post #31 of 130 Old 11-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post

what i would really like to know is how a good 5k cd would fair against things like the arcam, rotel, cambridge and the other "thousand-ish" well executed players

I compared my Arcam FMJ CD17 to a Cary Audio 306 Pro SACD/CD player. The Arcam retails for $1k, while the Cary player retails at $8k. I don't own any SACDs so I only compared redbook discs. Though I could hear a slight difference when, non-level matched, listening the difference was not worth the delta in $ and I don't know that I actually enjoyed the more revealing sound (edge) that was apparent with the Cary product.

Quote:

So, i loaded itunes. Very annoying to use.

Why is iTunes annoying? No matter how you rip a library, there will be some management of the content. Tagging and sorting is a pain in the beginning but once you get used to the process it will become more intuitive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 130 Old 11-28-2009, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Has anyone compared any Musical Fidelity stuff to lower CD Players, the Only Player I have compared my A5-5 to was the 840 Cambridge Audio and it was better the A5-5 a nicer sound all round, but if you did not compare the two the 840 is a very good player for that price.
post #33 of 130 Old 11-28-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Shep View Post

I compared my Arcam FMJ CD17 to a Cary Audio 306 Pro SACD/CD player. The Arcam retails for $1k, while the Cary player retails at $8k. I don't own any SACDs so I only compared redbook discs. Though I could hear a slight difference when, non-level matched, listening the difference was not worth the delta in $ and I don't know that I actually enjoyed the more revealing sound (edge) that was apparent with the Cary product.

Why is iTunes annoying? No matter how you rip a library, there will be some management of the content. Tagging and sorting is a pain in the beginning but once you get used to the process it will become more intuitive.

Grapevine I heard was the CARY digital stuff sure is not like their old triode amps. Loved them. Maybe a bad comparison. Arcam is on my list to find.

iTunes crashed once, confused a bunch of songs, takes forever to come up, forever to play, keeps checking the WEB, and worst of all, I have to boot my computer to use it. QuickTime does seem more stable then Media player, I give them that. Just the concept of streaming applications without a real-time kernel is asking for trouble. So, I would have to set up another computer, leave it booted, spend all the time maintaining the OS just so it can be slower and not as convenient as it is now. Not the least problem is no place to put the system. I don't want a cabled up laptop sitting in my living room.
post #34 of 130 Old 11-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not the least problem is no place to put the system. I don't want a cabled up laptop sitting in my living room.

I bought this small desk and chair from Ikea and positioned it behind my listening chair. Please notice the size of the Mac Mini and the iTouch sitting on the doc, that I pick up and carry with me to the sweet spot. Have you given much thought to looking for a used Mac Mini from Craigslist to just use it as a music server? It would work seamlessly with iTunes and you may buy an external hard drive and rip your CD collection to it then if you enjoy the Mac Mini you may upgrade to a brand new one and utilize the external hard drive.

post #35 of 130 Old 11-28-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have been married for 30 plus years. If I tried to put that in the living room, it would no longer be my living room. Hey, is that DAC really as good as the press hype?
post #36 of 130 Old 11-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have been married for 30 plus years. If I tried to put that in the living room, it would no longer be my living room. Hey, is that DAC really as good as the press hype?

Yes.
post #37 of 130 Old 12-18-2009, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if theres any reviews on the M6i Yet.
post #38 of 130 Old 12-22-2009, 12:44 PM

Any ideas on how to get a low signal to a sub with this thing? Or are high-end int-amps above the sub-grade?
post #39 of 130 Old 12-29-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshot View Post

Any ideas on how to get a low signal to a sub with this thing? Or are high-end int-amps above the sub-grade?

External x-over?

Something "like" this perhaps.....
post #40 of 130 Old 12-29-2009, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
While I love Cary... 8K for a CD player? You can get a transport and a NAD M2 that's truly revolutionary for 2K lesser.
post #41 of 130 Old 12-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda View Post

While I love Cary... 8K for a CD player?

Agreed. IMO the DAC inside of a component gives that component it's audible signature, for the most part. I found a CD player in the Arcam that has a wonderful DAC for my ear at a very reasonable price. I also own the Ayre QB-9 DAC that has a different sound than my Arcam and serves a different function in my system, that I paid retail for but no where near the price of some of the other stand alone DACs on the market.
post #42 of 130 Old 12-29-2009, 01:36 PM

[quote=K Shep;17618554]I bought this small desk and chair from Ikea and positioned it behind my listening chair. Please notice the size of the Mac Mini and the iTouch sitting on the doc, that I pick up and carry with me to the sweet spot. Have you given much thought to looking for a used Mac Mini from Craigslist to just use it as a music server? It would work seamlessly with iTunes and you may buy an external hard drive and rip your CD collection to it then if you enjoy the Mac Mini you may upgrade to a brand new one and utilize the external hard drive.

If you really wanted to also, you could get the free App for the iPhone that lets you control your entire iTunes library via BT! It's called Remote?
post #43 of 130 Old 12-29-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb123 View Post

External x-over?

Something "like" this perhaps.....

OK back to the M6 or A5, which seem very close to function and performance...
The A5 PDF manual has this entry about the Pre-Out section:

PRE-AMPLIFIER OUTPUT
The A5 Integrated amplifier has its pre- amplifier output available from RCA sockets on the back panel marked PRE- OUT, and is controlled by the volume adjustment.
This is to allow bi-amplification using suitable external amplifiers and crossover networks to power the speaker drive components separately, giving noticeable improvement in clarity, imaging and bass weight.
In this arrangement, typically the A5's speaker outputs are used to drive the speaker's tweeter (high audio frequencies), and an external stereo amplifier drives the woofer (low frequencies). The A5's PRE OUT RCA sockets would therefore be connected to the input of the external woofer amplifier in this example.

So, I wonder if that means you could run 2 speakers off the speakers, and the Pre's simultaneuously to your Behringer there, or if these MF's are either speaker OR Pre?
post #44 of 130 Old 12-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you really wanted to also, you could get the free App for the iPhone that lets you control your entire iTunes library via BT! It's called Remote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Shep View Post

I started from scratch recently...one of the reasons I chose a Mac based computer front end and iTunes is the ability to utilize an iPod Touch as my remote control. The built in WiFi of the Apple devices allows for mobility. I have a dedicated 2 channel listening room, I sit in the listening chair with just the iPod in my hand and manipulate my iTunes library.

I copied this from the "software for playing/managing digital audio library" thread posted today. In my brevity I failed to mention the "remote" application. Thank you headshot.
post #45 of 130 Old 12-29-2009, 06:06 PM

I know this isn't the place for this subject matter and I don't want to morph away from the MF topic, but just a 2รง worth of my own wireless experience...

MacPro in the back den, with router and all my music on one hard drive library.
PS3 in the front-room. the Nullriver program on the Mac allows me to open my library up and all it's playlists to the PS3 via wifi, all there on my 50" plasma.
B&K Ref 50 S2 Pre to 200.7, out to Electra 927be and a damn good wool rug on the hardwoods. Only drawback is the PS3 doesn't see AIFF or Apple lossless so I have to import CD's or Flacs as WAV and then you lose the album art...

I'd get a Mac one day for just the frontroom but it'll be hell to keep the libraries and playlists synced!

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on if the SQ is taking a hit going into the PS3?
I'm using an optical going to the Pre. Of course I think it sounds amazing, but so does everyone until they experience something better, and there's ALWAYS something better!
post #46 of 130 Old 12-30-2009, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

You should not really use a sub woofer on this sort of gear this stuff is Hi-Fi not home theater like Yamaha or other, why would you use a Sub on a A5-5 Amplifier it will be more natural through your front speakers anyway. This Is Musical Fidelity this is Serious Gear for 2ch loves like me.
post #47 of 130 Old 12-30-2009, 07:27 AM

Because it would please me.
post #48 of 130 Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 AM

And because I don't have a collection of Diana Krall Samplers.
I bounce from Prokofiev to Steely Dan, from Calexico to KMFDM and from
Juno Reactor to Frank Zappa. The newest stuff being recorded the past couple years is so dynamically awesome and full-ranged, I just couldn't imagine it without the extreme low-end.

Now if it's a matter of 'you shouldn't have a bottle of Penfold's Grange with your cheeseburger' then that's a pretty subjective matter.
No, I believe I will, with extra bacon fat, cheddar cheese, and then I'll wash it all down with a shot of Louis to boot!
;-)
post #49 of 130 Old 12-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdblu View Post

You should not really use a sub woofer on this sort of gear...this is Serious Gear for 2ch lovers like me.

blu,

I don't know that you should shun a guy for asking about the addition of a sub, some "2 channel purists" I know run one or two subs in their systems. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
post #50 of 130 Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 AM

I'm actually kind of glad it came up, that's a whole 'nother topic that fascinates me!
Because it's so subjective with a touch of undeniable science fact, it's exactly like wine.
Red with fowl?!? Well, sometimes. Pinot Noir with Turkey or Duck!
White with red meat? You really SHOULD not, but somewhere there may be a place for it. A melony S.B. with Prosciutto? Why the hell not....

There are scientific reasonings like, only the most tannic acidic cabs can cut through the fat of a ribeye, and xxxHz wavelengths can not be heard under these decibels or whatever.

The psychology of sound is something that always fascinated me,
post #51 of 130 Old 12-30-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Get Over yourself if you would like a Sub in your setup just buy a receiver. you put a Sub on this sort of gear you are only down downgrading your sound.

Get back on topic Please.
post #52 of 130 Old 12-30-2009, 01:44 PM

OK, I'm over myself. . . Still gonna try it though. If I determine there's enough bass then I'll remove it!

The A5 & M6 sounded fantastic, but has anyone ever compared it to the A1008?? That thing looks wicked!

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...8-76974/review
post #53 of 130 Old 12-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

it's exactly like wine.

No its not...audio is nothing like choosing wine.

Quote:

Red with fowl?!? Well, sometimes. Pinot Noir with Turkey or Duck!
White with red meat? You really SHOULD not, but somewhere there may be a place for it. A melony S.B. with Prosciutto? Why the hell not....

There are scientific reasonings like, only the most tannic acidic cabs can cut through the fat of a ribeye, and xxxHz wavelengths can not be heard under these decibels or whatever.

The psychology of sound is something that always fascinated me,

What in the hell are you talking about? Wine pairings = the psychology of sound?

Quote:

Get Over yourself.

blu I retract my earlier statement. You should shun this guy.
post #54 of 130 Old 12-30-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

And because I don't have a collection of Diana Krall Samplers.

You must immediately hand back your Magic Audiophile Decoder Ring.
post #55 of 130 Old 12-30-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Get Over yourself if you would like a Sub in your setup just buy a receiver. you put a Sub on this sort of gear you are only down downgrading your sound.

Apart from snobbery, there is no reason not to try subs with speakers as part of a high quality 2ch system. Increased output or reduced distortion in band at lower levels, better matching of placement in the room vis modal response errors at LF and best placement for imaging etc.

I suggest you start reading some of Toole, Olive, Welti and Geddes work in this area to expand you understanding. Amps are a trivial part of the pic compared to the room and speaker interaction.
post #56 of 130 Old 12-30-2009, 03:30 PM

the A1008 is in a different galaxy. I had both the 1008 CD and integrated amp here for a while.
post #57 of 130 Old 12-31-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Has anyone compared any Musical Fidelity stuff to lower CD Players, the Only Player I have compared my A5-5 to was the 840 Cambridge Audio and it was better the A5-5 a nicer sound all round, but if you did not compare the two the 840 is a very good player for that price.

I've compared the Musical Fidelity Xray V8 to the Rotel 1055, Emotiva ERC-1, Marantz 6001 SACD and T+A E series CDP's

The Xray spanked all of them but the T+A. The T+A is a $3000 player and the Xray and power supply close to $2000 before discontinued. The T+A did not beat it by a long shot. It had more transparency than the Xray but the Xray had more body and a warmer presentation. The Xray had a more sweeter tubed sound. The T+A is a very outstanding player but is not really known in the States. Its a German made player.
post #58 of 130 Old 12-31-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:

I have a sub with my 2 channel amp. I have
stand mounted speakers that could use more in the bottom end. My two channel 2 hundred watt amp does not have a sub out so I just use the line level on my sub, and trust me...there is no down grading of the sound....that's really a myth of less you dont know how to set it up.

frenchmon
post #59 of 130 Old 01-01-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post

I have a sub with my 2 channel amp. I have
stand mounted speakers that could use more in the bottom end. My two channel 2 hundred watt amp does not have a sub out so I just use the line level on my sub, and trust me...there is no down grading of the sound....that's really a myth of less you dont know how to set it up.

frenchmon

You must not have good front speakers that why you have to use a Sub, and trust me you are downgrading , but if it make you Happy go ahead
post #60 of 130 Old 01-01-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post

I've compared the Musical Fidelity Xray V8 to the Rotel 1055, Emotiva ERC-1, Marantz 6001 SACD and T+A E series CDP's

The Xray spanked all of them but the T+A. The T+A is a $3000 player and the Xray and power supply close to $2000 before discontinued. The T+A did not beat it by a long shot. It had more transparency than the Xray but the Xray had more body and a warmer presentation. The Xray had a more sweeter tubed sound. The T+A is a very outstanding player but is not really known in the States. Its a German made player.

That what I get with my A5-5 sweet warm sound I could not say it tube sound because it uses Tubes inside ECC88, people say the X-ray Player is a top Player for the money you pay if the T+A is a more expensive player it should sound better but it sound like it only just beats it.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page