high fidelity wireless headphones - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 02-03-2010, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I bought the RS 180 some weeks ago and it sounds great for a wireless type.

Just one major issue : there's a constant noise in the right-hand side channel and it's annoying as it is clearly audible in low volume scenes in movies and music. I thought the digital KLEER system would have no issues with noise but apparently it has.

Does anyone else have this issue or did I buy a defective one?

The source is a Denon3808A playing flac audio or Bluray. The noise is even present without connecting the source input cable in the base station.

I also have my old HD650 which sounds great, but it's wired, so no comparison possible

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I may post thoughts/expereinces in the coming week/s.
post #33 of 41 Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

I may post thoughts/expereinces in the coming week/s.

Please! Post up!
post #34 of 41 Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 PM

There are plenty of reviews out there on the new Sennheiser wireless line (160,170,180)... you just have to know where to look. Since they are new it takes time for the reviews to get to a spot on the web for you to be able to find them for two reasons.

One is obvious being it simply takes time to purchase ,evaluate, and then write your review. The other is often overlooked and is what the current problem is. Once you post a page on the web it takes time for google to spider it and index it for you to be able to search for it, so unless you know all the sites where these reviews are posted, you won't be able to go to them directly until google indexes it.

Fortuneatley, that's where I can save you time. I have written reviews on all three models and you can find them here http://www.best-headphone-review.com. These reviews are based on a consensus opinion and not on my own. You can read my homepage for the best synopsis of I how I review.

Passionate Headphone Enthusiast
Owner, Best-Headphone-Review.com
http://www.best-headphone-review.com/
post #35 of 41 Old 07-15-2010, 06:48 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by braky View Post

Well I bought the RS 180 some weeks ago and it sounds great for a wireless type.

Just one major issue : there's a constant noise in the right-hand side channel and it's annoying as it is clearly audible in low volume scenes in movies and music. I thought the digital KLEER system would have no issues with noise but apparently it has.

Cheers

Hey I know this thread is old but I'm going to help you out here as I had a similar problem with my RS 170's that I've now solved.

The problem is as you described: a buzz/hum on quiet or silent parts of the audio stream such as inbetween commercials/songs, or changing channels etc.

The fix: Reduce your volume levels on the headphones and increase your volume on the amp. After doing this I could no longer hear the silence-destroying buzz and felt MUCH better about these otherwise fantastic headphones.

Its a little inconvenient not being able to turn the volume right up on the headsets but you still have some range to play with assuming your amp levels (or TV if thats what your plugged into) are reasonable high. It appears the distortion only happens when the headset volume is up too high (not the overall volume).

Hope this helps

Joe.
post #36 of 41 Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 PM

Thanks for more information about this. This really helps for everyone and also for me. I just want to ask if where should I buy this.
post #37 of 41 Old 09-02-2013, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I need help!

About a year ago I purchased a pair of Elite Sony PS3 headphones. In my bedroom I have a 47" TV, PS3 and Dish Network DVR. The cups on the headphones both broke and Sony wouldn't cover them. But my problem with them was that everything I listened to was at the headphones max volume because almost everything was WAY too quiet.

They have a USB plug that goes into the PS3. This sends the signal to the headphones. On the USB plug is also a mini RCA jack for another source, like the output from the television. Other than PS3 games which were a decent level, I needed to turn the volume up to max just to get a low level from Streaming movies, many DVD's and Blu-rays and Dish DVR were very weak in volume even at max. Plus it seemed every program I watched had a different level, but all very low.

My question is: How is the volume on the RS 170's or 180's or other brands? I can't understand why none of these wireless Headphone companies ever list the type of amplification within the headphones, so one knows how loud they will go. I don't have any store near me to try the better ones out.

What I thought I would do is get an RCA splitter and input the PS3 into one input and the Dish Network DVR into another and then output to the RS 170 or 180. Any information you might have would really help. I want really good volume this next time around, especially for the prices these headphones are. Thank you.
post #38 of 41 Old 09-02-2013, 01:37 PM

I have the RS 180, and I've never thought they don't go loud enough. There's a 8db gain switch when using portable vs line level sources, just make sure you set it correctly.
post #39 of 41 Old 09-02-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohels View Post

I have the RS 180, and I've never thought they don't go loud enough. There's a 8db gain switch when using portable vs line level sources, just make sure you set it correctly.

+1
post #40 of 41 Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by braky View Post

The source is a Denon3808A playing flac audio or Bluray. The noise is even present without connecting the source input cable in the base station.

I also have my old HD650 which sounds great, but it's wired, so no comparison possible

My RS 180s lack any such noise.
post #41 of 41 Old 09-02-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwister View Post

I need help!

About a year ago I purchased a pair of Elite Sony PS3 headphones. In my bedroom I have a 47" TV, PS3 and Dish Network DVR. The cups on the headphones both broke and Sony wouldn't cover them. But my problem with them was that everything I listened to was at the headphones max volume because almost everything was WAY too quiet.

They have a USB plug that goes into the PS3. This sends the signal to the headphones. On the USB plug is also a mini RCA jack for another source, like the output from the television. Other than PS3 games which were a decent level, I needed to turn the volume up to max just to get a low level from Streaming movies, many DVD's and Blu-rays and Dish DVR were very weak in volume even at max. Plus it seemed every program I watched had a different level, but all very low.

My question is: How is the volume on the RS 170's or 180's or other brands? I can't understand why none of these wireless Headphone companies ever list the type of amplification within the headphones, so one knows how loud they will go. I don't have any store near me to try the better ones out.

What I thought I would do is get an RCA splitter and input the PS3 into one input and the Dish Network DVR into another and then output to the RS 170 or 180. Any information you might have would really help. I want really good volume this next time around, especially for the prices these headphones are. Thank you.

This thread which I started is ancient, not sure why you're necro-ing...
All the info in it is out-of-date, however, I've no doubt Sennheiser still produces amongst the best (if not the best) cordless headphones.
Also, RS180 is no longer their top-end cordless headphone, they've released even better cordless heapdhones in recent times.
I've been satisfied with volume on my RS180, but I'm well overdue for an upgrade to the latest/greatest cordless headphones.
Reply 2-Channel Audio