Harman Kardon DMC1000 thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 195 Old 10-10-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dsmith901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 8,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

If you have your unit in a tight space (which I don't), that may be why your unit only seems to have two fan speeds, i.e. low and high.

i.e. due to a tight enclosure it would operate at higher temperature all of the time.

Also a few others that have opened up their units (which I still haven't) have mentioned that the unit has two fans.

So when I mention "fan" in this post, it is a reference to the fan that you can see at the rear of the unit next to the on/off switch.

FWIW, turns out out that this fan sometimes does stop even when the unit is in one of the 3 "on" modes so long as it's not doing anything.

The 3 "on" modes are: either fully on, or server mode, or sleep mode.

FWIW#2, I turned my unit on (via rear on/off switch) two hours ago and after it got through it's boot process (takes maybe a minute), I put it into sleep mode.

Just walked to the rear of the unit, and a flashlight shows that that fan is turning even though the unit probably isn't doing anything.

Cheers


My unit is in an open rack and never gets more than slightly warm in the area near the external fan. I checked the fan while it was in sleep mode and it was not turning, and there is no reason it should, IMO. Anyway, DVD playback is not an issue for me.

If any users have problems getting wireless to work for them and still want to connect to Gracenote you might want to consider what I did. I bought a Belkin powerline adapter that sends the internet connection from Comcast though the powerlines in my house, and it works beautifully. You plug one ethernet connected unit into the power outlet in the room where your modem/route is located and the other unit into an outlet in the room where your DMC1000 is located, connect it to the unit, and that's all there is to it. There are cheaper versions out there but I like the Belkin AV+ starter kit because it has 3 outlets in the "receiving" room so I can connect up a BD player and my next generation net-enabled Panasonic plasma. The Belkin unit also has an adapter with a 3 foot power cord to make it easier to plug in a cramped outlet; you get two of these cords and two ethernet cables also. If you want to go cheaper I found the Trendnet version got good reviews and will probably work if you only need one outlet, but I would go with a 80 or 200 Mbps model rather than the 14 Mbps model because you probably will lose some signal strength depending on your electrical circuits. The Belkin is rated up to 200 Mbps but I don't get that and you probably won't either, but it is nice to have the potential for extra capacity. If you want the Belkin (which also has a lifetime warranty and support) the best price I have found was at Buy.com, with free shipping.

"The truth is out there!"
dsmith901 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 195 Old 10-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Member
 
54boots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had looked at the manual and did not recognize that, I reread and see the info is under "transferring files". I guess I could check it easily enough with a thumb drive, then get a 500g if it works. Thanks for the reply.

I had ripped the cds at work over the course of a week and just the weekend placed it in my system and am learning to navigate a bit. The sound is fine, I have not a/b'd it with the Sony 595 cd/sacd player yet to compare the two. Like you, I have an external DAC I'm running coax out to, a CAL Sigma II with tube output. The Sigma puts out a much better sound than the HDMI.

John
54boots is offline  
post #93 of 195 Old 10-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Member
 
scutfargas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: LA
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

On the left side of the remote control about half-way down
is the "Play Mode" button. Use this to access the random play
function.

THANKS!!! I totally missed this.
scutfargas is offline  
post #94 of 195 Old 10-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
mickinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cracking HK's partition code is going to be a fun challenge!:

Here is what I discovered while trying to expand partition, when using a 500gb hdd it only formats to 250gb, then trying to expand the other partition i was able to do that but unit will not boot up, SO I tried a 80gb hdd copied mbr and software to drive and when I installed in DMC no boot, looked at drive in disc director, and it was showing drive as a 250gb drive very confusing??? so I think the firmware is on the mother board limiting to 250gb hdd.....any clues????

MickinCT
mickinct is offline  
post #95 of 195 Old 10-24-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dsmith901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 8,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scutfargas View Post

THANKS!!! I totally missed this.

Easy to do considering the ridiculously difficult to read lettering on the remote. The DMC1000 has many shortcomings that are frustrating and irritating, except that for the ultra-low clearance price it is still an amazing audio value. I just can't figure out why H/K abandoned it (apparently) after never really marketing it. I guess the sour economy probably put the last nail in the coffin, but IMO if they would just fix the relatively few flaws and develop another generation of product (and lower the msrp) they would have a real winner.

"The truth is out there!"
dsmith901 is offline  
post #96 of 195 Old 10-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Member
 
Rocka2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just updated the software, then checked to see if it took, then I plugged in the network cable. Then I loaded the first cd I wanted to store on the unit. I got disc info but no coverart. Second cd I loaded got no disc info or coverart. I was able to get the disc info by going through every track individually and adding info manually. Finally third disc I loaded gave me disc info but no coverart. Wonder if I will ever be able to see coverart? I never turned the unit off after the update. Should I have and then restarted it before loading CDs? I have the recording quality set to lossless(wave) and read only. Could it be the specefic discs? They are 1. The Beatles Please Please Me (from mono box) 2. U2 Live Under A Blood Red Sky (remastered) 3. Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti [Disc 1] (Japan SHM). I am taking it sort of slow here, I do not know what I am doing and I am trying to figure what is going on. The sound is good. I suppose not having cover art isn't that bad as long as I have disc info. Wonder what is going on? Any ideas?
Rocka2 is offline  
post #97 of 195 Old 10-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Member
 
SelfGovern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston, Texas area
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocka2 View Post

I just updated the software, then checked to see if it took, then I plugged in the network cable. Then I loaded the first cd I wanted to store on the unit. I got disc info but no coverart. Second cd I loaded got no disc info or coverart. I was able to get the disc info by going through every track individually and adding info manually. Finally third disc I loaded gave me disc info but no coverart. Wonder if I will ever be able to see coverart? I never turned the unit off after the update. Should I have and then restarted it before loading CDs? I have the recording quality set to lossless(wave) and read only. Could it be the specefic discs? They are 1. The Beatles Please Please Me (from mono box) 2. U2 Live Under A Blood Red Sky (remastered) 3. Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti [Disc 1] (Japan SHM). I am taking it sort of slow here, I do not know what I am doing and I am trying to figure what is going on. The sound is good. I suppose not having cover art isn't that bad as long as I have disc info. Wonder what is going on? Any ideas?

I'd reboot, then make sure that you are getting a good IP address. It sounds like you're not connected to the 'net, even though the cable is plugged in.
SelfGovern is offline  
post #98 of 195 Old 10-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Member
 
Rocka2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, will give it a try. Thank you.
Rocka2 is offline  
post #99 of 195 Old 10-28-2009, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dsmith901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 8,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocka2 View Post

Okay, will give it a try. Thank you.

I have found that when I first start recording I cover art is displayed as soon as the unit gets it from Grace Notes, but on subsequent recordings, after a while the cover itself will not show (even though album/track titles show) until I go back into the main menu and pull up the album. So the cover art is there but not showing while the CPU is busy with other recording duties I suppose. My guess is they failed to give it enough memory, or maybe my unit is just lazy. Anyway, don't assume the cover art is not there until you check for it on playback. But I agree it sounds like you do not have a good net connection. Be sure to check your connection in Advanced settings.

"The truth is out there!"
dsmith901 is offline  
post #100 of 195 Old 10-28-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
OtherSongs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 1,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post



On a side note, what differences (if any) have you noticed with the new 04.06.04 firmware?

The one thing that bugs me (no pun intended ) about the 04.04.02 firmware that came with my machine is that it has a tendency to freeze up, which requires me to use the rear on/off switch to cut the A/C power.


Cheers

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

OtherSongs is offline  
post #101 of 195 Old 10-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Member
 
54boots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

On a side note, what differences (if any) have you noticed with the new 04.06.04 firmware?

The one thing that bugs me (no pun intended ) about the 04.04.02 firmware that came with my machine is that it has a tendency to freeze up, which requires me to use the rear on/off switch to cut the A/C power.


Cheers

I installed the upgrade about one-third along in the ripping process, have since gotten all cover art when hooked up to internet. I have had mine freeze up once, last night when I turned it on to listen some after four days or so since I last listened. I don't remember if I paused or stopped play the previous time.

I also transferred 2-3 albums to a thumb drive, it recognized and played them fine.
54boots is offline  
post #102 of 195 Old 10-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Member
 
Rocka2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

I have found that when I first start recording I cover art is displayed as soon as the unit gets it from Grace Notes, but on subsequent recordings, after a while the cover itself will not show (even though album/track titles show) until I go back into the main menu and pull up the album. So the cover art is there but not showing while the CPU is busy with other recording duties I suppose. My guess is they failed to give it enough memory, or maybe my unit is just lazy. Anyway, don't assume the cover art is not there until you check for it on playback. But I agree it sounds like you do not have a good net connection. Be sure to check your connection in Advanced settings.

Left it alone for a couple of days, completely disconnected, then I connected it and I had coverart from previous rip and received coverart imediately upon insertion of a new disc. It took it a while to record that CD though, but I am okay with that. I only get 720p instead of 1080p on my monitor that is 1080p, but things are looking good. I really enjoy this unit. Thanks.
Rocka2 is offline  
post #103 of 195 Old 11-01-2009, 05:08 AM
Member
 
SelfGovern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston, Texas area
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Harman/Kardon has listed at least one more on ebay for $150 with free shipping, BuyItNow. If you were itching to get one and missed it... you may have another chance to snag one, if you keep your eyes open.
SelfGovern is offline  
post #104 of 195 Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dsmith901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 8,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

On a side note, what differences (if any) have you noticed with the new 04.06.04 firmware?

The one thing that bugs me (no pun intended ) about the 04.04.02 firmware that came with my machine is that it has a tendency to freeze up, which requires me to use the rear on/off switch to cut the A/C power.


Cheers

I have had no problems with either firmware version.

"The truth is out there!"
dsmith901 is offline  
post #105 of 195 Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Member
 
maxfli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called H/K support to obtain a CD for firmware 04.06.04 today and was told they would not send it to me. The 1st level support person indicated instead that H/K will be posting a new firmware for the DMC-1000 on their website next week. I asked if this was version 04.06.04 and was told it will be newer.

Anyone else hear this from D/K recently? If true, I wonder what the new firmware will have in it.
maxfli is offline  
post #106 of 195 Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
AdamWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone seen if the DMC 1000 plays any additional media formats than what is listed in the manual? Its little brother, which may have never shipped in the US, the DMC 250 shows that it supports DVD-Audio, WMA files (v9), DivX and Kodak Picture CDs. It would have been nice if the DMC 1000 was a little more of a "Universal" player.

It also would have been a more more feature complete "Media Server" if it was visible on your network as a true "streaming server". It seems like the hardware was there, but the firmware just wasn't fleshed out to its potential, as a true network media server. Sure would be have been nice if HK opened this up with some sort of API to continue building on this. So close, yet so far. Too bad.
AdamWL is offline  
post #107 of 195 Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dsmith901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 8,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have been so pleased with my DMC1000 that I am thinking about selling it! Seriously, having heard the benefits of audio off a HDD I have become more than a little interested in the Olive Opus No. 4, which has a bigger HDD (up to 2 TBs), FLAC support, can use a iPod Touch for display and remote control, and would appear to be dead silent during playback. Prices start at $1,599, which is very reasonable compared to others out there, so if I can sell off a few audio/video items I am not using I just might make that upgrade. Anyone here seen or heard the Opus?

"The truth is out there!"
dsmith901 is offline  
post #108 of 195 Old 11-10-2009, 11:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

Anyone here seen or heard the Opus?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1091695.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #109 of 195 Old 11-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Member
 
maxfli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

I have become more than a little interested in the Olive Opus No. 4, which has a bigger HDD (up to 2 TBs) ... Prices start at $1,599

Sounds interesting, but at $2K ($1,700 with tax for the Opus 4 + $300 for an IPod Touch I don't have), it's hard to compare to the $450 I spent on the DMC 1000. I'd love to control my CD collection through a handheld device, but can't see spending that much to get that functionality.
maxfli is offline  
post #110 of 195 Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OtherSongs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 1,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfli View Post

Sounds interesting, but at $2K ($1,700 with tax for the Opus 4 + $300 for an IPod Touch I don't have), it's hard to compare to the $450 I spent on the DMC 1000. I'd love to control my CD collection through a handheld device, but can't see spending that much to get that functionality.


Agreed.

Also took a long look through the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1091695

Kindly posted by Rammitinski

I'm still pretty thrilled with my DMC 1000 unit, and am unlikely to ditch it for an Olive Opus 4.

Not to mention, but how do they compare to each other on sound quality???

I'm thrilled with how my DMC 1000 sounds, both when used with stereo out to my pre, and also when used with digital RCA coax out to my Bel Canto DAC3 to my pre.

Why would I want to screw around with getting an Olive Opus 4?


Cheers

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

OtherSongs is offline  
post #111 of 195 Old 11-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Member
 
maxfli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Agreed.

Also took a long look through the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1091695

Kindly posted by Rammitinski

I'm still pretty thrilled with my DMC 1000 unit, and am unlikely to ditch it for an Olive Opus 4.

Not to mention, but how do they compare to each other on sound quality???

I'm thrilled with how my DMC 1000 sounds, both when used with stereo out to my pre, and also when used with digital RCA coax out to my Bel Canto DAC3 to my pre.

Why would I want to screw around with getting an Olive Opus 4?


Cheers


You make great points across the board. I would rather use the extra money for the Opus 4 on a high quality DAC like yours.

There are 2 main downsides to the DMC 1000 for me. One is lack of FLAC support, which I can live without. The 2nd is having to view the CD collection on a TV, which I believe is one of DSmith's issues as well. I am currently sending the DMC video to my projector so I can view DVDs through HDMI in 720p. I don't like having to fire up the projector to change CDs or songs I'm listening to, so the IPod Touch option of the Opus 4 is attractive.

I have 2 plasmas in the room in addition to the projector, so I'll most likely run an inexpensive switch with the Satellite TV feed and the DMC 1000 feed to one of the plasmas and use that as the display the CD collection, instead of the projector or another TV. I'd still like to keep the HDMI to the projector for DVDs.

My final hope is that something like the Opus 4 comes out in the next 6 - 18 months at a lower price, say in the $600 to $1000 range. That would make me consider switching out of the DMC 1000. For now, I'm happy with its performance and convenience and plan to stick with it for awhile.
maxfli is offline  
post #112 of 195 Old 11-12-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
OtherSongs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 1,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfli View Post

You make great points across the board. I would rather use the extra money for the Opus 4 on a high quality DAC like yours.

There are 2 main downsides to the DMC 1000 for me. One is lack of FLAC support, which I can live without. The 2nd is having to view the CD collection on a TV, which I believe is one of DSmith's issues as well. I am currently sending the DMC video to my projector so I can view DVDs through HDMI in 720p. I don't like having to fire up the projector to change CDs or songs I'm listening to, so the IPod Touch option of the Opus 4 is attractive.

I have 2 plasmas in the room in addition to the projector, so I'll most likely run an inexpensive switch with the Satellite TV feed and the DMC 1000 feed to one of the plasmas and use that as the display the CD collection, instead of the projector or another TV. I'd still like to keep the HDMI to the projector for DVDs.

My final hope is that something like the Opus 4 comes out in the next 6 - 18 months at a lower price, say in the $600 to $1000 range. That would make me consider switching out of the DMC 1000. For now, I'm happy with its performance and convenience and plan to stick with it for awhile.


Very nice reply, and thank you for that!

I'm not holding my breath with regard to better HDD servers.

Cheers

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

OtherSongs is offline  
post #113 of 195 Old 11-14-2009, 07:34 PM
JD
Member
 
JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Here to Eternity...
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It took 28 hrs. to back-up the media on my unit containing 120+ gb of mp3s.

This thing really is EXTREMELY POORLY designed in MANY respects... WOW!


The backup folder size is around 91gb...

28 hrs!
JD is offline  
post #114 of 195 Old 11-14-2009, 08:45 PM
JD
Member
 
JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Here to Eternity...
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post

It took 28 hrs. to back-up the media on my unit containing 120+ gb of mp3s.

This thing really is EXTREMELY POORLY designed in MANY respects... WOW!


The backup folder size is around 91gb...

28 hrs!



Ready for this... !?

The machine says it would take 41 hrs.- 53 mins. to do a full restore from the above back-up file !!!

This is using a USB 2.0 external HD... If backed-up and restored consecutively, the HD would be running for 60-70 hours straight.

42 hrs!!
JD is offline  
post #115 of 195 Old 11-17-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dsmith901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 8,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Reading the Opus thread it appears most users are very happy with them, with the usual nits to pick. As for the price, yes the DMC1000 was a huge bargain at the clearance price that started this thread, but remember it originally had a msrp of $2,999, and in comparision with that price the Opus 4 would be a bargain. Besides, if you have thousands already invested in your pursuit of great audio, including $1K for a DAC, then $2k for a top notch music server is not such a hurdle. But sure, the DMC1000 at $400 was a slam dunk audio bargain and I don't regret my purchase at all - I just wish H/K had used a few more of their considerable smarts when they started designing it. As for the Opus, I see they have a new model (HD) with video out (HDMI) so I guess that means you can use your TV or a small monitor for viewing the display. It also has an internet radio feature that could be of some use to many. The use of an iPod Touch as a remote intrigues me, however I sent them an email asking if they will provide a similar app to work for Android devices, which seems to be the next big thing.

"The truth is out there!"
dsmith901 is offline  
post #116 of 195 Old 11-18-2009, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OtherSongs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 1,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

Reading the Opus thread it appears most users are very happy with them, with the usual nits to pick. As for the price, yes the DMC1000 was a huge bargain at the clearance price that started this thread, but remember it originally had a msrp of $2,999, and in comparision with that price the Opus 4 would be a bargain. Besides, if you have thousands already invested in your pursuit of great audio, including $1K for a DAC, then $2k for a top notch music server is not such a hurdle. But sure, the DMC1000 at $400 was a slam dunk audio bargain and I don't regret my purchase at all - I just wish H/K had used a few more of their considerable smarts when they started designing it. As for the Opus, I see they have a new model (HD) with video out (HDMI) so I guess that means you can use your TV or a small monitor for viewing the display. It also has an internet radio feature that could be of some use to many. The use of an iPod Touch as a remote intrigues me, however I sent them an email asking if they will provide a similar app to work for Android devices, which seems to be the next big thing.


Given that you're likely to get an Olive Opus 4, hang onto your DMC 1000 for at least a while, and kindly provide us with your subjective comparison of their sound quality.


Cheers

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

OtherSongs is offline  
post #117 of 195 Old 11-19-2009, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
dsmith901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 8,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Given that you're likely to get an Olive Opus 4, hang onto your DMC 1000 for at least a while, and kindly provide us with your subjective comparison of their sound quality.


Cheers

Actually I confess I was being a little over dramatic and don't plan to get an Opus any time soon unless I sell off some gear or decide life is too short (it is of course). I am retired and while financially comfortable I do need to think twice about $2K purchases, especially when a $500 purchase is working so well for me right now. Meanwhile, something later and greater may show up any time, who knows. But if and when I do replace the DMC1000 I will be happy to give an opinion.

"The truth is out there!"
dsmith901 is offline  
post #118 of 195 Old 11-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Member
 
maxfli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

Actually I confess I was being a little over dramatic and don't plan to get an Opus any time soon unless I sell off some gear or decide life is too short (it is of course). I am retired and while financially comfortable I do need to think twice about $2K purchases, especially when a $500 purchase is working so well for me right now. Meanwhile, something later and greater may show up any time, who knows. But if and when I do replace the DMC1000 I will be happy to give an opinion.


I understand your sentiments completely. I'm nearing retirement and was ready to jump at the Opus 4 right away, but considered the economics of the 2 pieces. As many, I'm usually guilty at jumping for the next best thing with little view of the cost. This time I caught myself before I got too far. Still searching for a better way to display the library than on a TV and not liking that restriction. I do however like the extra $1,500 in my pocket right now.
maxfli is offline  
post #119 of 195 Old 11-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Member
 
setter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, always firing up a TV to run the DMC-1000 is a PITA. Check out the Yamaha MusicCAST. The no longer made MCX-1000 and MCX-2000 both display on built in screens the library, artist, titles... The MCX-2000 has a bigger display. A video out display is needed only for setup. Both can store full PCM and\\or MP3 data. I have both the MCX-1000 and MCX-2000 and like them as pure audiophile products, but am unsure why Yamaha went all-MP3 on their MusicCAST2 series abandoning the audiophile.
setter is offline  
post #120 of 195 Old 11-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
mickinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
FIRING up the monitor every time is not necessary always, you can press play after boot up and the unit will play back in alphabetically,,,,

MickinCT
mickinct is offline  
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off