Peachtree Audio - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #2191 of 2213 Old 12-22-2016, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
All our computing hardware (laptops, phones) are Apple products. I don't doubt there are better music applications than iTunes, or that it's possible for PCs and Macs to play nicely together. Still, I think it makes life a little easier to stay within one ecosystem (esp. with other family members involved).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2213 Old 12-22-2016, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
I'm a newbie; this is my first forum post.

Yesterday I hooked up a new Peachtree Nova150 to a pair of Totem Acoustics Arro speakers in a 16'x20' living room. Love, love, love the sound. So far, I've only played iOS devices (an iPhone 7 and an iPod Touch 5th gen) connected via USB-to-Lightening cable directly to the Nova's USB-A port.

I haven't decided yet what to use as our primary listening source. Candidates:
1. Airplay from iTunes (on MacBook/iPhone) to AppleTV connected from TV via Toslink to Nova optical port -- this probably would offer the best user interface for song selection (but maybe not the best audio quality);
2. iPod Touch connected directly to the Nova's USB-A port, using a 10' USB-to-Lightening cable -- this would be an inexpensive way to give anyone in the family hard-wired control (but does not seem to offer good, complete remote control options);
3. Mac Mini music server connected to Nova's USB-B and remote-controlled via Remote app from iOS devices -- this may be the best option for audio quality and music library management (but adds cost and complexity to the system).

Thoughts? Mind you, I'm a recently retired Old Guy who's been using a ~30 year old integrated amp (simple!) connected to Totem bookshelf speakers and controlled by AppleTV (connected into amp via analog audio Y-cable). This is a new system I'm setting up in another room. The latest generation of digital audio is still a little daunting to me ... and beyond baffling to my wife. Trying to balance cost, quality, and ease-of-use ... amid so many new options ... is an interesting challenge.
Congrats on your new Peachtree, they are great sounding and looking products for sure. From your description, it seems to me that your first option using the ATV and optical connection would be the easiest for you to transition and use since that is what you are already accustomed to. For sound quality, consideration of your source files is important to determine how far you go with a digital based audio setup. Are your files lossless CD rips in iTunes (ALAC) or are they MP3's? Do you use streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music or Tidal? The point of this is that it can be a waste of time and money to go too far with complex systems if the source files themselves are of lower-average quality and not lossless CD quality or higher resolution.

For my home, i have spent quite a bit on a digital system that i use for my own listening sessions or when i'm in control of the music. However, my wife, like yours, has the same feeling about digital music, therefore i bought and hooked up a Sonos Connect to my older Peachtree Nova (in fact it sits right inside!) and connect it using digital coax, i also purchased a couple of Sonos Play 1's to put in our kitchen and bedroom. Needless to say, the Sonos software is incredibly easy to use, super reliable and you can add streaming services like Tidal, Amazon, etc along with your iTunes library. My wife got the hang of it pretty quickly and she uses it all the time now (she has the app on her own iPhone)

Good luck
post #2193 of 2213 Old 12-22-2016, 09:44 AM

That's great feedback, marksas.

Most songs in my music library are (or probably will be) ripped from CDs using iTunes set to Apple Lossless. We also listen to Pandora or occasionally to internet radio. Wife is content to listen to FM or drop a CD into cheap 30 year old components hooked up to original Bose AM5s, or with a Wave Radio ... but would like to eliminate the CD clutter. I was thinking of just the kind of set-up you described, with a main digital system (possibly managed through a Mac Mini), then 1 or 2 subsystems that use either wireless speakers or small passive stereo speakers (like the Totem Kin Minis) connected together in a wireless network (using Sonos, Blusound, or Apple controls). I do like the Sonos Connect/Connect:Amp and corresponding Bluesound products.

Although, after setting up my new Peachtree amp and Totem speakers, I'm not sure I'm going to want to listen to music much from anywhere but my LR chair (or car). 1 small wireless Sonos/Bluesound/Airplay speaker near the kitchen might be enough (just to listen to the news while cooking etc.) As long as my partner can use the main system easily (which I think can be accomplished via AppleTV). When I want to listen to higher res content, I suppose it's easy enough to switch to a USB-coupled computer.

post #2194 of 2213 Old 12-22-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
I'm a newbie; this is my first forum post.
I haven't decided yet what to use as our primary listening source. Candidates:
1. Airplay from iTunes (on MacBook/iPhone) to AppleTV connected from TV via Toslink to Nova optical port -- this probably would offer the best user interface for song selection (but maybe not the best audio quality);
Why do you think this? Airplay is lossless compression and optical has more than enough bandwidth to deliver 16bit 44.1khz stereo.

I use an appleTV hooked up to my nova125 and have a spare ipad in the livingroom that I use to stream music from apple music, npr radio, Spotify, youtube, etc etc via airplay. It was only $100, and works incredibly well and is very family friendly.
post #2195 of 2213 Old 12-22-2016, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I connect my iPhone 7 Plus / iPad Pro via lightning and stream through Tidal. Just make sure that you set your Tidal settings to stream on Wi-fi or Data plan on HiFi. It's lossless 24bit through optical / USB-A. If you want to play super high res, you can do so using your Mac / PC by connecting a USB to USB type B which should get you 32bit audio.

I love my Nova150 and have pretty much abandoned surround sound for stereo.

TV: LG B6 OLED 4K HDR Smart TV - 65" Class | Set-top Box / DVR / Content sources: Tivo Roamio, Apple TV, PS4
Integrated Amp: Peachtree Audio Nova 150 -- 240 watts x 2 @ 4Ω | A/V Receiver: Marantz SR-5011 5.2.2 configured (fronts powered by integrated amp)
Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XT, 50XT center, Dynamo 700 Subwoofer, Def Tech Mythos 6 surrounds
Power Line Conditioner: Panamax M5400-PM
post #2196 of 2213 Old 12-23-2016, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/a...lity-on-TIDAL-Tidal streams 16bit 44.1khz 1411kbps flac. Not 24 or 32 bit.
post #2197 of 2213 Old 12-23-2016, 04:18 AM

OK ... I've now hooked up an AppleTV unit that SlingTV sent me for a discounted price (which, I hope, will finally allow us to cut our ~$80/mo cable TV service.)

Connections:
AppleTV device to Samsung TV via HDMI;
Samsung TV to Nova150 via optical Toslink, for music;
Samsung TV also to ZVox 220 Soundbase (under TV) via analog Y cable (to replace TV's crappy internal speakers).

ZVox is programmed to learn AppleTV remote signals for +/- volume control;
however, Nova150 apparently cannot learn signals from any other product's remote.

This seems to give me family-friendly control almost entirely from the AppleTV's little remote.I can turn on the TV, select SlingTV and quickly get to CNN (not the "CNN Go" app, but just-like-cable live TV over internet), increase/decrease the volume, and back out to put the TV and AppleTV to sleep.

I also can select music from my iTunes Match library, but at this point, need to turn on the Nova150 from its own controls. I can use the AppleTV remote to pause/resume the Nova150 playback, but apparently not to control the volume (since Samsung audio to external speakers is fixed line out). I also don't seem to have any way to control stereo speaker L/R balance. The Nova150 has no tone or balance controls either on its front panel or on its remote. An iOS device gives that control, awkwardly, through the Settings/General/Accessibility settings; however, this doesn't seem to affect an Airplay stream. The only way I've found to control speaker balance is by connecting the iOS device to the Nova150's USB-A port via USB-to-Lightning. By then I'm well away from 1-stick, family-friendly remote control over music playback. Using the Nova's USB-A connection (great as it is) takes me out of the very user-friendly, remote controlled user interface of the AppleTV. Wife's eyes glaze over when I try to explain the differences between a USB-A wired connection, Airplay, when to switch back to Opt-1, etc.

So I'm pretty close, but not *quite* where I want to be. Later this weekend I'll try connecting a MacBook to the Nova's USB-B port via a long USB A-to-B cable (as Loft23 suggested). This should give me full control over iTunes music playback from my easy chair. Although, I think 10K is right that Airplay audio quality is quite good.

Last edited by TunedIn; 12-23-2016 at 04:23 AM.
post #2198 of 2213 Old 12-23-2016, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a similar setup with a fire tv going hdmi to tv and optical to the peachtree. I also have the computer on a separate hdmi to the tv for video and USB to the peachtree for audio.

While I don't do anything with tone control, I do have Dirac live for room correction. It works great and is customizable for the sound you prefer. It is expensive and I'm not really recommended it to you, just putting it out there.

Anyways, to control my setup I use a harmony remote by Logitech. It is very simple to use and setup and will control all your devices with ease. This is the one I use,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #2199 of 2213 Old 12-30-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I have a similar setup with a fire tv going hdmi to tv and optical to the peachtree. I also have the computer on a separate hdmi to the tv for video and USB to the peachtree for audio.
After using the Nova150 for about a week and a half, I'm finding my favorite connection for digital music is from my MacBook Pro via USB to the amp. Unless I'm missing something, this USB connection seems to offer several advantages over Airplay streaming from a Mac or iOS device:

1. iTunes on the wired Mac allows multi-casting to Airplay targets. As far as I can tell, from the iOS device one can choose only 1 remote Airplay target at a time (e.g. iPhone to bedroom AppleTV or to family room Airport Express, but not to both at once)

2. iTunes on a Mac supports ad-free internet radio playlists. These are not exposed to the iCloud Music Library via iTunes Match. To get internet radio stations on Apple TV or an iOS device, apparently one needs to install 3rd party apps like TuneIn (and pay subscription fees to get ad-free content). The selection of 3rd party radio apps seems to be rather limited for tvOS.

3. iTunes on a Mac offers better volume control, IMO, than the little sliders available in the swipe-up iOS control center. By pressing and holding the USB-B source selection button on the Nova150's front panel (until it turns from blue to green), I can transfer volume control to the wired source device (my Mac). Then I can control volume easily, fully and precisely from the keyboard F10-F12 keys. I also can control L/R balance via Audio Midi setup.

Once the USB connection to the Nova is in place, play can be controlled from the Remote app on an iOS device, or via VNC from another Mac. I like the AppleTV's user interface, but find the Remote app's UI is nearly as user-friendly (although it does use those little touch screen sliders for volume control, which I don't like as well as physical buttons on a remote control or keyboard.)

Last edited by TunedIn; 12-30-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: fix quotes
post #2200 of 2213 Old 01-12-2017, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi:

I'm buying my first Hi-Fi gear (for many years, I hope) and I want to hit the right choice. After many, many searchs in forums, I doubt about the following speakers: Focal aria 906 vs Focal chorus 716. Aria sounds more natural, superb quality of sound for me but the Chorus goes to an upper level of energy and punch, playing the music with more energy and presence. Both around 1k$

To complicate the question, I read about the microwalsh by Ohm (how the speaker dissappear) but it's impossible hear near my home and it's a 50% more priced than the options previously mentioned.

I will use them with Peachtree Nova 65SE (by the way, i already have it). Genres that I like (sort by frequency): rock, folk, minimal techno, jazz, classical. The room are 18-20 m2.

Thanks for your opinions!

Regards!
post #2201 of 2213 Old 01-13-2017, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishleap View Post
Hi:

I'm buying my first Hi-Fi gear (for many years, I hope) and I want to hit the right choice. After many, many searchs in forums, I doubt about the following speakers: Focal aria 906 vs Focal chorus 716. Aria sounds more natural, superb quality of sound for me but the Chorus goes to an upper level of energy and punch, playing the music with more energy and presence. Both around 1k$

To complicate the question, I read about the microwalsh by Ohm (how the speaker dissappear) but it's impossible hear near my home and it's a 50% more priced than the options previously mentioned.

I will use them with Peachtree Nova 65SE (by the way, i already have it). Genres that I like (sort by frequency): rock, folk, minimal techno, jazz, classical. The room are 18-20 m2.

Thanks for your opinions!

Regards!

Hello, I would stick to the Focals and stay clear of the Ohms unless you have a chance to listen to them yourself. Last year I was very hot on those myself but was reluctant due to their very unique design and sound. Luckily I had a professional reviewer who's opinion I trust get a pair on loan for a review. Well, he kindly decided to not publish his thoughts and sent them back to the company and of course I ended up buying something else. IMO you'll be very happy with the either Focal models being powered by the Peachtree, best of luck and try not to catch upgradeitus!
post #2202 of 2213 Old 03-14-2017, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an odd question- will the USB type 'B' input provide the 5V power that most USB ports do? I have a Decco65 on order, and will not be using the USB input. I have an old Bluetooth receiver that has a rechargeable battery that is USB powered, and was thinking it would be nice to just and plug it in to the USB port for power and forget about it. (I'm well aware of how awful bluetooth is- my wife wants to have the option)
post #2203 of 2213 Old 03-24-2017, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a NOVA150 as it ticks pretty much all my requirement but these days I'm working on a big CSA (Canadian Standards Association) project at my job. I'm in Canada.

So from that "job conditionning" I checked the pictures of the NOVA and didn't see any of the possible approval marks. CSA, c UL us, ULC...

So to those of you who have one. Is your unit approved and if yes what is the marking? It should cause it'll be illegal for peachtree to sell them into the US without the UL I guess and illegal for the importer in Canada to sell them through retailers...

Just curious as from what I've seen in some non approved machines I've worked on, there's sometimes good reasons why it should have been approved in the first time.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Julien
post #2204 of 2213 Old 03-24-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by thj17 View Post
...I'm looking to buy a NOVA150 as it ticks pretty much all my requirement but these days I'm working on a big CSA (Canadian Standards Association) project at my job. I'm in Canada. So from that "job conditionning" I checked the pictures of the NOVA and didn't see any of the possible approval marks. CSA, c UL us, ULC...
Others may chime in but UL approval is a voluntary program. I wouldn't worry about Peachtree Audio, it's a solid company. What exactly are your concerns? Worse case is that you plug it in and it catches on fire. Not very likely. I worked aircraft design for 3 decades and my job was driven by standards but that is no assurance that nothing will happen. Safety concerns about electrical equipment are justified but consumer equipment very rarely has any issues. I'm not sure about electrical equipment certification requirements but I guess a professional engineer (a certified pro engineer license holder) has to sign off on the design.

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #2205 of 2213 Old 03-24-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
Others may chime in but UL approval is a voluntary program. I wouldn't worry about Peachtree Audio, it's a solid company. What exactly are your concerns? Worse case is that you plug it in and it catches on fire. Not very likely. I worked aircraft design for 3 decades and my job was driven by standards but that is no assurance that nothing will happen. Safety concerns about electrical equipment are justified but consumer equipment very rarely has any issues. I'm not sure about electrical equipment certification requirements but I guess a professional engineer (a certified pro engineer license holder) has to sign off on the design.
OK maybe in US but in Canada it's mandatory by the local code. So basically your home insurrance could be voided if you are using something unnaproved. And, the sellers are subjected to very high fine and some time in jail in worst cases. I'm telling working with those rules for a few weeks now, Canada probably has the most severe standards regarding electrical safety.

I'm not really worried about peachtree but....it really should be approved to be sold here. This is exactly for this reason we don't have parasound anymore. They didn't want to pay for CSA inspections as their sale numbers here were not hig enough!

Anyway thanks for the infos, I didn't know UL is on voluntary basis.
post #2206 of 2213 Old 03-24-2017, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by thj17 View Post
OK maybe in US but in Canada it's mandatory by the local code...
Canada loves their regulations, eh? If you have concerns give Peachtree a call, I'm sure they will have a satisfactory answer.

Do you guys still have to go to a government store to buy booze?

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #2207 of 2213 Old 03-24-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
Canada loves their regulations, eh? If you have concerns give Peachtree a call, I'm sure they will have a satisfactory answer.

Do you guys still have to go to a government store to buy booze?
Different in each province
here in Quebec
Not for beer...
Yes for alcool and good wine
cheap and not so good wine available in grocery
post #2208 of 2213 Old 05-19-2017, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
a few questions:
Can the Nova power Sennheiser HD800 ?
what is the difference between the original Nova (with the Sonos slot), Nova 125 or Nova 300
I am trying to pair Nvidia Shield with the Nova. the nvidia shield does not have optical out, only HDMI. Looking for a simple solution
post #2209 of 2213 Old 05-20-2017, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I want to know if I can send audio from Nvidia shield through its USB port into the Nova USB port.
post #2210 of 2213 Old 05-20-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman66 View Post
I want to know if I can send audio from Nvidia shield through its USB port into the Nova USB port.
I use USB audio from my Linux nuc to the nova125 and it works great. You should ask your question in the shield thread as to whether the shield supports USB audio.
post #2211 of 2213 Old 07-02-2017, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone messed around with the new Loop function of the Nova150/300? I am interested in integrated miniDSP to Main system in the living. Any success or failures out there?

Desktop: Totem Acoustic Kin Mini, Totem Acoustic Kin Mini Sub, Peachtree Decco65

Main: Totem Acoustic Sky, Totem Acoustic Storm Sub, Peachtree Nova150
post #2212 of 2213 Old 08-11-2017, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I will hopefully be upgrading from an original Nova to a Nova150 or 300 soon, especially with the crazy deal Peachtree is offering right now with the 25% trade-in program.

Does anyone know the status of the “Optional Wi-Fi module to be announced”? (Hint hint, David Solomon, are you still reading these threads? So happy that you’re back with Peachtree!) I am debating about whether I’d need to get an Apple Airport Express for wireless streaming, now that the 4th gen Apple TV doesn’t have optical audio out. I’m using a Kanex adapter with the ATV4 and I don’t love it (random audio dropouts, occasional pops and clicks). I've heard mixed reviews on the latest (and possibly the last?) Airport Express with regard to wireless streaming through the optical out going to a high-quality DAC.

Does anyone know if the new Wi-Fi module will be Apple Airplay compatible, or will it be a proprietary system?
post #2213 of 2213 Old 10-12-2017, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peekytoe View Post
I will hopefully be upgrading from an original Nova to a Nova150 or 300 soon, especially with the crazy deal Peachtree is offering right now with the 25% trade-in program.

Does anyone know the status of the “Optional Wi-Fi module to be announced”? (Hint hint, David Solomon, are you still reading these threads? So happy that you’re back with Peachtree!) I am debating about whether I’d need to get an Apple Airport Express for wireless streaming, now that the 4th gen Apple TV doesn’t have optical audio out. I’m using a Kanex adapter with the ATV4 and I don’t love it (random audio dropouts, occasional pops and clicks). I've heard mixed reviews on the latest (and possibly the last?) Airport Express with regard to wireless streaming through the optical out going to a high-quality DAC.

Does anyone know if the new Wi-Fi module will be Apple Airplay compatible, or will it be a proprietary system?
Hi all,
New to the forum and recent Nova 150 owner. I'd also love to hear any news on the Wi-Fi module as I've not had success with my Airport Express.
When connected via mini Toslink to the Optical input on the Peachtree, I get constant dropouts. Analog works fine, but would love to keep that input free for other use - not to mention, would love to utilize the superior DAC on the Amp. I also tried the Apple TV route, but have the newer unit without the Optical out. I tried an HDMI audio extractor, but when running that Toslink to the Peachtree, am faced with the same stream of constant dropouts. All in all, current streaming options all but dead...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page