post #181 of 2041 Old 06-29-2009, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkshift View Post

Yes.

It's a little irritating but not sure if it is worth contacting tech support over. I wonder if it is an Apple TV thing or anything connected to the optical input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2041 Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had a cd player hooked up with a toslink and the same thing happened.
post #183 of 2041 Old 06-30-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKYR1967 View Post

It's a little irritating but not sure if it is worth contacting tech support over. I wonder if it is an Apple TV thing or anything connected to the optical input.

We're looking in to this at Peachtree even though we've only heard of this problem from 4 or 5 individuals. I have 2 Apple TVs playing but everything seems OK so far. However, that doesn't mean it won't show up later. Is it *song* dependent?

We're going to experiment with a software change that alters the sensitivity of the optical digital input to accept a heavily jittered signal. Since Optical digital is prone to heavy jitter it may apply here. If we can recreate your problem it will be easy to test.

Really appreciate all the input guys. This is very helpful.
post #184 of 2041 Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I pulled the trigger on a Nova. Should be receiving it on Monday.
post #185 of 2041 Old 07-01-2009, 04:34 AM

I'm trying to better understand this product vs a traditional integrated tube amp. If running it on airport, isn't there a lot of loss? Similarly, if the connection is to a flimsy mac with bad outputs, does the sound get distorted or is there loss versus a traditional cd due not to the source but to the connections?

I'm trying to decide between peachtree and a cayin a-88. Having to pay nearly $3,000 less (which would be the additional cost of the a-88 and matching cd player) is certainly appealing, but would would I lose in going with peachtree?

Like another poster, my goal would be to drive Totem Hawks.
post #186 of 2041 Old 07-01-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metacritic View Post

I'm trying to better understand this product vs a traditional integrated tube amp. If running it on airport, isn't there a lot of loss? Similarly, if the connection is to a flimsy mac with bad outputs, does the sound get distorted or is there loss versus a traditional cd due not to the source but to the connections?

I'm trying to decide between peachtree and a cayin a-88. Having to pay nearly $3,000 less (which would be the additional cost of the a-88 and matching cd player) is certainly appealing, but would would I lose in going with peachtree?

Like another poster, my goal would be to drive Totem Hawks.

The Nova is not a tube amp. It is a hybrid integrated with a tube pre-amp stage.
Also, what is so "flimsy" about the output of a Mac? or an Airport Express for that matter?
post #187 of 2041 Old 07-01-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKYR1967 View Post

The Nova is not a tube amp. It is a hybrid integrated with a tube pre-amp stage.
Also, what is so "flimsy" about the output of a Mac? or an Airport Express for that matter?

Maybe I'm wrong on this account but this is precisely what I'm trying to determine. Will I lose sound quality by streaming from airport express? The connections from macs (or airport) aren't, I assume, intended for high end stereo users.

I'd likely want to stream using airport so as not to have an unattractive computer cluttering my living room, but I worry about degraded sound if I go this route. Am I wrong to worry?
post #188 of 2041 Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Maybe I'm wrong on this account but this is precisely what I'm trying to determine. Will I lose sound quality by streaming from airport express? The connections from macs (or airport) aren't, I assume, intended for high end stereo users.

I'd likely want to stream using airport so as not to have an unattractive computer cluttering my living room, but I worry about degraded sound if I go this route. Am I wrong to worry?

I'm currently streaming Airport into an Onkyo 9555 to a pair of PSB Imagine towers. The sound is actually better than I was expecting. Far, far from perfect, but it is not that much different than my iPhone dock running into the Onkyo. Of course, CD blows them both away, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Airport. It works perfect for casual listening (esp. if you have an iPhone/Touch and use the Remote App.)
post #189 of 2041 Old 07-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The airport will work just fine for streaming music via toslink from the digital out. Sure, there are better media servers that are designed specifically for stereo use, but how much do you want to spend. You can also send it via usb from the Mac.
post #190 of 2041 Old 07-02-2009, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Any new updates on the preamp version of the Nova? Any ideas on pricing, upgrades over the Nova and projected availabilty?

Any news for the Nova Pre?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #191 of 2041 Old 07-02-2009, 02:44 PM

Hi Guys,
Sorry I was absent for so long. AVS lets me know when there's a new post, but haven't received one in a while so glad I checked. I'll get to all of the pending questions above sooner than later.
Best wishes,
David
post #192 of 2041 Old 07-02-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

How does the Nova hold up using decent 4 ohm speakers? I am using Dynaudio's and I have currently downsized my system from Musical Fidelity KW-500 to a A5 and now I am just using one of the newer NAD Int. Amps. Just curious on how this unit will do on a more difficult load? Thanks.... Familiar with the Decco as I did own one for awhile but it didn't seem to have enough juice to run my speakers.

Hi Garman,
Should have no problem w/a stable 4ohm load speaker. However, many of the 4ohm speakers spend time in the 1-2 ohm range which the Nova would have a problem. In this case, I's suggest an outboard amp anyway. Depending on which Dyn's you have, you are possibly just fine..
I would write Dyn about the specific impedance curve for the speaker.
Best wishes,
David
post #193 of 2041 Old 07-02-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johsti View Post

Is the Nova the same size as the Decco? Crutchfield lists the dimensions as slightly different, but I was under the impression that they were the same size.

Only the case is the same....everything else, big upgrades. But it is the same size.
David
post #194 of 2041 Old 07-02-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Any news for the Nova Pre?

Bill

Hi Bill,
Still working on the dac/pre as well as quite a few other products. I expect we'll see the dac/pre in early 2010.
Best, David
post #195 of 2041 Old 07-03-2009, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm doing some troubleshooting now with 24/96 sources on the PC (FLAC) - some material is native and some is being upsampled by Foobar/J. River - EMU 1616M is the interface (Toslink or Coax) to the NOVA.

When using an EMU card you have to set the sampling rate and it can not be changed on the fly, thus I have to set at my highest used sample rate.

Video also must be resampled (using FFDSHOW) and this is where I hear a lot of digital clicks/sampling errors. FFDSHOW has 3 levels of quality for resampling; I'm using the highest. I'm also using Windows 7 which is new for me; I was using XP in the past and always use EMU ASIO driver for audio.

I've never had any issues with EMU or J. River in the past when used with a Lavry, and I'm even hearing artifacts when using 44kHz, letting the NOVA doing the re-sampling.

Signalpath offered the possibility of overheating which I still have to check out as a possibility by taking the NOVA.

I love the NOVA but really have to isolate this issue so I'm trying varioud cables, sound cards, and sampling rates.

Will report back.

DC

Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. IK
post #196 of 2041 Old 07-05-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorcilantro View Post

I'm doing some troubleshooting now with 24/96 sources on the PC (FLAC) - some material is native and some is being upsampled by Foobar/J. River - EMU 1616M is the interface (Toslink or Coax) to the NOVA.

When using an EMU card you have to set the sampling rate and it can not be changed on the fly, thus I have to set at my highest used sample rate.

Video also must be resampled (using FFDSHOW) and this is where I hear a lot of digital clicks/sampling errors. FFDSHOW has 3 levels of quality for resampling; I'm using the highest. I'm also using Windows 7 which is new for me; I was using XP in the past and always use EMU ASIO driver for audio.

I've never had any issues with EMU or J. River in the past when used with a Lavry, and I'm even hearing artifacts when using 44kHz, letting the NOVA doing the re-sampling.

Signalpath offered the possibility of overheating which I still have to check out as a possibility by taking the NOVA.

I love the NOVA but really have to isolate this issue so I'm trying varioud cables, sound cards, and sampling rates.

Will report back.

DC

Hi DC.....Thanks for the feedback

I will pass this on to our engineers but recreating your situation could be very difficult/impossible without buying the EMU and using Windows7 with your same software. I do not think it's overheating. It sounds like the digital artifacts you are hearing only occur when video is also being used (?)

Go back to XP and see if it works. I remember when Vista first rolled out it had a myriad of problems with audio dropouts. I just Googled "Vista Audio Problems" and got 20 million hits! It was a mess for several months.

I would feed a 16bit 44.1 signal in to a SPFIF input directly off a CD player not using the EMU card just to be sure the DAC is functioning properly. Then send a 24/96 signal in to the Coaxial input without video to see if it is accepting that signal OK. (It should)

If both of those tests work then it most likely has to do with software, but at this point my level of expertise rolls off at 24db/octave. As I said, this will be passed on to our engineers.

DC...I'll be out of the country for 12 days so hopefully David, our engineers, and you can figure this one out . Sorry for the inconvenience.
post #197 of 2041 Old 07-05-2009, 09:06 AM

Thanks!

I am going to test:

44kHz via USB___ PC>NOVA

44/96kHz via Coax___PC>NOVA (EMU 1616M breakout box)

44/96kHz via Coax___PC>NOVA (EMU 1616M PCI card)

48kHz via HDMI>Toslink (through TV)___PC>NOVA (onboard hdmi audio)

44kHz via Toslink___Cable box>Nova

44kHz via Toslink___Cd player>Nova

will report back,
DC

post #198 of 2041 Old 07-06-2009, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Era Design View Post

Hi Bill,
Still working on the dac/pre as well as quite a few other products. I expect we'll see the dac/pre in early 2010.
Best, David

Hi David,

Thanks for the update. I will look forward to the Dac/Pre release as well as your other products.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #199 of 2041 Old 07-06-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Era Design View Post

Hi Guys,
Sorry I was absent for so long. AVS lets me know when there's a new post, but haven't received one in a while so glad I checked. I'll get to all of the pending questions above sooner than later.
Best wishes,
David

Hi,

From your experience will there be an improvement, by using transporter instead of SB3 as a transport?

Oren
post #200 of 2041 Old 07-06-2009, 09:55 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by orenpld View Post

Hi,

From your experience will there be an improvement, by using transporter instead of SB3 as a transport?

Oren

The difference in the two as a digital transport only is that the transporter can output 24/96K files while the SB3 is limited to 16/48K. That said, there is rumor of a new "Squeezebox Touch" which may or may not do 24/96K files and is priced similar to the SB3. Basically unless you plan to do 24/96 files, I wouldn't bother with the transporter at all.
I do wonder if the Nova USB dac is limited to 16/48 like most are, or capable of 24/96 over USB. I think the DAC1 is the only USB solution for that I am currently aware of.
post #201 of 2041 Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

I believe the SB3 will downsample 24/96 to 24/48 rather than 16/48.
post #202 of 2041 Old 07-06-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iostream View Post

The difference in the two as a digital transport only is that the transporter can output 24/96K files while the SB3 is limited to 16/48K. That said, there is rumor of a new "Squeezebox Touch" which may or may not do 24/96K files and is priced similar to the SB3. Basically unless you plan to do 24/96 files, I wouldn't bother with the transporter at all.
I do wonder if the Nova USB dac is limited to 16/48 like most are, or capable of 24/96 over USB. I think the DAC1 is the only USB solution for that I am currently aware of.

NOVA USB implementation is 44kHz; maybe 48 I'll have to check.

Wavelength Proton can do 96kHz and its a high quality async; I'm thinking of trying one if I can't work out this sync issue over Tos/Coax at 96kHz. I'm on my 2nd second sound card and just heard a loud click from the other room over the audio after about 20 minutes w/o any issues. I'm guessing I'm the only when throwing 96kHz at the NOVA as no one has chimed in here.

One more sound card to try (hopefully it will solve the problem and isolate the issue).

DC

post #203 of 2041 Old 07-07-2009, 12:26 PM

How does the headphone amp on the nova compare to that of the decco? Does anyone have experience running AKG K701s with either?
post #204 of 2041 Old 07-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Will a harmony universal remote work with the Nova? I thought I read that it would but wanted to see if anyone has first hand experience.
post #205 of 2041 Old 07-08-2009, 07:27 PM

Are there going to be Nova & speaker package deals like I've seen for the Decco? ie. combining the Nova with the DS4.5's.
post #206 of 2041 Old 07-09-2009, 09:53 AM

I had to join this forum just to say how much I love my Peachtree Nova. I've had it for about for about two months now, and it's really broken in nicely. I'm running it with a Wadia iTransport (which is awesome) with a 120gb ipod with all apple lossless files, a pair of Sunfire Cinema Duo CRM-2s, and a Sunfire True Junior Subwoofer. Basically, my desire for a high fidelity system had to be combined with my wife's desire (demand) for the smallest system possible.

The system performs tremendously. I've experimented with separating components and isolating the performance of each, and it I've noticed that the Nova's DAC is really quite impressive. Combined with the excellent Sunfire speakers I get a phenomenal soundstage (you have to listen to the sunfires, tiny and amazing). My jazz collection (especially Charles Mingus and Cecil Taylor) has never brought me so much joy. I've never really experienced "being there" on a home stereo before, but now I get it. And my whole system cost under $3,000 thanks to ebay (though the Nova was full price).

The tube pre-amp is excellent as well. I've switched it on and off many times to listen to the difference. In quieter music it's not very noticable. In loud or crescendo-based music, though, the smoothing effect is very noticable and very pleasant (for example, when listening to the loud parts of Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, or Isis). Also, there's not much discussion I've seen about the button on the back that switches from "sharp" to "slow", but I prefer the sound of the "slow". That, combined with the tube, smooths the digital music without mucking it up, and gives it a very pleasing and non-fatiguing sound.

The amplifier itself is very clean and oddly powerful. It fills my medium size room very loudly at half volume. I also have an APC power conditioner and I never hear any noise other than what's in the music.

Finally, the headphone amp is the cherry on top. I have Sennheiser HD 650 headphones and wow the music is so pure when pumping through those. While I prefer music through speakers, as I like the more organic soundstage, the headphone set up is perfect for reference.

In sum, I could not be happier with the Nova and I highly, highly recommend it to everyone. I think my set up is perhaps the best small high fidelity set up available.

My only annoyances with the Nova:

1. I have the same problem with others that when it first turns on the first second or so of the song doesn't play. I assumed this was an issue with the iTransport, but I guess not. This is a very minor issue, though.

2. In headphone mode the speakers automatically turn off but the subwoofer output does not. This is more annoying, since I need to manually deal with the sub any time I listen to the headphones. But not a major problem. It did lead to a hilarious scene the first time I put on my headphones then put on music when I thought "wow, this amp really brings out the bass in my headphones," only realize the sub was on.

3. I now find music pretty unlistenable on average stereos. I guess I shouldn't complain about this, though!

If you're thinking about buying the Nova, just buy it, you will be happy. And look for the Sunfire Cinema Duos too. I got a pair on ebay for $800, which is a steal.
post #207 of 2041 Old 07-09-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmicromix View Post

2. In headphone mode the speakers automatically turn off but the subwoofer output does not. This is more annoying, since I need to manually deal with the sub any time I listen to the headphones. But not a major problem. It did lead to a hilarious scene the first time I put on my headphones then put on music when I thought "wow, this amp really brings out the bass in my headphones," only realize the sub was on.

Interesting. While it kind of defeats the purpose of headphones, I had always wondered what a difference a sub would make for the headphone experience. My REL will be hooked up using the speaker terminals though, so I shouldn't notice it.
post #208 of 2041 Old 07-09-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johsti View Post

Will a harmony universal remote work with the Nova? I thought I read that it would but wanted to see if anyone has first hand experience.

I'd like to know this as well. I'm 99% there on buying the Nova, but if it doesn't work with my harmony one, that will give me serious pause ....

(Though when I set up my Onkyo I saw Signal Path in there, so I assumed it was ok ...)
post #209 of 2041 Old 07-09-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmicromix View Post

I had to join this forum just to say how much I love my Peachtree Nova. I've had it for about for about two months now, and it's really broken in nicely. I'm running it with a Wadia iTransport (which is awesome) with a 120gb ipod with all apple lossless files, a pair of Sunfire Cinema Duo CRM-2s, and a Sunfire True Junior Subwoofer. Basically, my desire for a high fidelity system had to be combined with my wife's desire (demand) for the smallest system possible.

The system performs tremendously. I've experimented with separating components and isolating the performance of each, and it I've noticed that the Nova's DAC is really quite impressive. Combined with the excellent Sunfire speakers I get a phenomenal soundstage (you have to listen to the sunfires, tiny and amazing). My jazz collection (especially Charles Mingus and Cecil Taylor) has never brought me so much joy. I've never really experienced "being there" on a home stereo before, but now I get it. And my whole system cost under $3,000 thanks to ebay (though the Nova was full price).

The tube pre-amp is excellent as well. I've switched it on and off many times to listen to the difference. In quieter music it's not very noticable. In loud or crescendo-based music, though, the smoothing effect is very noticable and very pleasant (for example, when listening to the loud parts of Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, or Isis). Also, there's not much discussion I've seen about the button on the back that switches from "sharp" to "slow", but I prefer the sound of the "slow". That, combined with the tube, smooths the digital music without mucking it up, and gives it a very pleasing and non-fatiguing sound.

The amplifier itself is very clean and oddly powerful. It fills my medium size room very loudly at half volume. I also have an APC power conditioner and I never hear any noise other than what's in the music.

Finally, the headphone amp is the cherry on top. I have Sennheiser HD 650 headphones and wow the music is so pure when pumping through those. While I prefer music through speakers, as I like the more organic soundstage, the headphone set up is perfect for reference.

In sum, I could not be happier with the Nova and I highly, highly recommend it to everyone. I think my set up is perhaps the best small high fidelity set up available.

My only annoyances with the Nova:

1. I have the same problem with others that when it first turns on the first second or so of the song doesn't play. I assumed this was an issue with the iTransport, but I guess not. This is a very minor issue, though.

3. I now find music pretty unlistenable on average stereos. I guess I shouldn't complain about this, though!

If you're thinking about buying the Nova, just buy it, you will be happy. And look for the Sunfire Cinema Duos too. I got a pair on ebay for $800, which is a steal.

Thanks for posting this. Very good review. I'm assuming by your DJ user name you listen to lots of electronic music (which is what I listen to almost exclusively). The Nova handles electronic stuff as well as "organic" music? Better?
post #210 of 2041 Old 07-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It will work fine. If it's not listed in the Harmony database, you can simply teach the commands to the remote while it's plugged into your computer. I had to do that with my Nevo Q50. It should only take a couple of minutes since there aren't that many commands anyway.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page