post #181 of 196 Old 12-27-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

... The issues with the DMC1000 pale in comparision with making a PC work as a server in your listening room or hassling with noise or wireless issues, remote control, etc. Good luck.

I take it that you've never built your own PC to play stereo music?

Anyhow, maybe a few will find my thread ( "Build a Small and Quiet PC For Stereo Music" see: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...917&highlight= ) of some use.

BTW, several in the Home Theater Computers forum took issue with my calling it a "server" and I soon changed the title to drop that word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

FYI to all: I discovered a trick to getting GraceNotes info when it comes up zero on the initial search for the CD. In almost every instance GraceNotes will find the info on individual song titles, even if the CD itself is not located. You have to call up the CD using "Album" not "Artist," as in "Unknown Album No. 25." Then, go to see all tracks. For each track go to edit and do the search and 99% of the time it will locate the artist, album, album cover, and of course the name of the track. Often you will get more than one search hit so you need to be careful selecting the proper track info you want to save - you want all tracks ID'd from the same album. Hit "Done" and when you are taken back to the list of tracks do the same process for the newly highlighted track (the previous track will be removed). After you have completed all the tracks on the "unknown" album it will show zero tracks, so you can safely delete Unknown Album No. 25 (or whatever). Now when you search for the CD by Artist you should find it and usually (maybe not always) there will be the album cover art also.

Thank you for your above 2nd paragraph with useful followup on how to actually use the DMC1000.

Cheers

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 196 Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OtherSongs, nice thread on the DIY computer music "server" or collection. I am not sure if I can set up a dedicated computer just for this purpose, but I bought an el cheapo usb device that offers optical input and output to connect to my AVR. It's one way to do a simple connection from my laptop to AVR.
post #183 of 196 Old 01-03-2011, 07:21 AM

DS-901,
I often resorted to using Find Information when the GraceNotes failed to provide the information. At best, it can provides the song titles from different albums, rather than an actual compilation album. And no album cover pictures!

There is one special 3-CD anniversary compilation of soundtracks and music for the Blade Runner. It identified the first CD as from the original soundtrack album, but the second CD with music not used in the movie, and the third CD with diffferent artists, are not coming up with anything.

Curious, how does your internet connection read? I wonder if the IP address has changed at the GraceNotes or if the HK's contract is up with GraceNotes, leaving us stranded?
post #184 of 196 Old 01-07-2011, 07:27 PM

Liked: 13
natchie;
As far as I can tell, Gracenote access for our DMC 1000s is definitely still working. Since I have 'dug out' my unit a few weeks back, I have been using it frequently (today included) - no issues at all getting the information and cover art.

Do you still have the X'ed out internet connection test results (specifically "Web Connection") like you mentioned in this thread mid December? If so your unit does NOT have a connection to the internet / Gracenote online, and is relying solely on it's built-in database. Keep in mind, the unit's database likely only has content up to some time in 2006 or '07 - plus no cover art, only track/album ID. Cover art, or info for newer albums, must be obtained online / with a network connection.
This would explain your difficulty obtaining cover art or the correct album choices, especially considering the specific album set you are referring to was released very late in '07

Fix your connection issues, and I'm sure it will work fine.
post #185 of 196 Old 01-09-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRockHK View Post

natchie;
As far as I can tell, Gracenote access for our DMC 1000s is definitely still working. Since I have 'dug out' my unit a few weeks back, I have been using it frequently (today included) - no issues at all getting the information and cover art.

Do you still have the X'ed out internet connection test results (specifically "Web Connection") like you mentioned in this thread mid December? If so your unit does NOT have a connection to the internet / Gracenote online, and is relying solely on it's built-in database. Keep in mind, the unit's database likely only has content up to some time in 2006 or '07 - plus no cover art, only track/album ID. Cover art, or info for newer albums, must be obtained online / with a network connection.
This would explain your difficulty obtaining cover art or the correct album choices, especially considering the specific album set you are referring to was released very late in '07

Fix your connection issues, and I'm sure it will work fine.

Thanks for the heads up...apparently I just tried again to connect with my DSL (Verizon) box...what I don't get is that the internet is fine with my computer, videophone and wireless points. What is your recurring IP address? Mine stays with 192.168.1.37 for the first IP address...Only shows ethernet box as checked. I switched the ethernet cable that works for other devices...and still no connection. I am tempted to go back to factory restore, but I have the firmware version 04.06.04 now. Don't want to have to change that...The other option is to leave it connected and go without it next to my bed. In the past, It seemed to work when I leave it connected for over 24hours...weird.
post #186 of 196 Old 01-09-2011, 04:44 PM

When set to dynamic, the IP address will depend on the DHCP address range set within your router. E.G., my router's IP is 192.168.0.1 - which is the standard pre-programmed address for most D-Link routers. I have the DHCP range to go from 192.168.0.10 to .50
The IP assigned to the DMC 1000 (or any other device) by the router can be anywhere within this range and is normally assigned in order they were connected, and will normally stay the same until the router is unplugged / rebooted for whatever reason. I believe the current IP assigned to my DMC is 192.168.0.14 (it was one of the first few devices I powered up since the router was last unplugged, hence the low number to DHCP IP start range)

You can do the reset settings to factory default within setup menu to undo any changes. You don't have to worry about the firmware update, it will not be changed/lost, only the user settings (which aren't many to start with) are reset.

Without digging into any of the network settings for your router or DMC, what I would try:
Unplug DMC lan connection. Go to setup, reset factory defaults (takes no time at all). Once done, fully shut down DMC. Turn off master power switch.
Unplug router power cord, wait about 10 seconds, then reconnect. Wait for router to boot and connect.
Reconnect DMC lan connection. Turn master power switch back on.
DMC should automatically start up, but if not manually power the DMC back on (Note: On start-up, you will likely see a new IP address - good) Go to the network settings setup, make sure it is on dynamic. Use the test connection function. If you get all checks, or at least a check next to ethernet and web connection, you are good to go and can access Gracenote online
(I should note, I always get an X for DHCP - but since everything works just fine I don't care about looking into it further)

If that doesn't work, the fix will be a little more involved than just unplugging things You will probably have to change settings within the router and/or assign a static IP to the DMC.
post #187 of 196 Old 01-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Hi DRockHK...apparently the dynamic IP address remained the same after following your directions: I shut down and turned on everything after two whole minutes. I might have to shut down the router all day and let that boot up cleanly....as for my DMC, this number seemed to be stuck...so will have to try again tomorrow and shut down the router while I'm at work.

Thanks for your review.
post #188 of 196 Old 03-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Under the Advanced Network, no matter how many times, I cannot get check box for DHCP server nor the Test Web Connection.

Any CDs after 2009, is listed as unknown album etc. The GraceNote icon shows up then fades out.

I did the unplugging, turning off, plugging back, turning on...and went to DOS prompt and release and renew the ipconfig...still to no avail.

I have Verizon DSL modem (Westal) and suspect that it does not provide DNS for attached equipment...

Would getting a new DSL modem be the best solution>?
post #189 of 196 Old 03-12-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:

I did the unplugging, turning off, plugging back, turning on

You DID try the Reset settings to factory defaults at least once during all this, right? (It only resets your settings - no content (or upgrade) is erased)

Quote:

Would getting a new DSL modem be the best solution>?

That seems ridiculous - I'd contact Verizon for information on configuring your router and/or if a 'hard' reset is possible (erasing all your existing network settings, will have to be re-configured)

Sorry I can't be of more help
post #190 of 196 Old 10-17-2011, 04:21 PM

has anyone found a way to change the software to store DVDs or blu rays on the HD?
post #191 of 196 Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Just wanted to check up on DMC-1000 users and see how
Things are going. I have 2 units, one a refurb,the other a new
Unit bought on close out.

I had an issue with the refurb unit this past summer,noticed the blue
Power status light was flickering. Sure enough it wouldn't turn on.
Unit was out of warranty,but I called HK who referred me to an
Authorized service center. After they had it a few weeks they
Called me to tell me that HK did not have the parts available to
Repair my unit!!

Well, I was bummed to say the least. A few days later I noticed a
Refurb unit on eBay for sale,but, considerably more than the $150
I paid for mine. I called the repair shop and expressed my concerns
That somebody was repairing them, referencing the HK store on eBay.

The shop owner gave me an email address of a person that I should talk
To. I sent him an email explaining my situation and my willingness to
PAY for repairs. He actually called me direct and offered me what was an
Outstanding solution to my issue.

He shipped me the refurb unit at NO charge in exchange for my unit
Sitting in the repair shop. All I had to do was pay to ship my unit to HK!!
I was flabbergasted to say the least and whole heartedly accepted his
Deal.

That is GREAT customer service!

When my new unit arrived I checked it out and the HD was about half full
Of someone else's music! LOL.

If your unit fails please don't expect a similar resolution. I got very lucky
And my timing was perfect to say the least. I can't remember the last time I saw
A refurb unit available.

How you enjoyed my little story.
post #192 of 196 Old 12-14-2013, 08:34 AM

GH,
THanks for sharing your story. If you can give me the contact name, that would be great. I recently saw that HK is announcing exchange program and thought about contacting them but to find the receipt of the sale at HK Audio store online is not easy...

My problem is that the internet does not work, and I suspect it is due to defective internet card/part...I don't want to lose the music on my machine...but if I can get a working model, that would be great.

Natchie
post #193 of 196 Old 05-22-2014, 02:24 PM

Liked: 12

I want to transfer the entire contents (boot data, HK programs, Music) of my DMC1000 250 GB internal hard drive to another 250 GB internal hard drive as a backup- not only for the data (music) but also in case of a hard drive failure, I could replace the bad drive with this backup drive-- Since mine is almost 4 years old.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

grasshoppers likes this.
post #194 of 196 Old 05-22-2014, 04:46 PM

Cloning the hard drive using a special tool that does a byte-by-byte copy should work without wrecking the original. Do not access the DMC1000 hard rive with any computer. The tool will not access the data, just blindly copy every byte regardless is the byte has data or is blank. These tools are readily available for $25 and up. Please post your results for others to share!
post #195 of 196 Old 05-23-2014, 12:03 AM

Liked: 12

The problem is that the HK DMC 1000 does NOT use windows. Per mickint, a veteran member on the site, the DCM 1000 uses QNX4.x 3rd partition. (QNX is a POSIX (Portable Operating System Interface for Unix)-certified, microkernel, distributed, fault-tolerant Operating System for the 386 and later, including support for the 386EX in embedded applications.)

How do you mirror a drive when the operating system on that drive is different than the operating system and PC you are using to perform the operation?

Any experts out there who can help?

post #196 of 196 Old 10-21-2014, 07:43 AM

I use my Aleratec HDD PortaCruiser to clone hard drives from proprietary OS systems like TiVo and Yamaha MCX-2000 as well as Mac and Windows platforms. They all work perfectly - the hard drives are identical and interchangable. These cloning machines don't care what is on the hard drive, they just copy each bit of data from one drive to another making an exact copy. The partition remains the same regardless of hard drive size. There are tools to fiddle with repairing data and changing partitions, but I never mess with them. I suspect a cloning tool like this will work on the DMC-1000.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page