Stereo Pre-amp with HT Bypass? Do they exist? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 186 Old 03-07-2009, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

I am doing a research about stereo audio, and I dont want to build a dedicated system to listen to stereo, so I would like to know which pre-amps that have HT Bypass.

My current budget is around U$800 - U$1000, I would prefer Rotel but I am pretty sure they do not have the HT Bypass.

I have looked for the Parasound T3, and also there is no indication of a possible HT bypass.

Can anyone help me find a suitable equipment?

Thank you!

Listening is the best experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 186 Old 03-08-2009, 07:27 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hi Kate! Enough folks want to do exactly what you're proposing and your question is asked often enough that you'll find a list of 2ch preamps which offer HT bypass in the amps thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...019640&page=51 posts 1514-1518.
post #3 of 186 Old 03-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have not seen this feature in preamps close to your budget but that does not mean that they don't exist. Here's one from Musical Fidelity around $3K.
post #4 of 186 Old 03-08-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysay View Post

I have not seen this feature in preamps close to your budget but that does not mean that they don't exist. Here's one from Musical Fidelity around $3K.

How about this?
http://www.parasound.com/nc/2100.php $600.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5 of 186 Old 03-08-2009, 08:55 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

You beat me to it, Kal.

Next closest, IIRC, would be a used Rogue Perseus (tubes), which sell on A-gon for $900-1100.
post #6 of 186 Old 03-08-2009, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Hi Kate! Enough folks want to do exactly what you're proposing and your question is asked often enough that you'll find a list of 2ch preamps which offer HT bypass in the amps thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...019640&page=51 posts 1514-1518.

Ill take a look in that link! thank yoU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysay View Post

Oh! nice, a bit too much for my neeed, and also it is an integrated I just wanted a pre-amp, but VERY nice! thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

How about this?
http://www.parasound.com/nc/2100.php $600.

I am starting to fall in love with Parasound, they have cute gadgets, I honestly like the T3, even tho I do not know the prices, and also I need to know if they have ht bypass

The 2100 is equally nice! Thank you for your tip!

post #7 of 186 Old 03-08-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 397
There are quite a few preamps available that have HT Bypass. I have owned the Proceed Pre, PS Audio PCA-2, Rogue Perseus and now have the Bel Canto PRe3. I have a Onkyo 805 (as a prepro), PRe3 and a NHT Power5 with Ascend Sierra-1 speakers. I feel using a receiver for HT duty and a 2 CH preamp with HT Bypass gives you the best of both worlds.

I believe the Parasound P3 does not have HT Bypass. The 2100 is a great preamp and can be found on Audiogon from $350-400. Several members here have the 2100 and are very happy with it. The 2100 also has the added feature of a subwoofer out with adjustable crossover and a phono input. These two features are not commonly found on all preamps especially the sub out feature which is very rare.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #8 of 186 Old 03-08-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Another possible candidate that I just discovered, thanks to ssabripo is the Pass DIY preamp. I'm not sure how well that would fit the bill, but it's interesting nonetheless.

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/B1%20Buffer%20Preamp.pdf
http://www.passdiy.com/order.htm

post #9 of 186 Old 03-08-2009, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat View Post

Another possible candidate that I just discovered, thanks to ssabripo is the Pass DIY preamp. I'm not sure how well that would fit the bill, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Irrelevant to this discussion but cute.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #10 of 186 Old 03-08-2009, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

There are quite a few preamps available that have HT Bypass. I have owned the Proceed Pre, PS Audio PCA-2, Rogue Perseus and now have the Bel Canto PRe3. I have a Onkyo 805 (as a prepro), PRe3 and a NHT Power5 with Ascend Sierra-1 speakers. I feel using a receiver for HT duty and a 2 CH preamp with HT Bypass gives you the best of both worlds.

I believe the Parasound P3 does not have HT Bypass. The 2100 is a great preamp and can be found on Audiogon from $350-400. Several members here have the 2100 and are very happy with it. The 2100 also has the added feature of a subwoofer out with adjustable crossover and a phono input. These two features are not commonly found on all preamps especially the sub out feature which is very rare.

Bill

Yes the 2100 is very nice! I will surely take a look!

I also saw in the Parasound website the P7, it also has HT Bypass, but it seems to be a lot more expensive, even tho I do not know the prices, just by judging the looks I would say it is pretty expensive!

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat View Post

Strange... And different!
Thank you for the help!

post #11 of 186 Old 03-09-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate* View Post

I also saw in the Parasound website the P7, it also has HT Bypass, but it seems to be a lot more expensive, even tho I do not know the prices, just by judging the looks I would say it is pretty expensive!

The P7 lists for $1995.00.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #12 of 186 Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 AM

McCormack MAP1 is a very good candidate. Great pre with HT bypass Agon listing at $1100 so kind of in your budget. Good luck
post #13 of 186 Old 03-09-2009, 08:37 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsel View Post

McCormack MAP1 is a very good candidate. Great pre with HT bypass Agon listing at $1100 so kind of in your budget. Good luck

MAP 1 is multi-channel and not 2ch w/HT bypass as the OP is seeking.
post #14 of 186 Old 03-09-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A used Sony XA-P9000ES would be a good catch.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #15 of 186 Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

Yes the 2100 is very nice! I will surely take a look!

The P7 is a 7.1 channel amp but can be used as a 2 or 2.1 channel as well. This product would have sold much better years ago before HDMI took off, for MCH surround formats.

The Hun
post #16 of 186 Old 03-09-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The P7 lists for $1995.00.

Bill

OUCH! too much! I better forget about the CUTE p7!

Quote:

I have heard of the McCormack brand before, never heard anything from them, $1100 would not be VERY bad... Thank You for the Tip

Quote:

THank you!

Quote:

A used Sony XA-P9000ES would be a good catch.

I will take a look for sure, even tho I find it very complicated for a beginner to buy used stuff, IMO a little bit of knowledge is needed for that, which I have none!

But I will certainly take a look!

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

The P7 is a 7.1 channel amp but can be used as a 2 or 2.1 channel as well. This product would have sold much better years ago before HDMI took off, for MCH surround formats.

The P7 is very nice looking so is the P3... Its a pitty P3 doenst have HT bypass!

However if the P7 is almost 2k USD its too much for my poor lil purse!

Thank you!

post #17 of 186 Old 03-09-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Kate,

as Bill mentioned I am one of the owners of the parasound 2100 and love it so far. It replaced a Proceed Pre(which Bill also owned, and we both have ascend sierras too. My impressions so far are that its a very neutral, clean, and very detailed sounding preamp. I specifically wanted HT bypass and the sub output and both work great in my setup! For the money, it would be hard to beat especially with all its features. I also owned a Halo P3 and it did not work with my current proceed amp for some reason(mismatch of input/output voltage or something and no HT bypass of course)?

If the 2100 interests you, PM me for details on how to snag one for a good price through an authorized dealer.

check out this thread, look for posts by me and nuance, he heard my setup with the 2100.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=2100&page=58

Good luck,
Brandon
post #18 of 186 Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, the Parasound 2100 seems to fit your purse and your needs. The McCormack is $1100 used, not new, so it is not any easier than the Sony which should be a fair bit less. They are not identical but you can read about here:
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpreamps/700/
http://www.stereophile.com/musicintheround/926/

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #19 of 186 Old 03-09-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Sorry Kate, he's right non the less a great pre for the money good for two channel as well.
post #20 of 186 Old 03-09-2009, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Kate,

as Bill mentioned I am one of the owners of the parasound 2100 and love it so far. It replaced a Proceed Pre(which Bill also owned, and we both have ascend sierras too. My impressions so far are that its a very neutral, clean, and very detailed sounding preamp. I specifically wanted HT bypass and the sub output and both work great in my setup! For the money, it would be hard to beat especially with all its features. I also owned a Halo P3 and it did not work with my current proceed amp for some reason(mismatch of input/output voltage or something and no HT bypass of course)?

If the 2100 interests you, PM me for details on how to snag one for a good price through an authorized dealer.

check out this thread, look for posts by me and nuance, he heard my setup with the 2100.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=2100&page=58

Good luck,
Brandon

Nice I will PM you! Yes the HT-Bypass would be a great great feature, maybe the most important feature of all!

Ideally, I know that having a full separate setup but that would increase the costs a lot more!

Thank you!

Quote:

Well, the Parasound 2100 seems to fit your purse and your needs. The McCormack is $1100 used, not new, so it is not any easier than the Sony which should be a fair bit less. They are not identical but you can read about here:
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpreamps/700/
http://www.stereophile.com/musicintheround/926/

Yes it does, the Parasound is a good idea I will surely try to listen to it!

I wouldnt mind buying it used, one thing that worries me tho, is that for buying used equipments I lack the necessary experience. Not a long ago someone was selling a Jeff Rowland amp and I didnt want to buy because I didnt know how to test it to see if it is fully functional.

Well, I bought the RB-993 THX, and it is used, but the person who sold it to me is a friend since we where kids, so I trusted him and his judgements!

I think I did a good deal, and also I only use the RB-993 for center and surround speakers, so yes I am happy...

Thank you very much!

Quote:

Sorry Kate, he's right non the less a great pre for the money good for two channel as well.

Must be nice indeed.

Thank you!

post #21 of 186 Old 03-10-2009, 05:11 PM

Hi Kate, if used is ok and tubes are ok, take a look at the VTL 2.5. Sound is fantastic, and has HT bypass. Can be found on audiogon usually between $750 to $1200, depending on how proud the seeler is. Usually around $800.
post #22 of 186 Old 03-10-2009, 09:57 PM

The Classé CP-50 and CP-60 both have HT bypass and can be found on Audiogon in the $900 -$1,200 range.

post #23 of 186 Old 03-11-2009, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceo23 View Post

Hi Kate, if used is ok and tubes are ok, take a look at the VTL 2.5. Sound is fantastic, and has HT bypass. Can be found on audiogon usually between $750 to $1200, depending on how proud the seeler is. Usually around $800.

Hmmm, never thought about tubes.. Actually I only heard to tubes once, I will try to go to a store and listen to tube 1st then think about it!

Thank you for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen B View Post

The Classé CP-50 and CP-60 both have HT bypass and can be found on Audiogon in the $900 -$1,200 range.

Oh! Classé... The problem, is I am a new-comer, so since I lack the experience, I prefer not to buy used... The way I see we need more experience to properly evaluate an used equipment!

Thank you!

post #24 of 186 Old 03-12-2009, 10:48 AM

You don't need "experience" to evaluate used equipment from a manufacturer like Classé. Their equipment has high quality parts and is built to last a lifetime. The same could said about manufacturers like McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Krell, Bryston, etc. Preamps are less likely to have operational problems versus amps and CD/DVD players. A preamp that is in very good cosmetic condition and has no missing or damaged buttons or jacks should work just fine. IMHO, a used CP-50/CP-60 is likely to be sonically superior to a couple of the other alternatives mentioned, and I think you would be remiss in not giving one serious consideration. The CP-60 and CP-50 are former TOTL and next-to-TOTL models respectively.

post #25 of 186 Old 03-12-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You don't need "experience" to evaluate used equipment from a manufacturer like Classé. Their equipment has high quality parts and is built to last a lifetime. The same could said about manufacturers like McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Krell, Bryston, etc. Preamps are less likely to have operational problems versus amps and CD/DVD players. A preamp that is in very good cosmetic condition and has no missing or damaged buttons or jacks should work just fine. IMHO, a used CP-50/CP-60 is likely to be sonically superior to a couple of the other alternatives mentioned, and I think you would be remiss in not giving one serious consideration. The CP-60 and CP-50 are former TOTL and next-to-TOTL models respectively.

I agree with what Glen is saying. I have bought all my 2 CH preamps from Audiogon. No issues at all and was able to sell each for close to or the same as I paid for them. When buying on Audiogon you should always try to deal with established members with positive feedback. I use Paypal and will not send a money orders.

Glen, By the way what is TOTL?

Bill

post #26 of 186 Old 03-12-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well ok, I will take a look at audiogon, and see if I can chat with the vendor first, however I pretty insecure about buying used, because we never know if they opened and changed something inside....

Thank you for the tip!

Quote:

I agree with what Glen is saying. I have bought all my 2 CH preamps from Audiogon. No issues at all and was able to sell each for close to or the same as I paid for them. When buying on Audiogon you should always try to deal with established members with positive feedback. I use Paypal and will not send a money orders.

Glen, By the way what is TOTL?

Bill

Ok Thank You!

TOTL should be top of the line!

post #27 of 186 Old 03-12-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

TOTL should be top of the line!

That makes sense.

A few additional thoughts if you are looking at 2 CH preamps with HT Bypass to integrate into your HT system. That is to make sure the preamp you are looking at has a remote power on/off feature. Also that if you are using a universal remote (I have a Harmony 688) that it will be able to switch to the HT Bypass input when using your system for HT. Then if you are using your system for only 2 CH listening that it goes to the proper input on the preamp.

I found the above features to be very important as my family uses the system as well and it is a must that everything works well. If it does not it makes use of my system difficult. I will never go back to using multiple remotes. Having a remote like the Harmony makes using systems with multiple components with many different inputs (configurations) so much easier.

Bill

post #28 of 186 Old 03-12-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:

Well ok, I will take a look at audiogon, and see if I can chat with the vendor first, however I pretty insecure about buying used, because we never know if they opened and changed something inside...

Once in a while you will come across someone who has done parts upgrades, but they will usually disclose this in their advertisement for sale. I concur with what Bill said about doing business only with someone who has good feedback. Use plain common sense and you should have no problem. If a deal seems too good to be true or you get a bad feeling about it, just follow your instincts and don't go through with it.

post #29 of 186 Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 AM

Here you go

# Abrahamsen Audio PA-1
# Abrahamsen Audio V3.0 Abrahamsen Audio v3.0
# Adcom GFP 750 Adcom GFP 750
# Advantage S2 Advantage S2
# Arcam Alpha 9C Arcam Alpha 9C
# Arcam FMJ C30 Arcam FMJ C30
# Arcam FMJ C31 Arcam FMJ c31
# Atoll PR300 Atoll PR300
# Audio Analogue Bellini Audio Analogue Bellini
# Audio Analogue Maestro Stereo Line Preamplifier Audio Analogue Maestro Stereo Line Preamplifier
# Audio Research SP16L Audio Research SP16L
# Ayre K-5xe Ayre K-5xe
# bel canto PRe1 bel canto PRe1
# Cambridge Audio Azur 840E Cambridge Audio Azur 840E
# Cary Audio cpa 1 Cary Audio CPA 1
# Cary Audio SLP-2002 Cary Audio SLP-2002
# Cary Audio SLP-5 Cary Audio SLP-5
# Chapter Audio Preface Chapter Audio Preface
# Classè CP65 Class CP65
# Classè CP-500 Class CP-500
# Classè CP-700 Class CP-700
# Conrad Johnson CT5 Conrad Johnson CT5
# Conrad Johnson CT6 Conrad Johnson CT6
# Conrad Johnson Premier 18LS Conrad Johnson Premier 18LS
# Conrad Johnson PV14L Conrad Johnson PV14L
# Conrad Johnson PV15 Conrad Johnson PV15
# Densen B-200 Dense B-200
# Densen B-230 Dense B-230
# Densen B-250 Dense B-250
# GamuT D3 Gamut D3
# GamuT D3i Gamut D3i
# Jeff Rowland Capri Preamplifier Jeff Rowland Capri Preamplifier
# Jeff Rowland Coherence II Jeff Rowland Coherence II
# Jeff Rowland Concerto Preamplifier Jeff Rowland Concerto Preamplifier
# Jeff Rowland Synergy IIi Jeff Rowland Synergy IIi
# Krell KCT Krell KCT
# Krell Evolution two Krell Evolution two
# Krell Evolution 202 Krell Evolution 202
# Krell Evolution 222 Krell Evolution 222
# Krell KAV-250p Krell Kav-250p
# Krell KPS-25SC (inkl. CD-spiller) Krell KPS-25SC (includes CD-player)
# Krell KRC 3 Krell KRC 3
# Krell KRC-HR Krell KRC-HR
# Linn Klimax Kontrol Linn climax control
# Linn Kolektor Linn Kolektor
# Mark Levinson N° 32 Mark Levinson N ° 32
# Mark Levinson N° 320 Mark Levinson N ° 320
# Mark Levinson N° 320S Mark Levinson N ° 320s
# Mark Levinson N° 326S Mark Levinson N ° 326S
# Mark Levinson N° 38 Mark Levinson N ° 38
# Mark Levinson N° 380 Mark Levinson N ° 380
# Mark Levinson N° 380S Mark Levinson N ° 380S
# McCormack RLD-1 McCormack RLD-1
# Micromega PA-20 Micro Mega PA-20
# Musical Fiodelity A1 FBP Musical Fiodelity A1 FBP
# Musical Fidelity A5cr Premplifier Musical Fidelity A5cr Premplifier
# Musical Fidelity kW Tube (6112) Line Preamplifier Musical Fidelity kW Tube (6112) Line Preamplifier
# Naim NAC 112x Naim NAC 112x
# Naim NAC 122x Naim NAC 122x
# Naim NAC 202 Naim NAC 202
# Naim NAC 252 Naim NAC 252
# Naim NAC 282 Naim NAC 282
# Naim NAC 552 Naim NAC 552
# Parasound Halo P7 Para Sound Halo P7
# Parasound NewClassic Model 2100 (Æresmedlem) Para Sound NewClassic Model 2100 (honorary member)
# Primare PRE30 PreAmplifier Primare PRE30 PreAmplifier
# PS Audio PCA-2 PS Audio PCA-2
# Rouge Audio Perseus Rouge Audio Perseus
# Sim Audio MOON P-3 Sim Audio MOON P-3
# Sim Audio MOON P-5 Sim Audio MOON P-5
# Sim Audio MOON P-7 Sim Audio MOON P-7
# Sim Audio MOON P-8 Sim Audio MOON P-8
# Supratek Chardonnay Supratek Chardonnay
# VTL TL-2.5 VTL TL-2.5
# VTL TL-5.5 VTL TL-5.5
# VTL TL-6.5 VTL TL-6.5
# VTL TL-7.5 VTL TL-7.5
# Yba Passion 400 PRE Yba Passion 400 PRE
# Yba Passion 600 PRE Yba Passion 600 PRE
# Yba Passion 1000 PRE Yba Passion 1000 PRE
post #30 of 186 Old 03-16-2009, 07:47 PM

Hope it is not inappropriate for a manufacturer to add another preamplifier to the list with an optional home theatre bypass. If so, I apologize and remove the post. All SAS Audio Labs 2 channel preamplifiers have optional home theatre bypass, although no remote. One can just flip the switch and either leave the preamp on or turn off.

Cheers,
Steve
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page