Connecting TV and 2 channel receiver - will this work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-23-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I'm a bit of a newbie and am not sure how to design/wire for my desired setup. I am buying a TV (Panasonic 50PZ85u) and putting in a 2 channel audio setup (Onkyo TX8555 receiver and some Axiom bookshelf speakers). Receiver has ample inputs. The stereo setup is primarily for music.

Generally, this TV is for my wife, who cares little about audio. So 80% of the time, we will want her to be able to turn on the TV, watch TV using the in-TV speakers, and turn it off. No dealing with a stereo receiver, no harmony remote. No need to push sound through the bookshelf speakers. Just a simple "turn on the tv, change channels, turn off the tv" using the Panasonic remote.

However, there will be occasional times when I want better sound through the stereo - watching DVDs, guys watching sports, etc.

Will the following work (I ask now because I have to have some in-wall wiring put in place):
- connect cable box and DVD player to TV via HDMI (note - we may skip the cable box and just connect cable directly to the TV via coax - haven't decided)
- send the audio signal from TV to stereo receiver either via RCA audio out or digital audio out back to the receiver
- set up TV to use its internal speakers as a default
- be able to manually change the TV settings to send audio to Onkyo receiver for the 10-20% of time we want use speakers?
- be able to use the DVD player as a CD player without the TV on if I connect the DVD player to the receiver using RCA cables?

Also, is there a big advantage in a 2 channel setting to using digital audio out vs. RCA?

Thanks in advance.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-23-2009, 05:40 PM

Yes, and yes, I think.

I'm doing 2 channel via RCA cables myself, through an old preamp, and it sounds great. I imagine it would only sound better with a digital link.

Check your cable box preferences, if you go that route, to be sure the sound is set to 'wide'.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-23-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I would recommend getting and using a hd cablebox for hd and audio use.

Connecting the cablebox and dvd player to a new surround receiver via hdmi and using a splitter before the cablebox and sending the other rf directly to the tv will accomplish everything you want without having to go into the menu of the tv.

For the dvd and cablebox, the tv will only have to be on 1 input for operation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

it's another $20-25 a month to comcast to add a box when we already are paying for 2 elsewhere in the house, which is why we're resistant to renting another box.

so if we don't get another cable box and i'm connecting coax from the wall straight to the television and i'm connecting a DVD player via HDMI, is running the RCAs back to the stereo receiver going to do what I want?
post #5 of 8 Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
yes, but you will have to get into the tv menu to switch the audio output for your needs. either tv or receiver.

or just keep the receiver on at all times and keep the tv audio set for the receiver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I don't mind having to navigate the TV menu's for the handful of times where we'll want sound out of the stereo speakers. I just wanted to make sure it would work and that I wouldn't get these cables in the walls to find out it didn't work.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-24-2009, 08:00 AM

I think it's simpler; at least here it is. If I don't turn on my stereo gear, I use the TV speakers. When I turn on the stereo stuff, and choose the input the TV is on, I turn down the volume on the TV speakers.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-25-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 101
It's just that easy, isn't it?

I have a similar setup for the BR. When I want 'just' tv the receiver stays off, when I want quality sound, I turn on the receiver and turn the tv volume all the way down. As the receiver isn't connected to the tv, its connected directly to the satellite receiver, it isn't dependent on the tv for sound. I can listen to music with the tv off.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page