Ht Bypass Dilema With 2ch Stereo Pre-amp, Bryston bp20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am considering purchasing this older model bryston pre-amp (demo stock) but it does not have ht bypass. To get around this I was hoping to run two different pre-amps at the same time into the same channels on my Rotel RMB-1095 as it has both xlr and rca inputs. Theoretically when i listen to cd's i would use the xlr connection from the bryston, for anything else (ht, pvr, ps3 etc) I would use thr rca's from the rsp-1069.

My concern is, there is no switch between unbalanced and balanced on the 1095 pwr amp. So what happens if the 1095 receives a live signal from both simultaneously. Will it shut off? Will it just pick one over the other? If it does pick one over the other will the resultant sound be degraded? Or will it just blow up?

Does anyone here have an opinon as to how this could work?

The 1069 pre/pro is also connected to the 1095 pwr amp via 12v trigger. I may also have to switch off the 1095's 12v trigger so that it will operate while the bryston is connected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It depends on the design of the amp. You must check with the manufacturer to be sure, but lacking a switch, it's probably not possible. And it could 'blow up'.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 114
There are many good 7.1 preamps with 2 channel bypass. Why buy something that doesn't work for you?

I just picked one up on ebay for $325 that has bypass and it works great. I listen to 2 channel most often so its important to me.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

There are many good 7.1 preamps with 2 channel bypass. Why buy something that doesn't work for you?

I just picked one up on ebay for $325 that has bypass and it works great. I listen to 2 channel most often so its important to me.

Which preamp did you pickup on ebay?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

The OP is interested in adding the Bryston BP20, which is a stereo preamp lacking a 'HT' bypass. A good quality stereo only preamp should have a better analog section than a multichannel prepro, but needs to be connected to the power amp to do so. Of course, there are good prices on used preamps of all kinds on the internet.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Which preamp did you pickup on ebay?

Bill

I bought an Emotiva LMC-1. It works great and seems to have no bugs. I like the transferable 5 year warranty. Its 1.5 years old so I have 3.5 years on it.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You could buy or build a Stereo switch to select either of the two sources you want. the link shows one for switching multiple video/s-video sources but you would only need to connect the L and R audio connections to make it work as a HT bypass.

http://sewelldirect.com/Calrad-Compo...Four-Input.asp

Ray