Stereo Pre-amp with HT Bypass? Do they exist? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 186 Old 04-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Member
 
slybasil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to throw this out there....Wyed4sound as a new preamp out. Its new and havnt heard much on it yet.
slybasil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 186 Old 04-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Sanlanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Columbia, SC area
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybasil View Post

Just to throw this out there....Wyed4sound as a new preamp out. Its new and havnt heard much on it yet.

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/s..._groupid=17873

Hmmm...... Sounds promising, although $1,800.00 was more than I was hoping to spend. Apparently they can do some degree of customization too. I would be really interested in any reports from early adopters.
Sanlanman is offline  
post #93 of 186 Old 04-08-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlanman View Post

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/s..._groupid=17873

Hmmm...... Sounds promising, although $1,800.00 was more than I was hoping to spend. Apparently they can do some degree of customization too. I would be really interested in any reports from early adopters.

Their amps are great, so I'd love to hear their pre.

If I had the money I'd get a Parasound P7 and call it a day, but I'll likely just get the 2100. It's a superb sounding preamp for the price. Just out of curiosity, though, has anyone compared it to the Emotiva RSP-2?

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #94 of 186 Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Sanlanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Columbia, SC area
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It turns out that the Wyred for Sound STP preamp is getting talk in the W4S amp thread in the Amps, recievers, and processors board. A couple of people have just received theirs. Go Here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16227013

Could be what I am looking for.

Nuance, does the Emotiva RSP-2 unit have HT pass through?
Sanlanman is offline  
post #95 of 186 Old 04-08-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlanman View Post

It turns out that the Wyred for Sound STP preamp is getting talk in the W4S amp thread in the Amps, recievers, and processors board. A couple of people have just received theirs. Go Here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16227013

Could be what I am looking for.

Nuance, does the Emotiva RSP-2 unit have HT pass through?

Thanks for the link. I will go read it now.

No, the Emotiva does not have HT bypass. I was just curious to find out what the comparison was between the two based on sound quality.

Edit: That Wyred4sound unit is quite amazing. It's not in my price range, but I bet it's just awesome!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #96 of 186 Old 04-08-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Their amps are great, so I'd love to hear their pre.

If I had the money I'd get a Parasound P7 and call it a day, but I'll likely just get the 2100. It's a superb sounding preamp for the price. Just out of curiosity, though, has anyone compared it to the Emotiva RSP-2?

Nuance,

Here is a review of the 2100, a comparison to the Emotiva RSP-1 is mentioned. Not sure of the difference between the RSP-1 and the RSP-2.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/ampli...er-review.html

Here is another review of the 2100.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin..._2100_2125.htm

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #97 of 186 Old 04-09-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thanks for the links. I've read those, and they both seem positive. The Emotiva doesn't have HT bypass, so that pretty much made up my mind. I went with the Parasound 2100. Sweet!

Now the amplifier hunt re-starts.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #98 of 186 Old 04-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Member
 
n2siast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Henry County, GA
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me preface by saying I do not know the seller. On the flea bay there's an Arcam Alpha 9c preamp with HT bypass and optional phono stage for sale. I own this preamp and I've been very pleased.
n2siast is offline  
post #99 of 186 Old 04-10-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrlittlejeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: the area formerly known as Black Forest
Posts: 4,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 192
nuance - i'm using a paraound halo a21 and it's working out very well for me. Great amp for the price.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

mrlittlejeans is offline  
post #100 of 186 Old 04-10-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thank you sir! I've pretty much settled on Parasound for my amplifier duties. Hopefully I'll own one very soon.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

 

 

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #101 of 186 Old 04-10-2009, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Generally speaking, Parasound gear is pretty hard to beat. I've had a Parasound HCA2205A for most of this decade and its a very good amp.
And a list price of $600 for the 2100 isn't out of line. Probably get it for less, as many audio/HT shops are hurting right now.

My son and I were in a local HT shop yesterday, to check out their sound system as he had never been in there. The sales guy was telling me it was really slow. Which was quite easy to see, just looking out the window at how many stores in that shopping plaza had gone out of business.

But getting back to the SQ/price of Parasound gear its hard to beat compared, for instances, to that HT shop's system that uses Anthem gear. The sound was very good, despite a less than optimal room, way to narrow, imo. But those Anthem pre/pros are around $5k, if I remember right. Not convinced I'd spend that kind of cash, even if I had it.

I just did a local search for Parasound, used to be two dealers around here, now there's zero, closest is in Sac, CA or in LV for this state. Unfortunate sign of the times.
4DHD is offline  
post #102 of 186 Old 04-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Member
 
batagy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hungary
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there folks,

This might be a little off topic, but I feel this could have some relation also to the topic.
What do you think about a solution when someone would use a separate Stereo integrated amplifier for the music, and a multichannel receiver for the HT, and using the same pair of front speakers.
So I speak about similar as in this thread, but I mean, at one time, either only the Stereo amp OR only the HT receiver drives the speakers, and not the case when the HT receiver is also involved in the Stereo case.

Does someone use that setup? What do you think about this setup?
Of course that must have an "amplifier selector" instead of a "speaker selector". Does anybody have any comment about such an equipment?

Thanks!
batagy is offline  
post #103 of 186 Old 04-11-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by batagy View Post

Hi there folks,

This might be a little off topic, but I feel this could have some relation also to the topic.
What do you think about a solution when someone would use a separate Stereo integrated amplifier for the music, and a multichannel receiver for the HT, and using the same pair of front speakers.
So I speak about similar as in this thread, but I mean, at one time, either only the Stereo amp OR only the HT receiver drives the speakers, and not the case when the HT receiver is also involved in the Stereo case.

Does someone use that setup? What do you think about this setup?
Of course that must have an "amplifier selector" instead of a "speaker selector". Does anybody have any comment about such an equipment?

Thanks!

Actually, that's what I have now. I use a HK AVR/Parasound MC amp for the HT. Plus I use HK Citation pre-amp/power amp combo for the TT setup. Both use the same L/R speakers and subs.
The subs are always connected to both; coax to the AVR and speaker wire to the stereo amp. So its just a matter of flipping the LFE/normal switches on the subs.

But the main L/R speakers I just change out the speaker wires. For the stereo setup, I have jumper wires running from the subs to the mains, which are mounted to the tops of the subs.
Its really an easy change, as all wires have banana plugs.
4DHD is offline  
post #104 of 186 Old 04-12-2009, 06:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Rinkledorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zanesville Ohio
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Thanks for the link. I will go read it now.

No, the Emotiva does not have HT bypass.

On the Emotiva website, it stated that the RSP-2 has an External Processor Loop. Isn't that the same as HT bypass?
Rinkledorf is offline  
post #105 of 186 Old 04-12-2009, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,399
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkledorf View Post

On the Emotiva website, it stated that the RSP-2 has an External Processor Loop. Isn't that the same as HT bypass?

No. The loop is still subject to the VC.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #106 of 186 Old 04-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Rinkledorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zanesville Ohio
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

No. The loop is still subject to the VC.

Too bad. Still, for the price it seems to be a fairly decent pre.
Rinkledorf is offline  
post #107 of 186 Old 04-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Sanlanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Columbia, SC area
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is at least one or two pictures of the STP preamp by W4S in the W4S amp thread in the amp/receivers/processors board.
Sanlanman is offline  
post #108 of 186 Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Member
 
Daniel M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

There are quite a few preamps available that have HT Bypass. I have owned the Proceed Pre, PS Audio PCA-2, Rogue Perseus and now have the Bel Canto PRe3. I have a Onkyo 805 (as a prepro), PRe3 and a NHT Power5 with Ascend Sierra-1 speakers. I feel using a receiver for HT duty and a 2 CH preamp with HT Bypass gives you the best of both worlds.

I believe the Parasound P3 does not have HT Bypass. The 2100 is a great preamp and can be found on Audiogon from $350-400. Several members here have the 2100 and are very happy with it. The 2100 also has the added feature of a subwoofer out with adjustable crossover and a phono input. These two features are not commonly found on all preamps especially the sub out feature which is very rare.

Bill

Newbie here. Does anyone happen to know if it's is possible to bi-amp speakers while using a HT bypass 2-channel pre-amp? I have an onkyo 805 and an external 5 channel amplifier (Rotel RMB 1095). I have my front speakers bi-amped (I use 4 channels on the Rotel to amplify the front speakers, a single channel on the Rotel to amplify the center channel and use the Onkyo to power the surround speakers). I'm interested in adding a 2-channel pre-amp (such as the parasound 2100 or a used classe) to the system to improve the quality of my 2-channel sound but would like to continue to bi-amp my speakers if possible. Thanks for any thoughts!
Daniel M is offline  
post #109 of 186 Old 04-28-2009, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
penngray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M View Post

Newbie here. Does anyone happen to know if it's is possible to bi-amp speakers while using a HT bypass 2-channel pre-amp? I have an onkyo 805 and an external 5 channel amplifier (Rotel RMB 1095). I have my front speakers bi-amped (I use 4 channels on the Rotel to amplify the front speakers, a single channel on the Rotel to amplify the center channel and use the Onkyo to power the surround speakers). I'm interested in adding a 2-channel pre-amp (such as the parasound 2100 or a used classe) to the system to improve the quality of my 2-channel sound but would like to continue to bi-amp my speakers if possible. Thanks for any thoughts!


Just an opinion but bi-amping is worthless in your situation and I have $$$ for you if you can actually prove it remotely makes a difference through measurements

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
penngray is offline  
post #110 of 186 Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Member
 
Daniel M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Just an opinion but bi-amping is worthless in your situation and I have $$$ for you if you can actually prove it remotely makes a difference through measurements

On the off-off-off chance that bi-amping does work, anyone know of a 2 channel pre-amp w/ ht bypass that allows for bi-amping?
Daniel M is offline  
post #111 of 186 Old 04-29-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,399
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M View Post

On the off-off-off chance that bi-amping does work, anyone know of a 2 channel pre-amp w/ ht bypass that allows for bi-amping?

Any one that you can hang a Y-cable on.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #112 of 186 Old 04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
twitch54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SE Pa
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Any one that you can hang a Y-cable on.

As well as several ARC pieces (LS-26, Ref 3 to name but a couple)
twitch54 is offline  
post #113 of 186 Old 04-29-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mozvz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Northeastern PA
Posts: 1,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M View Post

On the off-off-off chance that bi-amping does work, anyone know of a 2 channel pre-amp w/ ht bypass that allows for bi-amping?

Kal and Twitch are spot on with the "Y" cable and the ARC product line. I also would agree with Penn on his bi-amping comment, but best to try it and test for yourself. Any line stage that has one (Use "Y" splitter) or two active outputs would also provide the ability to bi-amp any speaker. Two that I have experience with are Conrad Johnson Act 2 and Pass XP 20. There are quite a few.

"Man plans, God laughs"
Mozvz is offline  
post #114 of 186 Old 04-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Member
 
Daniel M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

Kal and Twitch are spot on with the "Y" cable and the ARC product line. I also would agree with Penn on his bi-amping comment, but best to try it and test for yourself. Any line stage that has one (Use "Y" splitter) or two active outputs would also provide the ability to bi-amp any speaker. Two that I have experience with are Conrad Johnson Act 2 and Pass XP 20. There are quite a few.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Daniel M is offline  
post #115 of 186 Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kate*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!


Is it ONLY ME or is the Parasound 2100 brighter than Marantz and Rotel? Well Marantz being the warmest...

Is it ok to judge that using a brighter sounding pre amp with brighter sound speaker is not good?

thsnk you!

Listening is the best experience.
kate* is offline  
post #116 of 186 Old 05-27-2009, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate* View Post

Hi!


Is it ONLY ME or is the Parasound 2100 brighter than Marantz and Rotel? Well Marantz being the warmest...

Is it ok to judge that using a brighter sounding pre amp with brighter sound speaker is not good?

thsnk you!

I don't have the 2100, but I don't find my Parasound power amp to be bright at all. And I'd say its close to the HK and Marantz receivers I have. I'd like to hear the 2100 to find out how it compares.
4DHD is offline  
post #117 of 186 Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kate*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4DHD,

Hi... No I mean the Pre-amp 2100


Listening is the best experience.
kate* is offline  
post #118 of 186 Old 05-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Member
 
ricochet315's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Plinius 9200 Integrated Amp
ricochet315 is offline  
post #119 of 186 Old 05-28-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate* View Post

4DHD,

Hi... No I mean the Pre-amp 2100


Yes, I know what you mean, I've readup on it, and would like to have one, based on the performance of my Parasound 2205 THX amp.
4DHD is offline  
post #120 of 186 Old 05-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Chicagorep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Round Lake, IL
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm listening to Totem Sttafs that are being fed through a 2100 and a 275 amp right now. Very sweet combo at a very affordable price.
Chicagorep is offline  
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off