Audioengine 5 vs. Swans M200MKIII - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-13-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, first time poster looking for opinions about these 2.0 speaker systems. I have seen/read many reviews about the A5's and much less of the M200MKIII. All of these reviews have been completely positive so I am somewhat torn.

If anyone has experienced listening to these two systems your input would be greatly appreciated. Of course all other advice will be valued highly too

If you had the budget for either of these which would you prefer? I know this is kind of vague but any kind of reasoning would be great.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-13-2009, 07:26 PM

I'm wondering about this as well. I'll keep looking but if I can't find much info over the next month I'll probably just get the Swans.

post #3 of 11 Old 12-24-2009, 03:45 PM

Me three! I need to fill 4000 cubic feet and I already have capable subwoofers. I am looking at this as audio for my Reciever and not a computer or I-phone. I am lookin into the P4 passive or HiVi (Swan) 6.1. I am also waiting for the new Arx (Acculine) to come out as I am excited about it's new bass technology and the Plainar tweeter. With the AudioEngine I have decided to at least try it out do to it's 30 day audition trial. This can't hurt and If I like it and am happy with it and surprisingly happens to fill 4000 cubic feet, I will keep it for sure!
post #4 of 11 Old 12-25-2009, 09:30 PM

The A5 is a great powered speaker system .....quality components and a sweet non-fatiguing sound. I purchased the Swan MKIII as a Christmas gift for myself and I am listening to them as I type this. All I can say is WOW! Theses babies sound amazing. The build quality is first rate.....there is real wood trim on these puppies. They easily fill my room with quality sound. They are in a different league ENTIRELY and they are only $50 bucks more than the A5.

You will NOT be disappointed in the Swans.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

I got the A5s a few days ago and have been very disappointed. They sound boomy as 80-350Hz is very overrepresented. They sound much better when I EQ them, but something is still missing. They just aren't fun to listen to. Maybe I'm just spoiled by AKG K701s... I don't know. My source is a high quality MHDT Constantine DAC by the way.

The Swans look nice, but they are also very big, which is something to keep in mind if you plan on using them on a desk as I do.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-02-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your great replies. Between now and the time I posted I did a little more research and few listening sessions with different monitors. I ended up going with the KRK RokitG2 6. I am sure it would have been a harder decision if I heard the M200KIII as well but unfortunately that option was not available I am extremely happy with my decision however the M200KIIIs will always be the ones that got away Here is a picture of my setup.

post #7 of 11 Old 01-03-2010, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm in exactly the same boat...looking to upgrade a Cambridge Soundworks 210D 2.1 system, however and I'd prefer to include a sub in the new setup since I do listen to trance, reggae and other genres of music reliant on lower bass. My budget is about $300-400 and have finally come up with the following options:

Swan M200MKIII with no sub = $400

KRK RokitG2 6 OR KRK RokitG2 8 with no sub = ~$400 (maybe have to get a used pair if going with the 8)

OR...

Used set of the original Swan M200's (from what I've read, mid/highs are actually better than the M200MKII) paired with a small HSU STF-1 or STF-2 subwoofer (hopefully I'll find used). Should be ~ $300-400.

I wouldn't really like to upgrade until I'm satisifed with a system that blows away the CSW 2.1 using a $300-400 budget.

On a side note, I was wondering what would be the best way to hook up my computer to the speakers and (possibly) sub using my on-board soundcard. I have digital optical out as well as the standard 3.5mm stereo jack. Obviously the optical would produce the cleanest sound output, but most subs/speakers do not have optical inputs. Any advice other than spending hundreds on a DAC? Maybe a cheaper alternative exists? Thanks!
post #8 of 11 Old 12-18-2013, 08:02 AM

It had been a long exhausting journey, now that i believe I have reached the final lap of finding that perfect 2.0 active speaker for my desktop. This is the final knock-out round.

i’ve only $300-$600 to part. Hence, speakers such as the Akimate and Beolab are beyond reach from the start.

The earlier contenders includes Audio Engine A5+, M-Audio BX8, Gibbons 5,KRK Rockit 5 and the underpowered kurzweil ks-40a. 

After multiple auditions and hours of research online and two parking fines i bought two sets of HIVI Swans the D1080IV and M200mkIII

Link to my review www.howestudios.com/HOWE_STUDIOS/Blog/Blog.html

post #9 of 11 Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Any one looking at desktop speakers should really check out the new JBL LSR305. They can be had as low as $240/pr. The midrange detail these things put out is stunning at this price range. If you're looking for an extremely neutral monitor you won't be disappointed.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-21-2013, 06:40 AM

how large are the jbls? thry look a bit big for a desktop online but its hard too tell
post #11 of 11 Old 12-21-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

They are smaller than the Rokit 6 pictured in the previous post but slightly larger than the Audioengine A5. Their dimensions are 7-1/4" x 9-7/8" x 11-3/4".
Reply 2-Channel Audio