Some advice on my digital sound processor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-09-2009, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

My 2 channel set up is made up of some older components, but does a good job in the living room. It's not a great set up, but I wanted to make sure I was maximizing it.

I am in the process of hooking up my SACD player and was wondering whether I would be better to have it go through the DSP or just directly into the AVR...or does it even make a difference? I currently have my CD player hooked up to the DSP through 6-channel direct and it seems to make a difference (real or not, I am not sure).

AVR: Marantz SR870
DSP: Marantz DP870
SACD: Marantz DV6500

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Them: I could hardly tell the difference between HiDef and standard definition on my 27" LCD...
Me: Hmmmmm, wonder why that is... (sarcasm)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-10-2009, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does your DSP have a digital input and output?

Do you need the DSP for tuning purposes?

My general rule of thumb is to have equipment part of the signal change only when neccessary, even if one piece doesn't provide processing or DAC conversion.

Learning the Ropes, Reading by Night, Working by Day.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-11-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbakuhdabra View Post

Does your DSP have a digital input and output?

Do you need the DSP for tuning purposes?

My general rule of thumb is to have equipment part of the signal change only when neccessary, even if one piece doesn't provide processing or DAC conversion.

I am not sure about this but it is my understanding that SACD cannot be transmitted in its native digital form except in certain equipment with the right connectors. The SACD player may convert to PCM to send over a coax or toslink connection, but in that case you are really just getting red book CD, not SACD. To hear true SACD most people use the analog connectors but the problem there is that many receivers and processors digitize the multichannel analog signal in order to apply speaker settings and bass crossover, so you pretty much lose any supposed improvement in sound quality from SACD or DVD-A. You should be able to enjoy SACD in two channel form using a 2 channel analog input that bypasses any ADC/DAC conversions, which may require using a "pure stereo" mode or whatever it is called in that unit. Read your processor's manual or consult the manufacturer's tech support to determine if the stereo or multichannel analog inputs are digitized or if such can be defeated (bypassed).

"The truth is out there!"
post #4 of 4 Old 05-11-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

Iative digital form except in certain equipment with the right connectors. The SACD player may convert to PCM to send over a coax or toslink connection, but in that case you are really just getting red book CD, not SACD.

Nope. No SACD at all (DSD or PCM) over coax or toslink or any other unprotected stream. Analog or HDMI or iLink or Dlink.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page