decent 2.1 speakers w/ Toslink? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-17-2009, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm going to be buying my first HDTV shortly. I'm doing everything on a budget, so I"m only getting a 32" 720p LCD. I know that the built-in speakers will be intolerable for me, but I lack the budget right now to go the full-on receiver and surround speakers route.

That said, I"m looking for the best solution in the 2 speaker and sub range. I would like to be able to just run the Optical Audio out from the TV to one device or directly into the speakers. I'm not sure what type of setup I should be shopping for: Shelf-stereo; PC speaker set; low-end "home-theater-in-a-box 2.1 deal ?????

Any advice on the most cost-effective way to end up with a couple of speakers and a sub running off my LCD's audio-out is extremely appreciated, as I"m a complete newb to all things HD.

Thanks in a advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
What's your budget? I would recommend staying away from an HTiB as they are usually not upgradeable and fairly disappointing even compared to a low-end AVR/speaker solution. A refurbished receiver can be had for under $200. A decent pair of bookshelf speakers can be had for the same, if found on sale or closeout discount. The sub really depends on room size and what you are looking for. For movies, a good sub needs to sink down well below 30Hz with authority and if you have a large room, these things don't come cheap. Bargains in this area include the BIC F12 or PA-120 running in the $200+ range but things get a whole lot better above $350.

The sleeper must awaken.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-17-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroBP View Post

Any advice on the most cost-effective way to end up with a couple of speakers and a sub running off my LCD's audio-out is extremely appreciated, as I"m a complete newb to all things HD.

Thanks in a advance.

craigslist, want ad digest, friends with leftover stuff, garage sales. i.e. used.

Actually try doing nothing, the built in speakers might be fine for most TV shows. Give them a chance, that will also give you time to fall into a deal, or giveaway, on used equipment. You might be surprised what some people have in their closets that they'd be happy to more or less give away if they knew it was going to a good home - but sometimes it can take time to find these people.

You also want to consider where you might want to end up. Try to avoid buying things (especially new) that you will not have a future use for as you move up.

If you want to buy new stuff, I might start with a cheap receiver and bookshelves (whatever is on sale this week). Add the sub later (unless you really like the boom)

edit: try http://freecycle.org/ I've given away lots of serviceable stuff this way to people who were willing to come pick it up. Nothing with toslink input, but you might find your analog outputs (rca or headphone jack) are good enough to better what the built in speakers will provide.

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-21-2009, 04:54 PM

Liked: 10
Zvoxaudio.com

Try that... There are a couple of inexpensive products that might serve you just fine.. It's all analog but if your new tv has audio out via red,white cables, This might be for you.. they have a store on Ebay as well that you can sometimes get scratch and dent
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page