Anyone delt with "Reference Audio Mods"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 147 Old 02-21-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After almost three full months I'm at wit's end.
I'd like some PM's from anyone who's delt with Reference Audio Mod's...both the good and the bad.
I've spend a large sum of money on two heavily mod'ed Marantz 8002 blu-ray/ CD players, and have nothing to show for it...allot of empty promises.
Has anyone else had similar or better experiences?

Thanks so much, Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 Old 02-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Kenny, I've had no experience with Reference Audio Mods, but I'm curious as to the broken promises. Could you explain further?
post #3 of 147 Old 02-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have you checked at "The Asylum"?
post #4 of 147 Old 02-21-2009, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You got to be more specific as to what your concern is. I have dealt with Kyle at Reference Audio Mods(West) multiple times & he has always been responsive to my questions.

Vinod
post #5 of 147 Old 02-22-2009, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hate to go to far into it...but on Dec forth I payed over 7 grand for two max mod'ed Marantz 8002 Blu-ray players (but also for CD playback) New clocks, power supplies, and analog output sections. Here we are, almost three months later and nothing. We've sent e-mails back and forth, he's made allot of promises, and not kept one of them.
My Credit card co is looking into it, and tomorrow the BBB gets a call. (finally)
I have given him every chance to come through, and I've felt over the last month that perhaps I've been ripped off.
post #6 of 147 Old 02-22-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG View Post

I hate to go to far into it...but on Dec forth I payed over 7 grand for two max mod'ed Marantz 8002 Blu-ray players (but also for CD playback) New clocks, power supplies, and analog output sections. Here we are, almost three months later and nothing. We've sent e-mails back and forth, he's made allot of promises, and not kept one of them.
My Credit card co is looking into it, and tomorrow the BBB gets a call. (finally)
I have given him every chance to come through, and I've felt over the last month that perhaps I've been ripped off.

If his business is a corporation, you might also see if your state has a Department of Corporations. Also, getting a consumer rights local television show to call him up might work wonders. I had to do this with Advent, believe or not, to get a replacement woofer sent to me. As soon as the TV show called them, all of a sudden they found one in a back room in the warehouse.

Chance favors the prepared mind.
-Louis Pasteur
post #7 of 147 Old 02-22-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
That sucks. Sorry about the problems.

I am thinking of sending my Oppo to ASI-TEK for modifications myself. I hope I don't have the issues that you have suffered.
post #8 of 147 Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 439
How can you justify sending something out for modification if the outfit at the very least will not provide measurements pre and post?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #9 of 147 Old 02-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Not good. Have you asked for a refund and your original units returned?
post #10 of 147 Old 02-25-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4 View Post

Not good. Have you asked for a refund and your original units returned?

Actually, the players were never in my hands, they were ordered brand new from here at AVS.
Supposedly they told R.A.M. they had them in stock, then when he ordered them, (two days later) it took over one and a half months before AVS actually got them in stock! (according to Kyle at R.A.M.)
post #11 of 147 Old 03-01-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

That sucks. Sorry about the problems.

I am thinking of sending my Oppo to ASI-TEK for modifications myself. I hope I don't have the issues that you have suffered.

ASI-TEK is a seperate company!
post #12 of 147 Old 03-02-2009, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geared4me View Post

ASI-TEK is a seperate company!

Obviously.
I never said they were.
But ASI-TEK offer similiar services. Same Issues can arrise.
post #13 of 147 Old 03-03-2009, 03:08 PM

Reseller Ratings has no reviews at http://www.resellerratings.com/store...nce_Audio_Mods

Maybe you should submit these problems as a review to warn others.
post #14 of 147 Old 03-10-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Actually, the players were never in my hands, they were ordered brand new from here at AVS.
Supposedly they told R.A.M. they had them in stock, then when he ordered them, (two days later) it took over one and a half months before AVS actually got them in stock! (according to Kyle at R.A.M.)

Just give AVS a call and see if their story checks out. The issue isn't with the quality of the service but the delay.

I know how it feels... sort of...local Magnolia service department can't seem to get their act together to delivery my repaired unit to my local store for pickup!

But if their story does check out, I wouldn't put to much pressure on them...a rushed mod or repair job is not something you want to deal with after the warranty runs out.
post #15 of 147 Old 04-09-2009, 10:50 AM

Ever get any satisfaction from Reference Audio Mods? They were some good posts about them from people I trust and have done business with (e.g. Mark [markl] Lawton of Lawton Audio), but now I have the same problem as the OP.

Sent them a Pioneer DVD unit and a special capture board from Europe ... lots of money sunk in to this ... for them to mod and install. Taking so long, and no emails back after a fine start. Worrying ...

BTW, FWIW, I have had gear modded by ASI-Tek and they were a pleasure to deal with ... fast and great communications.
post #16 of 147 Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavoman View Post

Ever get any satisfaction from Reference Audio Mods? They were some good posts about them from people I trust and have done business with (e.g. Mark [markl] Lawton of Lawton Audio), but now I have the same problem as the OP.

Sent them a Pioneer DVD unit and a special capture board from Europe ... lots of money sunk in to this ... for them to mod and install. Taking so long, and no emails back after a fine start. Worrying ...

BTW, FWIW, I have had gear modded by ASI-Tek and they were a pleasure to deal with ... fast and great communications.

If you can, I'd get that Pioneer back and send it to ASI-Tek.
This has become a real nightmare, that is not over.
When I got the unit (about three weeks ago) it was DOA.
Found a blown fuse and replaced it. Unit works...HOWEVER, there were five small "dings" on the left edge of the face plate, and the back panel was all scratched up at the HDMI input.
I was promised a couple isolation transformers for my trouble, and he backed out on that. So that means he's also lied.
For this amount of money, no one should be treated like this.
The player was sent back to him yesterday, and the matter is now in the hands of my credit card company.
post #17 of 147 Old 04-23-2009, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I hate to go to far into it...but on Dec forth I payed over 7 grand for two max mod'ed Marantz 8002 Blu-ray players (but also for CD playback)

Sounds like the guy who complained the "treated" speaker cables he bought online never showed up. I wonder why scams target people who like expensive and controversial mods the most.
post #18 of 147 Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

Sounds like the guy who complained the "treated" speaker cables he bought online never showed up. I wonder why scams target people who like expensive and controversial mods the most.

I am scratching my head trying to figure out why you would even chime in to say something like that? If you don't have experience with mods, be quiet.

Or do you just like seeing your name?
post #19 of 147 Old 04-26-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

I am scratching my head trying to figure out why you would even chime in to say something like that? If you don't have experience with mods, be quiet.
Or do you just like seeing your name?

I'm also scratching my head wondering why you bothered responding to my post when I wasn't even talking to you. I do have experience with mods but that's out of context, this is a public forum, I have the right to post my opinion. Sounds like you got a personal problem with me though and if you do feel free to PM me.
post #20 of 147 Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 PM

KennyG,

Did that situation ever get staightened out ? Kyle at RAM seems like a fair minded person to deal with. I had two experiences with RAM. Both units sent to him sounded very good after receiving them back. One unit did have trouble later on ( a DVD player), but RAM fixed the problem.
Make sure any modifier or technician does neat work. There is no excuse for them to do otherwise.
There was one instance of another modifier (Aberdeen Components) who worked on a player for eight months. It was a $500.00 mod. He got mad and supposedly sold my player for $250.00. There was not much I could do, because he is out of State.

So be careful and get everything in writing before proceeding.
post #21 of 147 Old 02-28-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Actions like this never cease to amaze me.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #22 of 147 Old 02-28-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Actions like this never cease to amaze me. I am not discounting the responsibilities of the companies involved but ordering new equipment to be sent directly to a 3rd party modifier goes well beyond my levels of trust.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #23 of 147 Old 03-05-2010, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Why not just buy better equipment in the first place. Why spend $7000 to upgrade a player when you could just buy a player that is $7000 more?

I don't get modifying at all when you send a brand new toy away without hearing it in the first place. For $7000 it should be a totally new player so why even buy the Marantz in the first place. I am not trying to be sarcastic, just really confused on your thought process.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #24 of 147 Old 05-04-2010, 02:01 PM

Hello,

RAM was just recently made aware of this post. Without going into any details of the purchase and modification services... Unfortunately, RAM and Mr Gunlock were unable to finalize a transaction successfully. We do our best to communicate effectively although sometimes the seller/buyer relationship is not meant to be. We do apologize to Mr Gunlock for any inconvenience he experienced and did provide him a full refund.

Sincerely,

Reference Audio Mods
post #25 of 147 Old 05-04-2010, 02:31 PM

any "upgrade companies" like RAM and TUC are a joke

just buy better equipment instead of wasting money on this
post #26 of 147 Old 05-04-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwnbnw View Post

any "upgrade companies" like RAM and TUC are a joke

just buy better equipment instead of wasting money on this

But the Kool-Aid tastes so good!
post #27 of 147 Old 05-04-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Hopefully, Mr. Gunlock will post here confirming that a refund in full was issued and the matter was concluded successfully.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #28 of 147 Old 05-04-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Why not just buy better equipment in the first place. Why spend $7000 to upgrade a player when you could just buy a player that is $7000 more?

I don't get modifying at all when you send a brand new toy away without hearing it in the first place. For $7000 it should be a totally new player so why even buy the Marantz in the first place. I am not trying to be sarcastic, just really confused on your thought process.

What is more amazing is that they say the can upgrade even the higher end electronics. Wouldnt the Engineers working for the high end electronics company do the simple upgrades if they really mattered?

How can any upgrade cost more then the sum of all parts? Those who buy into this have to be the most gullable types around.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #29 of 147 Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

What is more amazing is that they say the can upgrade even the higher end electronics. Wouldnt the Engineers working for the high end electronics company do the simple upgrades if they really mattered?

How can any upgrade cost more then the sum of all parts? Those who buy into this have to be the most gullable types around.

This is the one that has always amazed me too.

If an Oppo BDP-83SE costs $900...

...and modding it costs $1000 ($400 parts, $400 labour, $200 profit - guesses; probably more like $200 parts, $300 labour and $500 profit)

...using the better parts by Oppo would be an incremental $375 (assuming the $400 replaced $25 in cheap parts, which again is being generous to modders)

...installing them would cost no more than installing the original parts, no increment

...everyone who bought the BDP-83SE would gladly have paid $1275 instead if it made even half of the difference the modders claim

post #30 of 147 Old 05-04-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
There is absolutely no way these "upgrade" companies can do something that the original couldn't do period. That is where the flaw exists in thinking these are actually real "improvements"

btw, you would be amazed how cheap those parts are when bought in bulk

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page