Troubleshooting multi room audio system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-04-2009, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First time posting so go easy on me. I've searched AVS archives and googled for an hour or 2 without finding much that was helpful.

Got a new to me house (~4.5 YO) and am trying to trouble shoot the installed Legrand/ABus/OnQ multi room audio system, which is fed by my AV system and drives in-ceiling installed speakers in different rooms.

Basically the system consists of an A-Bus source Input Unit.

Which is fed by my AV system via an RCA jack cable. The input unit feeds via cat 5 an OnQ A-Bus 4 zone distribution hub.

This feeds, via cat 5, the speaker control ABus keypad in the individual rooms. The room's speakers are hardwired to these keypad.

The problem is that one of the keypads doesn't work - doesn't power on, no sound from speakers. The other does. The problem one doesn't light up when I push the power button. If I had a schematic of the keypad I could check the input power - which I believe is 24vdc. Then I could see if the keypad is at least getting power.

Anyone know anything about this stuff or have some other troubleshooting methods? The only test equipment I have is a volt/ohm meter. I'd like to do some swapping around of connections the problem with that being that the cat-5 cable is terminated at punch-downs and I don't have any tools for that

I suspect that the keypad is bad, but for all I know the cat-5 wire feeding the keypad is damaged.

Thanks for your thoughts.

BTW - I could not post my url links showing the involved devices. Something about "You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 3 posts." I'll see if I can post them below.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-04-2009, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 6 Old 07-04-2009, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

BTW - I'm not trying to sell anything. I'm not sure if the involved components are even sold any more.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-04-2009, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

AV system feeds the A-Bus source Input Unit.

The above input unit feeds the OnQ A-Bus 4 zone distribution hub.

Multiple speaker keypad/amps are connected to the above hub.

Thanks for any thoughts.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2009, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know about the A-bus stuff? I'd imagine that the cat 5 connections have a standard layout?

Or - would it be better if I post in another location????
post #6 of 6 Old 07-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd start with checking the Cat-5 terminations at the distribution hub and on the back of the keypad. A common error that may have happened is the installer just transposed a pair and causing the keypad to not work.

If both ends are good, (you can just compare them against the working room) then to test the volume control keypad, just swap it with the know working one.

If it's still not working, try a different port on the distribution hub that feeds the problematic room.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page