Kenwood Pre/Power Amp Question?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-15-2009, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an older two channel Kenwood Pre/Power Amp with 300 watts per channel connected to a set of Bose 901 speakers (really old school here) ... But it's been working since 1985 so why change??

Pre-Amp Model = Basic C1
Power-Amp Model = Basic M2A

The problem I've started having over the past few months is, seems like it's taking longer and longer for the power amp to power up or warm up when it is first turned on. In other words, now I can turn the unit on and it takes something like 10 to 12 minutes before before the amp starts sending any output to the speakers.

Is this something that can be fixed on an amp this old or is it time for me to replace it with another good 2 channel amp?? If so, any recommendations on a good replacement system would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ETSherman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Probably needs to be recondtioned. Relatively easy, but not necessarily inexpensive.

Usually, this consists of cleaning all switches and controls, replacing capacitors, adjusting bias, DC offset, etc.

Whether or not it's worth it depends on how attached you are to the gear.

AudioKarma.org has a large vintage following that would be happy to provide plenty of advice and recommendations on the problem.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2009, 09:08 PM

whoaru is correct.

also, there are some guys at DIYAUDIO who jump in the the M2 and M2A from time to time.

Terrific amp by the way.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-17-2009, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
You may also want to have the 901's equalizer checked as well as the EQ loop it is connected to.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-23-2009, 03:53 PM
bfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsherman View Post

I have an older two channel Kenwood Pre/Power Amp with 300 watts per channel connected to a set of Bose 901 speakers (really old school here) ... But it's been working since 1985 so why change??

Pre-Amp Model = Basic C1
Power-Amp Model = Basic M2A

The problem I've started having over the past few months is, seems like it's taking longer and longer for the power amp to power up or warm up when it is first turned on. In other words, now I can turn the unit on and it takes something like 10 to 12 minutes before before the amp starts sending any output to the speakers.

Is this something that can be fixed on an amp this old or is it time for me to replace it with another good 2 channel amp?? If so, any recommendations on a good replacement system would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ETSherman

wow...I used to sell those at an audio store in London Ont CA called Beatons. Brad you still out there? Anyway, we sold Axiom, PSB, Kenwood, B&K, Onkyo, and Studer/Revox. The Kenwoods were nice, but a bit harsh in the mids and kind of primitive, to my ears anyway... The real beauty was the Onkyo Grand Integra M510 dual mono block. Plus the original B&K 200w/ch...Anyone remember that monster?
I think you should upgrade. Not worth reconditioning imho. Get a more 'modern' used anthem or parasound?
post #6 of 6 Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

If it ain't got no highs and ain't got no lows...it must be a BOSE.
Really, how do u get full range outa 9 4" mids...Equalize the hell outa them.
Get the power amp fixed at audio repair facility and then buy new speaks...
alan
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page