Let's see pics of your stereo setup! - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 236Likes

post #991 of 1071 Old 01-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile View Post
Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted here... I got an *awesome* thrift store score and thus have a new piece of gear to show off!

I found a near-mint Adcom GFA-2535 for TEN(!!!) BUCKS It has been in use for about 4-5 days now, and I've yet to see any issues at all.

It's a bit of an oddball, a 4 channel 60W amp with one (and only one) of the pairs being able to be bridged as a 200W mono. If/when it becomes time for a true preamp, it would be neat to have two pairs of outputs as I could truly bi-amp my speakers with my Adcom. Or, if I ever go the HT route, I will most likely hunt down a GFA-555 and use that for fronts, and then use my 2535 for the surrounds at 60w and the bridged mono for the center!

Soon to come is probably an additional shelf for the Salamander rack. It'll be a tight fit, but according to my handy-dandy laser heat reader, the new amp doesn't get much hotter than the PS3 when they are both in use (apx 105f)
Sweet..
aquaphile and trog69 like this.

loves...home theather/music/football:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1071 Old 01-24-2015, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So here's my setup...

Mine has been a longtime in the making. Since I basically started working, I've been dying to get a home setup that gave me a 5.1 setup for watching TV/Films but also doubled up as a sound system. So after auditioning and demo'ing gear for about 2 months, I finally settled on this:

Samsung 40 Inch TV
Sony STR-DN1050 AV Receiver
Cambridge Audio Minx Speakers (+ sub)
Sky HD / WDTV
Technics 1210 MK5 Turntable w/ Ortofon Elektro Cart (really want to upgrade to Ortofon Blue or Red)
Cambridge Audio Azur Phono Stage

The WDTV Live is used for streaming and Netflix. It's very buggy, but when it works it's great, and the sound decoding appears to be second to none. The setup took a while, but it was cheaper than Sonos and sounded a lot better.

For music, I bypass the 5.1 surround sound, and play music as 2.1. The speakers look tiny, but they really pack a punch, especially with the sub. Obviously purists might say it's a bit unbalanced (which it prob is), but it works for me. The Sony Amp is really fantastic, has Airplay, Bluetooth, and Spotify Connect so I can stream stuff from my Macbook or phone pretty easily. I use VOX to airplay FLAC on a Mac, but it's not the smoothest (and one of the reasons I'm genuinely thinking of converting all lossless into Apple format to make my life easier).

In the rack, there's some stuff that I don't use anymore. The Technics CD Player, and the Sherwood Amp stayed with me for like 10 years now, and they were cheap and amazing pieces of gear. I'm loathed to get rid of them. Maybe if I ever move into a house, I can set them up in a spare room.

So I got everything setup, and then realised "damn, I listen to half of my music when I'm in my bedroom". So staying on the Cambridge Audio theme, I got the Minx Air 200, which has absolutely amazing sound (the bass response is awesome) and is more than enough to fill a smaller room.

The final part of the listening setup is on the move. So I use Poweramp on Android, and the Bose Noise-Cancelling QC25s. They are incredible headphones, the quality of audio is stunning (and avoids the heavy bass that a lot of over-the-ears how have.

Samsung 40 Inch TV, Sony STR-DN1050 AV Receiver, Cambridge Audio Minx Speakers (+ sub), Sky HD, WDTV Live, Playstation 4
post #993 of 1071 Old 01-28-2015, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Here's my modest setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140329_104555646_HDR.jpg
Views:	1888
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	508066  
post #994 of 1071 Old 01-28-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 5597
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus1 View Post
Here's my modest setup.

Nice!!

turn on, tune up, rock out!
post #995 of 1071 Old 03-30-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by obagley View Post
I'm new here and recently decided to take the plunge and buy my first sound system, I think I'm hooked!

Some of your systems here are OUTSTANDING!
If I end up with a system even half as good as some of these I would be very happy.

Anyway, here's my modest little system I put together about 6 months ago.
It's a digital music system and I'm loving every minute I get to listen to it (Which is rare, as I have 2 toddlers at home!)

My system:

Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 V2
Cambridge Audio 651W Power Amplifier
Oppo 103D Disc Player
Neat Acoustics Motive 2 Speakers

[url]http://s902.photobucket.com/user/obagley1/media/stereo/IMG_20141214_125742_zpspqob2iem.jpg.html]

http://s902.photobucket.com/user/oba...haj3.jpg.html]

http://s902.photobucket.com/user/oba...wes2.jpg.html]

Nice and clean, I bet your young ones love dancing to it!!!
jabkata and trog69 like this.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #996 of 1071 Old 03-30-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Here's mine:

Power: Emotiva XPA-1L's & Rotel RMB 1077
Pre/Pro: Anthem Statement D1 with ARC
Speakers: B&W 703's Mains, B&W HTM7 Center,B&W DS7 Rears
Subwoofer: REL Strata III Sub
DVD: SDI Mod Sony DVD DVP-CX777es DVD Changer
DVD Manager: Escient DVDM-100
Scaler: ISCAN VP-50
Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-105D
Plasma: Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Headphone Rig: Mjolnir/Gungnir Headphone Amp/DAC
Headphones: Audeze LCD2.2's & Mr Speaker Alpha Dogs

Primary listening, 2 channel Lossless streaming through Oppo. I LOVE it!

Wow, this is one my favorite set ups!!! The gear and speakers are top notch, but your décor is just awesome! I'm not much of a living room guy, but when my living room grows up, I want it to look like this ! !

Very clean, the in/wall rack is sweet, simple edge trim but very classy. The entire flow is meticulous but relaxed, well laid out. Anyone questioning any part of this set up is looking at it with their eyes closed

Dude, I'm really impressed, so, can I come and hang out, for life ?
jabkata likes this.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #997 of 1071 Old 03-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Wow, this is one my favorite set ups!!! The gear and speakers are top notch, but your décor is just awesome! I'm not much of a living room guy, but when my living room grows up, I want it to look like this ! !

Very clean, the in/wall rack is sweet, simple edge trim but very classy. The entire flow is meticulous but relaxed, well laid out. Anyone questioning any part of this set up is looking at it with their eyes closed

Dude, I'm really impressed, so, can I come and hang out, for life ?
Ultimate compliment!

Thank you And yes, you can hang out, for sure

PS: I upgraded to an Anthem D1 with ARC. Two channel is phenomenal!

Last edited by fmzip; 03-30-2015 at 06:52 PM.
post #998 of 1071 Old 04-03-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Here's mine - but the speakers are being changed out tonight for "something better" I am using the LS50 in the interim as I just sold my Joseph Audio Perspectives.

Associated Equipment:
Mojo Audio Modified Mac Mini Music Server w/Solid State Drive and Mojo Audio External Power Source
Aesthetix Pandora Signature DAC w/Volume Control
Theta Prometheus Monoblocks
KEF LS50 (soon to be replaced)
Grover Huffmann Interconnects, Speaker Cables and Power Cords
BPT 2.5 Balanced Power for Mac Mini and Aesthetix Pandora
GIK Room Treatments
Speakers, Listening Chair and Acoustic treatments set up symmetrically to +/- 1mm with Fluke 419D laser distance meter
post #999 of 1071 Old 04-03-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxguy View Post
Here's mine - but the speakers are being changed out tonight for "something better" I am using the LS50 in the interim as I just sold my Joseph Audio Perspectives.

Associated Equipment:
Mojo Audio Modified Mac Mini Music Server w/Solid State Drive and Mojo Audio External Power Source
GIK Room Treatments
Speakers, Listening Chair and Acoustic treatments set up symmetrically to +/- 1mm with Fluke 419D laser distance meter

Love it, love it, love it!!! The solitary chair is awesome. Escape from the world with some amazing sounding music. What could be better.

You have to tell us what speakers you are getting!!!
post #1000 of 1071 Old 04-03-2015, 10:27 AM

I'll post pictures when they're all set up
post #1001 of 1071 Old 04-03-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Fair enough, thanks.

Question about your first reflection panels. Are they absorption only or are the the kind with the slats in them? thanks
post #1002 of 1071 Old 04-03-2015, 10:56 AM

First on the wall is absorption, second is diffusion. First on angled portion of ceiling is diffusion. Cloud at first reflection on ceiling is absorption.

Last edited by saxguy; 04-03-2015 at 11:19 AM.
post #1003 of 1071 Old 04-03-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
First on the wall is absorption, second is diffusion. First on angled portion of ceiling is diffusion. Cloud at first reflection on ceiling is absorption.
I found that I like the sound better with the first panels taken down (they were absorption) however my speakers are closer to the side walls than yours so it could be that the reflection is quicker to my ears so it doesn't muddy up the sound while at the same time making the soundstage appear wider and more open while in your room the reflections get to your ears much later - messing up the sound so using absorption makes sense.

I'm planning on trying out some GIK diffusion panels in those first reflection points to see what I think at some point. I have absorption on the ceiling and also at the opposite first reflection from each speaker (panel on right wall absorbs first reflection from left speaker and same on the other side).
post #1004 of 1071 Old 04-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Now THAT'S a dedicated 2 Channel Setup!

NICE!
post #1005 of 1071 Old 04-11-2015, 12:52 PM

So today is the day. Finally, I get to showoff my new Blade 2s

We decided to have a listen in today and we invited one of our most critical listener - Chris Lehner. Chris is one of the most die hard audiophiles we've ever met and we have the utmost respect for his ears.

Chris drove from Maryland to NJ to our audiophile listening event and we had a blast! Also here was Craig Shumer of Theatermax and some of you may know that him and I are involved in some Audio endeavors together. Craig is Authorized Kef, Theta, Aesthetix and lots more and of course helps us get the most amazing products at attainable prices.. We sat and played for hours drooling over what was going to blow our minds next. When a system reaches this level of sonics you can’t wait to put on another track to see what it can do. Time was flying and before we knew it we wanted to hear some other components in the system which Chris has brought with him.. We tested some Wyred for Sound Mono’s which are much less expensive and they did very well. They drove the Blades surprisingly well for the money and kept the sound stage really nice. Not quite like the Prometheus Monos but very very nice.

As a reference we stuck with the Theta Prometheus Mono's, the KEF Blade 2 and the Aesthetix Pandora Signature DAC. For Chris, this was the first time hearing the Blade 2 and I think he's really blown away. He seemed to have a big smirk on his face. We listened to a variety of Different tracks. Chris brought up a nice selection of DSD files in addition to my music library. As they continue to break in our excitement grows as we can not believe what comes out of these speakers. Lets not forget we have the Theta Prometheus Mono’s using the Hypex Ncore 1200 amp modules with Linear power which not only does Stereophile love but its our Reference Amplifier at this point. I am not sure there is a better amp on the market but thats just us and Stereophile saying that

We have had Aerials and Josephs and others as well on these amps but we have never heard anything like the Blade 2 and Prometheus combo. I'm sure Chris will be posting something as soon as he gets home.

Chris also had another reason for his trip and this is super exciting as well. He came up to get from Craig his long awaited KEF Reference 1 Speakers. The Reference 1 from what we read is going to be amazing and if we had more time we probably would have opened them and gave them a try but time flies when your having this much fun. Chris also had a long trip back and I know he wanted to get home to start to break in his new Ref 1s. I am sure he will be posting about that as well.

I'll keep updating as the speakers break in.

carp, edfowler, hotrodguy and 9 others like this.

Last edited by saxguy; 04-12-2015 at 10:37 AM.
post #1006 of 1071 Old 04-11-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 74
now THAT is NICE!!!
post #1007 of 1071 Old 04-11-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
now THAT is NICE!!!
You should hear it! I'm still gathering myself; and then I'll share thoughts.

I can start with WoW

SYSTEMS-
#1: Aurender N100>Ayre QB-9 DSD>Ayre AX-7>KEF Reference 1s/PMC Twenty 26s
#2: C.A.P.S.>SOtM sDP-1000>Wyred4Sound mAMPS>Dynaudio X-14s

Founder-E.S.A.C. esac.club
post #1008 of 1071 Old 04-11-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Wow is an understatement. I guess I will just have to live vicariously through your experiences.

HT: CM9 S2 FR/FL, CMC2 S1, CM5 S1 surrounds, ASW610; Yamaha rx-a2030; Parasound Halo P5; Parasound Halo A23; Oppo BDP-93; ATV
2 Channel (computer setup): Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT FR/FL, ASW608; Parasound Zpre2; Parasound Zampv3; Parasound Zdac; Parasound Zphono; Rega RP1; Marantz CD5004

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #1009 of 1071 Old 04-13-2015, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
post #1010 of 1071 Old 04-14-2015, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Ultimate compliment!

Thank you And yes, you can hang out, for sure

PS: I upgraded to an Anthem D1 with ARC. Two channel is phenomenal!
Yes, your entire setup and decor is incredible! Well done! I think you just sold me on building my own AV rack in the wall

MY Build in Progress >>> My Home Theater Build
Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500, KEF 3005 5.1, Marantz SR6003
HT: Selection in progress
In storage: Mirage M7si, Mirage LF-150, Marantz SR7200
post #1011 of 1071 Old 04-14-2015, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Just jumped on to say, zuluwalker, I'll be darned, I had that exact sofa for my listening room! Same fabric on the pillows and everything (except mine was a single seat cushion). It is just about the most comfortable sofa ever. I had to get rid of it, sold it to a friend, when I turned my 2 channel room into a home theater room and needed more seating. The only way I managed a sofa as comfortable was designing the new one myself.

Still, whenever I'm at my pal's house in his listening room, I'm sitting on that old sofa and it's still like a womb.

Anyway.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

post #1012 of 1071 Old 04-14-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Be it ever so humble
new LCR
nests nicely under the TV
performs . . . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LCRF0804.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	479.5 KB
ID:	666554  
ambesolman and pioneertop like this.

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , Emotiva UPA7, for 7.3.4 ATMOS/DSU SHARP 80" LED/LCD
FL/FR: DIYSG Fusion 15's , Center: DIYSG 88 Special , SL/SR: RC3II , SRL/SRR: F-3Towers, TF & TR: SLX
2 30" BF THTLP'S , SUBMAXIMUS, 2 x Inuke6000DSP & 2 driverless LHORN cabs
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/401-di...rs-subwoofers/
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
post #1013 of 1071 Old 04-15-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Sweet DIY grills

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #1014 of 1071 Old 04-16-2015, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoepup View Post
Yes, your entire setup and decor is incredible! Well done! I think you just sold me on building my own AV rack in the wall
Thanks for the compliments
post #1015 of 1071 Old 04-17-2015, 03:11 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:

Associated Equipment:
GIK Room Treatments
cool but lonely!
post #1016 of 1071 Old 04-17-2015, 03:14 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
So today is the day. Finally, I get to showoff my new Blade 2s

I'll keep updating as the speakers break in.

Very nice I am wondering how good they sound! Too bad you are on the other side of the world for me
post #1017 of 1071 Old 04-17-2015, 03:15 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here's mine:

Power: Emotiva XPA-1L's & Rotel RMB 1077
Pre/Pro: Anthem Statement D1 with ARC
Speakers: B&W 703's Mains, B&W HTM7 Center,B&W DS7 Rears
Subwoofer: REL Strata III Sub
DVD: SDI Mod Sony DVD DVP-CX777es DVD Changer
DVD Manager: Escient DVDM-100
Scaler: ISCAN VP-50
Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-105D
Plasma: Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Headphone Rig: Mjolnir/Gungnir Headphone Amp/DAC
Headphones: Audeze LCD2.2's & Mr Speaker Alpha Dogs

Primary listening, 2 channel Lossless streaming through Oppo. I LOVE it!

Very nice decoration love the lamps
jabkata likes this.
post #1018 of 1071 Old 04-17-2015, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Very nice decoration love the lamps

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429312249.801043.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	671529

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #1019 of 1071 Old 04-17-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Very nice I am wondering how good they sound! Too bad you are on the other side of the world for me
In a word? Amazing!

SYSTEMS-
#1: Aurender N100>Ayre QB-9 DSD>Ayre AX-7>KEF Reference 1s/PMC Twenty 26s
#2: C.A.P.S.>SOtM sDP-1000>Wyred4Sound mAMPS>Dynaudio X-14s

Founder-E.S.A.C. esac.club
post #1020 of 1071 Old 04-23-2015, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Amazing systems!

Wow...definitely my favorite thread on AVS so far! I'm just posting a "test" picture of my new space. I should have the rest of it set up in the next three weeks and will post the rest of the pictures. In this picture are my two custom Bottlehead pieces - the Eros phono stage and the Crack headphone amp. Both were assembled by Shawn Phelps with custom bases by John Rutter. Both have upgraded Mundorf caps, Vampire jacks, TKD volume pot, etc. They are both great performers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10427252_10205524545049679_8342561772828197102_n.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	681993  
edfowler and Rodrigues_Brazil like this.

"The problem with the world is me" - G.K. Chesterton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Polk Audio Rti A9 Floorstanding Speaker , Rega , Sonus Faber , B W , Mcintosh Labs , Arcam , Denon , Vienna Acoustics , Auralex , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Marantz , Pioneer , Psb , Velodyne , Sonos , Nad , Polk Audio , Infinity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page