Onkyo A-5VL Stereo Amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if this is the start of a "refresh" for the Onkyo 2-channel amps (A-9555, etc)?

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39...9301484,00.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It's the replacement for V-A1VL which is the minimalist lifestyle version of their class d amp range. Looking at the front plate, it now looks like they compressed either the A9555 or A9755 in a smaller chassis. Not bad actually, I'd be interested in getting one.
post #3 of 60 Old 03-13-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

The C-S5VL CD/SACD player looks interesting as well, I guess I'll hold off my purchase of the Arcam CD17 until I get a chance to compare them both.
post #4 of 60 Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Seems quite interesting might consider it purchasing in future
[IMG]http://www.********************/pics/6/7.gif[/IMG]
post #5 of 60 Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

One thing that's curious about the model number: A-5VL. Could this be the 5th generation VL (vector linear) for Onkyo? The A-9555 was listed as its 4th generation VL.
post #6 of 60 Old 04-23-2009, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

5th gen? I'd be interested to see what improved. Hopefully damping factor...
post #7 of 60 Old 06-24-2009, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

This is now on Amazon for pre-order. Only 40 W/ch however, but has a DAC.
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-5VL-Inte...5871548&sr=1-3
post #8 of 60 Old 06-28-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, this one actually is perfect for my office since I just stream everything from my PC. It's like a hybrid between SA-XR57 and the A9355. If anything it's like an alternative to the upcoming NAD M2 direct digital integrated amp. Now I just need to wait until the prices went down... here's a cheaper one:

http://www.jr.com/onkyo/pe/ONK_A5VL/
post #9 of 60 Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I had the A9555 and really liked it, but it was just way too big for a bedroom setup. So, this looks like a great alternative. The digital input is a nice addition as well.

Brad
post #10 of 60 Old 06-29-2009, 02:11 PM

Liked: 12
look great for a desktop system, is there a more powerful version (simailar to the A9755) along the pipe?

I see the atoms free and fine,

That bubble like a sparkling wine;
I see the songs Electrons sing,
Jumping from ring to outer ring;
              - Lister, The Physicist
post #11 of 60 Old 06-30-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwong View Post

look great for a desktop system, is there a more powerful version (simailar to the A9755) along the pipe?

The A9755 is ultra heavy due to the massive power supplies. Kinda defeats the purpose of this slim model. My question is how much better sounding is it compared to the TX-L55. That one is a full slim class d but non-VL receiver.
post #12 of 60 Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking this may be the first in a new line for Onkyo, but I haven't seen anything else come out.

I'm interested in the A-9555, but would wait for it's successor if the specs got better.

It's also interesting to see that the online price for the A-9555 has gone up close to list (~$700), when it had been selling at $450 for months. It's either very popular or getting scarce.
post #13 of 60 Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad I got the A-9755 at $730. Yea the A9555 was below $500 but it's way higher now everywhere in the world.
post #14 of 60 Old 07-01-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

I'm glad I got the A-9755 at $730. Yea the A9555 was below $500 but it's way higher now everywhere in the world.

Too bad the A97555 wasn't available in the US. I would love to get my hands on it, but I'm satisfied with my a9555 for now. I'm wondering if Onkyo is coming out with an update to the DX-7555 and A9555 this year.
post #15 of 60 Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was thinking this would be a nice headphone amp/dac combo for some HD-650 headphones. what does everyone think of this idea?

My Home Theater
post #16 of 60 Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

I was thinking this would be a nice headphone amp/dac combo for some HD-650 headphones. what does everyone think of this idea?

I'm using my TX-L55 for that very purpose and the TX-5VL is going to be replacing that. So why not?
post #17 of 60 Old 07-31-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Btw, it seems that JR has started shipping these. Have anyone heard one and was able to make a comparison with the A9555?
post #18 of 60 Old 08-30-2009, 06:35 AM

I am very interested in this piece.

Has anyone bought this or heard it ?

I would especially be interested in the on-board DAC quality as I am looking to buy and integrated amp with DAC and the pickings on the market is very slim at the moment.

I also notice that it has a motor driven volume control. I would be very curious as to how sensitive that is to minor variatons in volume level. I do 90% of my listening at low levels and the ability to have precise control over volume is very important to me.
post #19 of 60 Old 08-30-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwilson1 View Post

I also notice that it has a motor driven volume control. I would be very curious as to how sensitive that is to minor variatons in volume level. I do 90% of my listening at low levels and the ability to have precise control over volume is very important to me.

If it's anything like the motor drive in the A-9555 it should be fantastic. The A-9555 is very precise with volume adjustments from the remote.
post #20 of 60 Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 PM

I purchased this amplifier because I wanted to get back to my audiophile roots after years of suffering from iPod-induced crapaudio. I still wanted to use my iPod (actually iPhone 3GS) as the content source for a small and mid-priced, but high-end audio system but I didn't want to sacrifice music quality or convenience. I also wanted something smaller than a full receiver that wouldn't stick out in my den/library that could accept a digital audio signal, which is almost impossible to find in a mini system, but this has it.

So here's what I did: I purchased the Wadia 170i Transport ($399) which is the only product on the market which can bypass the iPod/iPhone's internal digital audio converter and output a true digital audio output via a digital coaxial cable (and works with the Wadia even though only iPods are officially supported). I plugged the digital coax cable from the Wadia (included) into the Onkyo A-5VL ($599 at J&R) and added a high quality pair of bookshelf speakers (Boston Acoustics for $600 a pair, but looking into Paradigm and Definitive Technology options). So, it is a total of $1,600 for the whole system, but it is more flexible and MUCH, MUCH higher quality and better sounding than a B&W Zepplin or iPod mini system and even cooler in its low profile, audiophile system approach.

When I play a recording from my iPhone (true CD-quality Apple lossless format is best) on this system, the sound is AMAZING and rivals even much higher priced and much larger systems. The sound is effortless and pure (especially with direct bypass of tone controls) and can be played very loudly without losing quality or becoming harsh. I listened to some songs I had listened to many, many times, on my exiting mini system (and high end car system) and I heard many instruments in the background that I never noticed before, which is another true testament to high quality amplification. It is more expensive than mass market iPod capable systems, but is actually fairly cheap by audiophile standards and a very good value.

I love the simplicity, lack of flash and very high quality of this product. It's kind of a throwback to old stereo audio days of high quality separate components but easily it handles digital content. It really has only two functions: i) convert from digital to audio and ii) amplify the signal to drive speakers, but these are the only two functions I needed for my high end system it does these two things EXTREMELY well. It has a very high quality Burr-Brown DAC and a higher quality amplifier than found in Onkyo already very good receivers. This amplifier is solid and weighs a lot for its small size due to its high quality components and thick copper plate. I feel like I spent my money on higher quality rather than features like surround sound, a tuner, etc that I did not need.
post #21 of 60 Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Li View Post

I purchased this amplifier because I wanted to get back to my audiophile roots after years of suffering from iPod-induced crapaudio. I still wanted to use my iPod (actually iPhone 3GS) as the content source for a small and mid-priced, but high-end audio system but I didn't want to sacrifice music quality or convenience. I also wanted something smaller than a full receiver that wouldn't stick out in my den/library that could accept a digital audio signal, which is almost impossible to find in a mini system, but this has it.

So here's what I did: I purchased the Wadia 170i Transport ($399) which is the only product on the market which can bypass the iPod/iPhone's internal digital audio converter and output a true digital audio output via a digital coaxial cable (and works with the Wadia even though only iPods are officially supported). I plugged the digital coax cable from the Wadia (included) into the Onkyo A-5VL ($599 at J&R) and added a high quality pair of bookshelf speakers (Boston Acoustics for $600 a pair, but looking into Paradigm and Definitive Technology options). So, it is a total of $1,600 for the whole system, but it is more flexible and MUCH, MUCH higher quality and better sounding than a B&W Zepplin or iPod mini system and even cooler in its low profile, audiophile system approach.

When I play a recording from my iPhone (true CD-quality Apple lossless format is best) on this system, the sound is AMAZING and rivals even much higher priced and much larger systems. The sound is effortless and pure (especially with direct bypass of tone controls) and can be played very loudly without losing quality or becoming harsh. I listened to some songs I had listened to many, many times, on my exiting mini system (and high end car system) and I heard many instruments in the background that I never noticed before, which is another true testament to high quality amplification. It is more expensive than mass market iPod capable systems, but is actually fairly cheap by audiophile standards and a very good value.

I love the simplicity, lack of flash and very high quality of this product. It's kind of a throwback to old stereo audio days of high quality separate components but easily it handles digital content. It really has only two functions: i) convert from digital to audio and ii) amplify the signal to drive speakers, but these are the only two functions I needed for my high end system it does these two things EXTREMELY well. It has a very high quality Burr-Brown DAC and a higher quality amplifier than found in Onkyo already very good receivers. This amplifier is solid and weighs a lot for its small size due to its high quality components and thick copper plate. I feel like I spent my money on higher quality rather than features like surround sound, a tuner, etc that I did not need.

How is the volume control ?

Are you able to make precise adjustments from the remote with minimal over/under shoot ?

I would be very curious since almost all of my listening is at very low volumes and I have as a requirement the ability to make very minute adjustments to volume.

Also how does it sound at low levels ? Does it still sound good at low volume or do you have to crank it up for it to shine ?

Let us know.
post #22 of 60 Old 09-10-2009, 11:08 PM

The volume control is, in fact, very precise to the point of being annoyingly slow to make large volume changes, so seems perfect if that is an issue for anyone (e.g. both the motor moves slowly and the volume changes slowly with knob movement. I listen fairly loudly both in headphones and speakers at almost 12 o'clock, so lots of room above and below.) The amplifier is very high quality which I have found not only makes the content much more precise and UN-smoothed but means that at high volumes it is not harsh and you can actually still carry on a conversation. At low volumes the lack of low-quality forwardness means a less aggregated loudness that you will likely find yourself turning up-- a good thing. (note: I have done my evaluation using AKG K701 reference headphones which sound amazing and I would highly recommend this Onkyo as an excellent headphone amp, too.)
post #23 of 60 Old 09-23-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like another winner from Onkyo's Class D line. I guess next year when the price has dropped even more I'd get one when I visit US. Too bad it's only available in black in the US right?
post #24 of 60 Old 10-03-2009, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got a call from my Onkyo dealer informing me there's a black unit available. Is it time to get it yet? How is it compared to the A9555 when using the analog input?
post #25 of 60 Old 10-04-2009, 09:34 PM

I haven't heard the A-9555 and have only used the A-5VL with digital input. There is somebody who posted to Amazon.com abou the A-5VL who had the chance to listen to both (presumably with an analog singal on both) who preferred the A-9555 (due to pecieved "digital artifacts" with the A-5VL, but he liked it too.) I'm guessing his percieved "digital artifacts" were due to the very discreet crispness of individual instuments and notes using the A-5VL that he may not be used to, but that's just a guess. That being said, if you are only going to use with analog signals, the A-5VL might not be worth the extra money and clearly some of your dollars are going towards a high quality digital-analog converter that you wouldn't be using. How much of the extra money over the A-9555 is for better quality amplification vs. digital-analog converter is impossible for me to say, but the A-9555 is higher wattage, too.
post #26 of 60 Old 10-04-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Li View Post

How much of the extra money over the A-9555 is for better quality amplification vs. digital-analog converter is impossible for me to say, but the A-9555 is higher wattage, too.

Who has claimed the A-5VL has better quality amplification? Onkyo is marketing it as more of an entry level integrated amp (hence the smaller size, lower wattage, and built in D/A converter). If it's more expensive it's only because (1) it's brand new and the price hasn't had a chance to come down like the A-9555 and (2) it has more features.

This is the only review I've seen for the A-5VL, FYI: http://whathifi.com/Review/Onkyo-A-5VL/
post #27 of 60 Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I am right now in the process of unwrapping my brand new silver A-5VL. Will post pics later. I'm gonna be putting it against the A-9755 straight up after level matching the output and will be using the Usher test CD and the Chesky's demo disc. Will post pics later perhaps tomorrow if my camera's battery is finally charged. Btw, I got mine for $550 so it's at the old A9555's price before the crisis and the insane price hike.
post #28 of 60 Old 10-05-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Well the initial impression after repeating a few of the same songs back and forth is that the A-9755 definitely outclassed it by several levels. This is done using the analog input only. But I don't want to make a premature judgment since the Usher S-520's are so inefficient they're the worst match for any amp below 50W. And I'm not even sure I got the 40W US/Europe version or the Chinese 35W. Regardless it's 150W vs 40W so definitely not a fair comparison. Anyway tomorrow it's the digital coax fest of the A-5VL vs Panny SA-XR57 and Onkyo TX-L55 using PSB Alpha B1 and Focal 806V.

If there's anything the A-5VL excelled over the rest, it's the build quality. Tight solid grayish almost NAD-like color. The internal is laid out neatly with the case just barely fitting the gut. The knobs even felt more solid than the 9755. I guess I'm expecting audio technology to make a higher leap but I have a feeling what matters are still power and damping factor.
post #29 of 60 Old 10-07-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
This A-5VL could be a solution for my problem with space in my rack.

Any news about that comparison?

BTW, what is "Onkyo TX-VL55?"

Thanks in advance

-
Rodrigues
post #30 of 60 Old 10-07-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry it should be TX-L55 and you can see the pic on my PC system. Released in 2003 back at the rage of class d receivers, it was basically an A9355 without Vector Linear and a simple 5.1 HT receiver. Same exact size as this new A-5VL and the watt rating I believe is the same. I just done the comparison a min ago but I've only been able to do it through the headphone as it's 1:30AM. The L55 still has the smoothness of the A9555 and A9755, basically an amp that audiophiles would love, but the 5VL is the cold analytical beast that some reviewers mentioned. It's by no means bad. It's just far more accurate and detailed to the signal without any additional decay or air or involvement that we are used to hearing even when we're talking about class d amps! The result is the same whether it's using the digital input or not. You would use this amp to do critical listening, not so much on easy listening.

While the rest of Onkyo's class d amps cater to the audiophile crowd, the character of this amp fits best connected to a PC or iPod, thus the digital coax input. In fact, it plays rap, metal, rock and other hard musics noticeably better than the other Onkyos. The price, sound, features, and compact size put this amp directly in that market category. The only reason why many of us are disappointed with the sound is simply because having been exposed to the A9555 we expected it to have the same liquidity, air, and soul while maintaining accuracy. Only when we look at the market segment of the A-5VL then things start to make sense. Then again this could be where Onkyo is heading with their next gen class d modules. Regardless even for a class d fanatic like me, this amp is most likely going to end up in my PC, office, or kid's bedroom. But tomorrow I'm gonna put it against my Cary ICE based separates and see if it actually matches better with my Newform ribbons. Hopefully it can fix the ICE's downsides by adding more top end sparkle and clearer more forward vocals. Oh did I mention the build quality that rivals Bryston B60?

In regards to your need to fit it in a rack, the top vent gets really hot as there's only about 1cm to the top of the biggest capacitor, but I wouldn't worry about it blowing up or anything.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page