How Pure is Pure Direct Mode on Marantz SR4600 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Simple Question regarding my Marantz SR4600.

Currently I am using a Roku M1000 (not the M1001 which resamples everything to 48 kHz) as my digital front end and have it connected via Coax S/PDIF to the Marantz SR4600.

Content is Apple Lossless Files streamed from a Windows XP laptop via WiFi.

Associated equipment is as follows:

PS Audio Duet/Noise Harvester/Power Punch Cable
Energy RC-10 speakers
Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable
Apogee Wyde Eye Coax Cable

Although I am generally very happy with the sound quality of the current setup I suspect my weak link at the moment MAY BE the DAC in the Marantz Receiver (although it does have HDCD decoding which is quite nice for my large collection of Beach Boys discs).

As a result, I am interested in the possibility of adding an external DAC between the Roku and the Marantz.

I notice that the Marantz has a "Pure Direct" mode (which I currently run with the Roku).

My questions is as follows:

Would an analog input bypass ALL of the A/D and subsequent D/A conversions in the AVR if the Marantz is in Pure Direct Mode ?

In other words, in this setting does the Marantz act as essentially an analog integrated amp/receiver that has a tone control defeat ?

This point is VERY IMPORTANT to me as it would make absolutely no sense to add an external DAC if the Marantz is going to do an internal A/D conversion anyway.

My suspicion is that the Marantz SR4600 in PURE DIRECT mode DOES bypass all of the DSP processes (A/D then back D/A) but I sure would like to get some additional confirmation from multiple sources BEFORE I think about adding an external DAC.

Thanks for any input to my question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-31-2009, 03:25 PM
CLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwilson1 View Post

Simple Question regarding my Marantz SR4600.

Currently I am using a Roku M1000 (not the M1001 which resamples everything to 48 kHz) as my digital front end and have it connected via Coax S/PDIF to the Marantz SR4600.

Content is Apple Lossless Files streamed from a Windows XP laptop via WiFi.

Associated equipment is as follows:

PS Audio Duet/Noise Harvester/Power Punch Cable
Energy RC-10 speakers
Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable
Apogee Wyde Eye Coax Cable

Although I am generally very happy with the sound quality of the current setup I suspect my weak link at the moment MAY BE the DAC in the Marantz Receiver (although it does have HDCD decoding which is quite nice for my large collection of Beach Boys discs).

As a result, I am interested in the possibility of adding an external DAC between the Roku and the Marantz.

I notice that the Marantz has a "Pure Direct" mode (which I currently run with the Roku).

My questions is as follows:

Would an analog input bypass ALL of the A/D and subsequent D/A conversions in the AVR if the Marantz is in Pure Direct Mode ?

In other words, in this setting does the Marantz act as essentially an analog integrated amp/receiver that has a tone control defeat ?

This point is VERY IMPORTANT to me as it would make absolutely no sense to add an external DAC if the Marantz is going to do an internal A/D conversion anyway.

My suspicion is that the Marantz SR4600 in PURE DIRECT mode DOES bypass all of the DSP processes (A/D then back D/A) but I sure would like to get some additional confirmation from multiple sources BEFORE I think about adding an external DAC.

Thanks for any input to my question.

In "Direct Mode" it is to my understanding that all Dig'l Processing ckt in the recv'r will be turned off or bipassed. You're now in pure analog form.
Since your Roku has it's own internal DAC if I'm not mistaken, I would try it first if you've not done so, by using it's analog out and connect it to the Marantz' analog CD input using RCA cables (remove the spdif/coaxial/Optical cable). I would encourage you to try out other external DACs.
By the way good choices of ancillaries you got there.

Vin
post #3 of 3 Old 05-31-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

CLS

Thanks for the feedback.

My thought was that the direct mode bypassed all the DSP in the receiver but it is nice to have other independent confirmations.

I have already tried the DAC in the Roku and I found it to be sorely lacking when compared to the one in the Marantz.

I am mildly interested in the possibility of an external DAC but I would strongly prefer to find one with onboard HDCD decoding since my Marantz currently has this and I find the HDCD discs to be the best sounding that I own (I have around 50 or so HDCDs).

What I have found so far is that it is very difficult (and most likely very expensive) to find a stand alone DAC that does HDCD.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page