Let's see pics of your stereo setup! - Page 34 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 122Likes

post #991 of 994 Old 01-19-2015, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile View Post
Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted here... I got an *awesome* thrift store score and thus have a new piece of gear to show off!

I found a near-mint Adcom GFA-2535 for TEN(!!!) BUCKS It has been in use for about 4-5 days now, and I've yet to see any issues at all.

It's a bit of an oddball, a 4 channel 60W amp with one (and only one) of the pairs being able to be bridged as a 200W mono. If/when it becomes time for a true preamp, it would be neat to have two pairs of outputs as I could truly bi-amp my speakers with my Adcom. Or, if I ever go the HT route, I will most likely hunt down a GFA-555 and use that for fronts, and then use my 2535 for the surrounds at 60w and the bridged mono for the center!

Soon to come is probably an additional shelf for the Salamander rack. It'll be a tight fit, but according to my handy-dandy laser heat reader, the new amp doesn't get much hotter than the PS3 when they are both in use (apx 105f)
Sweet..
aquaphile likes this.

loves...home theather/music/football:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 994 Old 01-25-2015, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So here's my setup...

Mine has been a longtime in the making. Since I basically started working, I've been dying to get a home setup that gave me a 5.1 setup for watching TV/Films but also doubled up as a sound system. So after auditioning and demo'ing gear for about 2 months, I finally settled on this:

Samsung 40 Inch TV
Sony STR-DN1050 AV Receiver
Cambridge Audio Minx Speakers (+ sub)
Sky HD / WDTV
Technics 1210 MK5 Turntable w/ Ortofon Elektro Cart (really want to upgrade to Ortofon Blue or Red)
Cambridge Audio Azur Phono Stage

The WDTV Live is used for streaming and Netflix. It's very buggy, but when it works it's great, and the sound decoding appears to be second to none. The setup took a while, but it was cheaper than Sonos and sounded a lot better.

For music, I bypass the 5.1 surround sound, and play music as 2.1. The speakers look tiny, but they really pack a punch, especially with the sub. Obviously purists might say it's a bit unbalanced (which it prob is), but it works for me. The Sony Amp is really fantastic, has Airplay, Bluetooth, and Spotify Connect so I can stream stuff from my Macbook or phone pretty easily. I use VOX to airplay FLAC on a Mac, but it's not the smoothest (and one of the reasons I'm genuinely thinking of converting all lossless into Apple format to make my life easier).

In the rack, there's some stuff that I don't use anymore. The Technics CD Player, and the Sherwood Amp stayed with me for like 10 years now, and they were cheap and amazing pieces of gear. I'm loathed to get rid of them. Maybe if I ever move into a house, I can set them up in a spare room.

So I got everything setup, and then realised "damn, I listen to half of my music when I'm in my bedroom". So staying on the Cambridge Audio theme, I got the Minx Air 200, which has absolutely amazing sound (the bass response is awesome) and is more than enough to fill a smaller room.

The final part of the listening setup is on the move. So I use Poweramp on Android, and the Bose Noise-Cancelling QC25s. They are incredible headphones, the quality of audio is stunning (and avoids the heavy bass that a lot of over-the-ears how have.

lulimet likes this.

Samsung 40 Inch TV, Sony STR-DN1050 AV Receiver, Cambridge Audio Minx Speakers (+ sub), Sky HD, WDTV Live, Playstation 4
post #993 of 994 Old Today, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Here's my modest setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140329_104555646_HDR.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	508066  
Rodrigues_Brazil likes this.
post #994 of 994 Old Today, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 2374
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus1 View Post
Here's my modest setup.

Nice!!

-
Rodrigues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Polk Audio Rti A9 Floorstanding Speaker , Rega , Sonus Faber , B W , Mcintosh Labs , Arcam , Denon , Vienna Acoustics , Auralex , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Marantz , Pioneer , Psb , Velodyne , Sonos , Nad , Polk Audio , Infinity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page