Let's see pics of your stereo setup! - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1813Likes

post #1351 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Chane A3rx-c & A2rx-c, HSU VTF-15h rosewood, Arcam AVR300, Panny DMP-BDT500 transport & FLAC Source, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport. Cable management has obviously not been realized, lol.

Rear inside corner of the A3rx-c is 34.5" from back wall, rear outside corner is 36" from back wall. Inside corner of plinth is 22" from front corner of media rack.

Butford,

That's impressive layout possibilities you have there; your gear looks like it's ready to rock (I alluded to this in a previous post; that for gear like yours, it would be taken to the next level with some improved ergonomics)! Push those towers back towards the wall to flank the display (unless you pulled them out for picture effect) and tie up some of those cables and you're golden. Did you ever consider a "racetrack" to conceal the wiring coming down from the TV?
BufordTJustice likes this.

5.1: ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 5913
IntelliVolume,

Unless I've overlooked it in the search field of this thread I see no pics of your set up. If I'm wrong I apologize. If not, I'd like to maybe get an idea of what good wire management may be. Thanks for your consideration.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #1353 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane View Post
IntelliVolume,

Unless I've overlooked it in the search field of this thread I see no pics of your set up. If I'm wrong I apologize. If not, I'd like to maybe get an idea of what good wire management may be. Thanks for your consideration.

I see someone else is again attempting to bait me in this constant hoopla regarding the other member's system pics; you know, pretty well Arcane, that you are most certainly NOT attempting to "get an idea of what good wire management should be" and instead are attempting to suggest that my comments about his wires are somehow "uncalled for" when I mean ABSOLUTELY NO disrespect to this member or his gear. I'm not defending my stance about this any further save to say I'm not the only one in human history that has voiced an opinion on forums such as these regarding cable/wire management and how a setup can look so much more impressive if cables and interconnects aren't running all over a room in hundreds of directions; his gear is nice. His room is nice. It would look even more awesome with everything cable managed a bit more.

Both my systems -- two channel and 5.1 -- are set up so that no wires/interconnects are showing, or are running through specialized cable management tunnels alongside the racks. My 5.1 system is in a beautiful entertainment center and nothing is showing from the front -- all wiring in the back of the unit is bundled up with ties according to function (speaker cabling. power, etc).

Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
post #1354 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Love the setup!
Lots of open space,

Any future plans?
Thank you. Another sub if the wife gives her approval. Likely another HSU. I'd change their tuning to single port open mode at that point. It's in 2 ports open now.

Arcam AVR300, Adcom GFA-5500 (Main L+R), Panny BDT-500 Media Transport, Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Darbee DVP-5000S, Chane A2.4 mains, Chane A3rx-c surrounds, Center TBD, 18" XBL2/SplitGap 4th order Bandpass subwoofer x 2 (custom build), BJC ten-white w/ ultrasonically welded WBT locking banana connectors.
post #1355 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. Another sub if the wife gives her approval. Likely another HSU. I'd change their tuning to single port open mode at that point. It's in 2 ports open now.

Hey Buford,

As your post has been the subject of heated debate and some controversy, I want to express to you that I think your gear is great -- I just wanted to suggest tying some of that cabling up so the room looks less cluttered (unless that's your preference); would you consider a racetrack concealer for your TV's wires down the wall?

2-CHANNEL:
post #1356 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Butford,

That's impressive layout possibilities you have there; your gear looks like it's ready to rock (I alluded to this in a previous post; that for gear like yours, it would be taken to the next level with some improved ergonomics)! Push those towers back towards the wall to flank the display (unless you pulled them out for picture effect) and tie up some of those cables and you're golden. Did you ever consider a "racetrack" to conceal the wiring coming down from the TV?
Thank you. I found that, according to the thread over at HTS, these towers really began to throw a monster image (tall, wide, and deep) when pulled away from the back wall. They didn't sound bad even 12" from the back wall, but imaging was transformed for the better once they were brought out into the room.

I've been eyeballing some cable covers, but must are too narrow to swallow all the cables going to the t.v.

I'm fortunate enough to have an accommodating wife, no kids, and no pets.

Arcam AVR300, Adcom GFA-5500 (Main L+R), Panny BDT-500 Media Transport, Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Darbee DVP-5000S, Chane A2.4 mains, Chane A3rx-c surrounds, Center TBD, 18" XBL2/SplitGap 4th order Bandpass subwoofer x 2 (custom build), BJC ten-white w/ ultrasonically welded WBT locking banana connectors.
post #1357 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. I found that, according to the thread over at HTS, these towers really began to throw a monster image (tall, wide, and deep) when pulled away from the back wall. They didn't sound bad even 12" from the back wall, but imaging was transformed for the better once they were brought out into the room.

I've been eyeballing some cable covers, but must are too narrow to swallow all the cables going to the t.v.

I hear you; I have a most accommodating wife and no kids as well (but pets in the form of a dog and fancy Calico goldfish).

I merely made my suggestions based on how your room could look transformed, in my opinion, with some "touch ups" such as hiding the wires better, making the speakers seem more "linear" with the main wall/display, etc...if there is a SONIC difference you're experiencing by keeping the speakers that far out, then that's another thing. You gotta do what sounds best, I suppose; I would never leave speakers that far out into a room, personally, but that's merely my humble opinion (my Polk RTi12 towers in my 5.1 setup equally flank the entertainment system at the heart of our room so everything looks in symmetry AND sounds good with little, if any, toe-in).

2-CHANNEL:
post #1358 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
I see someone else is again attempting to bait me in this constant hoopla regarding the other member's system pics; you know, pretty well Arcane, that you are most certainly NOT attempting to "get an idea of what good wire management should be" and instead are attempting to suggest that my comments about his wires are somehow "uncalled for" when I mean ABSOLUTELY NO disrespect to this member or his gear. I'm not defending my stance about this any further save to say I'm not the only one in human history that has voiced an opinion on forums such as these regarding cable/wire management and how a setup can look so much more impressive if cables and interconnects aren't running all over a room in hundreds of directions; his gear is nice. His room is nice. It would look even more awesome with everything cable managed a bit more.

Both my systems -- two channel and 5.1 -- are set up so that no wires/interconnects are showing, or are running through specialized cable management tunnels alongside the racks. My 5.1 system is in a beautiful entertainment center and nothing is showing from the front -- all wiring in the back of the unit is bundled up with ties according to function (speaker cabling. power, etc).
Care to post pictures?

Being serious.
citizen arcane likes this.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 3 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #1359 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I hear you; I have a most accommodating wife and no kids as well (but pets in the form of a dog and fancy Calico goldfish).

I merely made my suggestions based on how your room could look transformed, in my opinion, with some "touch ups" such as hiding the wires better, making the speakers seem more "linear" with the main wall/display, etc...if there is a SONIC difference you're experiencing by keeping the speakers that far out, then that's another thing. You gotta do what sounds best, I suppose; I would never leave speakers that far out into a room, personally, but that's merely my humble opinion (my Polk RTi12 towers in my 5.1 setup equally flank the entertainment system at the heart of our room so everything looks in symmetry AND sounds good with little, if any, toe-in).
Yeah, aesthetics take a back seat to sonic performance for me. Honestly, it's kinda an ugly setup in my view, but it sounds amazing. I found that destructive reflections from proximity to the t.v. screen harmed the focus and depth of the center image. The t.v. used to sit on top of the center channel; so it got wall mounted and the speakers brought out another 10" or so and VOY-LUH! Everything gelled. The sound in stereo extends well beyond the outside edges of the speakers, yet vocals and on center action are tightly focused in the center (about the size of a softball, sometimes smaller). On jazz recordings, everything is smoothly spread about the front sound stage, with each musician's position easily discernible.

Upon experimenting with toe in, adjusting that in fine increments, using a laser and tape measure, became critical. Imaging was noticeably inferior with the interior rear corner of the cabs at 34 & 3/8", and the outside rear corners at 35 & 5/8" from the rear wall. The front focus became smeared and shallow.

post #1360 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:

You and your ocd would hate my room

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #1361 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

IntelliVolume

You're preaching to the choir dude. Enclosed are wiring from one of my listening rooms (I like wire management as well )

I put this channel along the mantel when I decided to add a second sub on the other side of the room

These are from my projector/cable box/7 inch lcd screen (for viewing the avr settings)/dvd player to my avr and Mc amp

My wife and I spent the better part of a July day pulling about 15 wires through this room before finishing up the installation. Am very happy with the outcome.

Edit:

I'd still like to see your installation.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

Last edited by citizen arcane; 12-27-2015 at 06:42 PM.
post #1362 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
How you likin' those RTi12s, James? I'm rocking 'em as main channels in my HT...
Great speakers! Im using tsi500 as surrounds and rears that were my fronts for a few years. Then I got these and one thing Ive learned with Polk floor speakers is when you have an amplifier tied to them they really sing!
post #1363 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Care to post pictures?

Being serious.

No, you're most certainly not being serious. And if you continue to bait me again for no reason other than feeling like picking on someone here, I'm going to inform the mods once more.

2-CHANNEL:
post #1364 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, aesthetics take a back seat to sonic performance for me.

Well, there it is in a nutshell; if that's your stance, that's your stance -- and that's cool.

2-CHANNEL:
post #1365 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
You and your ocd would hate my room

Most definitely.

2-CHANNEL:
post #1366 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McCarty View Post
Great speakers! Im using tsi500 as surrounds and rears that were my fronts for a few years. Then I got these and one thing Ive learned with Polk floor speakers is when you have an amplifier tied to them they really sing!

All Polk speakers don't necessarily need a big power amp to "sing," from my experience; once you start getting into the LSi line (some argue the RTi12's as well, but mine TOTALLY and satisfactorily fill our listening space with more than enough SPL with an Onkyo AVR crossed over at 60Hz for the mains, running a sub) that's another story as those are power-sappin', low-impedance/low sensitivity monsters of another pedigree.

2-CHANNEL:
post #1367 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
IntelliVolume

You're preaching to the choir dude. Enclosed are wiring from one of my listening rooms (I like wire management as well )

I put this channel along the mantel when I decided to add a second sub on the other side of the room

These are from my projector/cable box/7 inch lcd screen (for viewing the avr settings)/dvd player to my avr and Mc amp

My wife and I spent the better part of a July day pulling about 15 wires through this room before finishing up the installation. Am very happy with the outcome.

Edit:

I'd still like to see your installation.

Merry Christmas, dude.

2-CHANNEL:
post #1368 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Back on topic:

One of my primary 2 channel rooms - vintage Norman Lab 10s, Emotiva SB 12sx2, Yamaha pre and MC 2205. Nice.

I'll be changing this out in the next few days.........more pics to come.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #1369 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Here's mine, or what I can fit into an iPhone viewfinder anyway.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 9.34.26 PM.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1145642  

Spoiler!
post #1370 of 2163 Old 12-27-2015, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4187 Post(s)
Liked: 9016
Quote:
Back on topic:

Spoiler!

One of my primary 2 channel rooms - vintage Norman Lab 10s, Emotiva SB 12sx2, Yamaha pre and MC 2205. Nice.

Nice pic. I'm a fan of Macs. Quick question; do you have your subs on end tables?

post #1371 of 2163 Old 12-28-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Back on topic:

I love that I don't even see your gear. in your pic. I alway try to get everything hidden, I just want to hear the sound not look at a light show.
azz7686 and James McCarty like this.
post #1372 of 2163 Old 12-28-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
All Polk speakers don't necessarily need a big power amp to "sing," from my experience; once you start getting into the LSi line (some argue the RTi12's as well, but mine TOTALLY and satisfactorily fill our listening space with more than enough SPL with an Onkyo AVR crossed over at 60Hz for the mains, running a sub) that's another story as those are power-sappin', low-impedance/low sensitivity monsters of another pedigree.
My receiver recommends 80Hz. Whats the advantage of 60Hz?
post #1373 of 2163 Old 12-28-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My receiver recommends 80Hz. Whats the advantage of 60Hz?
James,

The "recommended" 80Hz setting is steeped in the traditions of THX certification's heyday, and is often considered an "all around good crossover point" for most speakers. However, if speakers are larger and have more potential bass output to add to the system -- such as the mega-large RTi12's -- dropping the crossover to 60Hz allows the speakers to "flex some more of their muscle" in the bass department while also sending off super-low bass to a sub; if speakers are of the smaller tower or bookshelf/satellite variety, 80Hz is fine.

In my setup, I have the RTi12's at a 60Hz crossover so that they dig a little deeper in the low end -- because they're pretty capable full-range speakers on their own -- while also allowing my sub to handle all frequencies below 60...in this way, I'm still not taxing my receiver's amp by running the RTi12's full-range, but they're still able to pump out a little low end to complement the sub...

Please let me know if this is confusing and I'll find a way to make it clearer.
ambesolman likes this.

2-CHANNEL:

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 12-28-2015 at 02:41 PM.
post #1374 of 2163 Old 12-28-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Nice pic. I'm a fan of Macs. Quick question; do you have your subs on end tables?
Yes I do, also have OC 703 beneath the portion they're on.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #1375 of 2163 Old 12-28-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
James,

The "recommended" 80Hz setting is steeped in the traditions of THX certification's heyday, and is often considered an "all around good crossover point" for most speakers. However, if speakers are larger and have more potential bass output to add to the system -- such as the mega-large RTi12's -- dropping the crossover to 60Hz allows the speakers to "flex some more of their muscle" in the bass department while also sending off super-low bass to a sub; if speakers are of the smaller tower or bookshelf/satellite variety, 80Hz is fine.

In my setup, I have the RTi12's at a 60Hz crossover so that they dig a little deeper in the low end -- because they're pretty capable full-range speakers on their own -- while also allowing my sub to handle all frequencies below 60...in this way, I'm still not taxing my receiver's amp by running the RTi12's full-range, but they're still able to pump out a little low end to complement the sub...

Please let me know if this is confusing and I'll find a way to make it clearer.
Makes complete sense! One more question! You said "by running the rti12's full-range" Do you have them set to large or small while doing this? Reason I ask cause I read many times to set them to small.
post #1376 of 2163 Old 12-28-2015, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Makes complete sense! One more question! You said "by running the rti12's full-range" Do you have them set to large or small while doing this? Reason I ask cause I read many times to set them to small.

Oh, no, all I meant by "full range" is that, if installed with no sub (like, for, say a music-only system), the RTi12's are capable on their own of creating nice bass...that was simply more motivation for me to set them to 60Hz in my situation because they can still provide some of that low end while really low frequencies are sent off to the sub -- this relieves the strain on the receiver's amp big time because it doesn't have to reproduce bass frequencies (which require more power).

Here's the summary: If you ARE running a subwoofer in the system, speakers like the RTi12's can be crossed over at 60Hz (setting that inside the receiver). Without a sub, the speakers can be run full-range, but I don't recommend full range AND sub together (what Onkyo likes to call "Double Bass" in their AVRs) as there's too much chance for bass cancellation, overlap, muddy bottoming-out, etc.

Edit: I see that I may not have answered your question -- were you asking if you set the speakers to LARGE or SMALL inside the AVR when setting crossover points? If so, when picking a specific crossover frequency, the setting in the receiver should be "SMALL," and if setting the speakers to full-range so they run on their own without a sub, the setting in the receiver should be "LARGE"...

It gets somewhat confusing, I know, because AVR manufacturers choose different ways to set this up in their menus; Onkyo, for example, which I'm very familiar with, doesn't ask you to choose "large" or "small" for the speaker setup in their newer models (my 605 applies here too), instead asking you to choose "SUBWOOFER YES/NO" and then going on to ask you to select specific crossover points if you chose "SUBWOOFER: YES"...

2-CHANNEL:

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 12-28-2015 at 06:05 PM.
post #1377 of 2163 Old 12-28-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, no, all I meant by "full range" is that, if installed with no sub (like, for, say a music-only system), the RTi12's are capable on their own of creating nice bass...that was simply more motivation for me to set them to 60Hz in my situation because they can still provide some of that low end while really low frequencies are sent off to the sub -- this relieves the strain on the receiver's amp big time because it doesn't have to reproduce bass frequencies (which require more power).

Here's the summary: If you ARE running a subwoofer in the system, speakers like the RTi12's can be crossed over at 60Hz (setting that inside the receiver). Without a sub, the speakers can be run full-range, but I don't recommend full range AND sub together (what Onkyo likes to call "Double Bass" in their AVRs) as there's too much chance for bass cancellation, overlap, muddy bottoming-out, etc.

Edit: I see that I may not have answered your question -- were you asking if you set the speakers to LARGE or SMALL inside the AVR when setting crossover points? If so, when picking a specific crossover frequency, the setting in the receiver should be "SMALL," and if setting the speakers to full-range so they run on their own without a sub, the setting in the receiver should be "LARGE"...

It gets somewhat confusing, I know, because AVR manufacturers choose different ways to set this up in their menus; Onkyo, for example, which I'm very familiar with, doesn't ask you to choose "large" or "small" for the speaker setup in their newer models (my 605 applies here too), instead asking you to choose "SUBWOOFER YES/NO" and then going on to ask you to select specific crossover points if you chose "SUBWOOFER: YES"...
You answered my question. I just misunderstood the way you phrased full range. Thanks for the help!
post #1378 of 2163 Old 12-28-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You answered my question. I just misunderstood the way you phrased full range. Thanks for the help!

Hey, absolutely no problem; if you do decide to experiment with 60Hz on the RTi12's, I'd be interested in hearing what your thoughts are...

2-CHANNEL:
post #1379 of 2163 Old 12-28-2015, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Same experience here. I'm getting into more 2 ch listening and got the same result with my Monitor Audio Silver 10s. 18" from the front wall was good but at 31" (1' wider) everything was much better except it lost some low end. Sub coming this weekend. Moving the listen position forward did not yield the same results.
post #1380 of 2163 Old 01-01-2016, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello! I don't post very often, I spend most of my time on AVS reading as much as I can, but I saw this thread and thought i'd post some pictures of my home office.

I have seperate 2-Channel systems for my turntable and my computer, both with Polk speakers and a sub on the PC. I do all of my music listening (and procrastinating) here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Polk Audio Rti A9 Floorstanding Speaker , Rega , Sonus Faber , B W , Mcintosh Labs , Arcam , Denon , Vienna Acoustics , Auralex , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Marantz , Pioneer , Psb , Velodyne , Sonos , Nad , Polk Audio , Infinity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page