Optical Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-28-2009, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a simple question. I am creating a 2 channel listening area and will be playing FLAC files from my HTPC. The HTPC will be connected to an external Digital Audio Converter (DAC) then to an all tube amplifier. My question is how should I connect the HTPC to the DAC? There are three options 1. optical, 2. coaxial, and 3. USB.

I have been leaning towards optical, because of the lack of noise, but I am happy to hear other thoughts.

Given that I am leaning towards optical, can i use the on-board optical or do I need to invest in a sound card with optical out? Will there be a difference in the sound quality?

Thanks for any help!

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 PM

The chip supporting the USB connection often will not support 24-bit files and can be subject to jitter. Between coaxial and optical, I would use the optical. Optical usually sounds cleaner to me than coaxial. I would have said a few years ago to obtain an external sound card. But recent computers are using better chips for their internal soundcards as the chip's computing power increases and their unit cost decreases.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-28-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much!
post #4 of 9 Old 09-28-2009, 12:34 PM

Posies, can you elaborate on the usb interface being subject to jitter? Isn't it the common perception that usb has less jitter since it sends music through buffering and asynchronous transfers?

Also, at least one popular usb dac, the Benchmark DAC1 USB, accepts signals up to 192/24. Is it really that unusual to find one that can play 24 bit material nowadays?

I have no experience with usb dacs myself but was just wondering since what you're saying seems to conflict with other things I've read.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-28-2009, 02:48 PM

If I had to guess, I would say that most modern external DACs use USB connection since that doesnt rely on a sound card or onboard sound to give it a coax or optical connection. ALL computers have USB, not all has an optical or coax output. That is the main reason I would see as to why external DACs use USB. Not because of better sound or anything. It really shouldnt matter at all what connection you use.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-28-2009, 03:34 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I would say that most modern external DACs use USB connection since that doesnt rely on a sound card or onboard sound to give it a coax or optical connection.

A "USB DAC" is a "soundcard".
post #7 of 9 Old 09-28-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne View Post

A "USB DAC" is a "soundcard".

I know it does the same thing, but what I meant was that if it had analog inputs it would be pointless because it would be limited by the quality of the sound output on the computer. If it has an optical input, it is limited in the fact that not all computers have an optical output built in to the motherboard and it still runs through the processing chip on the motherboard, which sometimes would limit the bit depth and sampling frequency. Same thing for coax.

So the purpose of the USB input is not from a sound perspective but from an ease of use point of view.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-28-2009, 04:34 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

So the purpose of the USB input is not from a sound perspective but from an ease of use point of view.

You could replace the "USB input" with a PCI bus and it would still be a "sound card".
The only motherboards with optical or coax outputs are motherboards with onboard sound cards, which, in turn have optical or coax outputs.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-29-2009, 09:59 AM

It sounds like your DAC has all 3 inputs, coax, optical and USB. If it's a built in sound card, either the coax or optical should be clean. If you need a long run to the DAC I would use the optical.

USB devices(sound cards) are getting better all the time. But if your computer can output a digital signal, why buy another sound card.

I too use a HTPC for my music source. I use the Roku which outputs a digital signal(coax) to my Pre/Pro. The DAC in the Roku was pretty bad.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page