Puzzled about why - Speaker Placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2010, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony System (LBT-XB88AV with SS-XB88V speakers, 4 way, 4 channel, bass reflex) manufactured in late nineties. I had connected the speakers with correct polarity but never noticed the Right and Left markings denoting the right and left speakers. I suffered a lot with unrealistic bass and very noisy mid to high frequency. The sound will crack even at 10 db cut at 4 KHz and 16 KHz bands and would marginally improve with a 6db cut on 1 KHz band (alongwith 10 db cuts on 4 KHz and 16 KHz). After being driven to frustration and finding nothing else to do I interchanged the speakers. The sound changed with deeper and more realistic bass and much smoother sound quality, on top of that I thought (don't laugh) I could visualise the instruments (not too clean, but at least it's something for me!). I thought the perception that I was listening to better quality sound was purely mental. However yesterday I found the R and L marks on the backside of the speakers and I had unknowingly placed the R on the right hand side and the L on the left hand side. I fail to understand why it happened as speakers are passive devices (at least mine are) and are supposed to be identical. Can anyone tell me if there is any scientific basis of getting to hear better quality music after placing the speakers on the correct sides as marked on them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did you put them back in *exactly* the same places? Very small differences can result in dramatic sonic changes. What you're describing sounds like typically issues from an untreated room. Like you, I can't for the life of me imagine why swapping the left for right or vice verse would matter with that kind of speaker.

Frank

Frank Oesterheld