them especially the speakers on their stands.
Yeah my girl is an architect, and speaking only of aesthetics, she loved the peachtree components. I'm still waiting for Peachtree to answer my email as I have a few questions before I make the purchase.

What kind of speaker cables and banana connectors (if any) are you using? And what kind of speaker stands. Do those make a huge difference? The Sonus Faber stands look nice, but not sure I need to spend $300+ on them? Thoughts?

Haven't had a chance to really test the Venere's out fully since I just got them in, but I'll def put them to the test this weekend.
post #2029 of 2037 Old 07-18-2014, 07:32 AM

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of promoting a pair of Paradigm Studio 10's from surround channels to a stereo system. After going around (and around, and around) on integrated amp choices, the Peachtree Nova125 and Decco65 are looking really good. I would like some knowledgeable input on the value of getting a Nova125 vs. the Decco65 considering the size of the Studio 10's - will I see much if any difference? In theory it might be nice to have more power if I upgraded speakers down the line, but my intention is for these to be true bookshelf speakers, on a bookshelf, and I'm not anticipating replacing them in anything like the near future. I like blowing money on power as much as anyone, but I really shouldn't if the Studio 10s aren't going to show it.

Thanks in advance.

PS - I have tried to listen to the two at our local Crutchfield, but I have not been able to apples to apples with same speakers, quiet listening area, my own music, etc.
post #2030 of 2037 Old 07-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

The paradigm's have a sensitivity of 89db ( http://www.paradigm.com/products-cur...100/page=specs ), so the decco65 is probably enough. According to this calculator ( http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm ) you could get 94db out of 57watts from a 3m listening distance with 3db headroom. The Nova125's 125watts would get you just over 97db in the same conditions, which probably wouldn't be very noticeable.

For speakers with sensitivity in the 86-87db range you probably would definitely want the nova125 instead of the decco65.
post #2031 of 2037 Old 07-18-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah my girl is an architect, and speaking only of aesthetics, she loved the peachtree components. I'm still waiting for Peachtree to answer my email as I have a few questions before I make the purchase.

What kind of speaker cables and banana connectors (if any) are you using? And what kind of speaker stands. Do those make a huge difference? The Sonus Faber stands look nice, but not sure I need to spend $300+ on them? Thoughts?

Haven't had a chance to really test the Venere's out fully since I just got them in, but I'll def put them to the test this weekend.
I am using Audioquest Rockett 88's and its already prepared with banana connectors. I am using the stands that are designed for the speaker, it also adds the arch back in which Sonus Faber does for sound reasons. So yes i do believe they make a little difference in ways. I think they are worth every penny especially because the speakers screw right in and i am sure your girl will appreciate the lovely stands.

post #2032 of 2037 Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
The paradigm's have a sensitivity of 89db ( http://www.paradigm.com/products-cur...100/page=specs ), so the decco65 is probably enough. According to this calculator ( http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm ) you could get 94db out of 57watts from a 3m listening distance with 3db headroom. The Nova125's 125watts would get you just over 97db in the same conditions, which probably wouldn't be very noticeable.

For speakers with sensitivity in the 86-87db range you probably would definitely want the nova125 instead of the decco65.

Thanks very much. Though your analysis is much more technical/precise, this was my sense as well.

Next question - what about the difference between the new Nova65se's class A amp (and updated internals) and the decco65's class D? Has anyone tried a Nova65se yet? You can get the Decco refurbished for $599 directly from Peachtree, which seems like a pretty amazing deal. I feel like the updated components of the Nova65se would be nice if the price comparison were at retail, but not worth $400.
post #2033 of 2037 Old 07-19-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The Nova65se is class D as well.

From the Peachtree site:

Quote:
The novaSE discrete Class-A preamp output stage combines the musicality of Class-A design with the muscle of Class-D amplification.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)

Last edited by Done Deal DR; 07-19-2014 at 11:47 AM.
post #2034 of 2037 Old 07-19-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post
The Nova65se is class D as well.

From the Peachtree site:

Ah, thanks, I misread. Would be interested to know if anyone has done comparison...the Peachtree site's explanation of the differences was a little...unspecific.
post #2035 of 2037 Old 07-19-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaelstromR View Post
Ah, thanks, I misread. Would be interested to know if anyone has done comparison...the Peachtree site's explanation of the differences was a little...unspecific.
Exactly, and they don't respond to email inquiries nor do they pick up their phone. Quite frustrating, not to mention that it doesn't give me any confidence in buying a product from them.
post #2036 of 2037 Old 07-19-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I am using Audioquest Rockett 88's and its already prepared with banana connectors. I am using the stands that are designed for the speaker, it also adds the arch back in which Sonus Faber does for sound reasons. So yes i do believe they make a little difference in ways. I think they are worth every penny especially because the speakers screw right in and i am sure your girl will appreciate the lovely stands.

That setup looks quite sexy. Good to hear about the stands coming from someone other that a SF rep. I will definitely think a little harder about picking up a pair. I own some other audioquest interconnects, and they're great. I may pick up some speaker cables, too. I've been thinking about blue jeans cables, so I may give them a shot. Maybe I'll do an A/B with the audioquest.

By the way, what is that on the lower middle shelf of your TV stand with the blue circles?
post #2037 of 2037 Old 07-19-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
That setup looks quite sexy. Good to hear about the stands coming from someone other that a SF rep. I will definitely think a little harder about picking up a pair. I own some other audioquest interconnects, and they're great. I may pick up some speaker cables, too. I've been thinking about blue jeans cables, so I may give them a shot. Maybe I'll do an A/B with the audioquest.

By the way, what is that on the lower middle shelf of your TV stand with the blue circles?
Yeah, honestly i think these speakers are kind of boring without their stands but thats just me. I highly suggest AQ, and i believe they truly do make the best cables in my opinion. That is my Panamax 5400, its a power surge protector as well as power filtration unit while consistently monitoring the voltage going into my components. Look into them as well, its something that can help improve your sound and protect all your equipment!

Last edited by krisindahouse; 07-19-2014 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Forgot a word
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page