, avsforum" /> 2 Channel Audio" /> "the upgrade company" <component mods> - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1081 of 2187 Old 02-02-2010, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Here's a link to some before and after photos of what Dan Wright does in his Oppo mods. Dan spends months developing and testing modifications before release, modifies only a handful of items, and isn't camera shy about what he does.

Compare to photos in this thead of TUC parts swapping/foil/miracle damping fluids.

What... A... DIFFERENCE!!! Seems like all TUC does to the Oppo NFE is the typical foil, ferrites, and changes the rca's on the stereo output on the back of the player. Things that basically anyone with with a screwdriver could do on their own.

But hey, he makes it sound a like a 25k player!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2187 Old 02-02-2010, 08:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 192
It looks like Dan has added quite a bit of stuff in that Oppo. I wonder what it does.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #1083 of 2187 Old 02-02-2010, 08:33 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post

edit: I will of course pay for your pie making supplies and shipping costs for my hopefully delicious pie. And will share the results if anybody is interested.

Please send $10,000 for my supplies and $1,000 for shipping costs of making and delivering to you my Super Duper Signature Edition Mince Meat Pie.

I can't divulge the amounts and components that go into the pie, nor can I explain what secure shipping measures I've taken to deliver it. Secret ingredients and all that. Special box wrapping and sealant to ensure freshness is quite expensive (to you, at least).

One caveat: if you open the delivery box I send you, the contest is off and I won't be held responsible for the resulting taste.

Other than that, enjoy!

I have full confidence that my Mince Meat Pie is out of this world.

Some even call it heavenly!

In all seriousness, if you knew beforehand that your stock unit was gonna look like the examples provided in earlier posts, would you really have dropped money on this company?
post #1084 of 2187 Old 02-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Here's a link to some before and after photos of what Dan Wright does in his Oppo mods. Dan spends months developing and testing modifications before release, modifies only a handful of items, and isn't camera shy about what he does.

Compare to photos in this thead of TUC parts swapping/foil/miracle damping fluids.

Cool! how does it sound? Like Schultes or close? Maybe like a Nuforce Oppo too? Are ya gettin one or just going to pin up the pictures on your wall?
Does he test them against his other modded players or what does he use to test against. Do you have any graphs to show the differences? I wouldn't even dream of buying one of those without seeing the measurements first. Any trial period before diving into one of these or a money back guarantee of any kind?
post #1085 of 2187 Old 02-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Liked: 10
I agree as well I wouldn't dream of buying one without seeing measurements first.

So you have documentation of your DS mod before/after even trial period?

Mike
post #1086 of 2187 Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rno63 View Post

Any trial period before diving into one of these or a money back guarantee of any kind?

If I'm not satisfied and want to take advantage of this "money back guarantee" (which you seem to think no one else in the entire universe offers), does TUC scrap all that blue crap off my cables, circuit boards, capacitors, ICs, and everything else they smeared it over? Just curious...
post #1087 of 2187 Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool! how does it sound? Like Schultes or close? Maybe like a Nuforce Oppo too? Are ya gettin one or just going to pin up the pictures on your wall?
Does he test them against his other modded players or what does he use to test against. Do you have any graphs to show the differences? I wouldn't even dream of buying one of those without seeing the measurements first. Any trial period before diving into one of these or a money back guarantee of any kind?

You're missing the point. What Dave Schulte does, is extremely amateur and shows that he possess no technical or engineering skills whatsoever, whereas Dan Modwright clearly does.

The whole spiel that he carefully selects what and where to mod is completely contradicted by the pictures of the three components in this thread. From the photos shown, he DOES THE EXACT same things to every unit... foil, ferrite beads, blue paint, and some foam on the case...
post #1088 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodit View Post

In all seriousness, if you knew beforehand that your stock unit was gonna look like the examples provided in earlier posts, would you really have dropped money on this company?

In all seriousness, that's exactly what I did.

Me, and all the other repeat customers that keep going back to TUC. When I bought my Onkyo I couldn't wait to get the top off and have a look inside. But it was the listening that convinced me of the value of the mods. It was only AFTER I had seen inside that I bought my upgraded 3800, and after that the BDP-09 (which I haven't opened).

I'm sure that most of TUC's customers will be curious enough to have a look inside, and will therefore buy again in full knowledge of both what they look like inside, AND what they sound like (which is far more important). There are lots of people here who have formed opinions based on internal pictures they have seen, but NOT on anything that they have heard.

Having said all that, I'm impressed by what Modwright do to an Oppo. Modwright have been on my radar for a long time, and I'd be happy to own one of those. As to which sounds better, a Modwright Oppo or a TUC Oppo, I've absolutely no idea, they both sound like a great proposition.

Nick
post #1089 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Well at least with the Modwight job you can easily scope out what the circuitry that has been added does. A little schematic time on the original and a scope/meter will tell you.

BTW no matter what the mods do, the workmanship is top notch.

The TUC mod is still missing one important feature that will no doubt push the audio experience into the realm of Nirvana. 3 chicken feathers from a one legged chicken's belly and soaked in bat fat for a month should have been "blueglued" to the drive so that the music soars.
post #1090 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 AM

Liked: 12
Ah, we have A-B'd a couple of Modwright's OPPO 83SE's. Very Carefully. It is not even close to the performance of an Upgrade Company OPPO 83SE. Ever wonder why Dan Modwright has no satisfaction guarantee? The Upgrade Company has maintained a 100% Buy Back Gaurantee for years. Competitors simply cannot match our performance.
post #1091 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHiEndAudio View Post

Ah, we have A-B'd a couple of Modwright's OPPO 83SE's. Very Carefully. It is not even close to the performance of an Upgrade Company OPPO 83SE. Ever wonder why Dan Modwright has no satisfaction guarantee? The Upgrade Company has maintained a 100% Buy Back Gaurantee for years. Competitors simply cannot match our performance.

More hyperbole. Only reason you are responding is because there is a point of reference now for those who were unaware of what modifications can and are supposed to look like, and it is from a direct competitor.

Fact still remains, that your modifications expose your lack of technical and engineering skills. I'll say it again, anyone with a screwdriver, foil, ferrite beads, and blue paint can do what you do whereas you need to have a firm grasp and engineering background to do what Dan Modwright does.

Disclaimer: The statement below is a complete fabrication, but proves the point that what Mr. HiEndAudio posted above has is just more marketing and hold no weight.

To say that his mod was better, clearly has nothing to do with bias. (aside from the fact that blue paint, rca cans, and foil have no affect whatsoever on the audible playback capabilities of electrical components).

I too have compared your upgraded Oppo to the Modwright, and yours was a complete joke with all the blue pain, foil and swapped out rca cans.
post #1092 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 09:06 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Ah, we have A-B'd a couple of Modwright's OPPO 83SE's. Very Carefully. It is not even close to the performance of an Upgrade Company OPPO 83SE.

"very carefully" how? Would you care to share the measured data from both players and from stock? The details of the blind testing you conducted to verify this assertion? Photos showing details of your Oppo mods so that we may compare them to stock and to Dan's?

In the absence of this information, your post is simply another example of the sort of valueless marketing hype found so often in this thread except that, in this case, it's from the most self-interested possible source.
post #1093 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 301
I wonder when it'll dawn on this guy and his fanboy/sockpuppets that continuing to respond here is keeping this thread at the top of the forum, and allowing his critics to keep smearing his name, justly or not.

Seems an odd marketing strategy.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #1094 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Ah, we have A-B'd a couple of Modwright's OPPO 83SE's. Very Carefully.

Quote:

"very carefully" how?

By Capitalizing Every Word, That's How...
post #1095 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 09:51 AM

It does seem odd this marketing strategy doesn't it?

Reverse psychology maybe.

Anyway, it is affecting me in a strange way in that I'm almost wanting, craving actually,

to send off a piece of my gear to be transformed. The power of the TUC magnet is such

that I may no longer be in control of my audio senses.

Why not?

Please do not try to talk me out of this!

Mike
post #1096 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdferguson View Post

By Capitalizing Every Word, That's How...

A variation of the Jedi mind trick, I suppose.
post #1097 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

I wonder when it'll dawn on this guy and his fanboy/sockpuppets that continuing to respond here is keeping this thread at the top of the forum, and allowing his critics to keep smearing his name, justly or not.

Seems an odd marketing strategy.

Bad press is better than no press, look at AV123...
post #1098 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

As a TUC customer who was initially just as sceptical as everybody else here, and one who set out last year at great effort and expense to disprove the claims made about the modifications, and having seen TUC from both sides of the fence (unlike most here), some recognition of the lack of commensurate retaliation to such disrespect would be very much appreciated.

Thank you, Nick
post #1099 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 03:47 PM

So you were just as sceptical as everybody else and set out at great effort and expense to disprove the claims made about these modifications.

How did you go about disproving these claims?

How did you go about proving these claims?

Am I hearing you say that after the fact you had modifications done, and at great

expense and effort no doubt, that you expended even more effort and expense

attempting to convince the naysayers of TUC claims?

What exactly did you see (not hear) on TUC side of the fence?

I get the feeling that you come on just to help out in the marketing department.

If I'm wrong then please show me what led you at great expense and effort to convince yourself the modification was worth it.

Mike
post #1100 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:

I have not heard any Modwright or TUC modded components. Most likely I will not as both are out of my price range at this time. But if I was two things stand out in the post above as far as I am concerned.

First is the fact that Dave Schulte has chosen the user name "MrHiEndAudio" which without ever having read this thread tells me this person is quite impressed with himself. Second is it shows no class in the least for DS to slam someone with the reputation like Dan Wright. DS could not shine Dan Wrights shoes as far as I'm concerned.

Just one look at the list of components that Modwright has developed on their own on top of the mods they have done on many components for years. DS has clearly shown that he does not have the integrity to compete with someone such as Dan Wright. One look under the cover of one of TUC's modded components compared to the same from Modwright shows all I need to see.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1101 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:

Well at least with the Modwright unit you know what you are paying for and you do not void the warranty by removing the cover. It seems TUC's biggest hook is the money back guarantee.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1102 of 2187 Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Well at least with the Modwright unit you know what you are paying for and you do not void the warranty by removing the cover. It seems TUC's biggest hook is the money back guarantee.

Bill

Money back guarantee so long as you don't look under the hood.
post #1103 of 2187 Old 02-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilwerth View Post

So you were just as sceptical as everybody else and set out at great effort and expense to disprove the claims made about these modifications.
How did you go about disproving these claims?
How did you go about proving these claims?
Am I hearing you say that after the fact you had modifications done, and at great expense and effort no doubt, that you expended even more effort and expense attempting to convince the naysayers of TUC claims?
What exactly did you see (not hear) on TUC side of the fence?
I get the feeling that you come on just to help out in the marketing department.
If I'm wrong then please show me what led you at great expense and effort to convince yourself the modification was worth it.
Mike

http://www.avforums.com/forums/audio...kyo-sc885.html
post #1104 of 2187 Old 02-04-2010, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodit View Post

Please send $10,000 for my supplies and $1,000 for shipping costs of making and delivering to you my Super Duper Signature Edition Mince Meat Pie.

I'll pass. thanks anyway

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #1105 of 2187 Old 02-04-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

First is the fact that Dave Schulte has chosen the user name "MrHiEndAudio" which without ever having read this thread tells me this person is quite impressed with himself.

Yup, this had occurred to me as well. Rather than identify himself by his real name or his company name, he chose that self-inflated moniker. It speaks volumes.
post #1106 of 2187 Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 358
might we limit posts to technical issues rather than attacking other members?

[rhetorical question]
post #1107 of 2187 Old 02-04-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Well it looks to me like he is adding at least a balanced +4dbm standard output to the unit. In looking at the complexity of the added board on the left, it could be a complete new audio DAC rather than just an amplifier to get from -10dbm to +4dbm. In addition he has added a linear (quiet) power supply to feed this new audio board.

This is professional workmanship! It is also easy to understand how these mods will in fact improve audio performance. The "modder" also has a university level understandiung of electronics in order to build such boards.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #1108 of 2187 Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 AM

Nick, here is brief excerpt from thread you referred me to:

"I just had this reply from David Schulte (his e-mails are usually brief):

Quote:
Quote:
Hi David,

Someone just asked me this question (about the Onkyo 885 upgrade):

Is there any objective measurement data available that highlights the performance difference between stock and TUC modified unit?

I seem to recall you saying that a reduction in the noise floor had been measured - is that so, and do you have any measurements?

Thanks & regards, Nick

HI Nick,

Just measurements taken here, I do not have a printer to print them out however. The SE upgraded 885 has 10 fold increase in rejection of RFI interference, 8dB higher signal to noise ratio on all boards, more extended HF and LF response, flatter freq. response in pure direct, not rolled off at the HF and LF extremes like the stock unit.

David

Short of me paying somebody a lot of money to test my unit, I think this is all the objective information available.

Nick"

This excerpt from Oct 09 based on the shootout in which you arranged and participated in all by yourself.

I apologize for not reading the entire thread. Just needed to read your first post.

Looks like Dave took some measurements though and cited some truly impressive figures

of his modification referenced to a standard stock unit. Only he didn't have a printer at

the time to print those results.

At least he took measurements though, unlike you, yourself, and thy, determining based

on no measurements other than your ears and what sounded good to you. Also, based

on your 20 yr involvement withe electronic and audio systems.

The questioner in above excerpt is asking for objective measurable data as I am here.

Daves got those meaurements and I really don't believe that you do nor anyone of his

satisfied customers.

I will buy a printer for those exceptional measured results to be shown for all here.

I asked you legit questions and you referred me to a proceesor shootout arranged,

conducted, and the results determined by just you. Priceless!

The reason I write using double space is that no one will have to read between the

lines. I'm also taking English writing courses and need the practice.

I still would like you to answer my questions, and I think reasonable one's and

simpley stated, how you proved/disproved your theories?

Mike

Mike
post #1109 of 2187 Old 02-04-2010, 11:15 AM

"This is professional workmanship! It is also easy to understand how these mods will in fact improve audio performance. The "modder" also has a university level understandiung of electronics in order to build such boards."

Glimmie,

And I would add measurement results, credentials, licensing,

background, experience, etc. You get the picture.

In other words full disclosure and honorable business practices on demand, regarding

claims of improvement on my investment.

Mike
post #1110 of 2187 Old 02-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Keilwerth,

"Just measurements taken here, I do not have a printer to print them out however. The SE upgraded 885 has 10 fold increase in rejection of RFI interference, 8dB higher signal to noise ratio on all boards, more extended HF and LF response, flatter freq. response in pure direct, not rolled off at the HF and LF extremes like the stock unit".

"Daves got those meaurements and I really don't believe that you do nor anyone of his

satisfied customers".

I (all of us) have been waiting to see these measurements since page 1 of this thread. I have to wonder if they really exist.
Closed Thread 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page