Forum Jump: 
post #2041 of 2046 Old 08-15-2014, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
Ah good to know it isnt just my unit and is instead "the design". My main source of music is Spotify over airplay so what I do for low volume listening is have the peachtree set up at 8 o'clock on the dial and then use the volume control on my ipad to lower the volume.

I know there is a potential quality loss in doing this, but since the volume is low I doubt it is perceptible anyway. Not the ideal solution but it works.
I have it connected to my computer and I have to turn it down either a notch or two and it usually ends up perfect but you will figure it out. For me I'm living in an apartment so you learn to manage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2046 Old 09-07-2014, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello there to all!

1st thing 1st - David & all Peachtree team - what an amazing story so far, innovation & great quality at a reasonable price point in an ever-more challenging society for currently middle-class workers And let us not forget the fact that it is so amazing to see you David, Jim etc. come and share here - just the way it should be

I am a proud owner of the 1st iteration of the Nova, teamed with the Polk LSi 7 speakers, and connected by entry level Kimble cables 4PR with banana connectors.

Time has come to invest for the pleasure of my musical soul. I will definitely be buying a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona M speakers (can't wait)!

My musical taste is as varied as they come, classical, rock, flamenco guitar, acid jazz, chill out a la cafe del mar, choirs, instrumental, punk, soul, even good rap sometimes...!

My room is 4x4m (hence not that big). I presume for normal listening levels the existing Nova will drive the SF speakers?

However I look to the long term when I will have more space in a nice house somewhere

And now here come the doubts, since the speaker's price is steep and I need to keep the amp price down without compromising quality.

1) Use Nova as preamp and pair it with a Peachtree 220 power amp (D class) - 700GBP

2) Use Nova as preamp and pair it with Emotiva XPA-2 (A/B class) - 700GBP

3) Get the real stuff: grand integrated X-1 - 3500GBP

Now yes I am aware testing/hearing each of these would serve me best, but that hardly seems possible...

The hidden questions are:

- Does Emotiva's A/B class topography indeed give more "tube like warm sound" than Peachtree D class?
- Does the Grand Integrated noticeably (say in +70% cases - if possible to quantify at all) improve the imaging/resolution/clarity compared to other 2 options?

In all honesty if the Grand Integrated is the way to go it won't be before a year or two before I will buy it really...

Hence all, David, Peachtree, please do share your thoughts regarding amp choices, and even the speaker choice I made for 5000GBP! I'm all about quality/musicality and long term

Finally the million $ question to David and Peachtree: is there something big cooking in your labs worth waiting for in the years to come - a new grand GRAND integrated ?

So once again thank you so much for all your constructive advice/info to which I am looking forward to !

Cheers,
Andrej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachtree Audio View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by ilovesfa13

Having said this, there seems to be a lot of confusion to the up-side of the Grand that I thought I'd cover if you'll indulge me.

While the Grand Integrated does have more power..., that's just the start. Everything else, starting w/the preamp is far superior, however, none of this is not cheap to do...
Starting w the preamp, we're using a VCA volume gate. This gives us less than 1/200dB crosstalk. Any analog volume control we tried (even up to $175 our cost) gave us from 1-2.5 dB crosstalk. Losing the crosstalk gave us near perfect phase coherence. This means (as long as your speakers are very phase coherent, or "the same", which yours are) you'll get much better imaging, even well outside the speaker boundaries. I go into greater detail in the Grand review on 6moons.com if you're interested. We then come into the amp fully balanced allowing us much better gain and headroom.
Going to the headphone amp: The HP output is much stronger and also benefits greatly in the same way as your speakers from the VCA in the preamp. It will push any headphone that we've tested so far including the new HiFi Man. This is a piece that we wanted to be able to stand on its own fro the serious "Can Crowd".

The 9018 Reference Sabre is a HUGE improvement over any DAC we use now, or have ever used. This includes the Stereophile Class A iDac which uses the 9016. It's amazing how much better this DAC sounds. The 9018 is a star component and although all of the ESS DAC's we've used in the past get great magazine and customer reviews, the 9018 is simply in a different league. It just sounds more musical and effortless. And if I do say so myself (as humbly as possible) we did a really nice job w/the circuit design, which is just as important as the DAC itself.
So while it does boast the same looking numbers, other than the amp, don't rest on just numbers. If there's anything we've learned about DAC's, you can seldom go on just the numbers... There are many ways to implement the DAC circuit. Anything can go wrong or right in the process of adding in another 400 plus parts and then the overall circuit layout. This was a lesson learned well when we worked w/Musical Fidelity.
Lastly, it's made here in the USA. We get the case and transformer off shore, but anything that makes sound from boards to parts is from the USA.
For the last 7 months, we've pushed almost every "hard to drive" or "most respected" speaker in the industry. A lot of them are on Facebook.

Our message w/the Grand is "Sure, it will make almost any speaker sound awesome, but even more, if you've been wanting a set of B&W800's, Wilson Sophia/Sasha, Martin Logan CLX/Montis, Magnaplaner 20.7's or any of the awesome speakers out there. They're typically shown w/a $30k-$200k stack of electronics, which takes them way out of the price range of most people. We now have a GREAT solution for a fraction of that, and it pushes them all, with authority and musicality. At RMAF last year, we debuted the Sonus Faber Elipsa se and this year we used the $78k Reference One TAD. It's a boatload of fun carrying around a stack killer that can actually keep up with or surpass most any stack of gear we've come across. And WAF is actually on the table w/a piece like this too. Is there better? Yep probably, but you'd be spending a LOT more and giving up a lot more real estate.

The two reviews from 6moons and Audiostream can give you more detail if needed.

Thanks for letting me get on my soapbox and I sincerely hope this has helped.
post #2043 of 2046 Old 09-08-2014, 05:10 AM

Liked: 17
......waiting patiently to hear more about this SonaDac
post #2044 of 2046 Old 09-10-2014, 01:23 PM

Liked: 0
As a matter of fact I just realized it is worthwhile to add 1 further questions and an extra bit of info concerning the already lengthy description below.

Instead of getting a SF Cremona M I will get the SF Olympica 2/3.

-Realistically how much sound/signal quality may be lost IF I connect my Nova to the 220W Peachtree power amp (i.e. is it worthwile selling my Nova and buying the 220 SE integrated amp)?

Once again thanks, and looking forward to the collective wisdom
Andrej

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab123s View Post
Hello there to all!

1st thing 1st - David & all Peachtree team - what an amazing story so far, innovation & great quality at a reasonable price point in an ever-more challenging society for currently middle-class workers And let us not forget the fact that it is so amazing to see you David, Jim etc. come and share here - just the way it should be

I am a proud owner of the 1st iteration of the Nova, teamed with the Polk LSi 7 speakers, and connected by entry level Kimble cables 4PR with banana connectors.

Time has come to invest for the pleasure of my musical soul. I will definitely be buying a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona M speakers (can't wait)!

My musical taste is as varied as they come, classical, rock, flamenco guitar, acid jazz, chill out a la cafe del mar, choirs, instrumental, punk, soul, even good rap sometimes...!

My room is 4x4m (hence not that big). I presume for normal listening levels the existing Nova will drive the SF speakers?

However I look to the long term when I will have more space in a nice house somewhere

And now here come the doubts, since the speaker's price is steep and I need to keep the amp price down without compromising quality.

1) Use Nova as preamp and pair it with a Peachtree 220 power amp (D class) - 700GBP

2) Use Nova as preamp and pair it with Emotiva XPA-2 (A/B class) - 700GBP

3) Get the real stuff: grand integrated X-1 - 3500GBP

Now yes I am aware testing/hearing each of these would serve me best, but that hardly seems possible...

The hidden questions are:

- Does Emotiva's A/B class topography indeed give more "tube like warm sound" than Peachtree D class?
- Does the Grand Integrated noticeably (say in +70% cases - if possible to quantify at all) improve the imaging/resolution/clarity compared to other 2 options?

In all honesty if the Grand Integrated is the way to go it won't be before a year or two before I will buy it really...

Hence all, David, Peachtree, please do share your thoughts regarding amp choices, and even the speaker choice I made for 5000GBP! I'm all about quality/musicality and long term

Finally the million $ question to David and Peachtree: is there something big cooking in your labs worth waiting for in the years to come - a new grand GRAND integrated ?

So once again thank you so much for all your constructive advice/info to which I am looking forward to !

Cheers,
Andrej
post #2045 of 2046 Unread 10-05-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab123s View Post
As a matter of fact I just realized it is worthwhile to add 1 further questions and an extra bit of info concerning the already lengthy description below.

Instead of getting a SF Cremona M I will get the SF Olympica 2/3.

-Realistically how much sound/signal quality may be lost IF I connect my Nova to the 220W Peachtree power amp (i.e. is it worthwile selling my Nova and buying the 220 SE integrated amp)?

Once again thanks, and looking forward to the collective wisdom
Andrej
I currently have a Peachtree 220se driving a pair of Aerial 7ts. How much better is the Grand Integrated X1 compared to the 220se. Is it just more power or will I get better imaging, a better soundstage, and what about the bass?
post #2046 of 2046 Unread 11-01-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All. I need some info.

The headphone output of my Decco65 is insufficient. Instead of purchasing more sensitive headphones I'm thinking about adding a Schiit headphone amp.

1. With the Peachtree's preamp output driving the Schiit Asgard 2, will the Peachtree's speaker output still be 'live' ?

2.Assuming the Peachtree's speaker output would indeed still be 'live', would plugging a headphone plug (plug only...no headphone attached) into the Peachtree headphone jack mute the speaker output ?

3. Assuming the speaker output does indeed mute, there would be no 'load' on the Peachtree's headphone circuit. Over time could this damage the Peachtree ?

Thanks for this great forum.
Reply 2-Channel Audio