HDMI on stereo receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-18-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please excuse the newb question, but I'm planning my first home theater system and have no experience with all this equipment

I'll building an HTPC and using it with a plasma TV. I'm planning on using 2.1 audio for both music and movies and trying to decide between a stereo or AV receiver. My main question is, are there any good stereo receivers that have HDMI input and can pass the video onto the TV? I'd rather minimize the number of cables, but I'm leaning towards a stereo receiver because I don't need surround sound and would like to save $100 if I can.

-cej
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-18-2009, 12:49 PM

Go with a multi channel for the multiple inputs. Plus.. if/ when you decide to add more speakers you won't be kicking yourself. If your looking to save a "$100" then I am *assuming* you are looking in the $500 range. Most AVR's in this range have most of their power going to the front right & left channels anyway. Try and get something with a AFD option and run digital into it (optical HDMI or coax), setup to 2.1 and enjoy!

Ps. If you are truly a noob.. remember that the power ratings in that price range are nowhere near accurate, neither are the volume adjustments or THD: usually only measuring one channel at a time. There are however some good picks out there, just do your homework!
post #3 of 10 Old 05-18-2009, 12:54 PM

To clarify on the power rating comment.. in that range... an HK that is 15 watts/ channel will most likely output more than a Sony, Denon or Pioneer rated at 80 watts/ channel. I'm sure some Best Buy employee out there will disagree w/ me, I have done tests and 9/10 times this theory holds true.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-18-2009, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. You're right, that is my price range. The multichannel receiver I've been considering is the Onkyo SR-606. If I decide not to go for a stereo receiver, would this be a good choice at this price level?
post #5 of 10 Old 05-18-2009, 03:18 PM

I think that model Onkyo is discontinued. What speakers where you thinking about (or have)? For that price range the Yamaha RX-V565BL is a great buy at $429 (from B&H). I would take Harmon Kardon or Yamaha over a Onkyo.. just my opinion. The Yamaha I suggested has really good Burr Brown DAC's, 4 HDMI inputs, 1080p up-conversion and a decent calibration system.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-18-2009, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVickers View Post

I think that model Onkyo is discontinued. What speakers where you thinking about (or have)? For that price range the Yamaha RX-V565BL is a great buy at $429 (from B&H). I would take Harmon Kardon or Yamaha over a Onkyo.. just my opinion. The Yamaha I suggested has really good Burr Brown DAC's, 4 HDMI inputs, 1080p up-conversion and a decent calibration system.

I meant the SR-607, not the 606. But I'll check out the Yamaha.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-18-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by C E Jones View Post

Thanks for the quick reply. You're right, that is my price range. The multichannel receiver I've been considering is the Onkyo SR-606. If I decide not to go for a stereo receiver, would this be a good choice at this price level?

The Onkyo 606 is mainly available refurbished although a few may be available new. You can get one here.

With what you want to do, a stereo receiver doesn't make much sense. AVRs are cheaper to produce - hence they are cheaper to the consumer. Only a few 2 channel receivers have built in DACs, and none that I'm aware of have HDMI connections. What would be the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVickers View Post

I own 3 Onkyos and 2 Harman Kardons presently, one each 2 channel receiver, and 2 each AVRs and one preamp processor. Although the Onkyo receivers tends to run a bit hotter, both brands sound very good although the HKs tend to be a tad warmer sounding than the Onkyos. Your point about power is valid, if somewhat overstated.

My HK AVR 247 is rated at 50wpc all channels driven. The Onkyo 506 is rated at 75wpc but doesn't state all channels driven. I'm quite sure the 247 will outperform the Onkyo on a bench by quite a margin.

As for upscaling video AVRs, I haven't seen any that do a very good job. Most pictures tend to look very much like they did before the processing took place. I have an Onkyo SC885 preamp processor with upscaling video capabilities and I am not impressed at all. And it isn't a cheap preamp.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #8 of 10 Old 05-21-2009, 02:21 AM

Liked: 13
Perhaps I'm just really dense, but if you want to minimize the number of cables, can't you just have HDMI to your plasma, and then optical from your plasma to the receiver?
post #9 of 10 Old 05-21-2009, 02:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I was debating whether I should get a stereo receiver or a multichannel receiver, and I ended up getting a multichannel (Harman Kardon AVR-247) because it came with a built in DAC (many receivers in that price range don't), had pre-outs for hooking up extra power if I wanted to in the future, and multichannel support if I ever get more.

You can easily get a Harman Kardon AVR-254 refurb from their refurb ebay store (harmanaudio) for around $300 or so, I think. Some guy just posted that he got his AVR-247 for $150.

Go with multichannel =)
post #10 of 10 Old 05-21-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg View Post

I was debating whether I should get a stereo receiver or a multichannel receiver, and I ended up getting a multichannel (Harman Kardon AVR-247) because it came with a built in DAC (many receivers in that price range don't), had pre-outs for hooking up extra power if I wanted to in the future, and multichannel support if I ever get more.

You can easily get a Harman Kardon AVR-254 refurb from their refurb ebay store (harmanaudio) for around $300 or so, I think. Some guy just posted that he got his AVR-247 for $150.

Go with multichannel =)

Agree!
I also bought a 247 from Harman ebay that I use in the bedroom. For under $200 it's a steal...almost. I had an HK 3480 before that but I already had a coax from my Sat box into the bedroom but could not utilize it, the 3480 has no DAC. Any decent AVR does, and the HK DACs seem to do a good job. And it has HDMI which will allow me to use that if/when I ever ashcan the 20 year old CRT TV.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page