Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 130 Old 01-01-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshot View Post

OK, I'm over myself. . . Still gonna try it though. If I determine there's enough bass then I'll remove it!

The A5 & M6 sounded fantastic, but has anyone ever compared it to the A1008?? That thing looks wicked!

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...8-76974/review

You don't sound over your self you are still going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 130 Old 01-01-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdblu View Post

You must not have good front speakers that why you have to use a Sub, and trust me you are downgrading , but if it make you Happy go ahead

What do you mean by good speakers? And kindly tell me how Im down grading? Can you do that?

frechmon
post #63 of 130 Old 01-01-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:

That what I get with my A5-5 sweet warm sound I could not say it tube sound because it uses Tubes inside ECC88, people say the X-ray Player is a top Player for the money you pay if the T+A is a more expensive player it should sound better but it sound like it only just beats it.

Well you do know we share a subject hobby don't you? I mean sound is very much subjective...do you agree?

frenchmon
post #64 of 130 Old 01-01-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post

Well you do know we share a subject hobby don't you? I mean sound is very much subjective...do you agree?

frenchmon

Yes Sir
Blue

Yellow

Green

Black

Can we Please get back on topic Thanks You. Or Please close this Thread
post #65 of 130 Old 01-02-2010, 10:01 AM

Wow, I drive to Indy for one day to adopt a kitten and look at all this dialogue.

Ultimately my topic I introduced was about the A5/M6 amps and what the best way would be to get a sub signal and then I realized that the pre-outs should serve as a qualified line into one that has built in filters/crossovers while also using the 250 watts to drive my full range Focal's.

Hey Blu if you don't want to receive email notifications in this thread you can click down and disable this feature, but as long as people have ideas and viewpoints to add I think it's constructive dialogue. If you don't want to take part or hear it then don't participate!
post #66 of 130 Old 01-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@signalpath View Post

the A1008 is in a different galaxy. I had both the 1008 CD and integrated amp here for a while.

Hey Jim,
Can you elaborate about "different Galaxy"?
I take it that means it's either way better or way different in characteristic entirely?

thanks!
post #67 of 130 Old 01-02-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow, I drive to Indy for one day to adopt a kitten and look at all this dialogue.

Ultimately my topic I introduced was about the A5/M6 amps and what the best way would be to get a sub signal and then I realized that the pre-outs should serve as a qualified line into one that has built in filters/crossovers while also using the 250 watts to drive my full range Focal's.

Hey Blu if you don't want to receive email notifications in this thread you can click down and disable this feature, but as long as people have ideas and viewpoints to add I think it's constructive dialogue. If you don't want to take part or hear it then don't participate!

This Thread was open to talk about the M6 Musial Fidelity Amplifier so open a New thread called --Sub talk with 2ch gear--, so go post it in your thread Thanks You so get out of this thread and continue your talk in your thread.
And Again Thanks you.
post #68 of 130 Old 01-02-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Hey Jim,
Can you elaborate about "different Galaxy"?
I take it that means it's either way better or way different in characteristic entirely?

thanks!

headshot...the A5 and 5.5 integrated amp/cd combinations were very strong values.....especially the original A5 combo. But the A1008 integrated amp has so much grip at the bottom end and detail across the mids and highs that it places the 1008 up there with some of the best integrated amps available in the $10K and down category. The CD player sounded better to me than the older Transport-Dac combination that got a Stereophile Class A rating a few years ago.

btw...I visited the MF factory last year and saw the new lineup being built. Beautiful stuff!
post #69 of 130 Old 03-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
I auditioned a system today the consisted of an Ayre C-5X CDP, Musical Fidelity's new M6i integrated amp and Sonus Faber Liuto Wood speakers. What a wonderful system! I apologize for the iPhone photos.

post #70 of 130 Old 03-17-2010, 10:15 AM

^That looks like musiclovers in SF?

I spent some time there the first weekend they got the M6i and M6 pre/power in stock. Did not find anything else in the area that sounded as good, but it is hard to compare across different stores as the room, source and speakers were inevitably different too. Other amps I heard included the A5.5, krell s300i, NAD M6, a chord power amp (retail 5k, but down to 4k) and one of the marantz integrated's (~2k). Each of them sounded good, but also each of them left me with a doubt about some aspect of the amp. With the M6 series amps, my biggest doubt was whether or not I should be spending so much on an amp and whether the rest of my system would let me down when I got it home, rather than any aspect of the amp itself.
post #71 of 130 Old 03-21-2010, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

I got my M6i last month and love it very open sound sweet mid and a very tight bass. I was using the A5-5CDP but has a few problem so I got my money back but some where around June I will get the matching M6CDP

Here are some Pictures I do not have any Photos of my speakers but they are Krix Neuphonix but am upgrading them soon to get the full benefits of my MF gear.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
post #72 of 130 Old 03-27-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Great pics, I wish they would have put a light on the volume know so you can tell where it is in the dark! I have had the KW-500, a A5 and A5.5 and now a A3.5. I must say I didn't like the A5.5 but the others were excellent especially the KW-500!. I miss it, but have 3 kids so not as much time to listen, I am ironically looking at this piece or the Peachtree Nova for my office and just keeping my A3.5 in my main system, or moving my A3.5 to my office and getting the M6i.

One thing I find ironic about this thread, some one was stating these products would be around 9K, LOL boy were they way off... You can find them for $2500 new.

Just curious to K Shep if they had a chance to compare that PeachTree product to the M6i?

Thanks,

Gar
post #73 of 130 Old 03-28-2010, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

I most say am very happy with the M6i I have had the A5 and the A5-5 but had some Problems but the M6i is a step up for me in sound quality truly amazing gear. Am now waiting on the M6CDP to match my M6i.

Those People who said the M6 are going to cost 9k they had the AMS Series mixed up with the M6.
post #74 of 130 Old 03-29-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I most say am very happy with the M6i I have had the A5 and the A5-5 but had some Problems but the M6i is a step up for me in sound quality truly amazing gear. Am now waiting on the M6CDP to match my M6i.

Those People who said the M6 are going to cost 9k they had the AMS Series mixed up with the M6.

hdblu: Thanks for the input as I am looking to pull the trigger on one of these, I have some X-Series stuff and I still have a A3.5 which I still like. I had a KW-500 which was sweet, I do like the tube output stage that that unit had and the A1008 has. I can get a A1008 at a pretty good price, about half of what a M6i is now, so not sure which route I am going to go yet.
post #75 of 130 Old 04-12-2010, 09:18 PM

I agree.
post #76 of 130 Old 05-07-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Question, anyone had any experience with the new MF gear? I just heard the Amp and Pre/Amp combo and it sounded fantastic very good at imaging as usual but this stuff had more warm sound to it over there A series which I have had plenty of. A5/A5.5 and A3.5.
This reminded me of there KW series stuff, and I had a KW-500 which I loved, which I wish I never sold. So I pulled the trigger on a M6i in silver as with 3 kids this will have to do for a long while as they are draining my pocket book! LOL
post #77 of 130 Old 05-15-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like this thread has died.... I bought a M6i yesterday, beautiful piece and it sounded great but the right channel crapped out. Swapped out cables/CD player/Speaker Cables etc.. It went out 3 times, then I gave it a very slight tap on the top back by the speaker terminals and now it been playing with no problems for about 3 hours. Still going back for an exchange as some thing isn't right. Great imaging, very good bass, better than the A series gear that's for sure.
post #78 of 130 Old 05-16-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Looks like this thread has died.... I bought a M6i yesterday, beautiful piece and it sounded great but the right channel crapped out. .

"Crapped out" - meaning was silent?
I just bought M6i and M6CD. CD player came without front panel ))) and I also exchanged it. I guess chinese manufacture is not working right.

post #79 of 130 Old 05-17-2010, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Wow that is a scary looking CD Player, I bought the M6i about two months ago and love it I was also going to get the M6CDP but decided to wait, but No face what the hell is going on at MF, when I first looked at that it looked like a 20year old CDP. Did you unbox's the CD Player and no face plate what did you think? about that.

Garman that dose not sound to good sound like a wire inside cutting out. I would of thought the M6 Series are a lot better then the Old A5 series I have not had one problem with my M6i touch wood. anyway am happy you are liking the M6i apart from the channel cutting out by all means that NO RIGHT FOR MF.
post #80 of 130 Old 05-17-2010, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Someone should send that Picture to Anthony Michelson because that is ridiculous.
post #81 of 130 Old 05-17-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Did you unbox's the CD Player and no face plate what did you think? about that.

I have unpacked the double box myself - it was factory sealed, so this came directly to me. The tray was scotch-taped and the LCD panel was covered by PVC film as it is common.

But this is not the end of the story. The local dealer send me replacement M6CD unit. It worked 3 days and then it stopped to recognize any disks!!! It is giving some noise from inside (as if the head with laser-beam lense is knockin on someting) but after some 30 seconds just displays 'error'.

By the words 'worked for 3 days' I mean it did read the disks but had some problems whily playing back - sound disappeared from time to time for a fraction of a second.

I would write to whoever Anthony Michelson is but Musical Fidelity site does not have any online contact form or e-mails to write to. If anybody has that e-mails - please give me those, I really want to let them know this.
What a heck it is 4000$ unit, can be faulty but why on Earth for second time now!
Waiting for another replacement from the dealer.
post #82 of 130 Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 AM

There is another problem with M6CD which I cannot figure out - it is with its USB input on the DAC. While trying to stream 24\\96 sound out of PC with asio4all driver, it can accept 24\\48 signal only. I cannot check SPDIF or TOSLINK inputs as I do not have those outpust from my laptop. But this USB limitation is really strange..
post #83 of 130 Old 05-17-2010, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

That is not right for MF but I have had problems with my A5-5CDP I got it fixed it still did not work right in the end I got my money back and I decide to get the V-DAC from MF and the sound is very close to the A5-5CDP and a lot cheaper my be you should look at that also.

now a second time this is ridiculous this had put me of the M6CDP now after my past history with the A5-5CDP. what does your dealer think about this. I have had my M6i for a few months now and no problems so far. I will look around for a e-mail for you my dealer has met the had guy at MF Anthony Michelson. I hope it work for the third if not get you money back.

I will look into the USB for you I have a feeling that it does not upsample but I will look in it for you.

I Feel Sorry for you it most be a bad batch.
post #84 of 130 Old 05-18-2010, 12:00 AM

I would really like to have trouble-free CD unit of MF, rather than buy other CD-player: it had been very 'painful' process of finding the right sound for -89 dB speakers. I tested about 20 (!) different setups, even purchased one before I finally got the sound which suited me in all ways. Could not say I am a fan of Musical Fidelity brand before I started listening, and now the only problem is to get a trouble-free unit.
So, I will wait for another replacement. But anyway I would like to inform the production department that they do need to make something about the quality control.
post #85 of 130 Old 05-18-2010, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

I really like the sound of MF but they do need to get better department control I have had a few A5 Amplifier and return them but I keep going back because the sound quality is way above any think in that price range. I might buy the M6CDP in about august and I hope they have got better by then. What other brand did you test and way did you end-up with MF what did you like about them the most. When should you get your replacement M6CDP, Also have you been able to use the M6i and if so what do you think about it, I have had mean for a few months now I think I was the first one And just wondering what other people think about it.
post #86 of 130 Old 05-24-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

I found another review of the M6i Amplifier. http://www.avguide.com/review/musica...r-hifi-plus-71 enjoy
post #87 of 130 Old 05-25-2010, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxruss View Post

"Crapped out" - meaning was silent?
I just bought M6i and M6CD. CD player came without front panel ))) and I also exchanged it. I guess chinese manufacture is not working right.

LOL, what the hell! No front panel your kidding right. Plus the Chinese are not manufacturing these and hopefully will not be! I have more issues with Chinese made gear over the last several years that I will avoid it at all cost if possible. It is made in the lovely Island of Taiwan, which they tend to do much better work, along with Japan which still does great work. The Chinese have some catching up to do in the Audio/Video arena and they are in some areas.

As far as crapped out, not totally. There must be a short in the speaker terminal on the back of the unit. I switched several cables and switched speaker cable and it kept on cutting out. Ironically, I gave the back of the M6i a nice tap on the back of the unit and sure enough it started to work. Still swapping it out as I don't want a reoccurrence of this.
post #88 of 130 Old 05-25-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxruss View Post

I have unpacked the double box myself - it was factory sealed, so this came directly to me. The tray was scotch-taped and the LCD panel was covered by PVC film as it is common.

But this is not the end of the story. The local dealer send me replacement M6CD unit. It worked 3 days and then it stopped to recognize any disks!!! It is giving some noise from inside (as if the head with laser-beam lense is knockin on someting) but after some 30 seconds just displays 'error'.

By the words 'worked for 3 days' I mean it did read the disks but had some problems whily playing back - sound disappeared from time to time for a fraction of a second.

I would write to whoever Anthony Michelson is but Musical Fidelity site does not have any online contact form or e-mails to write to. If anybody has that e-mails - please give me those, I really want to let them know this.
What a heck it is 4000$ unit, can be faulty but why on Earth for second time now!
Waiting for another replacement from the dealer.

If your in the States try this place as they are the new distributor:

Tempo Sales & Marketing
P.O. Box 541443
Waltham
MA 02453
United States

Tel:1 617 314 9227
E-mail: info@temposales.net

I have owned a crap load of MF gear over the last 10 years and this is the first piece I have ever had issues with.
post #89 of 130 Old 05-27-2010, 04:30 AM

I wish to give my first (couple-of-weeks) impression. I have the pair M6i+M6CDP interconnected by Nordost Red Dawn linear (not balanced) cable. I have never been a MF fan and never even considered to have a MF separate, but this pair was chosen as the best solution after I tried about 12-15 integrated amps in up to $4000 range. The problem to find the right sound was my 89db 8 and 4 Ohm speakers - they are very difficult to handle. I was looking for very mild and warm but still clear, strong and precise sound. I did front testing between many amps - Moon, Unison Research, Roksan, Marantz (series 15), Nad, Naim and several tube amps. MF was seconded by Moon and after this two the rest seemed to play garbage rather than music.

I liked very much very the bass of MF - it is not booming but is exact and precise. Midrange is pleasant and warm.

Had some trouble to find the right cables, I tested some XLRs (but in the shop, not in home) and I found line inputs are better. Cannot explain why, just liked those more. I picked Nordost since it deliver the exact sound - I guess the amp's warmth is better to be transmitted than hidden or obscured by cable's properties. Still did not pick the speaker cables, so that's for the future.

Now what I do not like:
MF6CDP is advertised as CD\\DAC. While I cannot say anything bad about CD part, DAC is lame. MF manual and the web-site is not saying anything about DAC input capacities. They just mention 192\\24 upscaling feature. According to my local distributor (in Russia) SPDIF and Toslink and USB can accept only 48\\24 digital PCM. Well, that's surprise! I keep some hope that they can be mistaken and SPDIF can handle more - but that I still have to test myself. USB indeed cannot accept hi-resolution. The reason that I found is the recently announced stand-alone DAC by MF. We'll see reports about that, but I believe MF limited M6CDP digital input capacity for commerciall reasons in order to make customers buy stand-alone unit. This is unfair. In my case I would not like to buy a separate DAC for playing computer audio files - the best solution is to find network digital music player like Linn, Wadia or PS Audio.
post #90 of 130 Old 05-27-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Am happy you are liking the Combo.

You should be getting the right sound from the DAC what you are saying is right SPDIF and Toslink only can accept 48/24 and then inside the DAC (M6CDP) it up-samples it to 192/24. just remember a SPDIF and Toslink have limited bandwidth and never will do 192/24.

Can you upload some Pictures of your setup.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page