Parasound Model 2100 preamp owners thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 652 Old 11-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Member
 
vulcan00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really do not expect it to sound any better than the 2100. there were just a few more funtions i liked better.
vulcan00 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 652 Old 11-19-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

Just as a note, the AVS store quoted me a better price than that refurbished price and I assume you'd get the full warranty from them.

TJ,

Thats good to know for the future. I will check with them for any future purchases. I never checked the store, do they list the brands they carry?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #93 of 652 Old 11-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
TJHUB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan00 View Post

I really do not expect it to sound any better than the 2100. there were just a few more funtions i liked better.

Congrats on the purchase. At least you know the P7 is "better". Maybe not by a lot, but better nonetheless. Make sure you give us a few thoughts once you get it all dialed in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

TJ,

Thats good to know for the future. I will check with them for any future purchases. I never checked the store, do they list the brands they carry?

Bill

They do list the brands they carry, but I'm not certain they are completely limited to those brands. The best thing to do is call them. I can't remember who recommended the AVS store to me, maybe merrymaid? When I called earlier this year, the price was very good, but Audio Advisor's "open box" deals were better, so I went that route instead for the 2100 and my 2250 amp.
TJHUB is offline  
post #94 of 652 Old 11-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Member
 
johnridgerunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was informed on Monday that the 2100 I ordered from AA is currently out of stock and will not be in until Monday. I can't wait to hook this puppy up to my old Proton! I will post again with periodic reviews. I will also try it out with an old Carver Amp as well.
johnridgerunner is offline  
post #95 of 652 Old 11-19-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
merrymaid520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Terry, I got my 2100 through the AVS store, so maybe thats how you heard Their prices are very competitive!

Off hunting tomorrow boys...wish me luck!
merrymaid520 is offline  
post #96 of 652 Old 11-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Member
 
vulcan00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congrats on the purchase. At least you know the P7 is "better". Maybe not by a lot, but better nonetheless. Make sure you give us a few thoughts once you get it all dialed in.




Thanks TJHUB,


I am also interested in your experiences with the music hall tube dac.

I would like to fine a DAC with adjustable tube effect if there is such a thing?
vulcan00 is offline  
post #97 of 652 Old 11-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
boarder1995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is this what you're after?
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/TADAC.html
TADAC, with a tubiness dial. A friend has one and it works well. The analog input can be setup (from the factory) as another input or as a HT bypass input.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
boarder1995 is offline  
post #98 of 652 Old 11-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
TJHUB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan00 View Post

Thanks TJHUB,


I am also interested in your experiences with the music hall tube dac.

I would like to fine a DAC with adjustable tube effect if there is such a thing?

You could read through THIS thread for my small journey to the Music Hall DAC to start.
TJHUB is offline  
post #99 of 652 Old 11-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Member
 
vulcan00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, that TADac looks interesting. It seems to function in a way I need. I want to use my PC and also play my Oppo BD83 through this. Also the Xlr outputs might work for me as well. Its kinda expensive for me right now.
Thanks for the info.
vulcan00 is offline  
post #100 of 652 Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Member
 
vulcan00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The music hall looks great as well. Very nice price.
vulcan00 is offline  
post #101 of 652 Old 12-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Member
 
johnridgerunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally received my 2100 today! Great sound however, I found that my old Polks Series 2 Monitors have bitten the dust and I had to hook up the Infinity Alpha 50's. I really wanted to hear the Polks. I would like to repair them if I can. Any suggestions? I will hook up the Carver TFM-15 CB later and let you all know what this configuration sounds like.
johnridgerunner is offline  
post #102 of 652 Old 12-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Member
 
vulcan00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnridgerunner View Post

Finally received my 2100 today! Great sound however, I found that my old Polks Series 2 Monitors have bitten the dust and I had to hook up the Infinity Alpha 50's. I really wanted to hear the Polks. I would like to repair them if I can. Any suggestions? I will hook up the Carver TFM-15 CB later and let you all know what this configuration sounds like.

I just got the P7. I wish I could A/B the P7 and 2100. i have a feeling i wouldnt be able to tell a difference between them.

I also got a BD-83SE and been comparing it with the BD-83.

If TJHUB is around I would like to ask him where he got his Music Hall DAC?
vulcan00 is offline  
post #103 of 652 Old 12-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Member
 
johnridgerunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Carver is a good Amp but, it just doesn't pack the x-tra punch as the Proton. Both are rated at 100 RMS per channel.
johnridgerunner is offline  
post #104 of 652 Old 12-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
TJHUB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan00 View Post

I just got the P7. I wish I could A/B the P7 and 2100. i have a feeling i wouldnt be able to tell a difference between them.

I also got a BD-83SE and been comparing it with the BD-83.

If TJHUB is around I would like to ask him where he got his Music Hall DAC?

I picked up my Music Hall used on Audiogon. It was a store demo I picked up for $360.00. I now have about $800.00 dollars stuck into it in upgrades. But I can tell you first hand that the best upgrades are a good tube and Burson opamps. The Burson's aren't cheap, but they bring a clarity to the music that is just spectacular.

I'd watch Audiogon for a lightly used DAC. I watched for about a month for my friend and he picked his up for $450.00 with 3 extra tubes (good one too).
TJHUB is offline  
post #105 of 652 Old 12-04-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan00 View Post

I just got the P7. I wish I could A/B the P7 and 2100. i have a feeling i wouldnt be able to tell a difference between them.

I also got a BD-83SE and been comparing it with the BD-83.

If TJHUB is around I would like to ask him where he got his Music Hall DAC?

vulcan,

I would be very interested in your thoughts on the comparison between the BDP-83 and the BDP-83 SE. I have thought about the SE but I think I will stick with my Consonance CD-120 Balanced for 2 CH CDs. I might order another BDP-83 as the first one had issues with the fan and fan noise.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #106 of 652 Old 12-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Member
 
DrBrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my 2100 too! Its replacing an older rotel 970bx preamp. Looking forward to sharing my motivation and observations of the change once the 2100 has gone thru break-in. Meanwhile I have a couple of basic questions if someone could take a moment to help.

1) I can hear a mechanical clicking sound (inside not thru speakers) when I turn the input dial. Doesnt bother me but want to confirm thats normal.

2) I have one subwoofer with a single rca input. Shall I just connect 1 of the sub inputs from the 2100 or shall I use a "y" connecter to connect to connect to both on the 2100 into my 1 subwoofer connecter.

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to sharing my fun with you.

Brian
DrBrian is offline  
post #107 of 652 Old 12-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
TJHUB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrian View Post

I just got my 2100 too! Its replacing an older rotel 970bx preamp. Looking forward to sharing my motivation and observations of the change once the 2100 has gone thru break-in. Meanwhile I have a couple of basic questions if someone could take a moment to help.

1) I can hear a mechanical clicking sound (inside not thru speakers) when I turn the input dial. Doesnt bother me but want to confirm thats normal.

2) I have one subwoofer with a single rca input. Shall I just connect 1 of the sub inputs from the 2100 or shall I use a "y" connecter to connect to connect to both on the 2100 into my 1 subwoofer connecter.

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to sharing my fun with you.

Brian

1) The mechanical clicking is the internal relays switching. Completely normal.

2) Use a single output, not "Y" connector needed.
TJHUB is offline  
post #108 of 652 Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Member
 
vulcan00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TJ:
I would like to try the music hall I will be watching for one. Is it difficult to change the amp?

Bill:
So far I can not tell a difference between the 83 & 83SE. I dont believe I have ever heard the fan on my 83 turn on.
Since they provide a reference audio CD with each unit. I set the 83 and 83SE up in 2ch inputs on the P7. The CD has about 6 live proformance songs to listen to. So changing to each source, no sound leveling was reguired, I a/b the two.

I did not get to listen this weekend since i was busy and my school played for the SEC champ. They say you have to burn the SE in for 100 hours so I left it running this weekend I plan to listen tonight.
vulcan00 is offline  
post #109 of 652 Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bakerwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 2,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Good Evening All,

I just became aware thread and I have a question. I have a Denon AVR-3802 and no other processors or amps in the signal chain. In order to use the Parasound Model 2100 with my Denon do I need an amplifier? I do plan on picking up a 2 channel amp down the road, but I am several months away from that purchase. I've been told that a preamp with HT Bypass would be the best road to get the most out of the DACs in any (excluding JVC) of my transports.


Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

bakerwi is offline  
post #110 of 652 Old 12-22-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Good Evening All,

I just became aware thread and I have a question. I have a Denon AVR-3802 and no other processors or amps in the signal chain. In order to use the Parasound Model 2100 with my Denon do I need an amplifier? I do plan on picking up a 2 channel amp down the road, but I am several months away from that purchase. I've been told that a preamp with HT Bypass would be the best road to get the most out of the DACs in any (excluding JVC) of my transports.


Respectfully,
Willie

Hey Willie,

I have the 3802 as well. It is in storage but it is an excellent receiver that was a big hit in it's time. I have thought about selling it but I would rather hold on to it.

To best utilize the 2100 you would want at least a two channel external amp. I think the only way possible to use the 2100 with the 3802 (without an external amp) would be too connect the R Front and L Front preouts of the 3802 to the HT Bypass inputs of the 2100. Then you would have to connect the R&L outputs of the 2100 to the R Front and L Front 5.1 Multichannel inputs of the 3802. Not really taken advantage of a clean signal output of the 2100 as you are running it through the 3802.

I think the 3802 with the 2100 and an Emotiva XPA-3 would be a great option if it is in your budget. With the XPA-3 you would have equal power across the front speakers and have excellent 2 CH analog with the 2100. You could also look on Audiogon for a Parasound amp, they might have made 3 channel amps in the past.

Here is a link to the 3802 manual. On page 24 it mentions that inputs using the Ext. In input of the 3802 is output directly to the amps. It states that no surround processing is used. So maybe the 3802 has a straight analog bypass.

http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR3802_1082_OwnersManual.pdf

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #111 of 652 Old 12-22-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bakerwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 2,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Hey Willie,

I have the 3802 as well. It is in storage but it is an excellent receiver that was a big hit in it's time. I have thought about selling it but I would rather hold on to it.

To best utilize the 2100 you would want at least a two channel external amp. I think the only way possible to use the 2100 with the 3802 (without an external amp) would be too connect the R Front and L Front preouts of the 3802 to the HT Bypass inputs of the 2100. Then you would have to connect the R&L outputs of the 2100 to the R Front and L Front 5.1 Multichannel inputs of the 3802. Not really taken advantage of a clean signal output of the 2100 as you are running it through the 3802.

I think the 3802 with the 2100 and an Emotiva XPA-3 would be a great option if it is in your budget. With the XPA-3 you would have equal power across the front speakers and have excellent 2 CH analog with the 2100. You could also look on Audiogon for a Parasound amp, they might have made 3 channel amps in the past.

Here is a link to the 3802 manual. On page 24 it mentions that inputs using the Ext. In input of the 3802 is output directly to the amps. It states that no surround processing is used. So maybe the 3802 has a straight analog bypass.

http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR3802_1082_OwnersManual.pdf

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the response. The only other option I was considering was to get an AVR which has a "direct" or "pure direct" mode. At least I think this is what it is called. I've been reading that this feature in an AVR would allow the 2 channel analog signal to pass through the AVR without any processing.


Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

bakerwi is offline  
post #112 of 652 Old 12-22-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Bill,

Thanks for the response. The only other option I was considering was to get an AVR which has a "direct" or "pure direct" mode. At least I think this is what it is called. I've been reading that this feature in an AVR would allow the 2 channel analog signal to pass through the AVR without any processing.


Respectfully,
Willie

Willie,

I have a Onkyo 886 which has Direct and Pure modes which I believe still has some form of A/D-D/A conversion. Not being the most technically gifted here maybe some others in this thread can comment on this. I'm sure there are AVRs and prepros that have a straight analog pass through but I do not recall any off hand. So I guess my point is that even if you have a AVR or a prepro that has a Direct or Pure mode it does not mean it is a straight analog pass through.

I think the 3802 will be fine if you add at least a 2 CH or if possible a 3 CH external amp with the 2100. I have been on vacation for close to 2 weeks and have had a chance to listen to a lot of music with the 2100. It was so nice to have the house to myself for 2-3 hours and really crank the tunes.

I have been comparing the 886 with Audyssey (Stereo mode w/the sub) against the 2100 (w/ the sub). I found the SQ to be fairly close but in the end I found I preferred the SQ of the 2100. Just seems to offer a wider/taller soundstage IMO. Not a huge difference but with the 2100 I can switch between Input 1 and HT Bypass to do seamless comparisons.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #113 of 652 Old 01-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Newbie
 
stp8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my 2100 hooked up!

Mostly using a PS Audio DAC III (with Cullen level IV mods) to feed the 2100. I am running the main L/R outputs into a Rotel 1075 amp into Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. I'm finding that the volume gets loud very quickly and I'm only using the volume knob to about the 9:00 position.

This is a 'factory refreshed' unit from AA. Does this sound normal, or might I be experiencing unusually high output from the 2100?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Steve
stp8 is offline  
post #114 of 652 Old 01-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
TJHUB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp8 View Post

Just got my 2100 hooked up!

Mostly using a PS Audio DAC III (with Cullen level IV mods) to feed the 2100. I am running the main L/R outputs into a Rotel 1075 amp into Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. I'm finding that the volume gets loud very quickly and I'm only using the volume knob to about the 9:00 position.

This is a 'factory refreshed' unit from AA. Does this sound normal, or might I be experiencing unusually high output from the 2100?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Steve

Steve,

Everything is fine. I could never listen to mine above 10 or 11 o'clock on the volume knob. I've never had any issue with this. Also, please know that the PS Audio DLIII DACs run a little hotter on the output than any other DAC I've had. This is adding to the "issue". If things sound good, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
TJHUB is offline  
post #115 of 652 Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp8 View Post

Just got my 2100 hooked up!

Mostly using a PS Audio DAC III (with Cullen level IV mods) to feed the 2100. I am running the main L/R outputs into a Rotel 1075 amp into Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. I'm finding that the volume gets loud very quickly and I'm only using the volume knob to about the 9:00 position.

This is a 'factory refreshed' unit from AA. Does this sound normal, or might I be experiencing unusually high output from the 2100?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Steve

Steve,

Welcome to AVS. I agree with TJ as I might get to 10 o'clock with my 2100 but thats about it. I was listening to Donald Fagens Night Fly today and had the volume at close to 10 o'clock. But if I tried that volume level with Fagen's newest CD Morph The Cat it would be way too loud.

So I have found it is recording dependent and I would think amp dependent as well. I would say you are in fine shape. I got my 2100 as well from AA as an "open box" which was never opened.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #116 of 652 Old 01-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Member
 
cooljazzcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. I've recently started improving by 2ch setup by adding a tube amp. My decision now is whether to add a dedicated preamp such as the 2100 the replace my denon avr-3803. Would appreciated to hear of some direct comparisons with similar receivers. thanks
cooljazzcat is offline  
post #117 of 652 Old 01-31-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljazzcat View Post

Hi guys. I've recently started improving by 2ch setup by adding a tube amp. My decision now is whether to add a dedicated preamp such as the 2100 the replace my denon avr-3803. Would appreciated to hear of some direct comparisons with similar receivers. thanks

Are you using the 3803 with the tube amp or in a seperate system? If everything is in the same system (HT/2 CH) then I would definitely add the 2100 to your system.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #118 of 652 Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Member
 
cooljazzcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes Bill Mac, the receiver is used both for HT and 2 channel. I take it by your response that there are not subtle improvements by going with the 2100?
cooljazzcat is offline  
post #119 of 652 Old 02-01-2010, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljazzcat View Post

Yes Bill Mac, the receiver is used both for HT and 2 channel. I take it by your response that there are not subtle improvements by going with the 2100?

My one thought on having the tube amp in your system is how it compares to the 3803 amp section. My thoughts are is the tube amp powerful enough for HT usage and having the 3803's amp drive the center channel is there a noticeable SQ difference?

When comparing the 2100 to my Onkyo 886 (in Pure audio mode) for 2 CH is subtle IMO with the edge going to the 2100. The biggest gain is being able to use my sub with the 2100 which is not possible with the 886 using the Pure audio mode. So adding the 2100 to your system might yield noticeable SQ differences or they might be subtle. I think only you can be the judge of that.

I see much talk about big gains in SQ when amp and preamp changes are done. I have changed amps and preamps in my system a number of times and for the most part the changes have been subtle with no sudden huge SQ improvements. For myself the biggest improvements/changes in SQ in my system have been speaker changes and speaker location in my room.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #120 of 652 Old 02-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Member
 
cooljazzcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use the tube amp only for 2 ch and swap out the speaker cables for HT.

My 3803 allows me to crossover to the sub and based on your description it seems like there isn't that big a difference between your onkyo and the 2100, tough call indeed.
cooljazzcat is offline  
Reply 2 Channel Audio

Tags
Parasound , Parasound Products Inc , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp , Parasound C1002 10 Inch In Wall Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off